Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

khabib in russia would be an incredible spectacle. i want to see that.

ferguson deserves his title shot though.

no real interest in diaz 3 tbh. seems like a forced attempt at an epic trilogy like ward v gatti. feels unwarranted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Owen Roddy on the Late Late tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

froog wrote: »
    khabib in russia would be an incredible spectacle. i want to see that.

ferguson deserves his title shot though.

no real interest in diaz 3 tbh. seems like a forced attempt at an epic trilogy like ward v gatti. feels unwarranted.

Khabin vs Conor Russia is never happening for the same reason Conor vs anyone in Ireland is never happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Khabin vs Conor Russia is never happening for the same reason Conor vs anyone in Ireland is never happening again.

i dunno, the man has serious leverage now, i reckon he can have what he wants

McGregor talked about wanting to create an 'in between' combat sport during the promotion for the Mayweather fight.

A lot of people dismissed it as chit-chat or something that just popped into his head. But we should remember that an awful lot of what he has said under similar circumstances has come true. The Mayweather fight, the McGregor promotion, breaking records etc.

It's very possible he is thinking about or working on a new combat sports ruleset and/or promotion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good point, I agree. There was 7 months between Alvarez and the announcement of Mayweather fight. We know he was working towards that fight the whole time so it didn't just pop out of nowhere (for him). I would say in his mind he pretty much knew it was happening and it was just a case of agreeing on the numbers.

A longer camp wouldn't have been right (overtrain) but he had plenty of time for preparatory work and mini-camps. Plenty of time to assess his fitness. Certainly plenty of time to think about strategy, cornermen etc.

He seemed to be on a month long bender at one stage when the baby was nearly due. Off his face up a tree in Liverpool. Might have been nerves about becoming a father etc but he definitely should be asking himself if he used those 7 months productively.

You put it better than I did.

I hadnt realised that it was a full 7 months since the Alvarez fight and the Mayweather announcement. I guess none of us really know how much training he was doing during that period but it seems unlikely that he was 1) training hard and 2) training for boxing until such time as the fight was actually announced. Hindsight is 20/20 and knowing the way Conor analyses and analyses fights to the absolute death he will be looking back kicking himself inside for not spending longer or more intensity at it during at least five of those seven months. As you said mini-camps focused on cardio & boxing technique would have been the way to go.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Never gonna happen for tax reasons. He fights in Vegas and pays 10-12% tax, fighting in Ireland, it would be closer to 50%

Ive never actually read anything about his tax affairs but if he is an Irish resident for tax purposes then he would pay the 12-15% in Nevada but then he would get hit with another 50% here. He can then reclaim the 12-15% off his Irish tax bill as we have a double taxation treaty with the US.

If he is an Irish resident he gets taxed on his worldwide income, not just what he earns inside of Ireland. If he has spent more than 183 days a year outside of Ireland over 3 consecutive years then he can apply to be a non-resident (like Denis OBrien, Bono & chums) and enjoy taxation where ever he wants, Bermuda, Isle of Man, Switzerland,etc. When you add in companies it gets more complex as you can set them up more or less anywhere you like and under varying laws. If he clears the rumoured $100mill for this fight he had better make sure he has the very best of tax advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭selectamatic

McGregor talked about wanting to create an 'in between' combat sport during the promotion for the Mayweather fight.

A lot of people dismissed it as chit-chat or something that just popped into his head. But we should remember that an awful lot of what he has said under similar circumstances has come true. The Mayweather fight, the McGregor promotion, breaking records etc.

It's very possible he is thinking about or working on a new combat sports ruleset and/or promotion.

I doubt it considering the struggles of k1 kickboxing; which is in essence the perfect in between sport.

Trying to create another hybrid sport sounds like a way to lose an awful lot of money especially when you consider: (A) there already is one & (B) it's been in financial difficulties since things began to unravel in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If he clears the rumoured $100mill for this fight he had better make sure he has the very best of tax advice.

He said at the very end of the after fight presser he has a team of auditors that swoop in, and makes sure every penny gets accounted for.

A combat sport that negates his shortcomings when it comes to high level grappling and allows kicks?

I suggest he explores something called "kick boxing".

He'd get murdered by a top level Glory fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Gamebred wrote: »
    He done nothing but bitch and follow Conor like a fly on ****e since 202 turning up at his fights smacks of desperation as a Diaz fan im finally sick of the pair of them and the thug act its boring now fight or gtfo.

Have to agree. I have soured on Diaz's brothers in general. Their appeal has worn off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭yummymummyjay

froog wrote: »
    i dunno, the man has serious leverage now, i reckon he can have what he wants

Couldn't agree more he calls the shots now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Muahahaha wrote: »
    You put it better than I did.

I hadnt realised that it was a full 7 months since the Alvarez fight and the Mayweather announcement. I guess none of us really know how much training he was doing during that period but it seems unlikely that he was 1) training hard and 2) training for boxing until such time as the fight was actually announced. Hindsight is 20/20 and knowing the way Conor analyses and analyses fights to the absolute death he will be looking back kicking himself inside for not spending longer or more intensity at it during at least five of those seven months. As you said mini-camps focused on cardio & boxing technique would have been the way to go.

Ive never actually read anything about his tax affairs but if he is an Irish resident for tax purposes then he would pay the 12-15% in Nevada but then he would get hit with another 50% here. He can then reclaim the 12-15% off his Irish tax bill as we have a double taxation treaty with the US.

If he is an Irish resident he gets taxed on his worldwide income, not just what he earns inside of Ireland. If he has spent more than 183 days a year outside of Ireland over 3 consecutive years then he can apply to be a non-resident (like Denis OBrien, Bono & chums) and enjoy taxation where ever he wants, Bermuda, Isle of Man, Switzerland,etc. When you add in companies it gets more complex as you can set them up more or less anywhere you like and under varying laws. If he clears the rumoured $100mill for this fight he had better make sure he has the very best of tax advice.

Well he doesn't pay any income tax here anyways. I'm almost certain he is officially a resident of California or Vegas for that purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Good point, I agree. There was 7 months between Alvarez and the announcement of Mayweather fight. We know he was working towards that fight the whole time so it didn't just pop out of nowhere (for him). I would say in his mind he pretty much knew it was happening and it was just a case of agreeing on the numbers.

A longer camp wouldn't have been right (overtrain) but he had plenty of time for preparatory work and mini-camps. Plenty of time to assess his fitness. Certainly plenty of time to think about strategy, cornermen etc.

He seemed to be on a month long bender at one stage when the baby was nearly due. Off his face up a tree in Liverpool. Might have been nerves about becoming a father etc but he definitely should be asking himself if he used those 7 months productively.

Back to Muahahaha's comment.
    Yes McGregor's excuse of having a short camp is BS, Why not start working early on boxing skill and stamina building? If the fight doesn't happen, he has improved his striking and cardio for his next UFC bout.

Regardless of this, In my opinion. Even if McGregor had started to focus on boxing with a proper boxing trainer (not that clown Roddy) and work on stamina building from the beginning of the year. He still wouldn't have been able to beat Floyd Mayweather.

Back to Muahahaha's comment.
    Yes McGregor's excuse of having a short camp is BS, Why not start working early on boxing skill and stamina building? If the fight doesn't happen, he has improved his striking and cardio for his next UFC bout.

Regardless of this, In my opinion. Even if McGregor had started to focus on boxing with a proper boxing trainer (not that clown Roddy) and work on stamina building from the beginning of the year. He still wouldn't have been able to beat Floyd Mayweather.

That's a good way of delegitimising any post you make

A combat sport that negates his shortcomings when it comes to high level grappling and allows kicks?

I suggest he explores something called "kick boxing".

He'd get murdered by a top level Glory fighter.

I think something more along the lines of boxing with smaller gloves and no clinch separations.

His goal seemed to be to create more boxer vs MMA fights ... as soon as you bring in kicks most boxers will say no thanks.

Dana was also going around wearing 'Zuffa Boxing' t-shirts and handing them out to Conor's team. He was asked what it was and was very coy, said it would be announced in good time.

Again, could just have been an off-the-cuff comment by Conor and I am reading too much into it. But very often when he says casually he is planning to do something, it actually comes to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Lukker- wrote:
    Well he doesn't pay any income tax here anyways. I'm almost certain he is officially a resident of California or Vegas for that purpose.

To be tax resident in a country you need to reside in that country for more than 50% of the days in a year AFAIK. I don't think he spends 6months a year in california.

VW 1 wrote: »
    To be tax resident in a country you need to reside in that country for more than 50% of the days in a year AFAIK. I don't think he spends 6months a year in california.

He doesn't but the tax office would have to prove otherwise. I've seen on some fight payouts that he's listed as a resident there, probably why he purchased a house in the first place.

EDIT: IT was actually the NSAC hearing over the Diaz monster can thing. He was asked where he resided, and he responded California I believe. It's why his community service was in the States.

J.K has said himself the reason Conor won't fight in Ireland again is tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

VW 1 wrote: »
    That's the rules in Ireland (and most countries). But in America they tax where it's earned. Especially with sports starts. If an NBA player from Boston flys to New York for a game, he owes tax in New York even bought he doesn't live there. They call it the Jock Tax.
    Look at Pacquaio's tax dispute with the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone catch the full fight on youtube? Excellent feed. Far cleaner and crisper and soundier than the Sky feed last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjntT8tMbwM

I re-watched the fight.

Few points. I enjoyed the fight/spectacle a lot more than when I watched it live

1. Conor didn't do very well for a novice. He did extremely well

2. Floyd was shutdown for 1st 3 rds. He tried. He was shutdown. It's bull to suggest he allowed those rds to Conor.

3. Floyd did better than I thought and fought better. I was too harsh on him. Slightly slower than a few year ago, but only slightly. Part of the reason I believe that Conor gets upgraded for me.

4. To say Conor was 5-0 up is not a stretch. Watch the rds. 3-0 I had him after 3. rd 4 and 5 were very close and competitive.

5. Conor gassed late, not early. He fought very well and hard for 8 rds. He then gassed noticeably. He was tiring alright up to 8, but not gassed.

6. One single rd Conor was outgunned. Rd 9. The rest (barring rd 10) he was either competitive or victorious. He may have lost a few, but he was fighting and competitive.

7. Conor gave Floyd more bother and hassle than a whole heap of other pro boxers, some elites.

8. Ray Leonard, unless I missed it never once gave a score of a rd or rds. He never gave a card. He's a fence sitter. Always has been.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's the rules in Ireland (and most countries). But in America they tax where it's earned. Especially with sports starts. If an NBA player from Boston flys to New York for a game, he owes tax in New York even bought he doesn't live there. They call it the Jock Tax.

Ireland and the US have a tax treaty that means the tax law of the country you are resident in (between the two) is the one that's applied, and there's no double taxation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone catch the full fight on youtube Excellent feed.

I re-watched the fight.

Few points. I enjoyed the fight/spectacle a lot more than when I watched it live

2. Floyd was shutdown for 1st 3 rds. He tried. He was shutdown. It's bull to suggest he allowed those rds to Conor.

3. Floyd did better than I thought and fought better. I was too harsh on him. Slightly slower than a few year ago, but only slightly. Part of the reason I believe that Conor gets upgraded for me.

4. To say Conor was 5-0 up is not a stretch. Watch the rds. 3-0 I had him after 3. rd 4 and 5 were very close and competitive.

5. Conor gassed late, not early. He fought very well and hard for 8 rds. He then gassed noticeably. He was tiring alright up to 8, but not gassed.

6. One single rd Conor was outgunned. Rd 9. The rest he was either competitive or victorious. He may have lost a few, but he was fighting and competitive.

7. Conor gave Floyd more bother and hassle than a whole heap of other pro boxers, some elites.

8. Ray Leonard, unless I missed it never once gave a score of a rd or rds. He never gave a card. He's a fence sitter. Always has been.

Imo Conor gassed very early. He was showing signs of tiring even near end of round 1 and was clearly struggling on the stool at end of round 2. From round 4 he could no longer fend Mayweather off with quick counters so had to try outbox him with short weak punches in close range. In my opinion, his team should have advised him to take round 4 or 5 off to regain energy so he could land something significant. From how Conor was fighting the last couple of rounds all it did was give Floyd confidence to keep walking him down which Conor obviously isn't comfortable with and to keep letting his hands go, he needed to regain respect but couldn't do it. If he took a middle round off he could have landed a big punch whilst floyd was being sloppy.

He did not gas really early. It's just not true, unless your definition of gassing means feeling in any way less fresh than you were in the past..

He put a lot of effort in on offence and on movement and was still fighting in rd 8. That is not a man who started gassing in rd 2 or so...it's bonkers to suggest that.

Gassing is really when the body shuts down and is running on reserves and fumes.

spix wrote: »
    In my opinion, his team should have advised him to take round 4 or 5 off to regain energy so he could land something significant. .

Take them off, how? His best defence was his work and offence. He needed to do that to be competitive. Had he taken the rds off, and say done a lot less on offence, did he have the necessary defensive skills to avoid getting beaten up? He may have been hit cleaner and harder, and who knows, knocked out or stopped.

I always felt that the stamina would be an issue. Said it from day 1. Boxing stamina is really intense. It's different to MMA stamina, and to obtain it can take a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

He did not gas really early. It's just not true, unless your definition of gassing means feeling in any way less fresh than you were in the past..

He put a lot of effort in on offence and on movement and was still fighting in rd 8. That is not a man who started gassing in rd 2 or so...it's bonkers to suggest that.

Gassing is really when the body shuts down and is running on reserves and fumes.

He was visibly struggling way earlier than he should have been and that's just a fact. I kind of knew in round 4 or 5 that things were likely not going to end well. He needed a middle round off to rest but floyd didn't give him a chance to and made him stay active by keeping non stop pressure.

Tiring, yes. But he gassed late, not early. Happens to even career boxers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

There's a reason even Olympic gold medalists turning pro aint thrown into 12 rounds fights, its usally 5 or 6 rounds max even if its against cannon fodder, McGregor excelled himself imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Mellor wrote: »

He's from Ireland so for Irish purposes he's fully taxable here regardless of where the income is earned. If he's taxed in California he'll get a credit in Ireland for US taxes paid. His overall tax rate would be 52%, unless they have some other sort of scheme set up to avoid the Irish taxes. Where he fights in the US or if he fights in Ireland shouldn't affect his tax rate, under all scenarios it would be 52% as no US tax rates would exceed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Anyone catch the full fight on youtube Excellent feed. Far cleaner and crisper and soundier than the Sky feed last week.

I re-watched the fight.

6. One single rd Conor was outgunned. Rd 9. The rest (barring rd 10) he was either competitive or victorious. He may have lost a few, but he was fighting and competitive.

Couldn't agree more. That's precisely how the fight played out.

I think The Mandela Effect is at play with this fight, in that it is/will be remembered by the masses in a way that it doesn't deserve to be. The sheer amount of people you read and hear speaking about this fight and just saying that Floyd toyed with Conor. That Floyd did what he could to make it appear as if it was competitive but pretty much finished McGregor how and when he liked.... is incredulous.

The first three rounds in particular are spoken about as if Floyd decided to throw so few punches but that's not necessarily true as the reality is Floyd was shut down by Conor in a bunch of different ways. Conor awkwardly (from Floyd's perspective at least) stifled Mayweather's jab with his right hand, kept switching stance and threw a high volume of shots. Much of those shots had little power of course but it all had the effect that Floyd couldn't get off his own shots......... absolutely spot on to say that he was not merely given those rounds.

In fact, even if all that was ignored. All one has to do is to look at how well McGregor slipped and countered in the early rounds for evidence that those rounds weren't just conceded by Floyd. Certainly true that he was reading McGregor in those rounds, but just not to the extent which some would have us believe as he couldn't have predicted that Conor would defend as well as he did nor counter as well as he did. Had he not, then Floyd would have landed with the shots he threw and quite handily won those rounds.

Agree also with it being said that he was outgunned in Round 9. Floyd threw 68 punches in that Round and landed with 42 of them. It was the stuff of Rocky that he got to the bell. But his volume of shots in Rounds 7 and 8 were quite high also, just the percentage which Floyd landed with wasn't as great (21 of 51 and 20 of 48) given that Conor defended and slipped the shots well even in his fatiguing state. Which again makes a joke of the notion that Floyd could have finished him anytime he liked. Quite clearly he couldn't.

The fact that Floyd switched his style of fighting three times (as McGregor put it to him in the post fight presser) is also indicative of Conor giving him more trouble in the fight that many seem to want to admit, for whatever reason.

qwabercd wrote: »
    He's from Ireland so for Irish purposes he's fully taxable here regardless of where the income is earned. If he's taxed in California he'll get a credit in Ireland for US taxes paid. His overall tax rate would be 52%, unless they have some other sort of scheme set up to avoid the Irish taxes. Where he fights in the US or if he fights in Ireland shouldn't affect his tax rate, under all scenarios it would be 52% as no US tax rates would exceed this.

He's definitely not paying tax in Ireland otherwise J.K wouldn't have listed it as a reason. No different to Dennis O'Brien being a resident of Malta, but living full time in Ireland. He probably gets paid via company registered in the states

• Advertisement

Easier said than done but Conor needed to jab more. Funny, the punch that we all though his weakest here, in reality was his money shot. His long rangy jab was very effective in the fight. I guess tiring and movement made it drained and more readable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement