Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Do you not think he deserved a rematch at 145? Given Conor is unlikely to fight there again I'd be ok with him being given a pass to fight Conor at 155.

Now, I think Conor will have to fight the winner of the interim belt first and then Aldo after that (win, loose or draw the unification fight)

Post fight, Conor has been talking about going back to the UFC to defend his 2 titles, so I think he's not ruling out 145.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

The Nal wrote:
    It must be really annoying for other fighters when they put together a winning streak over a couple of years, get to the #1 contender spots and then the most popular guy comes in from a different division (just because hes the most popular)

I can see your logic and why it would be annoying for the fighters, but at the same time the person they parachuted in for the shot was the champion of the division below, and subsequently won the belt. Not as if he was brought in JUST due to popularity or ppvs. I'd have an issue if that was the case.
    The UFC don't care about who deserves things though, that's the biggest problem with them being a both promoter and sanctioning body, they can just make it up as they go along.

Are the two bodies (promoting and sanctioning) not separate entities in boxing, and it's rare that two of the top in the world fight each other in both their primes.

UFC system may be flawed, but it's not a bad as it could be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mdwexford wrote: »
    Most popular, or champion.

Did you feel the same outrage when Edgar moved down to 145 and jumped the queue to fight Aldo even though he wasn't the 155 champion anymore.

He had already fought Aldo at FW and beat Mendes before Aldo II.

But yeah, UFC will usually always promote the biggest fight in that regard. I just think they do it too often while overlooking the pure sporting side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Post fight, Conor has been talking about going back to the UFC to defend his 2 titles, so I think he's not ruling out 145.

Conor only has one title though, he would be challenging for the FW strap against Holloway if anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Nal wrote: »

But yeah, UFC will usually always promote the biggest fight in that regard. I just think they do it too often while overlooking the pure sporting side of it.

I agree. I think that this is a main gripe people have with boxing (that and the sheer number of belts) and if the UFC doesn't sort this out, people will get pissed off in larger numbers over time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

You seem sure on that ? Its a tempting trip

I ain't sayin nuthin. Ah no, it's nailed on, through the grapevine and all that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Conor only has one title though, he would be challenging for the FW strap against Holloway if anything

That didn't stop him bringing 2 belts to the ring the other night :D

The UFC stripped him, but in his mind, nobody has beaten him at that weight class. If he were to fight at that weight again it would have to be for the title though rather than against Aldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I'm talking about his first shot vs Aldo.

It was his featherweight debut.

They do it sometimes but they aren't a sporting body as such. Their primary concern is their bottom line. The belts have become less important in recent times which is a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I can't see McGregor and Mayweather fighting again. Saying that I couldn't see them fighting in the first place so what the fúck do I know. I really hope they don't.

Well, I was kinda saying it tongue in cheek....... but in saying that, I wouldn't totally rule it out if McG was to go on and win his next two UFC fights on his feet (which is likely) as all it would take then is for him to say in an interview that feels he got the tactics wrong and that it would be a different result if they fought again... then the media would be all over Floyd to comment and no doubt he would just see an easy $$300million.
    I'd rather see Conor fight in the octagon than a boxing ring.

Oh I think everyone feels like that and like is say, a potential rematch would be dependent on McGregor winning his next two fights anyway as he'd have to keep himself right at the top to make the rematch feasible.
    Literally isn't a 1% hope of a Mayweather rematch.

Paddy's will give you 1/10 ;)

ppmcg.png
    Regarding Diaz III, that means McGregor has to drop the lightweight belt which would be exceptionally poor on his part. Getting stripped of two titles to not defending them. Theres 4-5 top contenders in the division who deserve a shot.

Diaz III would be for the Lightweight belt.

He was asked about fighting Nate as he left the T-Mobile the other night actually..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I don't think there's any way Conor makes 145 again.

It's been close to two years since he last did. He's put on plenty of muscle since then and has had a lot of time being much heavier.

He looked a lot worse at the Mayweather weigh ins than vs Eddie which makes me think 155 is even getting harder on him.

He would have to lose muscle mass and kill himself to try and make featherweight again. Plenty of other fights out there for him. His FW career is done imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Paddy's will give you 1/10 ;)

How does that bet work. Do you have to wait for McGregor to die before collecting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

How does that bet work. Do you have to wait for McGregor to die before collecting it?

Or Floyd

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Ah sure they were holding up two UFC belts in the ring prior to the fight. I wouldn't be minding anything he said in the ring after.

How he looked at 155 against Alvarez was the best I'd seem him look. I don't think 170 suited him when he fought Nate. He made Alvarez look like a complete chump and he's not that much of a chump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

What does McGregor Promotions mean in terms of his return to the UFC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,899 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought 170 didn't suit him because of the gassing in both fights but now that it's happened at 155, I think it's his biggest problem at the moment and Diaz will be the hardest fight because of it. If he can get it sorted (if that's even something he can sort) I wouldn't mind seeing him at 170 again. Would much prefer if he stayed at 155 though.

Now, he should take a few mil and get the top doctors in the world to assess him physically and mentally to see what might help. I don't think FAST is gonna do the job.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I thought 170 didn't suit him because of the gassing in both fights but now that it's happened at 155, I think it's his biggest problem at the moment and Diaz will be the hardest fight because of it. If he can get it sorted (if that's even something he can sort) I wouldn't mind seeing him at 170 again. Would much prefer if he stayed at 155 though.

Now, he should take a few mil and get the top doctors in the world to assess him physically and mentally to see what might help. I don't think FAST is gonna do the job.

I thought Diaz 1, he looked sluggish all round.

Yeah, I'd imagine seeing Diaz walk through his punches again would just sap his will. He's not knocking Nate out, and that could be the beginning of the end.

I wonder how many cancellations of the FAST program has there been since?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Will be the exact same game plan for Diaz 3, just leg kick all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Will be the exact same game plan for Diaz 3, just leg kick all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Nate's gameplan never changes. Conor would perform similar to or better than the second fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

He wasn't 155 there, he was emaciated at the weigh in and then fresh and bulky in the fight which means he cut a lot of weight to make 154. He was 165 at least, probably more. I thought he learned his lesson about being too heavy for Diaz. I think if he had fought at 155 he would have lasted the 12 rounds and become a folk hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

He gassed in a boxing fight, it's a completely different conditioning required than any other sport. It takes years to train for that. He's a fit ****er, that wasn't the issue, he just wants going to train for that sort of output on his feet within a few months, no matter how many miles he did.

I really wouldn't worry about it. The 4th round against Diaz he was bit tired, but that was with a bigger man trying to wrestle him up against a solid cage. He then went on to finish strong. I don't think he has a cardio issue, put anyone who hasn't boxed all their life into a ring with a pro and they'll box themselves out too.

As much as the kicks helped last time, he has said a few times now '**** leg kicks' referring to Diaz 2, dunno if he'd put his legs through that again especially if Nate planned for it and upped his checking game.

Yeah, I'd like to think that with the weight cut and previous damage, Nate's chin would be more susceptible to a KO but no way would I build a gamelan around it.

Gimme Khabib any day, Conor would just have to stuff a few takedowns and he'd have the KO in the 1st.

I'd love if that's the case AK, get back in the Octagon, get a load of rounds in and get back to 5x5's.

Also, it's lovely to be talking about MMA in here again.

As much as the kicks helped last time, he has said a few times now '**** leg kicks' referring to Diaz 2, dunno if he'd put his legs through that again especially if Nate planned for it and upped his checking game.

Yeah, I'd like to think that with the weight cut and previous damage, Nate's chin would be more susceptible to a KO but no way would I build a gamelan around it.

Gimme Khabib any day, Conor would just have to stuff a few takedowns and he'd have the KO in the 1st.

Khabib won't make 155 though. He ended up on the ER last time he tried to cut. It's a fight I'd like to see though

I'd love if that's the case AK, get back in the Octagon, get a load of rounds in and get back to 5x5's.

This is an MMA forum!?

Fook that. I'm out.

:D

I was just thinking it was nice to be able to chat again. No more attacking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Accurate or not, it's an odd dichotomy to know McGregor has gone 10 rounds with an elite boxer yet perhaps seemingly laid bare his greatest weakness in doing so. Upcoming opponents will now seek to survive as best as they can so as to maximise their return in later rounds. Of course this was a known entity somewhat, evident in both Diaz fights already. However, one senses that, ironically, confidence going in against McGregor now will be higher than it might have been pre-Floyd. Coaches and fighters alike will now be saying to themselves this guy fades, and fast...

What remains to be seen is just how well McGregor's improved boxing acumen will translate into MMA. And of course, you don't need the greatest engine in the world if you can put people away early.

Diaz 3 is a scary prospect for him, even at 155. Amongst the greatest engines in the UFC with the ability to take shots. Jaysus...

I know little about the science of cardio but it'd be interesting to know if he can improve from here or is he just naturally an explosive/ front-runner/ fast-twitch type athlete. I'd also really hope he can put the partying to bed - you don't need to be an expert to know that's never going to help.

Anyways, what a ride that all was. Consumed so much content pre-fight my head is still nigh-on exploding. Don't think any less of him for it, nor would anyone with an even the slightest appreciation for a true competitor seeking to surmount the impossible. Equal parts nervous and excited for what comes next...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,457 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Diaz just doesn't strike me as the type to ever be able to check leg kicks, they'll always work against him. He's so heavy on the lead leg that all McGregor has to do after a check is land an average enough jab to knock him way off balance and then swarm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Would love to see McGregor vs Khabib but McGregor (rightly) won't fight him until Khabib clocks up a few in a row. He missed weight for a fight and pulled out of three fights with injury and pulled out of the last one cutting weight. So thats 4 missed fights he had scheduled and a missed weight.

I think Khabib wins that fight if/when it happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement