Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Don't teach your kids to dream, the world can't support that many Astronauts and Ballerinas.

Well certainly don't teach your kids to beat the crap out of the mother of their children.

A lot of young people dream of becoming a nurse, a doctor, a vet, a carer, an engineer, a carpenter, a soldier, a teacher. Some even just dream of being happy in whatever they do.

I'm glad for you that you have found joy in the misfortune of Conor but absolutely keep chasing your dreams kids. If you don't get enough points in the Leaving Cert, that's not the end - it's not even the beginning of the end.

Keep pushing, keep ignoring negativity, begrudgery and condescension and follow your dreams. The world might not need too many more astronauts but it most certainly does not need more adults miserable in what they do to put food on the table.

People can diminish what Conor did in there all they want but the truth is Floyd walked him down from round 4 onwards and admitted he thought he'd get Conor out of there in the 6th or 7th and couldn't.

Conor didn't quit and he left that ring on his feet.

He handled himself like a champion and fought like a champion against a superior opponent. I'm proud of him.

And keep dreaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭mattser

Well certainly don't teach your kids to beat the crap out of the mother of their children.

A lot of young people dream of becoming a nurse, a doctor, a vet, a carer, an engineer, a carpenter, a soldier, a teacher. Some even just dream of being happy in whatever they do.

I'm glad for you that you have found joy in the misfortune of Conor but absolutely keep chasing your dreams kids. If you don't get enough points in the Leaving Cert, that's not the end - it's not even the beginning of the end.

Keep pushing, keep ignoring negativity, begrudgery and condescension and follow your dreams. The world might not need too many more astronauts but it most certainly does not need more adults miserable in what they do to put food on the table.

People can diminish what Conor did in there all they want but the truth is Floyd walked him down from round 4 onwards and admitted he thought he'd get Conor out of there in the 6th or 7th and couldn't.

Conor didn't quit and he left that ring on his feet.

He handled himself like a champion and fought like a champion against a superior opponent. I'm proud of him.

And keep dreaming.

Eh.........I think he still lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Adding about 30 lbs of muscle will do that

From when though, he's been the same size for a good while. His body has filled out at a normal rate IMO.

He times that uppercut beautifully, it's a good defensive tool but Floyd had it read the moment he got hit with it. Didn't work from than on, Floyd would pivot left or right when he was walking in after that. McGregor fell in love with a bit and loaded up too much, should have tried to set up other shots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Great display from Conor, first professional bout against one of the best of all time and he did himself proud. Fared better than most of Mayweather's competitors before. A lot of people not giving him credit because he's brash and in your face, if he was a quiet Irish lad just happy to be there everyone would of said good job. But he only gets the fight for being brash.

Mayweather out boxed him, won handily enough after the first three. Conor just doesn't have the stamina to showcase his skills for 12 rounds, his style will never allow him to. He might of made it competitive if he could.

Excellent interview, good to see he's already thinking about what he did wrong. He rarely covers up, needs to improve. His head movement is good but when tired it's just a target. No doubt it also effects his stamina getting hit so much.

He's wrong though, it was a good stoppage. He was done.

Still my hero though!

• Advertisement

One thing I find amusing is that if you read any other boxing forum like /r/boxing, boxingscene, thesweetscience etc they all give McGregor loads of credit for coming in and looking competitive against the best of the generation.

You go to boards boxing and it's just his compatriots grandstanding about being vindicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Lukker- wrote: »
    One thing I find amusing is that if you read any other boxing forum like /r/boxing, boxingscene, thesweetscience etc they all give McGregor loads of credit for coming in and looking competitive against the best of the generation.

You go to boards boxing and it's just his compatriots grandstanding about being vindicated.

I think he did very well but I don't think he would have a career in pro boxing.

I think he did very well but I don't think he would have a career in pro boxing.

I don't think even Conor thinks that tbf

For me that was actually far more entertaining than MayPac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

From what I've seen I stand by my earlier statement that he would be soundly beaten by Joe Duffy in a boxing match.

He just lacks fundamentals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

From what I've seen I stand by my earlier statement that he would be soundly beaten by Joe Duffy in a boxing match.

Absolutely, a less cautious boxer who is his own size would just walk straight through his punches from round 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Awh fcuk off wonder...Conor was a joke....really disappointed in him....Floyd played him like a fiddle.....he looked stupid in the ring.....out of his dept

Joke is a bit much, he didn't embarrass himself by a long stretch .....he just wasn't very good (surprisingly so) surprising in how non effective he was, I thought he'd have more

I gotta disagree, Duffy has a padded boxing record. Whatever about fundamentals, I think McGregor has got better timing, range, reflexes, Duffy's defence isn't close to that of Mayweather. He'd get lit up in both boxing and mma.

I gotta disagree, Duffy has a padded boxing record. Whatever about fundamentals, I think McGregor has got better timing, range, reflexes, Duffy's defence isn't close to that of Mayweather. He'd get lit up in both boxing and mma.

Duffy's boxing record is nothing to get excited about, but his ring craft is miles ahead of conors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Couple quick points before bed and a well-needed break from the internet :o

1. I'm fully in agreement with Dominick Cruz. He said last October that Conor is a fast-twitch, explosive fighter who can do all the running and cycling he wants and will still gas after 10 mins due to his style of fighting. Basically the Anthony Johnson issue at a lower weight class.

2. The repeated gassing can't be a good look to try sell the Conor McGregor Fast System. Pretty tough sell now and wouldn't be surprised to see the venture fold. You can't keep gassing after 10 mins and sell a $300 cardio program.

3. I put a lot of time, energy and effort into the last month and I'm a bit burned out. I went to the boxing forum and admitted I was deluded in some of my beliefs. John Kavanagh said on last weeks MMA Hour that both camps were certain of victory and one side must be delusional. I hope we hear him publicly say it was Conor's camp delusional because, let's face it, they were and some of us were.

It'd be refreshing to hear that and important for them to grow as a team.

4. I truly hope we never see Conor box ever again.

5. Tremendously proud of how Conor represented the sport tonight and I don't just mean in the ring. He handled himself with dignity and humility. For a lot of people it was their first time seeing a UFC fighter fight and regardless of Floyd's typical slow start, they'd have seen Conor as a good fighter and a brave fighter and respectful in defeat. All good.

6. Both sports won. The fight was fun, both men did themselves proud.

Anyway, I'll be back but taking a break. I'll have to take up chess or something, less research and typing :)

1. I'm fully in agreement with Dominick Cruz. He said last October that Conor is a fast-twitch, explosive fighter who can do all the running and cycling he wants and will still gas after 10 mins due to his style of fighting. Basically the Anthony Johnson issue at a lower weight class.

2. The repeated gassing can't be a good look to try sell the Conor McGregor Fast System. Pretty tough sell now and wouldn't be surprised to see the venture fold. You can't keep gassing after 10 mins and sell a $300 cardio program.

3. I put a lot of time, energy and effort into the last month and I'm a bit burned out. I went to the boxing forum and admitted I was deluded in some of my beliefs. John Kavanagh said on last weeks MMA Hour that both camps were certain of victory and one side must be delusional. I hope we hear him publicly say it was Conor's camp delusional because, let's face it, they were and some of us were.

5. Tremendously proud of how Conor represented the sport tonight and I don't just mean in the ring. He handled himself with dignity and humility. For a lot of people it was their first time seeing a UFC fighter fight and regardless of Floyd's typical slow start, they'd have seen Conor as a good fighter and a brave fighter and respectful in defeat. All good.

6. Both sports won. The fight was fun, both men did themselves proud.

Anyway, I'll be back but taking a break. I'll have to take up chess or something, less research and typing :)

Well earned break!

On the delusional thing, it's obviously true, but also necessary. No point stepping in that ring without thinking you are the best, and that goes for any combat sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Conor's game plan was either wrong or he didn't stick to it and I suspect the latter.

His cardio wasn't good enough and that is (from what I know at the moment) unforgivable. Again, that could be down to the team or else his own discipline and lack of economy in the ring.

I expected Floyd to finish it in 4 so he did better than I expected.... but just not as good as I dared hope.

I don't believe he was embarrassed in the ring but he definitely should have brought more.

For me, it taints both him and Kavangh's aura - the one that has other fighters worried. They were supremely confident in this and they were absolutely wrong.

If they can learn from not winning, they better take heed of every available lesson.

What's needed now is a defence to a belt and a comprehensive win to get him back on track. Fingers crossed that'll happen.

5. Tremendously proud of how Conor represented the sport tonight and I don't just mean in the ring. He handled himself with dignity and humility. For a lot of people it was their first time seeing a UFC fighter fight and regardless of Floyd's typical slow start, they'd have seen Conor as a good fighter and a brave fighter.

Fair Dinkum Wonder.

To be honest I don't think the gassing issue is as big a deal for him in MMA because in 4oz gloves with the ability to follow up when he hurts someone (no standing count for being taking a knee or 10 count for being knocked down) and swarm means he can capitalise on them when they happen.

As long as his takedown defence stays as solid as it's looked (besides the Mendes fight) and he doesn't keep trying to land that stupid lead uppercut all the time he'll do fine against LW's.

There are people who are potentially not great match ups for him, Barboza or Khabib, but over all he'll do very well as is.

Conor put on a good showing all things considered, he didn't embarrass himself.

Better cardio certainly wouldn't have hurt, it might have got him to the end. You have to lay the blame for his poor cardio with Kavanagh - he's supposed to be head coach and in charge of the camp. A good coach would have booted out all the hangers on - poodle head, Byrne, the Dunphys etc - and had an athletes-only camp. These guys cycling and rowing alongside Conor showed what a joke the camp was. More of a 'lets have a laugh with the mates' hangout than a serious athletes camp.

When I saw pics of Conor out cycling in sparkly white gym shoes and an immaculate carbon bike, no helmet, it was obvious this is not a guy who is actually out there putting up the miles on a bike. He's doing a few miles for the cameras, with old ex-cyclists or his fat mates as training partners. Gave him a totally false sense of where his cardio is at. He needed to be out there with a young legit cyclist who would outwork him and show him how weak his cardio really was.

The way you analyse things, I really thing you should give BJJ a lash. I think you'd enjoy it and it would be good for the head too.

If you're looking for advice on where near you would be good, pm me your general area and I'll throw you some suggestions.

If it's a case of not being able to afford gear or membership, send me a pm about that too, I'm sure I've a gi laying around that would fit you and I'm sure we could find someone willing to do a deal price wise.

Honestly, please to pm me and let me see if I can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What was the craic about the fight only being official after 4 rounds? I'm sure I saw that .....not being a big boxing aficionado is that just for this one fight?

in essence if Floyd had been kncoked out inside 4 his record wouldn't have been affected ? or am I punch drunk and imagined the whole thing

• Advertisement

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What was the craic about the fight only being official after 4 rounds? I'm sure I saw that .....not being a big boxing aficionado is that just for this one fight?

in essence if Floyd had been kncoked out inside 4 his record wouldn't have been affected ? or am I punch drunk and imagined the whole thing

If the fight is stopped before the end of the 4th for anything other than a ko/tko/dq it's an NC.

After the 4th they decide it on the judges score cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Onepostanddone

The power that belongs in Conor's hands do not translate at all in boxing gloves.

I think people are being overly generous to Conor. Floyd even gave Conor his back at one stage and let Conor tee off and it had no effect.

Conor's gameplan was terrible given his cardio restrictions.

At least he lasted 10 rounds which is nothing to be embarrassed about. Aldo on Twitter laughing at Conor shows how small he really is.

Conor sacrificed abit of his reputation for 30 million. Id do it.

Finally he is not a boxer and lasted 10 rounds with the greatest. Fair play to him.

Anyone know what the story between Dee and Conor's mother is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

The way you analyse things, I really thing you should give BJJ a lash. I think you'd enjoy it and it would be good for the head too.

If you're looking for advice on where near you would be good, pm me your general area and I'll throw you some suggestions.

If it's a case of not being able to afford gear or membership, send me a pm about that too, I'm sure I've a gi laying around that would fit you and I'm sure we could find someone willing to do a deal price wise.

Honestly, please to pm me and let me see if I can help you out.

Fair play!

Enjoy your well deserved break Wonder, you even had me convinced that Conor would win.

The power that belongs in Conor's hands do not translate at all in boxing gloves.

I think people are being overly generous to Conor. Floyd even gave Conor his back at one stage and let Conor tee off and it had no effect.

Conor's gameplan was terrible given his cardio restrictions.

At least he lasted 10 rounds which is nothing to be embarrassed about. Aldo on Twitter laughing at Conor shows how small he really is.

Conor sacrificed abit of his reputation for 30 million. Id do it.

I don't really think Conor sacrificed much of his rep. He'd have earned a fair bit of respect from boxing fans (not on here mind) for actually standing toe-to-toe with Floyd for so long.

Was gas at the end when he said he turned Floyd into a Mexican

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wonder who'll be the next fighter to face Conor in the Octagon and get notions they can do a Mayweather only to find themselves sparked out within a minute.

zerks wrote: »
    I wonder who'll be the next fighter to face Conor in the Octagon and get notions they can do a Mayweather only to find themselves sparked out within a minute.

I reckon he fights again by the end of the year or he never fights in the octagon again.

I don't know if Ferguson or Lee will be able to fight again that soon after their fight, woodley is out for the next few months rehabbing his shoulder.

I reckon it's Nate or Khabib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sad to see people take pleasure in the defeat of another man.

What a tool.

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/901668806455681024

Used to be a huge fan of Aldo but ever since the Conor loss he's been an absolute twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Why was my bet slip was deleted? I know there is a rule for no after calling but I posted it in various places and talked about it on here before the fight??

Anyway €500 on a TKO at 11/4 returned me a nice €1875. I'm happy.

As for the fight itself it was very unspectacular though I do admit to being worried after 2 rounds :pac:

I have always doubted Conor's cardio. Can anyone tell me why he does no Roadwork? 40-50 minute runs every day should be bread and butter surely and yet he doesn't do it. All his cardio work seems to be high intensity which like in many sports only leads to gassing.

He hasn't said but at a guess he probably does not want to run since he messed up his knee.

I saw a documentary where he was doing road work but that was years ago.
    I've seen worse jabs from other pro's. Conor's jab is never going to be snapping or that fast, it's just a range finder. His punches in the clinch were weak though, expected a bit more power, but it's harder to wind up a punch in boxing because there is less distance with the bigger gloves. Overall not the worst but I'd almost have preferred if he just went hell for leather and gassed himself out within the 3 rounds, it was his only shot.

Overall not the worst, a few shots got Mayweathers respect, which you can't always say that about Mayweather fights. The stamina thing will never be rectified, his natural stamina ceiling is what it is and will never be that high, but he can work on recovering better. He's been conditioned for most of his career to go 15 mins so 36 was always gonna be a step up.

Conor said he saw the cardio issue in sparring, you have to wonder if the team should have game-planed an even more aggressive start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

I think a lot of the reason that McGregor's power doesn't translate to boxing is because he wasn't given the opportunity for good foot placement to allow him to sit on the shot. Look at the gif of the uppercut. He landed the shot but was already moving off balance, and by the time he threw the follow up hook he had one foot in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Landed more punches than pac man could manage.

That's enough for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement