Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

spix wrote: »
    Mcgregor countered mayweather with that same combo I think 5 times over the first 2 rounds, it was obviously the punch he planned to ko him with. Once in round 2 was insanely close to landing on the point of mayweathers chin instead of the back like in this video. I wish mcgregor used a different counter in some of those instead of always attempting the uppercut, a la ivan buchinger ko. I think he gets a punch in his head and always goes for it, being stubborn with the uppercut got him in trouble in diaz 1 fight.

Yeah I'd say in his head he thought "ohh I nearly had him there, I'll keep trying this one". The more I look back over the fight the more impressed I am with his performance. He was worrying Floyd in the first 2 rounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Nal wrote: »
    No power in that uppercut unfortunately.

It sort of drove through Floyd when it should have whipped/snapped through him.
    He should have ditched Paulie and the cycling and the head phones and had a chat with this lad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJixwf0ouw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

walshb wrote: »
    It sort of drove through Floyd when it should have whipped/snapped through him.
    He should have ditched Paulie and the cycling and the head phones and had a chat with this lad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WJixwf0ouw

Jeasus, now that's an uppercut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Or this one at 47 seconds

Or this one at 47 seconds

Mike, when all things are considered was one hell of a tough man....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Holly Holm vs Katie Taylor anyone?

Isn't Holm a lot bigger than Katie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xtal191 wrote: »
    Holly Holm vs Katie Taylor anyone?

Isn't Holm a lot bigger than Katie?
    Both fight at 135lbs

Mike, when all things are considered was one hell of a tough man....

He was KO'd 5 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Perry12 wrote: »
    He was worrying Floyd in the first 2 rounds

No chance! I didn't think people were still thinking that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

He was KO'd 5 times.

And......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Classy instagram post by Conor btw

He was KO'd 5 times.

Not sure that's meant to refute my claim, but anyway....

Tough as hell IMO; suffered with some indiscipline, but that was one single incident through his whole career.

His losses he took like a man. You had to beat the fight out of him....

The 2002 LL loss is one example, as is the Buster Tokyo pasting...

Chin of granite as well...

Effects wrote: »
    No chance! I didn't think people were still thinking that.

Ok maybe "worrying" is a bit strong but he was holding his own for sure and giving Floyd something to think about. He'd have been worried if that uppercut was flush

Perry12 wrote: »
    Ok maybe "worrying" is a bit strong but he was holding his own for sure and giving Floyd something to think about. He'd have been worried if that uppercut was flush

It was flush enough. The problem wasn't the clarity or flushness, but the impact and speed (had ok speed only) and delivery of the shot. Conor doesn't throw wow boxing punches. Not the kind that I think would make him a genuine credible threat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It was flush enough. The problem wasn't the clarity or flushness, but the impact and speed (had ok speed only) and delivery of the shot. Conor doesn't throw wow boxing punches. Not the kind that I think would make him a genuine credible threat.

Mayweather just takes shots like a champ. Nothing fazes him.

And......

Just saying that he wasn't that tough. Wouldn't have been KO'd 5 times if he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Mayweather just takes shots like a champ. Nothing fazes him.

He's only human... he does get fazed but hides it well.

Just saying that he wasn't that tough. Wouldn't have been KO'd 5 times if he was.

Sorry, that's absolute nonsense. Not sure you are thinking of tough like me? It's not just win or lose...

You need to assess and analyse and study up on what you are watching. To come away not thinking Mike was tough after reviewing his career, fights, wins, losses, manner of losses, what he was hit with, how much he was hit etc etc, then you have no freaking idea of what it is that makes a tough competitor.

It's a waste discussing it with you if you simply come out with "he can't be tough because he lost (was knocked out) 5 times."

For the record not all were clean KO losses. In his prime he was never knocked out. He beat the count and was still wanting to go on.

I didn't think it was that flush, it grazed the chest and didn't connect flush under the chin. Floyds punch on Conor's shoulder took some of the sting out of it as he was winding up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tyson wasn't tough, what??>

Three of those KOs came at the tail of his career. Hardly fair to judge his whole career on the McBride fight.
    Buster Douglas and Holyfield were the only two during his prime. There were at least some additional influence for the Buster Douglas loss.
    And I don't know how the 10th and 11th round of the Holyfield fight show that Tyson was anything of the than a tough SOB.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Tyson wasn't tough, what??>

Three of those KOs came at the tail of his career. Hardly fair to judge his whole career on the McBride fight.
    Buster Douglas and Holyfield were the only two during his prime. There were at least some additional influence for the Buster Douglas loss.
    And I don't know how the 10th and 11th round of the Holyfield fight show that Tyson was anything of the than a tough SOB.

Tyson's prime was not post prison, so the Holyfield fights were not his prime. Not close, and you can see the marked difference in speed and feet and overall intensity. He was not the same fighter.

Course was tough, hes Mike Tyson! Point Im making is that he wasn't as tough as other great boxers.
    Tyson's prime was not post prison, so the Holyfield fights were not his prime. Not close, and you can see the marked difference in speed and feet and overall intensity. He was not the same fighter.

He was 30 when he fought Holyfield. Not much older than McGregor is now. Holyfield was 34. Tyson is younger than Lennox Lewis.

Part of being a great is longevity. He didn't have that. .

Course was tough, hes Mike Tyson! Point Im making is that he wasn't as tough as other great boxers.

Who? What measure and criteria and reasoning are you using?

Who? What measure and criteria and reasoning are you using?

The fact that he didn't face as many greats as other greats did yet still lost/got KO'd as much/more.

We really should merge these threads! :P Over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

mike tyson discussions on the mma forum..... maybe ye could head on back to the boxing forums now lads.

So According to the ultra reliable chael sonnen, Connor V Nate 3 is penciled in for december.

The fact that he didn't face as many greats as other greats did yet still lost/got KO'd as much/more.

We really should merge these threads! :P Over here.

We'll leave it to the boxing forum where you can show me the "greats" all the others faced that didn't get knocked out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,898 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had asked earlier I wonder how much Nate will want for the trilogy. Turns out between 20-30 mil....yeah that fights never gonna happen.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/31/16232818/coach-nate-diaz-paid-at-least-30-million-conor-mcgregor-trilogy-ufc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I had asked earlier I wonder how much Nate will want for the trilogy. Turns out between 20-30 mil....yeah that fights never gonna happen.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/31/16232818/coach-nate-diaz-paid-at-least-30-million-conor-mcgregor-trilogy-ufc

They're either stupid or pretending to be stupid... That's likely over double what Conor got paid for the 2nd fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Suffered with some indiscipline, but that was one single incident through his whole career.

He let himself down, as low as you can get, in his personal life though.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    He let himself down, as low as you can get, in his personal life though.

That's his personal life. I was discussing his ring life and career and performances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement