Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He'd get murdered by a top level Glory fighter.

Same as a black belt will murder him

Then the wrestler will murder him

Then the boxer will murder him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ireland and the US have a tax treaty that means the tax law of the country you are resident in (between the two) is the one that's applied, and there's no double taxation.
    The tax treaty is a bit more complicated than that though. You're taxed on your total income in Ireland, unless you've already paid tax in the US, in which case you get a credit in Ireland.
    Income derived by a resident of a Contracting State as an entertainer, such as a theatre, motion picture, radio, or television artiste, or a musician, or as a sportsman, from his personal activities as such exercised in the other Contracting State, which income would be exempt from tax in that other Contracting State under the provisions of Articles 14 (Independent Personal Services) and 15 (Dependent Personal Services), may be taxed in that other State, except where the amount of the gross receipts derived by such entertainer or sportsman, including expenses reimbursed to him or borne on his behalf, from such activities does not exceed twenty thousand United States dollars ($20,000) or its equivalent in Irish pounds for the taxable year concerned.
    I'm not a tax account, but the above sounds like professional services for a sportsman are taxed in the other state. But I'm not a tax accountant, could be completely wrong.

All I can remember was tax free gambling in Vegas due to the treaty.
    qwabercd wrote: »
    He's from Ireland so for Irish purposes he's fully taxable here regardless of where the income is earned. If he's taxed in California he'll get a credit in Ireland for US taxes paid. His overall tax rate would be 52%, unless they have some other sort of scheme set up to avoid the Irish taxes. Where he fights in the US or if he fights in Ireland shouldn't affect his tax rate, under all scenarios it would be 52% as no US tax rates would exceed this.
    I'm from Ireland. My income isn't taxed in Ireland. ;)

If his full earnings from Boxing/MMA this year get hit with a flat 52%, he needs a new accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

walshb wrote: »
    He did not gas really early. It's just not true, unless your definition of gassing means feeling in any way less fresh than you were in the past..

He put a lot of effort in on offence and on movement and was still fighting in rd 8. That is not a man who started gassing in rd 2 or so...it's bonkers to suggest that.

Gassing is really when the body shuts down and is running on reserves and fumes.

That's pretty much what he says himself in the following post fight interview.

Interesting also that he talks of not loading up on shots early on as he had the thought of potentially going 12 rounds on his mind and I think that was obvious from watching as his shots looked totally different than how they usually look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Interesting also that he talks of not loading up on shots early on as he had the thought of potentially going 12 rounds on his mind and I think that was obvious from watching as his shots looked totally different than how they usually look.

I kind of criticized his shots in saying how they just weren't boxing punches as I know it. Re-watching it I was a little harsh. They were crisper and cleaner and faster than I had first thought. Of course, they then faded, because his energies were depleting, but when he was fresh his punching wasn't too bad at all.

We have to not forget that this is a first time pro boxer with no previous boxing experience at pro level. I am judging it off this. He gets a grade A from me here.

walshb wrote: »
    I kind of criticized his shots in saying how they just weren't boxing punches as I know it. Re-watching it I was a little harsh. They were crisper and cleaner and faster than I had first thought. Of course, they then faded, because his energies were depleting, but when he was fresh his punching wasn't too bad at all.

For me his punching early on you could see he wasn't loading up on the shots though. They were good shots and crisps like you say, but he just wasn't putting all his power behind them and seems that was because they had a 12 round game plan..... which I'm not sure was the way to go as would have liked to see how Floyd would have dealt with a more ferocious McGregor, even if it meant sacrificing the chance of going the distance.
    We have to not forget that this is a first time pro boxer with no previous boxing experience at pro level. I am judging it off this. He gets a grade A from me here.

Tyson gave him an A too..................

https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/902995848002506759

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Interesting in one the post fight interviews Conor said hes sending in a team of accountants to add up every single figure, there is no flies on him thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's definitely not paying tax in Ireland otherwise J.K wouldn't have listed it as a reason. No different to Dennis O'Brien being a resident of Malta, but living full time in Ireland. He probably gets paid via company registered in the states

It's different when you own the company (a la O'Brien). McGregor I assume has an employment contract so it doesn't matter where the employer is located. Anyway gone way off topic, if JK said it it's obviously the case would like to know how they manage it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

qwabercd wrote: »
    It's different when you own the company (a la O'Brien). McGregor I assume has an employment contract so it doesn't matter where the employer is located. Anyway gone way off topic, if JK said it it's obviously the case would like to know how they manage it!

Aye, maybe it's not a standard employment contract because they are 'independent contractors'?

Anyways however he does it, I doubt the government will see half his Mayweather money!

walshb wrote:

Are you on a massive wind up Walsh? You could easily say you were proven right in everything you predicted,everything did go down similar to how you said apart from Conor landing a few shots, but here you are talking like a Conor fanboy ha. I agree with all tho. Fair play.

Are you on a massive wind up Walsh? You could easily say you were proven right in everything you predicted,everything did go down similar to how you said apart from Conor landing a few shots, but here you are talking like a Conor fanboy ha. I agree with all tho. Fair play.

Couple things...

When you first watch something really expecting something, and that something does not happen, in this case Floyd winning very handily and being completely in control throughout, you view it differently. If you step back and re-watch it and really look deeper you can come away with a different thought.

Initially I gave Conor credit, and really dissed Floyd. But watching it today I give Conor even more credit, and row back a fair bit on the criticism to Floyd.

No wind up at all. Yes, everything I predicted happened, but the one area I was completely wrong on was the competitiveness of the bout. I was so wrong on that. Oh, and the rd TKO/KO prediction. I had it in 6 or less.

Last week, although I credited Conor, I was too harsh on Floyd in trying to explain why the fight was competitive. It was a case of the fight being competitive because of 30 percent Conor being good and 70 percent Floyd being bad. That has changed to 70-30 in Conor's favor.

Turns out it was competitive because in a nutshell, Conor made it competitive. No ifs, buts, maybes.. Conor made it a competitive bout, and for large parts, very competitive.

Oh, and not a fanboy view. Purely a view based off one single fight.

He could fight again and I would assess it the same. He gets scored by me on exactly what I see and what I deem worthy of praise. I would point out good, bad and ugly. It's the way I roll!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Same as a black belt will murder him

Then the wrestler will murder him

Then the boxer will murder him.

In a kickboxing fight against a top ranked glory fighter in his weight class he'd be KOd.

In a grappling match with a competitive black belt or college wrestler he'd be mauled.

He was just stopped by a boxer who never broke a sweat.

My statement stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭selectamatic

In a kickboxing fight against a top ranked glory fighter in his weight class he'd be KOd.

To be fair Badr Hari assumed the same when he fought Alistair Overeem and that ended in a 1st rd KO for the Reem.

The loss was avenged yes but it's yet another example that nothing is guaranteed in combat sports and talking definitively about any such outcome prior to it happening is hyperbole.

Is there any good fighters left in Glory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,898 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Poor Jose sure has a strong opinion on the fight given that he supposedly didn't even watch it...

I've never seen a more bitter athlete after a loss in combat sports. Used to love Aldo but he's taking being a sore loser to another level. Hope he takes another L in his next fight, can't stand listening to him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,576 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To be fair Badr Hari assumed the same when he fought Alistair Overeem and that ended in a 1st rd KO for the Reem.

The loss was avenged yes but it's yet another example that nothing is guaranteed in combat sports and talking definitively about any such outcome prior to it happening is hyperbole.
    Overeem was a kickboxer initially.

Mellor wrote: »

Pretty good one too. Mad considering how many submission finishes he has.

Reem was a world class kickboxing world champion before he ever fought in MMA... Slightly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Mellor wrote: »

True but his time in mma was supposed to have dulled the purity of his striking in a kick boxing sense or at least that was the narrative sold at the time.

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I'd believe him. Lots of athletes and celebs don't actually use Twitter themselves and have people running their accounts for them.

• Advertisement

Is there any good fighters left in Glory?

Of course there is. It's still the top tier of the sport. Great fights too. Watch one of the recent events of fight pass if you're looking for something to pass time at some stage.

Of course there is. It's still the top tier of the sport. Great fights too. Watch one of the recent events of fight pass if you're looking for something to pass time at some stage.

Is it on FightPass? Might give it a go, serious lack of fights lately

Is it on FightPass? Might give it a go, serious lack of fights lately

Yeah on Fightpass the last good while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

moneyman wrote: »
    Poor Jose sure has a strong opinion on the fight given that he supposedly didn't even watch it...

I've never seen a more bitter athlete after a loss in combat sports. Used to love Aldo but he's taking being a sore loser to another level. Hope he takes another L in his next fight, can't stand listening to him anymore.

Jose v Paulie for the inaugural bout in McGregor's new hybrid sport for for the sore loser title? Instead of the belt being made from diamonds and gold it will be crafted solely from sour grapes!

I hated the Floyd fight and the circus it was but Conor did very well for someone who has never fought before and his cardio wasn't that bad, He never boxed before so obviously he was going to tire quicker than normal. Now hopefully he is back to MMA and to kick ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Gamebred wrote: »
    Interesting in one the post fight interviews Conor said hes sending in a team of accountants to add up every single figure, there is no flies on him thats for sure.

Yeah, at the very end of the post fight presser, he has the auditors swoop in and account for every penny.

I'd say Tony knows a few accountants to put everything on the right path.

I'd believe him. Lots of athletes and celebs don't actually use Twitter themselves and have people running their accounts for them.

Nah, it was defo him. He has a good few tweets with multiple smileys like that also, such as this recent one:

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/881008832100655107

And his tweet after 196 shows it's the kind of thing he'd do anyway:

https://twitter.com/josealdojunior/status/706364722719952896

I'd say what happened is that he watched the fight with a load of dickheads who hate McGregor and were sneering at him even attempting this fight and then we he got beat he tweeted it out thinking their view would pretty much match everyone's view of the fight.......... but then since the fight given he can see that people aren't actually laughing at McGregor at all, he's in damage limitation mode and trying to distance himself from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Mad walshy! I reckon judging by those last few posts you are in fact the alter ego of wonderlife and you have bein trollin us big time arguing with yourself since the fight was announced. Have you two ever actually been seen in the same room together???

Fair play man you have risen in my books from "annoying" to "sound" :-)

how.gareth wrote:
    Fair play man you have risen in my books from "annoying" to "sound" :-)

Yep. Gone from cocky snob to genuine realist in my book too.

• Advertisement

Yep. Gone from cocky snob to genuine realist in my book too.

Charmer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement