Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In fairness, walshie, as he was throwing the uppercut, Floyd punches him in the shoulder....which is why it didn't have as much torque on it and wasn't flush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rumour circulating that this did 6.5m buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Mellor wrote: »
    Rumour circulating that this did 6.5m buys.

From Danas mouth, I'll wait until Showtime or someone reliable releases numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Am I alone in not giving an absolute toss how many buys or how much money the fight generates?

Not having a go at anybody, I'm just wondering am I alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Am I alone in not giving an absolute toss how many buys or how much money the fight generates?

Not having a go at anybody, I'm just wondering am I alone

Agreed, I couldnt give a toss about ppv numbers or how much richer its gonna make them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In fairness, walshie, as he was throwing the uppercut, Floyd punches him in the shoulder....which is why it didn't have as much torque on it and wasn't flush.

Good point. I'd like to watch it back in real time to see what kind of venom Conor appeared to put into it. From watching the fight I saw very little if any real venom type shots thrown. Conor always struck me as a "boxer" who doesn't have that wow venomous delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

walshb wrote:
    Did the lights, the stage, the event and all that take away a lot of his energy?

Weight cut

Pussyhands wrote:
    Conors nearing the end of his fighting career. Don't see him adopting any serious changes to training etc now.

He's only getting started, trust me!

He's going to fight out his UFC contract then fight for himself in association with. That's how he gets the huge paychecks Floyd gets. He is looking to become a billionaire. Floyd now has over 1billion in winnings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Dont think its anything to do with the ''going getting tough'' when Conor gasses, I think hes got a strong 8 minutes in him at the moment,

the going wasnt getting that tough in round 4 and he looked to be tiring to me, forget the punch count numbers they dont tell the story, round 2 v Diaz he was dominating rd 2 with knockdowns took no punishment of importance and still completely gassed at the end against the cage and had to take rd 3 to recover, its a massive problem that needs fixing refuse to believe it cannot be corrected.

Doc Dalby I thought would be the right man to fix this. I wonder how involved he is really, or how much say he has. As well as being an absolute space cadet he's actually seriously knowledgeable and was way ahead of his time when it came to nutrition and training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Doc Dalby I thought would be the right man to fix this. I wonder how involved he is really, or how much say he has. As well as being an absolute space cadet he's actually seriously knowledgeable and was way ahead of his time when it came to nutrition and training

Think he just stands around looking at a stopwatch periodically and talks in a very monotone voice the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The panic angle is interesting, the gas face is there way too early for it to be just being puffed out of it after 5 mins.

Well he cant correct his rowing technique.... he is most likely part of the yes man clique around Conor that are afraid to given honest appraisals of stuff like that inc fitness, also being a cardio expert is all well and good cycling ect but combat cardio is different and way more complexed than sticking numbers in on the bike.

I thought he was beginning to look tired right before the Alvarez ko, havent watched it in a while but suspected that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamebred wrote: »
    Well he cant correct his rowing technique.... he is most likely part of the yes man clique around Conor that are afraid to given honest appraisals of stuff like that inc fitness, also being a cardio expert is all well and good cycling ect but combat cardio is different and way more complexed than sticking numbers in on the bike.

I think it's all getting overblown. He couldn't last a 12 round boxing fight, so what? Amateurs take a few years to get 12 round fit.

Boxing pundits like Max Kellerman are shocked he had the fitness for 10. He gassed in the end of round 2 and whole of round 3 versus Diaz...again, so what?

Diaz gassed for the 4th round and took it off too. He's shown the recovery can be there. That will only get better. His cardio ain't so bad for MMA. He's trained for a 25 min fight, what 5 times?

Lukker- wrote: »
    I think it's all getting overblown. He couldn't last a 12 round boxing fight, so what? Amateurs take a few years to get 12 round fit.

Boxing pundits like Max Kellerman are shocked he had the fitness for 10. He gassed in the end of round 2 and whole of round 3 versus Diaz...again, so what?

Diaz gassed for the 4th round and took it off too. He's shown the recovery can be there. That will only get better. His cardio ain't so bad for MMA. He's trained for a 25 min fight, what 5 times?

He was running from Nate in that fight to try reset and catch a breathe, he has clear cardio issues its not even disputable imo, sure they said it would be handy with all the breaks inbetween rounds in boxing that was of zero help by round 4 after boxing 12 mins and had 4 minutes of rest he was fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Provided Conor doesn't have some underlying medical condition, He should be able to change his training and work on stamina and endurance over time. He wasn't going able to correct this problem in a 6 week training camp

Floyd has amazing stamina, even at his age. He was fresh as a daisy after 10 rds and probably could have gone another 10

People say Conor gassed because he went all out in the first 2 rounds. I agree he won those rounds, but if that was him going 'all out' then it was fairly tame..

In regards to Conor's power, it was really none existent in this fight. Even when he was supposedly going 'all out'. The best shot he landed in the early rounds was the uppercut and it barely phased Floyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Rogan on McGregor's stamina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Looks like Helwani didn't get paid for his interview with McGregor at the "An Experience with...." event he did in Jan.

They said they went bankrupt.

I think a lot of people flagged in here that that company was a bit dodgy at the time.

:rolleyes:
    Very surprised both Conor and Ariel got involved with these people though. Seriously dodgy crowd. Funded by "backers" from Greece and the owner has a bankruptcy order against him and has cancelled the last 3 shows he tried to put on.

The guy running it is dodgy beyond belief.
    He should be able to change his training and work on stamina and endurance over time. He wasn't going able to correct this problem in a 6 week training camp

He's been doing the McGregor Fast thing for a solid year and a half at this stage. I think his general cardio is more-or-less excellent but there's clearly something not right.

What were the 2 worst examples of him gassing? Diaz 1 and Floyd. That's without question because he was stopped in both fights.

What did those fights have in common? 1) Nate & Floyd didn't throw (much) at Conor early on, which forced Conor to go to them and 2) As the fight progressed, both of them were able to take the center of the cage/ring, shell up and walk Conor down.

How many opponents in the UFC have succeeded in getting Conor circling with his back to the cage for any sustained period? One - Nate Diaz. Against Max Holloway, Conor had center-cage for most of the fight.

Whatever about the cardio, stylistically Conor is a flat-track bully. Once he can establish center-cage and get his opponents on the end of his range, he's devastating. He's also great in the open space at landing counters on the back-foot (Brimage/Aldo).

Conor's power - I'm sure he hits hard but the reality is it's his rounds 1 & 2 counters that are so precise and hurtful. The reason he never hurt Floyd was partly because Floyd wasn't throwing when Conor was fresh - the one time he threw, Conor picked off the uppercut (which IMO hit the upper chest before the chin).

The major chink in Conor's armour is he's not good with his back to the ropes/cage. Name one great punch he has landed in his entire career while he was circling on the outside? I can't think of a single one.

Once guys can smother Conor it's as if he starts to suffocate mentally and physically without the space he likes to work with.

When guys get him backing up and circling near the ropes, he doesn't seem to know what to do. That's why I've always felt Woodley is a very winnable fight for Conor because all Woodley likes to do is circle the cage & explode out, which suits Conor down to the ground. The likes of Kevin Lee/Ferguson would be far worse match-ups because both have shown the ability to get their opponents backing up.

If Conor ever asked me for advice in some dream world, I would tell him to get himself into sparring and practice round-upon-round of ONLY fighting with his back to the cage. Literally put a rope down in a circle in the cage and he's not allowed to step outside the rope. Just constant practice with different sparring partners walking him down while he circles and come up with solutions.

He wouldnt be a dual ufc champ with bum cardio I think we who are saying its an issue are being somewhat picky and maybe asking for too much from him, as a fan I wish he would could keep a similar pace up for a full fight it would be mind boggling to watch that for 5 rounds, end of round 2 at 202 v Nate he was winning so easy yet just changed in an instant its very weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

He wouldnt be a dual ufc champ with bum cardio I think we who are saying its an issue are being somewhat picky and maybe asking for too much from him, as a fan I wish he would could keep a similar pace up for a full fight it would be mind boggling to watch that for 5 rounds, end of round 2 at 202 v Nate he was winning so easy yet just changed in an instant its very weird.

Listener to Paulie (i know)on Ariels show the other day, but he made a point that when someone puts pressure on Conor, and things aren't going the way he wants, he seems to flag very quickly and look for a way out.

Could it be self doubt doing the damage?

Listener to Paulie (i know)on Ariels show the other day, but he made a point that when someone puts pressure on Conor, and things aren't going the way he wants, he seems to flag very quickly and look for a way out.

Possibly but he was hammering Diaz in round 2 then the momentum swung and he was getting lit up on the fence so thats why I dont think its self doubt, he wasnt in trouble in rd 4 on Saturday ate very little damaging shots as far as I remember (only watched it once) and seemed to start heavy breathing while he was up a few rounds so no reason to self doubt,

Worth noting theres nobody who he trains with good enough to really walk him down in any sort of serious way while sparring, Paulie is literally the best fighter hes ever sparred with striking wise I would say likes of Artem and Ward aint capable of backing him up.

Conor said if the fight did MayPac numbers ( 4.6m?) That he'd get 100m. This did 6.5 so how much will make, ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

It could be the other way around.

Things go his way "while" he has energy, and things don't when he is tired

Dalby is more than cycling though. Really interesting guy and wouldn't strike me as a yes man either.
    He got in trouble at a race years back cs his socks weren't white enough so he turned up next day with a swastika on his cap.
    He's been around bodybuilding and MMA for a good number of years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Is it possible that his Mystic Mac predictions are coming back to bite him in the ass? If a fight goes past whatever stage he has predicted it to end, he suffers a cardio dump brought on from self doubt?

Diaz 1 did he predicted one round I believe. Mayweather he predicted inside 2 when it changed to 8oz gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Conor said if the fight did MayPac numbers ( 4.6m?) That he'd get 100m. This did 6.5 so how much will make, ??

We've only Dana and Eddie Hearn's word that the PPV was massive but the other analytics I checked are fantastic. Twitter impressions and google searches were almost triple and quadruple respectively what Mayweather-Pacquiao did, which is pretty amazing when you think about it.

Conor has come out of this almost perfectly in a defeat. He put up a good fight, he landed some highlight reel punches, he was never dropped, he gets the 111 punch statistic to use in future promos (even though it's misleading) and he went out on his feet. The average casual fan watching that fight wouldn't have known Floyd was chilling in the early rounds either and they would have thought 'ok, wow Conor is a tough dude'.

The article I read estimated his earnings for the fight at $130 million for a PPV over 6 million. Only his accountant will ever know for sure! He has for sure gained nearly 4 million followers on instagram this month and that usually means more leverage in sponsors negotiations. He also gets the number 1 spot on the Forbes List of active sportsmen when it updates, ahead of Ronaldo.

It's all good apart from the cardio stuff which should surely cripple the McGregor Fast system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Definitely some self doubt going on you can see it in his face as things start going south. He turns into a completely different fighter when that happens. You could see it watching so obviously floyd does right in front of him.

I honestly think Conor could have done even better in that fight. He needs more varied hand positioning to throw better punches. He only had 2 positions in that fight, one was his guard up which he's obviously very uncomfortable with. If you look at how his hands were positioned in older fights like the one against ivan buchinger it was much different letting him get off different types of punches, and his ko in that was a similar slip like the one he done several times against floyd but a left counter instead of uppercut, he should have mixed things up a bit which would have kept floyd off him longer. He only had 1 'money shot' option but what happens if it doesn't get the job done? Also needs to follow up on punches a few times, pretty much 100% of the time after he lands a good shot, he does nothing, doesn't capitalize on it to throw something else immediately after whilst his opponent might be a bit dazed. His footwork seemed a bit off too at some points very clumsy looking. There was one point he showed some good backwards movement which made floyd freeze for a second, so he has it in him, I think he just crumbles mentally which makes his confidence and skill reduce greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Is it possible that his Mystic Mac predictions are coming back to bite him in the ass? If a fight goes past whatever stage he has predicted it to end, he suffers a cardio dump brought on from self doubt?

Diaz 1 did he predicted one round I believe. Mayweather he predicted inside 2 when it changed to 8oz gloves.

It's not really a mystery at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

spix wrote: »
    Definitely some self doubt going on you can see it in his face as things start going south. He turns into a completely different fighter when that happens. You could see it watching so obviously floyd does right in front of him.

I honestly think Conor could have done even better in that fight. He needs more varied hand positioning to throw better punches. He only had 2 positions in that fight, one was his guard up which he's obviously very uncomfortable with. If you look at how his hands were positioned in older fights like the one against ivan buchinger it was much different letting him get off different types of punches, and his ko in that was a similar slip like the one he done several times against floyd but a left counter instead of uppercut, he should have mixed things up a bit which would have kept floyd off him longer. He only had 1 'money shot' option but what happens if it doesn't get the job done? Also needs to follow up on punches a few times, pretty much 100% of the time after he lands a good shot, he does nothing, doesn't capitalize on it to throw something else immediately after whilst his opponent might be a bit dazed. His footwork seemed a bit off too at some points very clumsy looking. There was one point he showed some good backwards movement which made floyd freeze for a second, so he has it in him, I think he just crumbles mentally which makes his confidence and skill reduce greatly.

All valid points but I don't think you're giving enough credit to Floyd. A lot of what Conor did and did not do was down to his opponent. At times I felt he wasn't following up with combos because he felt he had to be careful not to get suckered into a trap, which Floyd was trying to set all night.

Look back to the Alvarez fight if you want an idea if McGregor can follow up or capitalize on a strike... In the first round he was very calm and measured, but in the second he absolutely punished Eddie whenever anything landed, he was relentless there.

The difference? The opponent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement