Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Did you not find their tweet borderline racist?

"Always bet on black"

Absolutely. Trying to tap into whatever was left of a dying controversy. As I said, their marketing is real bottom of the barrel stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Incredible numbers allowing for the fact the weigh ins were on live tv.

Did you not find their tweet borderline racist?

"Always bet on black"

That is not even close to racism. If you think it's racism you need to go and look and the definition of racism. Same as ever body else crying over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You weren't wrong!

Did you think Conor would look as drawn out making weight though?

He didn't look as bad as he did when he was making 145, but he still didn't look great to be fair.

He looked very dehydrated and drawn facially which I have to say is a good thing (to an extent).

Most of his best performances have come when he weighed in looking like Skeletor so I do believe there is something in the weight-cut process that focuses his mind.

On the other hand, he looked much better on the scales for UFC 205 and he weighed in for that at 154.4lbs. Amazing what 1.4lbs difference can make... unless of course he weighs more than he did last year.

No idea how someone could put a positive spin on looking dehydrated and gaunt, but you did it, haha.

Personally to me his best performance was Diaz 2, he cut nothing and looked fit and healthy. It's an interesting split on the weights, Floyd didn't have to cut for his for sure, Conor probably cut 10-15?

All will be revealed tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Everyone's done it, have they? How many of them experienced the troubles? How many of them have ever been to the North?

Shower of gob****es.

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I know that. But now they just sided with his biggest opponent. Mates of mine who are big gamblers are already claiming they'll boycott Paddy as a result.

Bahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Anyoke shocked by this has never seen paddys marketing before..

It's a stroke of genius, it's publicity all over the world..

Anything they lose is a drop in the ocean compared to the publicity they'll get!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Everyone's done it, have they? How many of them experienced the troubles? How many of them have ever been to the North?

Shower of gob****es.

I would say 99.9% of people have done that chant..
    Christ there's no need for the OtT faux offence

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Shower of gob****es.

I bet you're great craic on a night out.

NOT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

IronStones wrote: »
    Put 2 grand on floyd.this is as close to free money as we can get.
    Pics or gtfo

More bull. And thanked by weldinho who had bravado about his 500-1 odds a few weeks ago but when it came to the crunch he shat himself and has now been put firmly back in his box.

Im all for a bet but I hate spoofers and there are lots coming into this thread from the boxing side.

Hi Weldinho :D Great to see you over here :pac: Still think McGregor only has a 500-1 shot lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gintonious wrote: »
    No idea how someone could put a positive spin on looking dehydrated and gaunt, but you did it, haha.

Personally to me his best performance was Diaz 2, he cut nothing and looked fit and healthy. It's an interesting split on the weights, Floyd didn't have to cut for his for sure, Conor probably cut 10-15?

All will be revealed tomorrow

I'd agree with WL here. When Diaz 1 happened he didn't cut at all, looked bloated, and his energy levels suffered badly, his nutritionist Lockhart spoke about it during Diaz 2 and they wanted to bring back some sort of cut just so he felt it, they believe the cut helped focus him, made him more hungry for the fight etc.

As soon as I saw White Walker McGregor back tonight I feel he's gonna be sharp tomorrow. He's got his abs back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Bahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Anyoke shocked by this has never seen paddys marketing before..

It's a stroke of genius, it's publicity all over the world..

Anything they lose is a drop in the ocean compared to the publicity they'll get!

Fair enough, sat badly with me and many others, but ya maybe they'll gain more publicity than those noses they've put out of joint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Muahahaha wrote: »
    More bull. And thanked by weldinho who had bravado about his 500-1 odds a few weeks ago but when it came to the crunch he shat himself and has now been put firmly back in his box.

Im all for a bet but I hate spoofers and there are lots coming into this thread from the boxing side.

Hi Weldinho :D Great to see you over here :pac: Still think McGregor only has a 500-1 shot lol!

You are embarrassing yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You are embarrassing yourself.

Aren't we all though really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why? I ****ing can't stand Paddy Power and their Nuts/Zoo magazine approach to marketing through "banter" but that was a pretty smart move. They made the decision to pay out, took a bit of flak for it from some "true believers" on the internet for a day or so, and then doubled down on it tonight. All in all quite funny, or at least mildly amusing.

It's just business. An awful, shady, murky one at that but business nonetheless. There will be less than negligible impact on punters using them.

Paying out on Floyd early was the most obvious move ever.

Shower of gob****es.

Which is probably why they are gob****es about it.

Conor looked grand by the way. If you want to see him look like a boiled sh1te, check him out before the Mendes fight. Tbf he wasn't well that week apparently, aside from the weight cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I bet you're great craic on a night out.

NOT

Hahaha, fantastic. If you and your cool as **** mates get a kick out of the Dutch courage you get from your bag of cheap cans on a Saturday night to break out into an aul sing song then who am I to criticise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Just ordered this fight on ppv. Can't wait, I believe in Conor.
    K.O. in four...

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Hahaha, fantastic. If you and your cool as **** mates get a kick out of the Dutch courage you get from your bag of cheap cans on a Saturday night to break out into an aul sing song then who am I to criticise?

I'd rather be drinking my cheap cans of beer and having the craic rather than crying on an internet forum about young guys and girls having a good time and enjoying themselves in Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

I hope there's no booing of the US anthem tomorrow night. Would reflect poorly on us to such a huge worldwide audience and Americans are ultra sensitive when it comes to flags and anthem (see Colin Kapaernick) - GSTQ didn't provoke any booing in Croke Park so you'd like to think the long history of Irish fans of all sports respecting anthems remains in tact tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

noc1980 wrote: »
    I hope there's no booing of the US anthem tomorrow night. Would reflect poorly on us to such a huge worldwide audience and Americans are ultra sensitive when it comes to flags and anthem (see Colin Kapaernick) - GSTQ didn't provoke any booing in Croke Park so you'd like to think the long history of Irish fans of all sports respecting anthems remains in tact tomorrow night.

It didnt go down well the night Hatton fought Floyd. But i really dont think that will happen.

Actually, how many Irish are we expecting to see in the arena? With the cost of those tickets i can't see it being packed with tricolours like the pressers were. In fact i hope there is a lot because the last time the tickets were this expensive (Pacquiao fight) the atmosphere was atrocious. All big wigs making it sound more like an awards ceremony than a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

noc1980 wrote: »

What Gilmour said ...

There'll be very few Irish at this fight. The lowest priced ticket was $500 and they were snapped up in seconds. If I had to take a rough guess between Irish people who traveled and American-Irish you might have maybe 3,000 in the arena. Plenty of American-Irish with money.

Crowd should still be on Conor's side by default of Mayweather being a tool everyone dislikes. Also whether it's discussed or not, there's definitely a simmering under-culture of racial tension in America right now and a small % of the crowd will just cheer for the white guy.

Conor has attracted a lot of fans from the alt-right and white pride movements lately also, partly through the "dance for me boy" thing and partly through JK identifying as a "Proud Boy", which were the group who partially organised the White Power/Neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville.

Anyway, whichever way you spin all of the above, it's human nature to root for the underdog so crowd will be very positive :)

• Advertisement

1:14 to be fair re-enforces everything Subcomandante and EagerBeaverer have been saying lol. Not good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

1:14 to be fair re-enforces everything Subcomandante and EagerBeaverer have been saying lol. Not good!

Look, it's August, it's a few hours from major cities in California, there's always bound to be pissed up J1 students. That's not a bad thing, just reality.

Look, it's August, it's a few hours from major cities in California, there's always bound to be pissed up J1 students. That's not a bad thing, just reality.

True.

Anyway 27 hours until it's done and hopefully regardless of result they put on a good scrap.

I'm a tiny bit worried after listening to one of the interviews Owen Roddy did today. I was under the impression that all the team knew how amazing Floyd is and were confident in spite of this fact. But the way he was talking was as if he didn't think Floyd was anything special - completely dismissed a body jab question, saying "we have the answer to that", then basically said Floyd is too predictable.

If that's truly what he thinks, and if it reflects the overall mood in camp, this could turn out very ugly, very quickly. Floyd is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

True.

I'm a tiny bit worried after listening to one of the interviews Owen Roddy did today. I was under the impression that all the team knew how amazing Floyd is and were confident in spite of this fact. But the way he was talking was as if he didn't think Floyd was anything special - completely dismissed a body jab question, saying "we have the answer to that", then basically said Floyd is too predictable.

If that's truly what he thinks, and if it reflects the overall mood in camp, this could turn out very ugly, very quickly. Floyd is brilliant.

I don't think that mindset is any more accurate than the portrayal of Floyd going to roller discos and eating whoppers. I'd say both camps are far more aware of the skill sets and respectful of the abilities of the other than they'd be honest about.

I don't think that mindset is any more accurate than the portrayal of Floyd going to roller discos and eating whoppers. I'd say both camps are far more aware of the skill sets and respectful of the abilities of the other than they'd be honest about.

Yeah you're probably right. It's just the way he said it so dismissively that gave me a few jitters. The body jab is one of Floyd's best punches he has landed on everyone, so I don't see how they have "the answer" to it unless he means Conor will take the shot comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

True.

Anyway 27 hours until it's done and hopefully regardless of result they put on a good scrap.

I mentioned it weeks ago about the Robert Guerrero fight, Floyd shoots the straight right to the body against southpaws, a dangerous and very technical punch to pull off repeatedly. The answer to that is the left uppercut. I'm sure thats part of their plan, but it comes down to if Conor has the reflexes and speed to do so. He has the reach, but the speed? We'll find out tomorrow because Floyd will without a doubt be launching them in to his mid section (which i have to say judging from tonights weigh in, is absolutely not ready to take multiple body shots for a series of rounds)

If he thinks Floyd is predictable then yeah, its not sounding good.

What do people make of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Always bet on black" is a famous (or maybe not) line delivered by Wesley Snipes in Passenger 57...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Jesus Wept wrote: »

He is brain damaged. He can barely formulate a sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Jesus Wept wrote: »

Come on McConor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement