Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Common sense clearly says Floyd but my heart is saying Conor. If he somehow pulls this off, the level of saltyness from some around here will be biblical and I want to see that nearly as much as a McGregor win :pac:

To be fair, i've been following this fight on the Reddit MMA page and they're pretty much unanimous in their opinion that Floyd wins, and wins well. New MMA fans who came to the sport through Conor seem to have a little more belief.

Forget guys like Brendan Schaub, he's just self promoting.

Yeah Schaub knows by saying sh1t like "Conor can win this", "Conor will win rounds" he will get his name in articles on clickbait sits and get himself some self promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheCatSpangler

Believing McGregor has a 0.001% chance of a victory means believing that every bookmaker in the world has misjudged the likelyhood of him winning by something between a factor of 25,000 to 5000 times. The equivalent of them pricing Real Madrid at odds of 60,000-1, instead of 3 to one to win the champions league.

Conor McGregor is an elite professional athlete and lifelong martial artist, who began boxing at the age of twelve, in his physical prime, after just completing an intensive and proffesional pre-fight boxing camp dedicated to putting him in the best position possible to win a pro boxing match tonight against one specific opponent.

He will be significantly the bigger and stronger man in the ring against an extremely talented fighter, but one who is past his prime by at least five years (an extremely long time in proffesional sports), and has increasingly relied on his clinching and various other methods to try to compensate for his declining speed, reflexes, punching power and stamina (all things admittedly reaching a pretty high peak to begin declining from first).

They will be engaging in a competition that can and frequently does, swing one way or another, based on one well timed, well placed punch thrown in a fraction of one second, in a sport that probably more frequently than any other, results in unexpected or miscalculated predictions and outcomes.

Come now friends, let us not lose the run of ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Duff wrote: »
    the level of saltyness from some around here will be biblical and I want to see that nearly as much as a McGregor win :pac:

+1 :)

Can't see it tho if listening to my head but in never listen to my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

walshb wrote: »
    You too, wonder.

And I enjoyed your MMA articles clear by the way..

Thank you.

My number one aim of the last month was to try explain why I feel this will be a really good fight. I was told a few things by a particular person which gave me great confidence in tonight but I'm not allowed to say them until after the fight.

Ultimately though, regardless of what I heard... it's a fight and anything can happen. I would not be very surprised if Floyd KO's Conor with the first punch he throws because I've seen enough fights now in both sports to know crazy stuff happens all the time.

I expect a great fight. I also expect Conor to be docked a point if the fight goes long :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

He's far from a "shill". He's been a supporter of Conor and Irish MMA without a great incentive for years and now he's finally getting paid to do what he loves.

I don't know why we always seem to begrudge people making a few bob.

I'm well aware of Andrew and what he's sacrificed to get where he is now.
    I just meant he's too close to give an unbiased opinion on the fight.

I'm not begrudging him in the least for making 'a few bob'. I'd feel the opposite to be honest. He's put in the ground work when it was hard to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i have no problem with lads saying conor gets bet easy but saying he wont land a punch is nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Weeks of hard work ,hope he isnt to disappointed after Flyods years of hard work and experience.

I honestly cant believe some the stuff being spouted here.Come back to the real world.

This is the thing tho, boxing is great, i was in Cork in a hotel while my nan and grandad went to ebuank vs collins 2. i stayed up with my other grandad watching tyson v hollyfield 2 and have followed boxing ever since i truly love it as as sport.

I found MMA very early and latched onto that and loved it even more than boxing and truth be told because at the time it seemed more brutal.

Both produce amazing athletes and people and also *****.

This week and whole build up has made for very strange reading.. same people getting very butthurt about one lame fact after another on both sides and yet them same people articulate themselves so well in facts and good honest points on all sides.

It seems like tribalism.... as a dub GAA fan i don't even care to read that thread for the savagery and yet i cant take my eyes of this one or the boxing thread. The Soccer forum is the full not nut cases like AIG and i haven't got the stomach for that.

Hope we all enjoy the fight and admit that it is 2 mental ****ers that got to the very very top trying to hit each other in the face, one may be better adjusted in one thing and vice versa but who are we to diminish the skill we ourselves cannot obtain.

108b05f78cc7f585a94321573ce28068.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Believing McGregor has a 0.001% chance of a victory means believing that every bookmaker in the world has misjudged the likelyhood of him winning by something between a factor of 25,000 to 5000 times. The equivalent of them pricing Real Madrid at odds of 60,000-1, instead of 3 to one to win the champions league.

Conor McGregor is an elite professional athlete and lifelong martial artist, who began boxing at the age of twelve, in his physical prime, after just completing an intensive and proffesional pre-fight boxing camp dedicated to putting him in the best position possible to win a pro boxing match tonight against one specific opponent.

He will be significantly the bigger and stronger man in the ring against an extremely talented fighter, but one who is past his prime by at least five years (an extremely long time in proffesional sports), and has increasingly relied on his clinching and various other methods to try to compensate for his declining speed, reflexes, punching power and stamina (all things admittedly reaching a pretty high peak to begin declining from first).

They will be engaging in a competition that can and frequently does, swing one way or another, based on one well timed, well placed punch thrown in a fraction of one second, in a sport that probably more frequently than any other, results in unexpected or miscalculated predictions and outcomes.

Come now friends, let us not lose the run of ourselves.

Bookies know that people will blindly back mcgregor regardless of odds or how likely he actually is to win. By giving shorter odds they make people think he has a shot and they hand over more cash to the bookies.
    Far less people are betting on Mayweather so they can afford to offer better odds to create the illusion of a contest.

Same thing happens in football with Liverpool and man united, they always have shorter odds than they should cos bookies know people will back them regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

My mate over for the fight and he picked up ticket today for $1450 on stubhub , originally was selling for $7500

He said he's 2 rows back from front

Plenty tickets that they desperate to sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

sc86 wrote: »
    paulie on sky been bitter as a lemon ha

I heard he's been announced as the new headline act in Mayweathers Girls Collection ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

sc86 wrote: »
    i have no problem with lads saying conor gets bet easy but saying he wont land a punch is nonsense

It's an expression, don't take it so literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Its a farce because the greatest boxer of all time is fighting someone with a record of 0-0 :pac::pac::pac::pac: That isn't so hard to understand.

I don't care what Conor thinks, he hasn't proven that he can last in a ring with Mayweather therefore this should not have been sanctioned. A fighter couldn't get sanctioned to fight Andre Ward by the same commission a few months ago because he of the skill difference, the guy was ranked 15th in the world and had a record of 19-1....................

Everything is True bar 'greatest of all time'. He is far from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My mate over for the fight and he picked up ticket today for $1450 on stubhub , originally was selling for $7500

So third row for €1200. Find that hard to believe.

Originally Posted by Deleted User viewpost.gif
    Its a farce because the greatest boxer of all time is fighting someone with a record of 0-0 pacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gif That isn't so hard to understand.

I don't care what Conor thinks, he hasn't proven that he can last in a ring with Mayweather therefore this should not have been sanctioned. A fighter couldn't get sanctioned to fight Andre Ward by the same commission a few months ago because he of the skill difference, the guy was ranked 15th in the world and had a record of 19-1....................

You think they would sanction say Tyson Fury vs Stipe in MMA ? genuine question i bet they would and put it down to height and reach bla bla bla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Thank you.

It took until fight Night but wonder and walashie have finally revealed their true feelings

https://youtu.be/-7hjdC8-jbw

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Mayweather for me......I would love to see Connor win but he is fighting an all time great, I think his downfall will be lots of body shots that take the wind out of his sails, thats how Mayweather will win, not by a clean knockout but with vicious body shots..........

Originally Posted by Deleted User viewpost.gif
    Its a farce because the greatest boxer of all time is fighting someone with a record of 0-0 pacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gifpacman.gif That isn't so hard to understand.

You think they would sanction say Tyson Fury vs Stipe in MMA ? genuine question i bet they would and put it down to height and reach bla bla bla

Of course they wouldn't because there isn't much money to be made from Tyson v Stipe. Only reason the commission let this fight go ahead was because of the money involved and that is wrong, their job is to protect the fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I would really like Conor to win.

As much as I've found a lot of his 'persona' unedifying in the build up, you see the likes of the one-on-one interviews in recent days where it's very different and the latter is the one you find endearing.

And as much as you could buy in to the narrative that his style is so far removed from anything Mayweather has had to deal with before and that he's got more power, Mayweather didn't get to 49-0 without being able to adjust to different styles. He's an exquisite boxer.

Sometimes watching Mayweather is a throwback to watching Milan hammer an opponent 1-0 with a masterclass from Franco Baresi.

I don't necessarily think it's going to be a walk in the park but I think he throws a lot to the body and wears Conor down and it's stopped in rds 7-9.

That said, I'd love to see Conor spark him out. It would probably mean the Boxing forum would have to be closed temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

wonderfulllife and walsh b in fix scandle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Deedsie wrote: »
    This is how I think it will go too unfortunately... attempting the straight left leaves the body open for punishment, McGregor will be afraid to throw it after not too long. Hope I am wrong.

I think it's fair to say Conor McGregor has had some luck (not to diminish his work ethic) during his rise, hope he gets some more lucky breaks (Floyd's fist) tonight.

I wouldn't be a fan of everything about Conor, unpleasant stuff at times but he is one of our own and I hope he goes out and catches Floyd like no one else has ever managed before.

Luck?

Please enlighten me?

This is a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Still really good stuff from gate point-of-view.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/901523100990283776

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Eubank Snr reckons Conor can win, and sure why not.

Once met Eubanks on a busy city street, he opted to proceed walking on the white line stopping traffic, even when two perfectly good wide pavements were available. Couple of people beeped the horns briefly, but no one actually got out of their cars to question his logic.

I would really like Conor to win.

<<re Floyd>> He's an exquisite boxer.

That said, I'd love to see Conor spark him out.

This pretty much sums up my feelings to a tee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Google is failing me.

What time does the fight begin GMT and what station?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Google is failing me.

What time does the fight begin GMT and what station?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057773614

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Great stuff by Andrew here calling out the boxing communities ignorance of Conor and is very confident of victory. (He's been in the sparring sessions):

Been meaning to say, I've enjoyed watching this guys journey in recent years, becoming very polished and professional in his interviews.

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Been meaning to say, I've enjoyed watching this guys journey in recent years, becoming very polished and professional in his interviews.

i was in very dark place a few years ago and he ran back from an event to get in contact with me and helped me right the way through and i still get messages from him asking how i am, Andrew has character and integrity and i do take offense to people calling him a shill as they don't know him.

He is brilliant at his job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Mayweather for me......I would love to see Connor win but he is fighting an all time great, I think his downfall will be lots of body shots that take the wind out of his sails, thats how Mayweather will win, not by a clean knockout but with vicious body shots..........
    Yeap,I think he will go for the body and eventually get the stoppage as opposed to the KO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement