Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

There is no logical reasons to believe Conor will win other than stupid stats people are coming out with. Conor will get finished, I was worried there might be a fix but I think after watching the weigh in last night that there is nothing dodgy at play. Floyd wins by finish between round 2-7 and Conor gets made to look like an absolute amateur. I am looking forward to this farce being over in a few hours. I will be watching tonight more for the spectacle over anything else, this 'fight' is a farce that should have never been sanctioned.

edit: I hope Conors does not get hurt tonight, because he really could :( I hope Conor gets out intact and can come back to UFC asap.

There's lots of logical reasons to believe he will win but you need an open mind to visualize how this fight will look stylistically with his karate stance and distance. If you can see that clearly in your mind, and how the timing on those shots differs from boxing, there's a clear path to victory.

Conor is an expert with his hands fighting at kicking distance from a karate stance. Floyd is not an expert under those conditions and will need at least a couple of rounds to adjust to it.

How is this fight a farce? You might believe that but at the end of the day whether you like it or not, McGregor fully believes he can beat Floyd and he has put in the weeks of hard work in preparation

Its a farce because the greatest boxer of all time is fighting someone with a record of 0-0 :pac::pac::pac::pac: That isn't so hard to understand.

I don't care what Conor thinks, he hasn't proven that he can last in a ring with Mayweather therefore this should not have been sanctioned. A fighter couldn't get sanctioned to fight Andre Ward by the same commission a few months ago because he of the skill difference, the guy was ranked 15th in the world and had a record of 19-1....................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

There are very good logical reasons to believe Conor will win and to believe Floyd will win.

Logic suggest 49 -0 beats 0-0 everytime

There's lots of logical reasons to believe he will win but you need an open mind to visualize how this fight will look stylistically with his karate stance and distance. If you can see that clearly in your mind, and how the timing on those shots differs from boxing, there's a clear path to victory.

Conor is an expert with his hands fighting at kicking distance from a karate stance. Floyd is not an expert under those conditions and will need at least a couple of rounds to adjust to it.

I generally respect your opinion on things regarding MMA, you are normally good with your posts.

In saying that, regarding this fight in my opinion you have been talking nonsense for months now and I think you'll be proven horribly wrong in a few hours. Talking about street fights and karate stances. This is a boxing fight with Queensberry rules, punches only and Conor will do nothing to Floyd. Its not an attack on you, I do mostly enjoy reading your posts when you are talking about MMA. I think you are just very biased when it comes to Conor and you are blinded by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Great stuff by Andrew here calling out the boxing communities ignorance of Conor and is very confident of victory. (He's been in the sparring sessions):

Someone on McGregors payroll backs McGregor.

And we'll see if it was ignorance in the early hours of the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great stuff by Andrew here calling out the boxing communities ignorance of Conor and is very confident of victory. (He's been in the sparring sessions):

And when Floyd wins with ease will it be him the ignorant one, or still, the Boxing community for knowing sh1t?

I generally respect your opinion on things regarding MMA, you are normally good with your posts.

In saying that, regarding this fight in my opinion you have been talking nonsense for months now and I think you'll be proven horribly wrong in a few hours. Talking about street fights and karate stances. This is a boxing fight with Queensberry rules, punches only and Conor will do nothing to Floyd. Its not an attack on you, I do mostly enjoy reading your posts when you are talking about MMA. I think you are just very biased when it comes to Conor and you are blinded by it.

It's only nonsense if you can't see the wood from the trees.

The fact is this: Conor himself has repeatedly told Floyd he'd strangle him in a 'real fight'. He's not saying that to waste his breath. He's re-enforcing in Floyd's mind that as fighters, regardless of rules, there is one superior fighter - Conor. That's designed to attack Floyd's ego which is his biggest weakness in my view.

As for the karate stance, we clearly see Conor landing shots on Paulie from his karate stance. There's no law against a karate stance in a boxing ring, clearly, and Conor is an expert with his hands from this stance.

The "Queensbury Rules" mean what? They mean Conor can only use his fists to connect on Floyd. They still leave tons of wiggle room in the rules for HOW you connect those fists. They don't limit stances (or stance switching), they don't specify a distance you need to box from, they don't prevent kick faints, they don't prevent jumps.

Just because "boxers don't usually do that stuff" doesn't mean it can't be effective. It can 100% be effective. The only question is: "for how long?".

You might think I'm talking nonsense but you're not even attempting to open your mind beyond 49-0 and 0-0.

You've NEVER seen Floyd fight a boxer standing in a karate stance, employing footwork more suited to MMA, and you're assuming he can deal with it. Sure, he can probably deal with it after a few rounds to get his timing. Or maybe he can't. Maybe in those few rounds he gets stunned badly and is running uphill from thereafter.

All questions will be answered tonight. I'm fully willing to admit I was misguided and delusional if this turns out to be the fight you say it is going to be with Conor not landing a punch.

All questions will be answered tonight. I'm fully willing to admit I was misguided and delusional if this turns out to be the fight you say it is going to be with Conor not landing a punch.

Just checking..

If Conor lands punches and still loses are you in the clear as regards being misguided-delusional?

It's only nonsense if you can't see the wood from the trees.

The fact is this: Conor himself has repeatedly told Floyd he'd strangle him in a 'real fight'. He's not saying that to waste his breath. He's re-enforcing in Floyd's mind that as fighters, regardless of rules, there is one superior fighter - Conor. That's designed to attack Floyd's ego which is his biggest weakness in my view.

As for the karate stance, we clearly see Conor landing shots on Paulie from his karate stance. There's no law against a karate stance in a boxing ring, clearly, and Conor is an expert with his hands from this stance.

The "Queensbury Rules" mean what? They mean Conor can only use his fists to connect on Floyd. They still leave tons of wiggle room in the rules for HOW you connect those fists. They don't limit stances (or stance switching), they don't specify a distance you need to box from, they don't prevent kick faints, they don't prevent jumps.

Just because "boxers don't usually do that stuff" doesn't mean it can't be effective. It can 100% be effective. The only question is: "for how long?".

You might think I'm talking nonsense but you're not even attempting to open your mind beyond 49-0 and 0-0.

You've NEVER seen Floyd fight a boxer standing in a karate stance, employing footwork more suited to MMA, and you're assuming he can deal with it. Sure, he can probably deal with it after a few rounds to get his timing. Or maybe he can't. Maybe in those few rounds he gets stunned badly and is running uphill from thereafter.

I am a massive mma fan and not really that big into boxing, I'd only love to be wrong tonight. If I am wrong I'll be on here cheering for Conor but there is 0.001% chance unfortunately :(

I am a massive mma fan and not really that big into boxing, I'd only love to be wrong tonight. If I am wrong I'll be on here cheering for Conor but there is 0.001% chance unfortunately :(

As an MMA fan and not really a boxing fan you're as rare as hen's teeth on this topic..but spot on nonetheless!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Just checking..

If Conor lands punches and still loses are you in the clear as regards being misguided-delusional?

If Conor loses full stop I was wrong in my pick.

I picked Demian Maia to dominate Woodley and was badly wrong there too. I'm sure we've all picked fights and been wrong.

If he loses a split-decision after dropping Floyd twice in a war, for example, then it was the boxing community who was delusional in their estimation he wouldn't land a punch.

Anybody saying one fighter is 100% certain to win doesn't know what they are talking about. There could be a clash of heads after 2 seconds that splits one of them open so badly that it alters the outcome of the fight. Either fighter could tear their ACL, pull a hamstring, whatever.

It's a fight. Anything can happen tonight but I'm confident. I see Floyd having difficulty closing the distance early on.

Of course anything could happen. But you're going for the most unlikely result (Conor on points) in sports history..so not sure you need to bring up struck by lightning type scenarios for your pick..

Conor may well land punches...means nothing...

May allow you to have a go at Max Kellernan if that eases the pain..

Btw, I didn't ask if you were wrong in your pick. I asked are you in the clear as regards being misguided-delusional-clueless in your pick should Conor lose?

No matter what one's pick or view on this fight, I wanna wish Conor luck tonight, and above all health and safety. Same to Floyd.

People sometimes get too caught up in the hype and don't realise that two men are potentially putting their lives on the line for our entertainment. Being paid well..well, yes. But what use is money if something awful happened..

Conor..wishing you well...

Btw, I didn't ask if you were wrong in your pick. I asked are you in the clear as regards being misguided-delusional-clueless in your pick should Conor lose?

If he loses, I was wrong.

Delusional maybe. If we witness a Hagler-Hearns type fight that goes to 115-114 scorecards with both men being knocked down, then it was very clear Conor belonged in that ring even in defeat.

If he gets destroyed in 2 rounds or embarrassed over 12 rounds with a 120-108 type scorecard, then it's clear I was suffering delusion.

There are no "moral victories" here for Conor, it's either win or lose. But in terms of his potential future in boxing, he would have to be extremely competitive.

Now, let me ask you a question. How many rounds do you think Conor will win if it goes the distance?

If he loses, I was wrong.

Delusional maybe. If we witness a Hagler-Hearns type fight that goes to 115-114 scorecards with both men being knocked down, then it was very clear Conor belonged in that ring even in defeat.

If he gets destroyed in 2 rounds or embarrassed over 12 rounds with a 120-108 type scorecard, then it's clear I was suffering delusion.

There are no "moral victories" here for Conor, it's either win or lose. But in terms of his potential future in boxing, he would have to be extremely competitive.

Now, let me ask you a question. How many rounds do you think Conor will win if it goes the distance?
    I know the question wasn't asked to me but my answer would be 0 and either way, no matter what happens it wont go the distance.

I would put money down on Floyd to win via KO/TKO but the only thing stopping me is the chance that Conor can get disqualified and Floyd winning by DQ.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Right lads, in the pub having a pint.

I hope, whatever the result, we all stay cool with each other tomorrow.

It's a spectacle no matter what, so that alone should be embraced.

Enjoy the fight regardless, see you all tomorrow!

Be good everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Great stuff by Andrew here calling out the boxing communities ignorance of Conor and is very confident of victory.

He's just a shill really. No real reason to believe what he's saying.

Assuming both are trying to win each rds Conor wins 0 rds..

Of course, we know sometimes boxers ease up, take breathers and don't try too hard for whatever reason.

Conor is not skilled or capable enough to take any rd off a Floyd Mayweather who wants to win said rd..

I mean, if I thought otherwise I could easily think that Conor can win on points..

Put it this way..if this was a 1 rd fight Conor loses. I would be confident in that.

If they put in a stipulation that the only way Floyd can win is by winning every minute of every rd that is fought I would be confident he wins..

I know the question wasn't asked to me but my answer would be 0 and either way, no matter what happens it wont go the distance.

I would put money down on Floyd to win via KO/TKO but the only thing stopping me is the chance that Conor can get disqualified and Floyd winning by DQ.....

Ok. I believe Conor will win 2 out of the first 3 rounds (if the fight goes that far!).
    Effects wrote: »
    He's just a shill really. No real reason to believe what he's saying.

Andrew was there in Sweden when Conor made his UFC debut, he was there when Conor fought on Micky Mouse Irish cards giving him a platform when there was little incentive to do so. I know for a fact he got himself into debt traipsing around all these shows to try make a career for himself, he wasn't making anything much from Severe.

He's far from a "shill". He's been a supporter of Conor and Irish MMA without a great incentive for years and now he's finally getting paid to do what he loves.

That's brilliant.

I don't get why people call Andrew and Ariel Helwani shills and sell-outs, it's clear they both have tremendous passion for the sport, I don't know why we always seem to begrudge people making a few bob.

Assuming both are trying to win each rds Conor wins 0 rds..

Of course, we know sometimes boxers ease up, take breathers and don't try too hard for whatever reason.

Conor is not skilled or capable enough to take any rd off a Floyd Mayweather who wants to win said rd..

I mean, if I thought otherwise I could easily think that Conor can win on points..

Put it this way..if this was a 1 rd fight Conor loses. I would be confident in that.

If they put in a stipulation that the only way Floyd can win is by winning every minute of every rd that is fought I would be confident he wins..

So your answer is:

"Conor will win 0 rounds but if he does win rounds here are my excuses:"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

At the very least, I will be happy if Conor puts Floyd on his ass at least once.

After that, anything else is a bonus.

So your answer is:

FFS...

I don't care if he wins a rd..

He is not winning this fight...

One rd, two or 50... he won't win...

If he wins rd or rds tomorrow I don't care...

Your bringing up these possibilities means F all..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am a massive mma fan and not really that big into boxing, I'd only love to be wrong tonight. If I am wrong I'll be on here cheering for Conor but there is 0.001% chance unfortunately

Me too:(

I've read all the arguments put forward. I've looked at the back and forth between the boxing and MMA regulars over the past few months.

The logical and analytical outcome is simply that Floyd Mayweather, easily ranked as one of the top ten (five maybe?) Boxers of all time is going up against an 0-0 MMA star tonight. In a boxing match. We can talk about styles all we want but these are the cold hard facts of the case. Mayweather wins and he probably decides when and how.

I'd love to be wrong, I'll be rooting for McGregor but unfortunately I cannot see a scenario playing out where he wins tonight.

So your answer is:

I honestly can see this ending in the first two rounds. I think Conor is going to rush in and start trying weird and akward shots hoping for an early knockouta nd I think Floyd counters him.... then finishes him early. In saying that if Conor hits a hail mary at any time it will also be very early, either way this fight ends real early in my opinion

FFS...

I don't care if he wins a rd..

Your bringing up these possibilities means F all..

:pac: You were the one saying he'd barely land a punch on a pro boxer, that he can't beat an Irish club boxer, can't beat an Irish intermediate or amateur boxer.

Now you're saying you "don't care" if he wins rounds off the P4P best boxer of the last 20 years? You're saying you don't care if he does something that very few men have ever achieved.

Enjoy the fight Walsh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How is this fight a farce? You might believe that but at the end of the day whether you like it or not, McGregor fully believes he can beat Floyd and he has put in the weeks of hard work in preparation

Weeks of hard work ,hope he isnt to disappointed after Flyods years of hard work and experience.

I honestly cant believe some the stuff being spouted here.Come back to the real world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

paulie on sky been bitter as a lemon ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

As an MMA fan and not really a boxing fan you're as rare as hen's teeth on this topic..but spot on nonetheless!

To be fair, i've been following this fight on the Reddit MMA page and they're pretty much unanimous in their opinion that Floyd wins, and wins well. New MMA fans who came to the sport through Conor seem to have a little more belief.

Forget guys like Brendan Schaub, he's just self promoting.

You too, wonder.

And I enjoyed your MMA article posted here by the way..

• Advertisement

:pac: You were the one saying he'd barely land a punch on a pro boxer, that he can't beat an Irish club boxer, can't beat an Irish intermediate or amateur boxer.

Now you're saying you "don't care" if he wins rounds off the P4P best boxer of the last 20 years? You're saying you don't care if he does something that very few men have ever achieved.

To be fair Conor managing to winning round 1 and then getting KO'd in round two wouldn't do him much good :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement