Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

darced wrote: »

That's his actual accent, what you hear on TV when he's doing interviews is something he puts on to try and sound smarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

That's his real accent. He articulates himself very well for the American audiences, but he was gassed, he wasn't bothered at that stage!

That's his actual accent, what you hear on TV when he's doing interviews is something he puts on to try and sound smarter.

It's not to 'sound smarter', bit condescending there SM to be honest...

McGregor used to practice speaking with a pen in his mouth to improve his pronunciation - he's not media savvy by accident. He knew exactly from day 1 he had to make himself accessible by American audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,457 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

.ak wrote: »
    It's not to 'sound smarter', bit condescending there SM to be honest...

McGregor used to practice speaking with a pen in his mouth to improve his pronunciation - he's not media savvy by accident. He knew exactly from day 1 he had to make himself accessible by American audiences.

Even Michael Bisping did it to an extent. I remember watching old UFC promos and they had to subtitle the poor chap. He's much more articulate now.

Now compare them two to Joseph Duffy on the microphone....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Course it is.

You really talk so much nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Two lads that plied their trade in Crumlin at one stage. Robbie is a real gent too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Any scandal from the after party last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Wonder if McGregor could have one of those high altitude disorders you often hear of cyclists having. Obviously in Dublin, New York etc that's never going to be a problem (pretty much sea level) but Vegas sits at just over 2000ft and it could be a case that his system struggles more than most. Granted, usually people don't struggle until 5000ft or so but in some rare cases they can and especially so if that person is from a low altitude region and is engaging in a high intensity sport.

Remember reading about how you could get 50 cyclists at the same level of fitness but take them to an area of mid to high altitude and some of them will massively under perform for no other apparent reason. There are even certain populations that have a genetic predisposition to struggling in areas of mid to high altitude. Not sure if those born in 80's Crumlin are one of them though :P

• Advertisement

Ah here... sure he's spent weeks and weeks there training before both this and a few MMA fights!

More I think about it the more I'm convinced it's adrenal/endocrine issue. *based on zero scientific evidence of course ;-)
    He hypes himself up, overrides all sense, he has leapfrogged all of the standard work your way up to this training - especially last night, going from 0 to TBE level in one; he overrides all sense and forces himself to face the music and his system every now and then just kicks in to say "seriously?" Crazy highs and lows and cue an adrenaline dump that your system isn't used to dealing with - which makes anyone crash. Suspect that any extracurricular activities/substances were they to ever have happened (allegedly) would not help. Also suspect that in part his post fight bonhomie and grace/bonding are related.

No disrepect tohis achievements or character meant at all by this btw. I have huge admiration for his nerve, smarts, hard work and skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

The MMA boys have a touch of the Guardiola's now. Beaten 9-0 but talking about possession stats.
    Floyd didn't respect his power a single iota.
    He carried him through that fight and even stood off a few potential knockouts.
    He threw 6 punches in round one. I have seen more thrown outside an all night Centra.

All your boys money will eventually be spent, the snake oil will eventually dry up but the photos of Floyd arms aloft will live on forever.

Beaten by a two year retired , "small", "blown out bitch" with a tiny skull and bandy little legs.

Stick your ukelele up your arse.

Broken. Bloodied .Bowed. Beaten like a red headed step child. Boxing and alliteration in its purest form.

Remember kids.Dreams are fanciful.Realism is under rated.

Don't teach your kids to dream, the world can't support that many Astronauts and Ballerinas.

When you get back from vegas make sure you set to work paying off those credit union loans. Banter.ie needs you to sing some songs with one shoe off in Russia next year.

You'll die in the class you were born.

Easy ****ing work.

#Moneyteam

Virgin. Get out of your box room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Just took the day to re-watch and digest the fight. It has such a weird feeling to me. I cant really explain it but after all the build up it felt like watching some kind of final boss battle in a video game. I genuinely think Conor could have easily gone the 12 rounds if he was smarter tactically and didnt put so much pressure on him early. He really should have listened to his corners advice in the 9th. I know that the SBG guys are a tight group and loyalty is very important, but you have to wonder if a proper, experienced boxing coach could have gotten him in a better shape tactically to at least last the 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dont know if this was posted yet.

VUE Cinema in Bury, England showed the fight last night. Fight broke out after.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/watch-violence-erupts-vue-cinema-mcgregor-fight-251678

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Ah here... sure he's spent weeks and weeks there training before both this and a few MMA fights!

You can't train it away. It's not the same as acclimatizing to the heat for example and so wouldn't matter how long he had trained there.

I'm not saying he has an issue with altitude, I'm just saying I'm aware that some athletes have, even at mid range, and just wondering aloud if he does is all.

You can't train it away. It's not the same as acclimatizing to the heat for example and so wouldn't matter how long he had trained there.

I'm not saying he has an issue with altitude, I'm just saying I'm aware that some athletes have, even at mid range, and just wondering aloud if he does is all.

Will take your word (as I have no clue otherwise!). To your point though, I get nosebleeds everytime I go above 2,000m skiing, it happens randomly both first and last day... I once spent a month up in North Dakota (in the darkest coldest winter) and I was SLAYed by the cold (physically and mentally) and recall the locals saying that it took being born there / at least 20 years of adaptation for blood to be properly adapted.

Still though - I thought part of the point of Paulie and Joe Cortez was to help trigger that stuff in prep :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

darced wrote:

In fairness, the UFC guys will do well to stay conscious for his cardio to become an issue in MMA. Nate Diaz is a freak of nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There's too many chumps in the UFC. Too many guys around too long with not enough motivation.

Alvarez for example was never going to beat McGregor.

Cali_girl wrote: »
    Still though - I thought part of the point of Paulie and Joe Cortez was to help trigger that stuff in prep :P

Paulie had enough to cope with now. Forced to spar 24 hours off a flight and made sleep in a crack house.

Sure no wonder he couldn't stay on his feet :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We have to be careful not to over-blow the cardio issue because this was his first boxing fight. Should he really have been able to last 12 rounds with 5-6 months training? Boxing is like any other sport you have to get your body conditioned to that exact sport, maybe it was just too short a time to get enough conditioning. He gassed in 7 minutes against Nate then he gassed after about 12 minutes the second time. He was about 18 minutes in before he went of the cliff this time, he could still be heading in the right direction.

One thing for sure now is that every fighter in the UFC will have marked his card for this weakness.

He was shattered on the stool after 2 rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pussyhands wrote: »
    There's too many chumps in the UFC. Too many guys around too long with not enough motivation.

Alvarez for example was never going to beat McGregor.

Yeah Bellator and UFC lightweight champion. What a chump.

Pettit and Dos Anjos must be some right chumps then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

You absolutely do aclimitise to altitude when you train there, this is exactly why elite athletes do train at altitude so they they adapt to a low oxygen environment through changes in blood chemistry. A stint at altitude increases Haemoglobin production which helps the heart transport more oxygen for a given cardiac output, altitude is a stress which creates adaption just like training. Some people will get bigger bang for their buck than others but this is not the point, you absolutely do aclimitise to altitude in both short term and long term. Look at the East Africans who live their whole life at altitude, along with culture, altitude is a huge part of their sucess in distance running because their bodies essentially are more oxygen efficient per heartbeat. This is aerobic capcity in full motion.

Now, no one who was not born at altitude will be acclimated as those who lived and were born at altitude but they will acclimatise to a certain extent as altitude increases. It's the very reasons that anyone who goes to climb Everest moves out there weeks and even months in advance and slowly move up base camps before even climbing Everest.

That is adaption to altitude even though it is a moot point in this debate as at 2000ft, effective oxygen levels are only marginally lower than sea level, very slight dehydration would probably affect performance more. Actual physiological changes and aclimatisation are not needed until you start getting into the realm of 5000ft.

I said it in boxing thread but his endurance training is off. HI IT training is a leftover fad from the 90's to get overweight people from chronically unfit to a decent baseline. No true elite athlete should be using as their go to training if they want to be truly fit. good cardio is a lot like a tube of toothpaste, you squeeze it from the bottom up to make use of it all and that means aerobic training is where the money is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I mentioned this on the boxing forum but BBC 5 Live gave their assessment on the fight and were pleasantly surprised by McGregor's performance. You can listen here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05dgdkn

TBH conditioning for boxing is completely different than every other sport. He was never going to condition himself within that time frame for the output in boxing, hence why he admitted he faded in the sparring rounds as well.

Which really explains why he came out all guns blazing, he didn't want to see past round 4.

.ak wrote: »
    TBH conditioning for boxing is completely different than every other sport. He was never going to condition himself within that time frame for the output in boxing, hence why he admitted he faded in the sparring rounds as well.

Which really explains why he came out all guns blazing, he didn't want to see past round 4.

True but I still think think his training is off. I still think the absence of roadwork is notable as his legs aren't going to be conditioned as they could be. Maybe the ACL is the reason behind that but plenty of people come back from that to run again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

El Caballo wrote: »
    I said it in boxing thread but his endurance training is off. HI IT training is a leftover fad from the 90's to get overweight people from chronically unfit to a decent baseline. No true elite athlete should be using as their go to training if they want to be truly fit. good cardio is a lot like a tube of toothpaste, you squeeze it from the bottom up to make use of it all and that means aerobic training is where the money is at.

It's not one or the other though. HIIT won't make a difference if the work hasn't been done but that doesnt mean it's without merit in and of itself. Anyway, we don't really know what training he does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement