Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

walshb wrote: »
    The little kind of nod/nodding from Conor just after an exchange adds fuel to the fire I think.

Gas isn't it, the sh1te that comes out. I do find Conor's nod funny, you see him do it a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Medical suspension until the end of October.

So possible December (New Years) fight in the UFC next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Everything is a conspiracy to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I just can't see that materializing. The training and media obligations for the Floyd fight must have really taken it out of him, and he made so much money in the meantime, I can't see him sacrificing Christmas . I wouldn't be surprised if he took a full year off, he'll have earned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I just can't see that materializing. The training and media obligations for the Floyd fight must have really taken it out of him, and he made so much money in the meantime, I can't see him sacrificing Christmas . I wouldn't be surprised if he took a full year off, he'll have earned it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Afternoon gents, back from Abroad how did the fight go what round did Conor ko that bum in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gamebred wrote: »
    Afternoon gents, back from Abroad how did the fight go what round did Conor ko that bum in?

Had the ref not saved Floyd in rd 9 from that beautiful body shot the headline would read "Ex plumber dethrones ex wife beating ATG."

Sadly it wasn't to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Seen the fight. up to round 4 was pretty interesting id say the experts were in need of a change of jocks, my biggest take on the fight as I've always thought, Conor McGregor fast system is a scam he has cardio issues that need addressing granted Floyd worked his body but his cardio is dreadful after the opening exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So all over linkedin today, Conor was homeless and Dee took him off the streets and moved him into a tiny apartment and fed him daily.

You'd think he was some waif orphan the way people are carrying on. Crumlin and Lucan aren't exactly downtrodden parts of society. In fact the unemployment rate in Lucan is below the national average. I hate having to use Linkedin for work

It never mentions his dad offering him 10k to go to college.

Apparantly getting welfare means you're in poverty. But..it's not surprising as people are gullible idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't see him doing the New Year's fight either, especially with his new baby - he'll want to be able to relax and enjoy Christmas in Ireland with his friends and family. So an earlier December fight, or Spring 2018 fight seem the most likely options.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He was medically suspended until October 20th last year too with a no-contact date of October 5th. Meanwhile during his "medical suspension" Conor was posting training photos in September and he fought November 12th :pac:

The medical suspensions are not worth the paper they are written on because they're unenforceable and neither NY or Nevada are going to fine Conor with the money he brings in.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Seen the fight. up to round 4 was pretty interesting id say the experts were in need of a change of jocks, my biggest take on the fight as I've always thought, Conor McGregor fast system is a scam he has cardio issues that need addressing granted Floyd worked his body but his cardio is dreadful after the opening exchanges.

Welcome back just as I'm leaving (well trying to leave for a few weeks haha).

Just on this - I've said this before but I stand by it. Conor 100% has a touch of the Damien Duff about him. I loved watching Duff play in his prime but after 2 mins of the match he'd have his hands on his hips gasping for air like he smokes 40 a day, yet he would still be running his socks off for 90 mins.

I'll stick my neck on the line - I reckon Conor's endurance would be excellent if he was to cycle 100km or run a half-marathon but he'd still visually look like he's bolloxed after the first 200 meters.

Even for fighting he's actually got solid endurance - case in point round 4 against Nate and round 8 against Floyd as I keep harping back to, he was extremely good in round 8, threw 59 punches and landed his best body work of the night. He did enough to win rd 8 on the Showtime cards.

The problem we are seeing, in my view, isn't a strict cardio issue it's a drop-off issue...

Conor round 1 & 2 in MMA is arguably the most dangerous (active) early round fighter in the UFC alongside Oezdemir and Stipe. Conor's drop-off after 2 rounds is significant though, everything goes from A+ explosive to C- so fast, and even when he recovers he only gets back to C+.

TL;DR - He's as fit as a fiddle but it looks to me like he needs to accept the fact he's an explosive early fighter and try minimize the drop-off.

Trying to sell the McGregor Fast program right now is like Tiger Woods trying to sell a book on relationship-advice - tough sell but he'll find buyers because of his name ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd buy Tigers book on relationship advice. Who'd say to an orgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nate so gansta.

natedd22.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nate so gansta.

natedd22.jpg

The equivalent of a young boy trying to get a girl's attention by pulling her pigtails

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Two great shots. McGregor looks like he's doing a DeNiro impression in the second one though. "You never got me down, Ray"

Mc_G-_FM.jpg

High res versions (1,2).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Should he get a new conditioning coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Should he get a new conditioning coach?

Honestly I don't think he has an issue with conditioning... Yes, I know all evidence points to the opposite, but for Diaz 1 for me it was a combo of unloading power shots and missed kicks and then getting tagged with a solid 1+2, in Diaz 2 he was in an absolute war until the 4th round where he dipped for like 30 seconds, keep in mind Diaz at times was hitting the canvas just to get a breather.

In this fight he had to box, against a boxer... I don't care if you run 10 ultraman's a year, you can't prep yourself for that sort of conditioning in that short a time. Boxers train their entire lives to output that much in an elite fight. He threw a huge amount of punches, more than most have against Floyd. He was always going to burn out after the 4th.

He needs to improve two things; his energy management, and his power.

I suppose for this fight he didn't really have to worry about energy management, it was all guns blazing and hope for the best situation, but he needs to work on his power if he wants to try and start sleeping the bigger guys. He showed on Saturday night he has all the skills and movement and understanding of the striking arts to hit anyone, from any angle, even the best defensive boxer in the world... He played with him in the opening rounds, Floyd did not expect that, but he didn't trouble him, because he hasn't learned how to use the kinetic chain to plough into those shots.

When he learns that, coupled with his movement and feinting, he'll be a very scary individual... Imagine all the usual McGregor movements, overhands, feints, and then bang, a powershot you didn't see coming that he sits down on? He'd drop people whilst they're covering up.

Dana (sounding extremely happy with life) told Urijah Faber backstage on Tuesday Night Contender Series that MayMac did 6.5 million PPV buys. Some Vegas bookies have already paid out bets on the early line they offered (which was Over 4.4 million buys).

Australian newspaper (Herald) reported that MayMac was the 2nd biggest PPV of all time in Australia behind Mundine-Green but ahead of May-Pac, Tyson-Holyfield etc.

I think it's difficult to say that he doesn't have an issue with conditioning. Fit as a fiddle, but lacking elite fitness in the cardio sense.

His stamina management was an issue in some scraps, particularly Diaz 1. He went gung-ho swigging from the back of the hall and ended up suffering.

Relating to the fight the other night. I don't think stamina management was a factor. He was hardly Wayne McCullough in there. He was very controlled, selective, relaxed and thought out, yet by rd 6 he was running on fumes.

He and his team were making a point about going 12 rds easily in sparring, and you can bet there was more action in those rds than there was in the fight. Yes, I know it's only sparring, but it's intense and busy and "full" on. So, IF he was fresh and fit for 12 rds of action in sparring, why after 6 rds of ordinary action against Floyd, who hadn't at that stage really worked Conor over, was he looking jaded?

Did the lights, the stage, the event and all that take away a lot of his energy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,898 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I think it's a very interesting topic and most importantly, if investigated and not brushed off, can only benefit him in future fights. First thing I noticed that night was how much he was sweating before the fight even started. Not sure if he was sprayed with water before the 2 met for the referee chat or if he was actually sweating?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Pre ACL and post ACL for me is the cardio issue. He went 3 fast rounds against Holloway looking fresh. Did his ACL in that fight. Can't run on the road anymore now so his legs aren't used to the bounce.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

He and his team were making a point about going 12 rds easily in sparring, and you can bet there was more action in those rds than there was in the fight. Yes, I know it's only sparring, but it's intense and busy and "full" on. So, IF he was fresh and fit for 12 rds of action in sparring, why after 6 rds of ordinary action against Floyd, who hadn't at that stage really worked Conor over, was he looking jaded?

Did the lights, the stage, the event and all that take away a lot of his energy?

The simplest answer to this question is Floyd. Although he hadn't really "worked Conor over" at that stage I'm sure he was doing something that was causing Conor to expend more energy than in his sparring sessions. Add in the lights, stage, event etc

Relating to the fight the other night. I don't think stamina management was a factor. He was hardly Wayne McCullough in there. He was very controlled, selective, relaxed and thought out, yet by rd 6 he was running on fumes.

So, IF he was fresh and fit for 12 rds of action in sparring, why after 6 rds of ordinary action against Floyd, who hadn't at that stage really worked Conor over, was he looking jaded?

1. You say he was running on fumes by Round 6 but his output actually increased after round 6. He threw 108 punches combined in rounds 7 & 8 compared to 97 punches in rounds 5 & 6.

It's round 9 IMO when he really started to pay the price for earlier efforts.

2. Simple really. He was probably hitting his sparring partners more!! It's far more tiring to be constantly missing punches and Conor only landed 23% of his punches against Floyd. In sparring he was probably hitting Artem, Tiernan Bradley, Dashon Johnson far more than that, so he would have been able to see the rounds out better.

That raises the question on choice of sparring partners. Funnily enough, even though he's a 135lb southpaw, they could have done worse than accept Lomachenko's offer to spar because Conor would have got used to missing with 80% of his shots and trying to find comfort in missing so much.

3. Definitely not this. He rose to the occasion as always.

I think the most important analysis here is what Conor himself said - he felt it was too easy after 3 rounds and got over-excited at how easy it was. Floyd was barely throwing a punch in return and Conor coasted to a 3-0 lead. The statistics back that up too:

He was pacing himself well in rounds 1, 2, 3. He threw:

34 - Round 1
    42 - Round 2
    39 - Round 3

He got over-excited at winning those rounds so easily, then did this:

65 - Round 4
    51 - Round 5

It was a bad pacing issue as opposed to bad base cardio. It's very difficult to go fro a steady 38 punches a round to suddenly throwing 60+ rounds and not have it affect you.

I'd also question the advice he was getting from the corner. I was impressed when John told him not to throw when Floyd was shelling up but I think that advice came too late. By round 3 the corner team were laughing at how easy it was and I honestly think they lost perspective by not recognizing that Floyd was coasting.

I would have preferred Roddy to get hold of Conor and advise him to take a round off. If you're up 3-0 and it's clear you're not going to KO him, then you should be focusing on going the distance and trying to sneak a few later rounds on the scorecards. Hindsight is 20-20 but it would have been great advice for Conor to take it handy in rounds 4, 5, 6 after he built the lead.

In that respect it was a learning experience for sure.

The other side of all that - by round 7 Floyd had barely thrown over 100 punches while Conor was closing in on 300, so Conor was always going to *look* extremely gassed in comparison to Floyd, especially carrying over a stone more weight. If you put someone who just ran for the bus beside someone who was chilling at the bus stop, they'll look more gassed :cool:

Did you find out Conor and Floyd's ring weights?

Did you find out Conor and Floyd's ring weights?

Not offically but Lockhart said Conor was going in at 170/171lb. The visual difference between the Diaz 2 fight and this fight was crazy - his upper body looked far more muscular and his calves still looked like tree trunks.

He'll need to cut his arm off if he ever wants to make 145lb ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

That whole pre-fight talk about being fresh as a daisy after 12 rounds in sparring was just to hype up the fight. He referenced his cardio issues in his post fight press conference saying that all during camp during his sparring sessions he'd get to round six and couldn't see the finish line. Also said that he tended to get going again in round 11 because he knew he had only 6 minutes left. This kind of ties in with Paulie's version of events as well.

Well that's it settled.

Dana White and Eddie Hearn, 2 bastions of truth, have spoken :pac:

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/902804812009537537

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well that's it settled.

Dana White and Eddie Hearn, 2 bastions of truth, have spoken :pac:

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn/status/902804812009537537

Eddie Hearn thought the question was about the size of his ego...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

.ak wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think he has an issue with conditioning... Yes, I know all evidence points to the opposite, but for Diaz 1 for me it was a combo of unloading power shots and missed kicks and then getting tagged with a solid 1+2, in Diaz 2 he was in an absolute war until the 4th round where he dipped for like 30 seconds, keep in mind Diaz at times was hitting the canvas just to get a breather.

In this fight he had to box, against a boxer... I don't care if you run 10 ultraman's a year, you can't prep yourself for that sort of conditioning in that short a time. Boxers train their entire lives to output that much in an elite fight. He threw a huge amount of punches, more than most have against Floyd. He was always going to burn out after the 4th.

He needs to improve two things; his energy management, and his power.

I suppose for this fight he didn't really have to worry about energy management, it was all guns blazing and hope for the best situation, but he needs to work on his power if he wants to try and start sleeping the bigger guys. He showed on Saturday night he has all the skills and movement and understanding of the striking arts to hit anyone, from any angle, even the best defensive boxer in the world... He played with him in the opening rounds, Floyd did not expect that, but he didn't trouble him, because he hasn't learned how to use the kinetic chain to plough into those shots.

When he learns that, coupled with his movement and feinting, he'll be a very scary individual... Imagine all the usual McGregor movements, overhands, feints, and then bang, a powershot you didn't see coming that he sits down on? He'd drop people whilst they're covering up.

He does have an endurance issue, I suspect the majority of it is genetics though. It could probably be improved with the proper training, whether or not he's currently doing the best possible right now is unknown. He also gets mentally tired when things dont go his way early as he's so used to it. You can tell he literally looks tired from round 3, eyelids half closed, tired posture. No way that is from regular fatigue. He was breathing heavy at the endof round 2...His corner should probably have told him to conserve more round 3 or take round 4 off, instead from then it was mcgregor throwing weak punches constantly, not giving himself a chance to recover and mayweather losing respect and walking him down.

You're wrong about him being all guns blazing for this fight. He was being conservative except for the uppercut (which was the shot he was hoping to KO mayweather with, got close too) But he knew there was a posibility it wouldn't land so except for that most shots were not full power. He still got tired very early.

His power is good with his straight left, one in particular in round 2 was very powerful and rocked mayweather even though he blocked it. Uppercut was powerful too. But when he starts to tire there is nothing in his punches. It's a mix of fatigue and bad technique, outside of the straight left his punches definitely need technique improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Pre ACL and post ACL for me is the cardio issue. He went 3 fast rounds against Holloway looking fresh. Did his ACL in that fight. Can't run on the road anymore now so his legs aren't used to the bounce.

I've always echoed this, I think he put on too much muscle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement