Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

When Conor and floyd first started their tiff over social media I didnt pay much heed. Even when rumors started about them having a fight it still didnt catch my attention and I did not want to see it happen. That all changed when the fight was confirmed. It didnt take long for me to get sucked into the hype train. I loved every bit of it. The world tour and interviews. If anything they could have upped the ante a little and had a shoving match just to get the blood racing. Both of them played a blinder during the world tour etc etc. Professionals down to the end.

Regarding the fight itself it was very entertaining. Conor should be very proud of his display against who is considered the worlds best boxer of all time. Im not going to getting bogged down with fight stats and what if's. I dont see the need.

Now that its done I can safely say I want to see Conor back in the Octagon. Hopefully in December. Im not fussy of who he fights as long as he fights. With Jon jones most likely gone again there are not too many fights that interest me. When a fight is announced with Conor I and im sure most of his supporters kick into gear and prepare for a few months of excitement. First thing I do is check my work roster and If im due to work I take a day off.

So fair play to Conor and keep this buzz alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

The Nal wrote: »
    If Mayweather was fighting a 5 year old girl he would still be cautious in the earlier rounds just in case and happily give her the first 2 rounds.

That must be one tough little girl you have lined up for him in this hypothetical matchup, because he didn't happily give berto, pacquiao or canelo the first round of their fights, we won the first round of all these fights on the scorecards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think anyone could have watched this fight and not concluded that the naysayers have been firmly and decisively silenced. To last ten rounds against Floyd Mayweather is nothing short of incredible, and I'd agree with Conor's own assessment that it was a cardio deficiency rather than a strength or technique deficiency which screwed him - he simply didn't have the stamina to last any longer, and that's fairly understandable when you consider the difference in length of an MMA fight, plus the fact that Conor's fights rarely go the full distance. The only naysayers I've seen sticking to their guns are those who allege a sort of "soft-fixing" - that Mayweather could have finished him much faster except that he deliberately held back and allowed the fight to go on longer than he could have, purely for the purpose of not disappointing spectators. And to be fair, I and others in this very thread predicted long before the fight that some people would be willing to cling to any and all possibilities to deny Conor having a good night even if he had one, such was their fundamental desire for this not to be a good fight and for Conor to be humiliated.

Fantastic night, congrats to everyone involved, and now let's get back to some fully fledged MMA action, where, as Dana put it, "he can use all of his weapons". ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's how I see the next 12 months for McG:

Nate Trilogy fight by the end of the year.

Ferguson around Paddy's Day.

MayMac II next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

McGregor - Diaz 3 will happen at UFC 219 on the 30th of December in Las Vegas.

You can take that to the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Here's how I see the next 12 months for McG:

Nate Trilogy fight by the end of the year.

Ferguson around Paddy's Day.

MayMac II next summer.

I can't see McGregor and Mayweather fighting again. Saying that I couldn't see them fighting in the first place so what the fúck do I know. I really hope they don't. I'd rather see Conor fight in the octagon than a boxing ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Literally isn't a 1% hope of a Mayweather rematch.

Regarding Diaz III, that means McGregor has to drop the lightweight belt which would be exceptionally poor on his part. Getting stripped of two titles to not defending them. Theres 4-5 top contenders in the division who deserve a shot.

Literally isn't a 1% hope of a Mayweather rematch.

Regarding Diaz III, that means McGregor has to drop the lightweight belt which would be exceptionally poor on his part. Getting stripped of two titles to not defending them. Theres 4-5 top contenders in the division who deserve a shot.

Why would need to drop the lightweight belt if he fights a lightweight at lightweight?

Nate is a 155lb fighter, the fight will be Conor's first title defence.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm pretty sure that McGregor or his team has said that the trilogy would be back at 155 if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

McGregor should give Aldo a rematch.

Now wait and hear me out!!!!!!!

A rematch at a weight to suit Conor, but Aldo only gets the rematch if he forgoes any payment for the fight, the premise being that if he was so butthurt with the loss, he should grab the fight with both hands and money shouldn't come into it. If he insists on getting paid for it, then tell him to jog on as clearly he is only out for a red panty night ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why would need to drop the lightweight belt if he fights a lightweight at lightweight?

Is Diaz in line to go for a title fight tho? Surely he would be leap frogging a few people?

Aha yes makes sense I suppose. Not that Diaz deserves it mind you.

Although Conor didn't deserve the title shot vs Alvarez either so why not.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    Is Diaz in line to go for a title fight tho? Surely he would be leap frogging a few people?

My initial thought too but then I remembered that Dana doesn't really care about rankings.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

everlast75 wrote: »
    McGregor should give Aldo a rematch.

Now wait and hear me out!!!!!!!

A rematch at a weight to suit Conor, but Aldo only gets the rematch if he forgoes any payment for the fight, the premise being that if he was so butthurt with the loss, he should grab the fight with both hands and money shouldn't come into it. If he insists on getting paid for it, then tell him to jog on as clearly he is only out for a red panty night ;)

Don't be daft. I don't think it's fair to expect any fighter at this level to fight for free. He has to pay for his camp and everything that goes with it. Not to mention pay rent and feed his family. He's stepping into a fight that could potentially cause him to get injured or worse down the line. Butthurt or not he deserves to be paid for the fight. The UFC and Conor would be getting paid for it and so should Aldo. Conor really wanted to take back his loss to Nate after 196, should he not have gotten paid for doing that?

mloc123 wrote: »

He's ranked 6th.

Ahead of him Ferguson, Alvarez and Gaethje are all booked, neither Conor or Dana want to book the Khabib fight because they don't trust him to make weight so that's him ruled out and Barboza isn't a name casuals care about.

The UFC need a big PPV selling event to close out the year, Nate is the only name that makes sense.

Would be a shame if Conor didn't defend the title against the Ferguson/Lee winner. If Ferguson wins thats 10 wins in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

The Nal wrote:
    Although Conor didn't deserve the title shot vs Alvarez either so why not.

He knocked Alvarez out in two dominant rounds, how did he not deserve the shot?

Would be a shame if Conor didn't defend the title against the Ferguson/Lee winner. If Ferguson wins thats 10 wins in a row.

They're fighting in October, there odds are it will be a war and whoever wins both will have medical suspensions. There's a high possibility of both of them being injured or unable to fight again before the new year.

The winner of that will get the next crack at the title after the fight in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Don't be daft. I don't think it's fair to expect any fighter at this level to fight for free. He has to pay for his camp and everything that goes with it. Not to mention pay rent and feed his family. He's stepping into a fight that could potentially cause him to get injured or worse down the line. Butthurt or not he deserves to be paid for the fight. The UFC and Conor would be getting paid for it and so should Aldo. Conor really wanted to take back his loss to Nate after 196, should he not have gotten paid for doing that?

I was half joking, hence the winky face at the end, so take it easy.

TBH in my opinion, he doesn't deserve a rematch so if he wants it that badly then let him take a financial hit, be it a deduction to his purse but cover his expenses. If he wins like he is so sure he will, there is the belt and the increase that comes with it, so he will make money off his next fight.

The little a hole was mouthing off after all of Conor's subsequent UFC fights. He even tweeted laughing faces when Conor lost to Mayweather. It would be nice for him to get flattened again and see what excuses he has this time.

And the difference in relation to loss to Nate, the UFC knows that Conor controls what money they make, so it isn't comparing like with like.

VW 1 wrote: »
    He knocked Alvarez out in two dominant rounds, how did he not deserve the shot?

Because he hadn't fought at LW before. Ferguson and Khabib were both more deserving of a shot as was dos Anjos for a rematch.

The fact that McGregor wiped the floor with Alvarez isn't relevant.

It must be really annoying for other fighters when they put together a winning streak over a couple of years, get to the #1 contender spots and then the most popular guy comes in from a different division (just because hes the most popular) and gets the title shot and then goes missing for over a year with the belt.
    The winner of that will get the next crack at the title after the fight in December.

Can you imagine if it turned out to be Diaz vs Lee then in the spring! :D

Dana would be raging.

Because he hadn't fought at LW before. Ferguson and Khabib were both more deserving of a shot as was dos Anjos for a rematch.

It must be really annoying for other fighters when they put together a winning streak over a couple of years, get to the #1 contender spots and then the most popular guy comes in from a different division (just because hes the most popular) and gets the title shot and then goes missing for over a year with the belt.

The UFC don't care about who deserves things though, that's the biggest problem with them being a both promoter and sanctioning body, they can just make it up as they go along.

GSP getting a shot at Bisping, Hendo getting a shot at Bisping, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd live to see McG and Aldo, I think as fans we were robbed of a spectacle last time out, fantastic result mind and I'd take it 1000 times out of 1000 but we deserved more. I don't see Conor fighting at 145 though but Aldo has said he would fight at 155

Aldo needs to get a few wins to get himself back into title contention at 145 before he goes looking for fights at 155 or chasing a payday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Most popular, or champion.

Did you feel the same outrage when Edgar moved down to 145 and jumped the queue to fight Aldo even though he wasn't the 155 champion anymore.

They all know the game at this stage. If you can make people want to watch you, you have an exciting style and put on spectacular fights, you will get preferential treatment. And rightly so, it's a money making business.

If you have a boring wrestling lay and pray style and no one wants to watch you, you will have to grind more fights to get that shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Can't see him lasting too much longer in the UFC. Why go back to the relative pennies in the UFC?

Those pennies he made in the UFC last year, where more than any boxer made. Just to put the whole "the money is in boxing" thing into perspective. The money is in PPVs, thats all.

Mellor wrote: »
    Those pennies he made in the UFC last year, where more than any boxer made. Just to put the whole "the money is in boxing" thing into perspective. The money is in PPVs, thats all.

Joshua made nearly as much in 1 fight as Conor did in 3 though and he sold far less PPV's to do it.

The money is in PPV's if you're getting a fair share, as long as the UFC are taking the lions share of everything, he's still getting relative peanuts.

If he did 1 boxing match next year under his own banner and sold 1million PPVs he'd make more than he could in 4 UFC fights.
    That's the sad reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

McGregor - Diaz 3 will happen at UFC 219 on the 30th of December in Las Vegas.

You can take that to the bank.

You seem sure on that ? Its a tempting trip

You seem sure on that ? Its a tempting trip

I'm minding my dog :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

They're def aiming for McGregor/Diaz 3 for 219 according to Luke Thomas and a some other journos

Aldo needs to get a few wins to get himself back into title contention at 145 before he goes looking for fights at 155 or chasing a payday.

Do you not think he deserved a rematch at 145? Given Conor is unlikely to fight there again I'd be ok with him being given a pass to fight Conor at 155.

Now, I think Conor will have to fight the winner of the interim belt first and then Aldo after that (win, loose or draw the unification fight)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement