Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

McGregor isn't really a big power puncher even in the UFC though. He's more of a pinpoint counter striker. Bigger gloves didn't really help him and Floyd never gave him the chance to land anything big and clean. I was impressed with some of Conor's slips in the early rounds.

Head movement was decent early on and so was his defence. But Floyd hardly threw a punch. Figured him out fairly easily and that was it really. Could've finished him off earlier. A more aggressive fighter would've done so easily. So all went as expected in that regard.

McGregor gassing after 4 rounds was fairly surprising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

McGregor fans are a marketing and money makers wet dream. I'd say they're laughing how easily they're getting people to part with their money.

McGregor just copied Mayweathers "I'm all about money" persona and then threw in some WWE and people lap it up.

The yanks are typically away with the fairies as usual. Was reading online, so many of them talking about this rags to riches thing, how he was almost homeless etc.

And MMA fanboys talking **** about boxing. At least boxing doesn't allow lads to be punching the **** out of lads who are knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pussyhands wrote: »
    McGregor fans are a marketing and money makers wet dream. I'd say they're laughing how easily they're getting people to part with their money.

McGregor just copied Mayweathers "I'm all about money" persona and then threw in some WWE and people lap it up.

The yanks are typically away with the fairies as usual. Was reading online, so many of them talking about this rags to riches thing, how he was almost homeless etc.

And MMA fanboys talking **** about boxing. At least boxing doesn't allow lads to be punching the **** out of lads who are knocked out.
    No need to insult mcgregor fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No need to insult mcgregor fans

Ahem....

Tyson-jabuppercut.gif

Happens all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Pussyhands wrote:

Boxing actually does allow concussed fighters to receive more punishment once you can get up in 8 seconds.

I'm mma once you out the fights over.

The Nal wrote: »
    Ahem....

Tyson-jabuppercut.gif

Happens all the time.

...is that why you got a gif from a boxing match from 20 years ago?

Boxing actually does allow concussed fighters to receive more punishment once you can get up in 8 seconds.

I'm mma once you out the fights over.

There's a difference to being knocked down and being knocked out.

Conors legs went on Saturday, he could easily have gone down, but he said afterwards it was fatigue.

It doesn't happen often where a boxer gets knocked clean out and gets back up to fight on.

In the UFC it happens several times a night where someone gets knocked out and there's still some lad on top of him hammering his face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I see Khabib is campaigning for McGregor fight in December. Could actually see it happening if there's a decent response to it from fans. Still think it's too early for Nate 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

The boxing community would have you believe Conor was technically dismantled. That Floyd put in some genius 4d chess performance. Laughable.
    Floyd was getting hit and couldn't get near Conor before he gassed. Floyd was getting outboxed, had no answer to Conor's jabs and couldn't launch anything resembling an attack of his own, never seen Floyd miss so much. It doesn't look at this stage that Conor can do much about his cardio limitations but it is an irrefutable fact that the last time he lost due to technical deficiencies alone was Joe Duffy.

Anyone notice how much emphasis Conor has been putting on his 2 ufc belts. I know he always believes he is still the 145 champ, but saying "I've got 2 belts to defend" a few times when asked about his future.

...is that why you got a gif from a boxing match from 20 years ago?

First one that came to mind. It happens in boxing, it happens in MMA. Its a fight. Boxing is worse for brain damage though if you want to have that conversation.

I'm a big fan of both sports, both vicious, both great. The worst thing about this fight was the boxing vs MMA fans shít talking.
    Anyone notice how much emphasis Conor has been putting on his 2 ufc belts. I know he always believes he is still the 145 champ, but saying "I've got 2 belts to defend" a few times when asked about his future.

Fortunately the UFC don't let fighters hang on to belts for 20 months without defending them.

Not surprising. He'll be talking about how he wasn't knocked out by Mayweather and that the ref stopped it early in time to come.

Can't see him lasting too much longer in the UFC. Why go back to the relative pennies in the UFC?

The Nal wrote:
    Fortunately the UFC don't let fighters hang on to belts for 20 months without defending them.

Pussyhands wrote:
    Can't see him lasting too much longer in the UFC. Why go back to the relative pennies in the UFC?

He won't be on pennies when he goes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

As mush as I'd love to see a rematch with Holloway, I really really dont wanna see Conor drain himself to 145 ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

MMA: Fighter loses control of his faculties and his unable to defend himself then the fight is stopped immediately. Despite what you think or say, the rules of MMA absolutely do not allow a "knocked out" fighter to sustain more damage than the ref can reasonably stop.

Boxing: Fighter loses control of his faculties and ability to defend himself, then the referee will give him a count of 8 and should he manage to regain his senses the same non medically qualified referee will make a 3-5 second assessment of the potentially brain injured fighter before allowing the fight go on and the fighter sustain further brain injury. And this could happen multiple times over the course of a contest.

Just because a fighter rises before a count of 8 doesn't mean he hasn't suffered a serious head injury.

I would guess that within the next 20 years there will be enough solid/reliable data available to compare the potential long term effects of head strikes in both sports.

xtal191 wrote: »
    As mush as I'd love to see a rematch with Holloway, I really really dont wanna see Conor drain himself to 145 ever again.

Totally agree. How bout a super fight at 155 for the LW title though?? That would work for everyone!!

Disclaimer: Everyone except the top 5 in the LW division obviously!!

Max has done enough at FW imo to go straight into a title shot at 155 and it's one the fights that fans most want to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

A good post from r/zoraxdoom on the Mayweather could have beaten Conor at any moment:

This whole 'Conor only won the first 3 rounds because Mayweather let him' thing is such a nonsense argument.

If Mayweather could have starched Conor in the first 3 rounds with no risk, he would have. If any of us get in the ring there with Mayweather we're done in the first minute of Round 1. No question.

He couldn't do that to Conor because Conor showed enough nous, enough skill, and enough awkwardness to force Mayweather to sit back, watch, and figure out a path. Conor posed enough of a threat to earn those 3 rounds from Mayweather.

Likewise, if Mayweather could walk back out there in Round 4 and KO Conor, he would have. Why would he not? Why hold back? He himself said he expected it to be done in Round 6/7, but it took longer than he expected because Conor was a lot better than he expected.

Conor didn't win rounds due to pity from Floyd. Conor didn't make it to Round 10 because Floyd, for the first time in his life, in his final match, after the tickets had been sold and the PPVs bought, decided now is the time for him to put on a show for the fans. Now he will carry his opponent for 6 rounds more than he needed to, just to give the fans something to watch. That's ridiculous. He's KOed former world champions in 5 rounds, and he's gone 12 rounds of boring fighting in the biggest fight of his career at the time. He does what he needs to do to win the boxing match.

The match went to round 10 because Conor was good enough to warrant a 40 year old Floyd needing 10 rounds to stop him. Conor won all the rounds he won (3, 4,5 however you look at it) because he earned the respect of Floyd to the point where Floyd let him have those rounds.
    I don't get why people are trying so hard to discredit what he did. He did very well, it was a good fight, and Mayweather won.

Why do people have such a chip on their shoulder about this? Why the negativity? Why the desire to discredit what just happened? I don't get it".

John_D80 wrote: »
    MMA: Fighter loses control of his faculties and his unable to defend himself then the fight is stopped immediately. Despite what you think or say, the rules of MMA absolutely do not allow a "knocked out" fighter to sustain more damage than the ref can reasonably stop.

Boxing: Fighter loses control of his faculties and ability to defend himself, then the referee will give him a count of 8 and should he manage to regain his senses the same non medically qualified referee will make a 3-5 second assessment of the potentially brain injured fighter before allowing the fight go on and the fighter sustain further brain injury. And this could happen multiple times over the course of a contest.

Just because a fighter rises before a count of 8 doesn't mean he hasn't suffered a serious head injury.

I would guess that within the next 20 years there will be enough solid/reliable data available to compare the potential long term effects of head strikes in both sports.

In boxing, if a man gets knocked out and is going down, you can't hit him.

In MMA this is not the case. Look at Aldo when he got knocked out, staring into the sky and Conor was still on top pummeling him.

• Advertisement

In MMA this is not the case. Look at Aldo when he got knocked out, staring into the sky and Conor was still on top pummeling him.

Yeah, its a tougher sport in that regard. So what?

Theres loads of examples of MMA fighters hitting the deck, looking KO'd or 100% beat and recovering.

Part of what makes it great.

Naos wrote: »
    A good post from r/zoraxdoom on the Mayweather could have beaten Conor at any moment:

The reason Floyd didn't throw in the first 3 rounds was due to risk. The risk of McGregor having "bombs" that he had in the UFC.

When Floyd saw Conor didn't have any power to trouble him, he went to town on him.

Floyd could have ended the fight early, but he would have increased the risk of Conor having one power punch doing serious damage.

You didn't see Floyd go to town on Manny 2 years ago. That's because he knew Manny had power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I don't think you know what really happened.

And 2 quick chops is hardly pummeling.

For someone that doesn't like MMA, in your short time registered, you seem to have an awful lot of posts on it.

If Mayweather was fighting a 5 year old girl he would still be cautious in the earlier rounds just in case and happily give her the first 2 rounds.

I don't think you know what really happened.

And 2 quick chops is hardly pummeling.

For someone that doesn't like MMA, in your short time registered, you seem to have an awful lot of posts on it.

I initially thought I was commenting on the boxing thread, not in the MMA forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Nal wrote: »
    If Mayweather was fighting a 5 year old girl he would still be cautious in the earlier round just in case and happily give her the first 2 rounds.

If Mayweather was fighting a 5 year old girl, boxing is in a much worse state that I ever thought possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I initially thought I was commenting on the boxing thread, not in the MMA forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057692388

There ya go - happy to be of service ;)

So you have never seen an already KO'd boxer take big shots on his way to the canvas. It happens and you know it does.

I clearly said that within the rules a fighter will take no more strikes than a ref can reasonably stop. McCarthy got there as fast as he could to protect Aldo. Had that been a boxing match and Aldo (or any fighter) had risen before 8 he would have been allowed to be struck in the head again and again after already suffering a concussion.

Boxing is littered with tragic and fatal examples of fighters being allowed to fight on when they should not be just because they answered the count in a stupefied and addled state. At least in MMA when a fighter is out he is out of the fight. In boxing he is only considered out when it takes him more than 8 seconds to find his feet.

Makes sense. The kinda BS that you're posting here would most certainly get a better reception there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

There's a simple reason why knockdowns don't stop the fight in MMA - fighters can be dangerous from the ground using their other skills which aren't related to striking. If the fighter is clearly knocked out rather than on his ass - the ref should (and most of the time does) intervene, with limited additional damage taken.

However, as a general rule fighters themselves don't want to beat up someone who is already unconscious - it is simply that they are taught to fight until they are told they don't need to anymore.

Anyone who judges MMA on this basis is looking at it through a boxing lens only. Fair enough that's how boxing works, but MMA as a more complex sport (in terms of number of disciplines) requires a different level of officiating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement