Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Running with proper technique shouldn't hurt the knee but anyway there are other methods like step machine, stationary bike, low intensity rowing. From his training I only saw him doing short sharp intensity cardio which will only do you good for a few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

From what I've seen I stand by my earlier statement that he would be soundly beaten by Joe Duffy in a boxing match.

He just lacks fundamentals.

Someone like Jason Quigley would soundly beat Conor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

backspin. wrote: »
    Someone like Jason Quigley would soundly beat Conor too.

Jason Quigley is a legit potential world class boxer... Joe Duffy would have been a decent journeyman if he'd stayed in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Jason Quigley is a legit potential world class boxer... Joe Duffy would have been a decent journeyman if he'd stayed in boxing.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Jason Quigly earlier. I have no idea about Joe Duffy and if he would beat Conor in a boxing match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

darced wrote: »

I take they're not Irish forums devoid of anti Jackeen bias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just a few things.

Since the fight was announced, I thought it played out like the film The Great White Hype but hoped it wouldn't end the same. It's mad how close it was in the end!

It's obvious a change has to be made in camp with fitness work or maybe that's just way it's going to be with his style of fighting?

I would love to see him fight again by end of year in UFC but can't see it happening. I'd say he's gonna rest up til the new year. If he does come back by December, I see it only for the Diaz fight.

I think ufc/experts/teammates have to stop with this 'high up on a pedestal' view. Between the touch of death, making it sound like he only has to tap you to finish you, does him no favours when it doesn't work. Then teammates saying there is no challenge left for him in MMA, yes there ****ing is. Diaz 3 (even at 155) and Khabib would have me bricking it watching it. Conor has cemented himself as legend superstar status, just let him do what he does best.

Carl Froch is a ****ing tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Running with proper technique shouldn't hurt the knee but anyway there are other methods like step machine, stationary bike, low intensity rowing. From his training I only saw him doing short sharp intensity cardio which will only do you good for a few rounds.

I honestly get the feeling that it is more a mental thing than anything. there is no doubt that he put in serious work and was in good shape from a cardio point of view. Cortez mentioned it as one of his main strengths, and apparently his final round against malignaggi was his best in the infamous 12 round spar. Now obviously the intensity would have been a few notches below the fight last night, but he was gassed after THREE ROUNDS last night.

You see it with front runners quite a bit....when there usual actions do not lead to the usual consequences (ie - hitting someone cleanly and them being rocked / knocked down / hurt), it can lead to an energy dump. Conor's gas tank just fell off a cliff in the first Diaz fight when Diaz started walking through absolute bombs. It happened to an extent in the second fight, but he calmed himself, got through it, and lo and behold he came back out in the 4th round looking the fresher fighter.

Last night he hit Floyd with a couple of clean shots early on that had no effect on him, he saw Floyd was barely breathing and it seemed like he again, drained of all energy very very early, and disproportionately to the level of energy he expended.

He alluded to this after the first Diaz fight, and again last night. Its an unfamiliar position for a man who normally knocks people out quite handily to find themselves in, and it would appear to me an element of panic kicks in when he finds himself in that position. And nothing will drain your tank quicker than panic / anxiety / whatever you want to call it.

This is not me questioning his heart for a minute, as his complete fatigue did not stop him from trying to stay in there, but I definitely feel there is a menta aspect to the gassing that could be addressed every bit as much as his pacing, erergy being put into shots etc....

I thought he did great last night, really surpassed my expectations while simultaneously frustrating me for fighting on the outside so much. Would have loved to see him giving Floyd no space and staying in his face roughing him up. I know its not his game, but it just seemed that trying to beat Floyd at distance was never really going to be a runner. I predicted Floyd to get it done inside three though, so as I say, he faired a lot better than I had feared!

A well earned rest and back to MMA soon I hope.

Joe Duffy would beat Conor in a boxing fight imo

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I honestly get the feeling that it is more a mental thing than anything...

...nothing will drain your tank quicker than panic / anxiety / whatever you want to call it.

This is not me questioning his heart for a minute, as his complete fatigue did not stop him from trying to stay in there, but I definitely feel there is a menta aspect to the gassing that could be addressed every bit as much as his pacing, erergy being put into shots etc....

Seems more like an adrenaline problem to me - wondered same after Diaz 1. Either too much or not being cleared/processed quickly enough?
    Total uneducated speculation here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Seems more like an adrenaline problem to me - wondered same after Diaz 1. Either too much or not being cleared/processed quickly enough?
    Total uneducated speculation here...

I'd agree it could be an adrenaline dump, he gets hyped for the fight goes out guns blazing but when he calms and settled into the fight his energy levels drop of.

Whatever it is we've seen it in both Diaz fights and again tonight.

Edit: typo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Yeah, just before the fight I posted saying he was 'sweating' but it was more than that, he looked shook almost, just as referee was bringing them in together. Never seen him looking like that before.

Well fair play Conor putting it out there about a possible mental block making him tired, not an easy thing for anyone to admit, never mind publicly from someone on that level. Good interview but ffs Ariel, no need to bring up Nate at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

What happened with Dee and his mother? Must've missed it in my bleary eyed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Duff wrote: »
    What happened with Dee and his mother? Must've missed it in my bleary eyed state.

Walk off KO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Lukker- wrote: »
    Walk off KO

Not surprised, she has a vicious auld head on her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

He looks relieved that its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

darced wrote:

That's what his unfiltered accent sounds like. Haha. 100% pure Dub.

Foreign accent syndrome I'd say, even though he reverted to his Crumlin accent.

People who get head trauma can trigger weird things. Like a guy was learning Mandarin and got knocked out and he woke up and fluent even though he only had a few words before.

Another one was some Norwegian who was hit by shrapnel during WW2, woke up with a German accent and was shunned by their countrymen because they thought they were a German spy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Landed more punches than pac man could manage.

That's enough for me.

Lol

Mayweather spent the Pac man fight running and the McGregor fight walking him down in straight lines, but Yeah, whatever floats your boat:D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Lol

Mayweather spent the Pac man fight running and the McGregor fight walking him down in straight lines, but Yeah, whatever floats your boat:D

Doesn't mean a whole lot though, Pac was dreadful in that fight, injury or not, for a volume puncher to land so little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lukker- wrote: »
    Like a guy was learning Mandarin and got knocked out and he woke up and fluent even though he only had a few words before.

Total BS unless you can provide a source.

Effects wrote: »
    Total BS unless you can provide a source.

I heard it on a neuroscience podcast, but I can't find anything other than daily fail article atm cos I'm at work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2740708/Aussie-man-wakes-coma-car-crash-speaking-MANDARIN.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

The MMA boys have a touch of the Guardiola's now. Beaten 9-0 but talking about possession stats.
    Floyd didn't respect his power a single iota.
    He carried him through that fight and even stood off a few potential knockouts.
    He threw 6 punches in round one. I have seen more thrown outside an all night Centra.

All your boys money will eventually be spent, the snake oil will eventually dry up but the photos of Floyd arms aloft will live on forever.

Beaten by a two year retired , "small", "blown out bitch" with a tiny skull and bandy little legs.

Stick your ukelele up your arse.

Broken. Bloodied .Bowed. Beaten like a red headed step child. Boxing and alliteration in its purest form.

Remember kids.Dreams are fanciful.Realism is under rated.

Don't teach your kids to dream, the world can't support that many Astronauts and Ballerinas.

When you get back from vegas make sure you set to work paying off those credit union loans. Banter.ie needs you to sing some songs with one shoe off in Russia next year.

You'll die in the class you were born.

Easy ****ing work.

#Moneyteam

Your very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Onepostanddone

Never felt more disappointed in a icon or hero.

Conor let himself down big time. He is brittle mentally.

I have lived vicariously through his victory and story but now I feel duped.

He just gave up.

Thanks for everything Conor as you have done a lot for me but I think it's all down hill from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks for everything Conor as you have done a lot for me but I think it's all down hill from here

Out of interest what was your original username before you re-registered?

I'm mad for a bottle of Notorious Whiskey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's what the world's finest accent sounds like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Never felt more disappointed in a icon or hero.

Conor let himself down big time. He is brittle mentally.

I have lived vicariously through his victory and story but now I feel duped.

He just gave up.

:rolleyes:

Think I'll take a break from the forum for a while whilst this nonsense is going on.

The lad showed massive heart, fighting the best ever in his first ever pro bout and taking it to the 10th round, gassed himself and still didn't hit the canvas despite having jelly legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement