Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Khabib won't make 155 though. He ended up on the ER last time he tried to cut. It's a fight I'd like to see though

He'll make 55 again no bother, whatever happened last time doesn't mean he can't make 55, it just means he has to do it properly. The UFC have said next time he'll be doing his cut in the PI under the supervision of their doctors, he'll make it easily IMHO.

They'll do Khabib vs Barboza or someone else in the next few months and then they'll give him next after the winner of Ferguson and Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Joe Cortez on MMA hour now saying that boxing and MMA crossovers could be a good thing for both sides.

And says he's open to MMA fighters contacting him regarding boxing fundamentals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

And he won't confirm if it was a punch or a push, that he doesn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

McG Vs Paulie with Mayweather promotions.

This is in the works, when McG is about 33 and Paulie is 42 and obese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Nobody wants to see Paulie fight anyone... even if it was McGregor. You think the Americans would pay 100 for that ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭RoryMac

walshb wrote: »
    4 and 5 worth revisiting..

I could be wrong but a score of 4-1 Conor after 5 may not be odd...

Just watched rd 4 and 5. Sky commentary on it's clear Floyd rds.

Commentary off and both rds competitive..

Floyd either 3-2 behind (giving him rds 4 and 5) or 4-1 behind giving him rd 4.

I re-watched just now with the commentary off and I'd give the first 3 rounds to McGregor. 4th was close too but Mayweather really stepped up the pace. I don't think McGregor took a forward step from the 4th till the end. While the boxing from either wasn't great the forward pressure from Mayweather was amazing.

5th & 6th to Mayweather but in the 6th McGregor landed some good body shots. 7th Mayweather piling on the pressure and McGregor really showing the strain. 8th was close again and could be given to either, think McGregor landed the better shots but there was no power in them. 9th & 10th dominant from Mayweather.

From the 4th McGregor couldn't catch a breath with Mayweather constantly in his face, neither really had the power to hurt the other but Mayweather fought smart. I'd take back my original view that Mayweather making McGregor miss was the reason he burnt out early, it was the constant pressure he couldn't deal with

Random Conor news item.

His company attempted to trademark the word Notorious for use in beer and spirits. Unfortunately in the two categories he applied it's already been awards to an Irish brewery over a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Random Conor news item.

His company attempted to trademark the word Notorious for use in beer and spirits. Unfortunately in the two categories he applied it's already been awards to an Irish brewery over a year ago.

O haras have a red IPA the call notorious red

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Yup. It's registered to Seamus O'Hara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Agree with Joe rogan about Conor fearing his own gas tank so much he wasn't putting enough into his punches, I felt it was very rare that he was attempting to put big power into his shots. Ye can say whatever about his power being overrated, but just from the way he was throwing a lot of them seemed extremely conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Yup. It's registered to Seamus O'Hara.
    I drank a pint of it in Westport I think last month . Didn't like it.

finbarrk wrote: »
    I drank a pint of it in Westport I think last month . Didn't like it.

The red ipa? not a fan myself. O'Hara's make meh beer, their extra stout is a cracker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Joshua made nearly as much in 1 fight as Conor did in 3 though and he sold far less PPV's to do it.

The money is in PPV's if you're getting a fair share, as long as the UFC are taking the lions share of everything, he's still getting relative peanuts.

If he did 1 boxing match next year under his own banner and sold 1million PPVs he'd make more than he could in 4 UFC fights.
    That's the sad reality.
    Joshua made more per fight, but it was about half as much as McGregir overall afaik.

Joshua was something like $12m base plus $6m more in PPV points.
    Canelo earned $26m in 2 fights (highest earning boxer)
    Conor was $36m in 3 fights.

So per fight he is slightly behind. But he has the means to fight more frequently than those guys.

I do agree that the he'd make make more on his own. And I'm not suggesting the distribution in revenue is fair. But I don't think boxing is the template to model themselves on. Headliners might get a relatively bigger slice of the pie. Undercard boxers get crumbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Can't sleep so I'm like a recovering addict popping in for a post :)

I put together a small video of some (not all) of the moments that impressed me from Conor. (the descriptions are because I refer to them again down below).

0:01 - He throws 2 off-speed punches to keep Floyd's guard up and lands a hard left to body.

0:10 - favourite sequence of the entire fight. Conor fakes the left, fades around Floyd with a lovely Lomachenko-esque step and lands both punches of the combination clean enough despite Floyd framing with his elbow.

0:20 - A couple of lovely body shots.

0:32 - Outside slip (barely!), digs the right underhook and lands a left on clinch break....no power but a lovely use of an MMA-style.

0:40 - One of the many shoulder rolls Conor did, perfectly timed to deflect Floyd's left straight off target and come back with his own body shot.

1:01 - Lands another off-speed left straight and crushes Floyd with an accurate body shot.

1:12 - As close as we came in the fight to the legendary Rocky double-knockout :) Floyd threw first (fractionally) and landed first but Conor landed heavier.

1:21 - Conor throws a left straight then a right straight to try open Floyd's guard. When both fail, he tries to (Lomachenko) strip Floyd's guard and land his left...he missed but I really appreciate that he tried it.

It's only a short bit of highlights but I found it impressive.

The fact he landed some of it cleanly against Floyd is amazing and the more I watch round 8 the more impressed I am, because Floyd was 100% going for it in round 8 and Conor held his own in that round.

The jab/body jab, shoulder rolls, switch-steps, stance-switches, guard-strips, tight footwork and body-work were honestly surprisingly good given we've very rarely seen him do any of the above in MMA.

I get the strong impression that Conor & the team were studying Lomachenko like their life depended on it because Loma is the best southpaw who does those wrestling slide-bys and guard-strips.

0:25 - Loma uses his right hand to strip down the guard and land a left cross.

14:58 - Loma does a variation of the wrestling slide-by, uses bicep control to take his opponents back and when he turns he fires the right hand.

There's 3 reasons why Conor wasn't as effective when he tried to do them.

1. Lomachenko is a genius.
    2. Conor isn't an elite pro boxer.
    3. Floyd is a genius.

The reason Lomachenko makes it work when he takes his opponents back is that he makes his opponents turn towards him where he can land punishing shots while they are defenseless.

Floyd was wise to this and every time Conor took his back, Floyd put his hands up high and waited for the ref to stop the action. If he had turned to face Conor he too would have been defenseless and eating a left hand.

Firas Zahabi did a solid breakdown explaining the many techniques Conor employed to dominate the clinch. It's here:

Some of the "MMA approach" really did work, especially in the clinch but Conor's problem IMO was he didn't clinch enough. Knowing when to clinch is as important a skill in boxing as what to do when he gets there. He circled far too much when he should have been holding to relieve pressure.

Anyway, there is some really exciting development in Conor's boxing judging by this fight and I hope to God we never get to see his talent in a boxing ring ever again! They will be great skills to bring back to the cage but give up the oul' boxing :)

One last thought - I wouldn't be so sure he fights December 30th. It's Conor Jr's first ever Christmas and that shouldn't be forgotten in all this. Who knows but I'm sceptical. Conor is a family-oriented guy and I'm not sure he wants to be dragging Dee & Jr. to spend Xmas Day in Vegas while he's eating lettuce. I could be wrong but I could have sworn I heard an old interview with him where he said he absolutely hated the Xmas-time weight cutting for the Buchinger fight.

I think there's an outside chance he tries to get on the MSG card in early November for a quick turnaround because he's in phenomenal shape and he can't sit still for 2 minutes after he loses. If not, maybe the big March 2018 card I reckon because that'll be 2 years to the day of the Diaz 1 loss and would bring the trilogy full circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Great analysis wonder.

It confirms what I thought. Many boxing fans here are in denial about what conor achieved against floyd.

They say he was an embarrassment and pathetic.

Pure bias and shows them for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Great analysis wonder.

It confirms what I thought. Many boxing fans here are in denial about what conor achieved against floyd.

They say he was an embarrassment and pathetic.

Pure bias and shows them for what they are.

Who said that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So all over linkedin today, Conor was homeless and Dee took him off the streets and moved him into a tiny apartment and fed him daily.

You'd think he was some waif orphan the way people are carrying on. Crumlin and Lucan aren't exactly downtrodden parts of society. In fact the unemployment rate in Lucan is below the national average. I hate having to use Linkedin for work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/paax8k/mayweather-beat-mcgregor-by-not-fighting-a-mayweather-fight?utm_vicesportstwitter

Just for the sake of balance Jack Slack's report.

'In the aftermath of the fight, the focus of McGregor's legion of fans has been on the 100-plus punches he landed on Mayweather. Expect this statistic to be revisited in every UFC promo package, Joe Rogan Experience, and McGregor fight commentary until he retires because this is more than genuine world class boxers like Canelo Alvarez and Manny Pacquiao were able to lay their gloves on Mayweather. But Mayweather went out of his way to measure exchanges with those men. He never stood close enough for Pacquiao to put two punches together. Against McGregor, however, Mayweather seemed to encourage the UFC lightweight champion to show what he had. Of the 100 or so apparently connected punches, out of 400 thrown, the vast majority seemed to accomplish nothing.'

'Mayweather's right hand lead, to the solar plexus and to the face, became the story of this fight and it was beautiful to watch. When McGregor threw his left it fell short, or connected on Mayweather's forearms, or Mayweather crunched to take it on his abdomen.'

'he began to tire in the fourth round. Interestingly, Mayweather rarely even attempted a proper tie up, never giving McGregor the opportunity to use the overhook.'

'He didn't look like a bum by any means, but equally he fell short in his sport specific conditioning and became the first man Mayweather had stopped (spare that controversial Ortiz finish) in a very long time.'

'While McGregor tired early and Mayweather was never out of control (aside from the round nine low blow, set up off that hanging on the neck), Conor McGregor looked far better than expected.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

So all over linkedin today, Conor was homeless and Dee took him off the streets and moved him into a tiny apartment and fed him daily.

You'd think he was some waif orphan the way people are carrying on. Crumlin and Lucan aren't exactly downtrodden parts of society. In fact the unemployment rate in Lucan is below the national average. I hate having to use Linkedin for work

Yeah but where else would you go to find the correct answer for 4(2) + 2*8/2 - 18/9/Sin2 = ???

Apparently only 1% of the population can solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's doing the rds that Conor was pulling his punches. I told you a fix was possible...

Should cheer up some of the Conor fans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

i saw the video claiming that on facebook
    all the shots pictured were tee up shots as is normal - or from the last round where he could barely stand

its laughable
    but when edited together make a story
    conor took it easy on mayweather then? ah come on what next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The little kind of nod/nodding from Conor just after an exchange adds fuel to the fire I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

i would expect non fight fans to swallow it
    surprised regulars would

• Advertisement

they got lads shoot according to that lol

you are right walsh b - conor took it easy on mayweather and let him win

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement