Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Classy post on Instagram from McGregor earlier but frustrating none the less now that he is saying the prep for the fight wasnt right.

For me that much was obvious last March, April & May when he seemed to be on a bender. Fair enough the fight hadnt been made at that point but you would have thought that with such a big potential fight on the horizon in a sport he never had a professional fight in before it would have demanded a much longer camp than the 10 weeks they gave it. I know there is such a thing as camp burnout but I also thought he needed longer to learn boxing and improve cardio. I feel he really should have been taking the Mayweather fight seriously long before it was ever contracted and if the fight didnt happen then what of it, no big loss, skills and cardio gained.

Its disappointing to hear him now say that 10 weeks wasnt enough when its in the past and theres nothing that can be done about it now. Id say he will regret the camp and will always be wondering what could have been. Maybe a longer camp wouldnt have made any difference to the outcome but the not knowing must eat him up because he cant get that time he had on his hands in March, April & May back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Diaz is obviously looking for his final huge paycheck, I doubt he'd even take the fight seriously, honestly hope he never fights him again.

Ferguson/Lee winner, Khabib and Gaetjhe are the only fights at lightweight that interest me and then Woodly if he decides to move up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ah come on McG is a brand and he has to keep the hype up so he needs excuses after all the sh1t he talked about Flyod. Saying I was beaten by a 40 year old smaller guy with brittle hands doesn't really cut it for the % of McG fans who love the hype and bullsh1t.

He doesn't need excuses he put on a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

That's a pretty big statement to make.

Trust me. Announcement by the end of September. Full press tour, the 4th quarter promotion push will be built around that card being their biggest ever, will draw on the pride new years cards for promotion inspiration. The deal is done bar the specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

I'd like to see Khabib and then maybe the winner of Ferguson/Lee. It would be nice to see Max Holloway get a shot too.

I'm not crazy about another Diaz fight or another Aldo fight.

I don't think Conor would do well against Woodley or in another boxing bout against a top tier super welterweight or Middleweight.

Above all I'd like to see McGregor fight in Ireland,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'd like to see Khabib and then maybe the winner of Ferguson/Lee. It would be nice to see Max Holloway get a shot too.

I'm not crazy about another Diaz fight or another Aldo fight.

I don't think Conor would do well against Woodley or in another boxing bout against a top tier super welterweight or Middleweight.

Above all I'd like to see McGregor fight in Ireland,

Never gonna happen for tax reasons. He fights in Vegas and pays 10-12% tax, fighting in Ireland, it would be closer to 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Trust me. Announcement by the end of September. Full press tour, the 4th quarter promotion push will be built around that card being their biggest ever, will draw on the pride new years cards for promotion inspiration. The deal is done bar the specifics.

Can I ask how you got this information? You can PM me if you like. Id really consider heading over for it. I'd get cheaper flights before it's announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think the Diaz fight will be next but I don't think Nate deserves it really and hope he gets finished. He's living off those two fights with Conor and then doesn't bother with his own career until there's another chance to fight Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Ush1 wrote: »
    I think the Diaz fight will be next but I don't think Nate deserves it really and hope he gets finished. He's living off those two fights with Conor and then doesn't bother with his own career until there's another chance to fight Conor.

Would love to see Khabib vs Nate at 155.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

He done nothing but bitch and follow Conor like a fly on ****e since 202 turning up at his fights smacks of desperation as a Diaz fan im finally sick of the pair of them and the thug act its boring now fight or gtfo.

• Advertisement

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Would love to see Khabib vs Nate at 155.

Would have loved Ferguson vs Nate but Nate just pissed and whinged about money.

It's a shame because I like to watch him fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

I'd love to see Holloway get a shot with ferguson and Lee unavailable for December and khabib unlikely to make the cut safely. Hes grown so much as a fighter since their last meeting when he was pretty young, would be a great match up imo.

Khabib v Nate is a fight I don't ever see mentioned, would love to see it. There grappling styles would make it very interesting.

Edit: just see jamiekellys post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Khabib v Nate is a fight I don't ever see mentioned, would love to see it. There grappling styles would make it very interesting.

Edit: just see jamiekellys post.

Nate would get rag-dolled. See Nate v RDA or Nate v Rory. Granted both of those are better strikers than Khabib but the Diaz's don't fare well against wrestling at all.

Nate would get rag-dolled. See Nate v RDA or Nate v Rory. Granted both of those are better strikers than Khabib but the Diaz's don't fare well against wrestling at all.

Agreed, add Benson Henderson to that list also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Khabib v Nate
    Connor vs Ferguson
    On the same night, Winner vs winner later that year would make me jiz my pants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I would like to see Ferguson v McGregor. I think he deserves it. I'd love to see Khabib v conor too but he is a serial pull out artist, Aldo is a complete whinge bag. I'm not overly pushed on the Nate trilogy. But i would rather see that than Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Conor has always said 'I need to see activity' so for him to ask for Khabib to me just meant that he was looking for the big pay day, big tour of Russia, lots of smack talk and bravado generating big bucks. Whereas the winner from Lee /Ferguson should be the natural choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Aldo doesn't even deserve to be mentioned alongside Mcgregor. has been salty since the "13" seconds, and doesnt deserve to be on the same poster. he needs to get through probably 2 fights for even a chance at the FW title and even still Holloway will murder him.

For the FW division would like to See:
    Choi V Aldo
    Swanson V Yair
    Frankie V Halloway

For the LW Divison would like to See:
    Duffy V Iaquinta/Chiesa Winner of that V Winner of Pettis/Porrier
    Khabib v Alverez/Gaethje winner
    Conor Vs winner of Ferg/Lee

Aldo has to fight Cub next imo

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

For me that much was obvious last March, April & May when he seemed to be on a bender. Fair enough the fight hadnt been made at that point but you would have thought that with such a big potential fight on the horizon in a sport he never had a professional fight in before it would have demanded a much longer camp than the 10 weeks they gave it. I know there is such a thing as camp burnout but I also thought he needed longer to learn boxing and improve cardio. I feel he really should have been taking the Mayweather fight seriously long before it was ever contracted and if the fight didnt happen then what of it, no big loss, skills and cardio gained.

Its disappointing to hear him now say that 10 weeks wasnt enough when its in the past and theres nothing that can be done about it now. Id say he will regret the camp and will always be wondering what could have been. Maybe a longer camp wouldnt have made any difference to the outcome but the not knowing must eat him up because he cant get that time he had on his hands in March, April & May back.

Good point, I agree. There was 7 months between Alvarez and the announcement of Mayweather fight. We know he was working towards that fight the whole time so it didn't just pop out of nowhere (for him). I would say in his mind he pretty much knew it was happening and it was just a case of agreeing on the numbers.

A longer camp wouldn't have been right (overtrain) but he had plenty of time for preparatory work and mini-camps. Plenty of time to assess his fitness. Certainly plenty of time to think about strategy, cornermen etc.

He seemed to be on a month long bender at one stage when the baby was nearly due. Off his face up a tree in Liverpool. Might have been nerves about becoming a father etc but he definitely should be asking himself if he used those 7 months productively.

Nate is seriously dangerous off his back, Khabibs top control is prob best in ufc. Great fight I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Its testament to the UFCs marketing that when Nate Diaz asks for a fair price for his time that its instantly shot down as ludicrous.

If we work on the Meltzer numbers (as sketchy as they are) Diaz adds 300k PPV buys to a McGregor card and means an increase in the live gate.

McGregor is no doubt the 'A side' in any fight and deserves more, but Nate obviously brings value.

Ignoring VAT (or the US equivalent) compared to Alvarez who brought a belt to the table, as well as a much stronger card and the added MSG prestige - thats $18m additional PPV revenue.

Lots of complaints about UFC fighter pay across the board, but in reality its the headliners who are really underpaid.

Sure Nate should have been more active, 'earnt' the 3rd fight by taking on some top talent at 155 over the last year and headline a PPV himself to prove his star power - but I can understand him sitting on his hands in the meanwhile with a proper cash cow there for him waiting and any fight inbetween a risk that could jeopardise the biggest pay day going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/903652823887425539

Dana lying again, in other news water is wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/903652823887425539

Dana lying again, in other news water is wet.

I've a feeling he was on about global sales. I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if a PPV ever did 6.5m buys in the US alone.

I still think taking into account all those world wide sales that it probably grossed higher than MayPac. Eddie Hearn hinted that it outsold Joshua/Klitscho in the UK and that did over 1m alone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor v Diaz 3 in the boxing ring? seen it mentioned somewhere and thought it interesting.......1 for 1 in mma sort it in the ring with nothing on line

as it is someone as inactive as Diaz doesn't deserve a title shot in the UFC

I never wanna see Conor box again, mma or nothing please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

xtal191 wrote: »
    I never wanna see Conor box again, mma or nothing please!

Well then the Diaz thing can't ever happen, he needs at least 2 fights or certainly 1 .....and he's only interested in fighting McGregor now (Unless Conor is coming off a loss, then maybe?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Well then the Diaz thing can't ever happen, he needs at least 2 fights or certainly 1 .....and he's only interested in fighting McGregor now (Unless Conor is coming off a loss, then maybe?)

It's happening, on December 30th.

People talking about "deserve". This is the UFC when did fair or deserved ever come into it?

They are dying on their arses this year for ppvs sales and need a big event this calendar year to keep investors happy, that 4billion isn't going to pay itself back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Good point, I agree. There was 7 months between Alvarez and the announcement of Mayweather fight. We know he was working towards that fight the whole time so it didn't just pop out of nowhere (for him). I would say in his mind he pretty much knew it was happening and it was just a case of agreeing on the numbers.

A longer camp wouldn't have been right (overtrain) but he had plenty of time for preparatory work and mini-camps. Plenty of time to assess his fitness. Certainly plenty of time to think about strategy, cornermen etc.

He seemed to be on a month long bender at one stage when the baby was nearly due. Off his face up a tree in Liverpool. Might have been nerves about becoming a father etc but he definitely should be asking himself if he used those 7 months productively.

Didn't people used to laugh at others here for suggesting he wasn't using his time better in the run up to the Aldo fight?

Something about going on benders before camp etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement