Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

The Nal wrote: »
    Still some Walter Mitty behaviour in this thread.

Plenty of saltiness and sour grapes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I wonder will we see Conor on the Late Late anytime soon.

This was hilarious

tweet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Silly mare!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Floyd is the tactical genius but conor is the better boxer for landing shots when both are full of energy:)
    No, that was Floyd's game plan. Although Conor landed more shots in the first round, Floyd landed a higher percentage of his shots... hence the better boxer!

Who knows what might happen if Floyd went all out for the first round!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

The Nal wrote: »
    I suppose we're into the "define greatness" conversation regarding sport then. I'd always have to have longevity in there when looking at the top top guys.

I'd have to agree. Consistency is everything in sport and you have to be around long enough to be consistent. I'd still have McGregor in there with the greats because MMA by its nature you don't have many contests overall compared to other sports like soccer or rugby and if you're smart you get out as quick as you can and save your brain. Staying around and fighting into your late 30s is asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Floyds game plan was to take a few clean punches off Conor ha good one. The same Floyd who made a career and millions by not getting hit.

I've no doubt the plan was to let Conor blow his load in the early rounds, but McGregor boxed the ears off him for 3 rounds, and no way did Floyd plan on getting outboxed in round 8!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Floyds game plan was to take a few clean punches off Conor ha good one. The same Floyd who made a career and millions by not getting hit.

I've no doubt the plan was to let Conor blow his load in the early rounds, but McGregor boxed the ears off him for 3 rounds, and no way did Floyd plan on getting outboxed in round 8!

And yet the PROFESSIONAL judges, who were sitting ringside, only gave him the first round. Out of interest, how many professional fights have you scored in a professional capacity??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

No, that was Floyd's game plan. Although Conor landed more shots in the first round, Floyd landed a higher percentage of his shots... hence the better boxer!

Who knows what might happen if Floyd went all out for the first round!

Its obvious what happened in the early rounds is that Conor won them. You don't purposefully give away rounds or get punched in the face. When Conor is fresh the distance he can keep + his reaction speed + countering is too much for anyone his size including mayweather. But he really needs to be able to maintain it for longer along with drastically improving how he punches in close range and stop getting backed up so easily once he starts to tire. Also needs to work on staying mentally positive when things start to not go his way... you can tell he gets negative easily, his confidence seems to quickly goes from 100 to 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Let it go man . The fight ended with Floyd unloading at will on a defenceless man . Time to move on .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

spix wrote: »
    Also needs to work on staying mentally positive when things start to not go his way... you can tell he gets negative easily, his confidence seems to quickly goes from 100 to 0.
    I wouldn't get ahead of yourself with that assumption. I'm sure he's contemplated such scenarios often enough.

What I'm saying, is that Floyd might have slowed down so that he could read Conor's style in the 1st rounds. I'll also admit, that if he didn't do this, he mightn't have out-boxed Conor as easily in later rounds.

• Advertisement

Let it go man . The fight ended with Floyd unloading at will on a defenceless man . Time to move on .

I never said he didn't. You have a lot more post on these threads than me after the fight..

And yet the PROFESSIONAL judges, who were sitting ringside, only gave him the first round. Out of interest, how many professional fights have you scored in a professional capacity??

Yeah, because PROFESSIONAL judges never get it wrong.. proffesional boxing judges at that. Tell me what Floyd did to win round 2 an 3? He threw nothing and got hit plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

One of the professional judges gave Conor the first three I thought

Edit
    Yeah Dave moreiti did

Eddie edit

He has been accused of being pro floyd before so for his to give Conor three means Conor deserve three

Tigger wrote:
    One of the professional judges gave Conor the first three I thought

He did indeed. The only judge with eyes it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

You're making an extremely weird implication that because someone is "professional" (in CAPS no less) that they are therefore infallible and error-free. In reality there are professionals in every walk of life who make mistakes, especially when their profession is subjective in nature, and some people in life are just plain corrupt!

For the record, one judge gave Conor 3 rounds, two judges gave him 1 round. The judge who gave Conor all 3 rounds is widely regarded as the best judge in professional boxing - Dave Moretti. The two who awarded Conor just one round were Burt Clements and Guido Cavalleri - Clements was the judge who made a huge mistake in the Pacquiao-Marquez fight, he scored it 113-113 yet failed to award Pacman a mandatory 10-6 round for 3 knockdowns and Cavalleri is no stranger to controversy himself.

The scorecards for the major publications for May-Mac going into the 9th:

MMA Fighting: 77-75 Conor
    Sports Illustrated: 76-76
    USA Today: 76-76
    Showtime: 76-76
    LA Times: 76-76
    CBS: 76-76
    Compubox (statistically): 76-76
    Associated Press: 77-75 Mayweather.

77-75 Conor is generous, 76-76 or 77-75 Mayweather are fair scorecards. The first 3 rounds are relatively easy to score - at worst you end up with 2-1 to Conor if you're feeling generous that Floyd stole the 3rd late on. The 4th round is statistically level by compubox stats so it's a coin-toss whether you reward Conor for forward pressure or reward Floyd for accuracy.

Rounds 5, 6, 8 are close enough statistically but the general feel of the fight was Mayweather coming on strong. In fact there's only 3 rounds in the entire fight impossible to argue over - rounds 1, 9 and 10 - the rest are all debatable to varying degrees. Anybody giving round 1 to Floyd is on a wind-up, ditto anyone awarding Conor the 9th.

Either way - the argument that because Judge(s) are professional that they automatically get it correct or that lack of qualifications as a judge somehow invalidates contradictory opinions is mental. Ross Pearson v Diego Sanchez is a fight you could show to 100 fans with no expert training in judging and 100/100 people will say Pearson won it comfortably 30-27, yet the "Professional" judges gave a split decision to Sanchez.

Judges make mistakes and "robberies" happen in combat sports.

As for Georgia v Ireland, none of us can dispute the 1-1 result but we don't need to be a professional assistant referee to see if he got an offside call badly wrong. We just need a basic understanding of the rules and a set of eyes for that.

Asking someone for their qualifications as a judge to validate their opinion is among the most bonkers thing I've ever read on this forum and completely misses the point. If we all needed a professional qualification to comment on sports, there'd be nobody in here talking about anything.

Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭noc1980

I've seen boxing 'purists' claim Floyd won rds 2 & 3 because he didn't throw many shots while Conor was too busy. The excuses for an MMA guy's success in the ring on just a 10 week crash course in the sweet science are an enjoyable read.

They are crushed that Floyd couldn't touch him until he gassed and to be fair could you blame them? Imagine Randy Couture needing James Toney to exhaust himself before even attempting to take him down?

The best representative of one sport shouldn't need to spend any amount of time wearing down their rookie opponent before showcasing their technical superiority.

The facts are Floyd couldn't deal with Conor's awkwardness and length until he became immobile and sorry Floyd apologists but eating 100+ shots isn't "carrying" your opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

noc1980 wrote: »
    I've seen boxing 'purists' claim Floyd won rds 2 & 3 because he didn't throw many shots while Conor was too busy. The excuses for an MMA guy's success in the ring on just a 10 week crash course in the sweet science are an enjoyable read.

They are crushed that Floyd couldn't touch him until he gassed and to be fair could you blame them? Imagine Randy Couture needing James Toney to exhaust himself before even attempting to take him down?

The best representative of one sport shouldn't need to spend any amount of time wearing down their rookie opponent before showcasing their technical superiority.

The facts are Floyd couldn't deal with Conor's awkwardness and length until he became immobile and sorry Floyd apologists but eating 100+ shots isn't "carrying" your opponent.

As a boxing purist:P I am not ready to even argue against this......wtf!

I'll move the goalsposts instead and say had it been Canelo in there Conor gets taken out in one rd!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

walshb wrote: »
    As a boxing purist:P I am not ready to even argue against this......wtf!

I'll move the goalsposts instead and say had it been Canelo in there Conor gets taken out in one rd!:)

Thats the same argument MMA fans made about Conor taking out FM in the 1st round.

Rewatched the fight just now.. mcgregor had alot of good ideas but didn't work as effective as they could have like the stance switch left hook. It seems to me mcgregor often falls just short on his punches as he likes to stay as far away from his opponent as possible... but it worked against him alot in this fight. He often missed punches he would have landed if he would just commit a bit more to it. He's got a good chin so should commit more especially in boxing, in mma its understandable.

Rewatched the fight just now.. mcgregor had alot of good ideas but didn't work as effective as they could have like the stance switch left hook. It seems to me mcgregor often falls just short on his punches as he likes to stay as far away from his opponent as possible... but it worked against him alot in this fight. He often missed punches he would have landed if he would just commit a bit more to it. He's got a good chin so should commit more especially in boxing, in mma its understandable.

The biggest thing that worked against Conor was Floyd not throwing punches until Conor started tiring. I genuinely believe Conor's timing on his counters and his reaction slips (when he's fresh) are elite level - and the 2 best punches he landed on Floyd were counters that came from slipping a punch. Even then, the glove size made a difference to his timing because that uppercut would have landed on the chin in UFC gloves (not the upper chest), likewise the counter left-hook he timed perfectly.

I've said it before, but name a time Conor dropped an opponent standing in front of him? If you go down the list of people he has dropped, they were all either exploding towards him (Buchinger/Brimage/Aldo/Alvarez/Diaz) or circling away from him (Siver, Brandao, Poirier, Mendes, Diaz). The only times Conor has dropped an opponent just standing in front of him (& not throwing punches) was when he dropped Eddie and Nate but both times the lads were on wobbly feet after being dropped multiple times. When Floyd did throw, he gave Conor his best openings and even though they landed clean, he didn't land accurately enough partly due to glove size/weight.

When all is said and done, you have to congratulate Floyd and his camp for treating Conor with respect and doing their homework. You've also got to say Floyd Sr's corner advice was spot on. He gets a lot of grief for being punch-drunk but his experience in the corner showed big time - they came up with a solid strategy to win the fight and executed it. The strategy Conor's team came up with was intriguing, a lot of planning went into it but in the end it was slightly one-dimensional because they couldn't adjust to Floyd's forward pressure.

• Advertisement

The biggest thing that worked against Conor was Floyd not throwing punches until Conor started tiring. I genuinely believe Conor's timing on his counters and his reaction slips (when he's fresh) are elite level - and the 2 best punches he landed on Floyd were counters that came from slipping a punch. Even then, the glove size made a difference to his timing because that uppercut would have landed on the chin in UFC gloves (not the upper chest), likewise the counter left-hook he timed perfectly.

I've said it before, but name a time Conor dropped an opponent standing in front of him? If you go down the list of people he has dropped, they were all either exploding towards him (Buchinger/Brimage/Aldo/Alvarez/Diaz) or circling away from him (Siver, Brandao, Poirier, Mendes, Diaz). The only times Conor has dropped an opponent just standing in front of him (& not throwing punches) was when he dropped Eddie and Nate but both times the lads were on wobbly feet after being dropped multiple times. When Floyd did throw, he gave Conor his best openings and even though they landed clean, he didn't land accurately enough partly due to glove size/weight.

When all is said and done, you have to congratulate Floyd and his camp for treating Conor with respect and doing their homework. You've also got to say Floyd Sr's corner advice was spot on. He gets a lot of grief for being punch-drunk but his experience in the corner showed big time - they came up with a solid strategy to win the fight and executed it. The strategy Conor's team came up with was intriguing, a lot of planning went into it but in the end it was slightly one-dimensional because they couldn't adjust to Floyd's forward pressure.

It's not just about dropping them...there's just so many times in that fight Conor missed by few mm to landing a decent punch because of how over cautious he was being, instead of moving his feet in and punching he tries to lean in from where he is to barely land a punch but the slightest movement from floyd made it miss, but it could've missed anyway by how precise he was trying to be. Obviously the ko punch they had planned was the uppercut, would've liked to see some more variation on the counter instead of always the uppercut right hook.

Conor's weakness is obviously being walked down and how he fights when that happens, the camp surely knows this for a long time. I've seen him being walked down by an opponent with their hands up in alot of random footage in the past (and he looked just as uncomfortable as he did against mayweather) Even chris van heerden brought it up too about their sparring, saying how surprised he was at how easily he could walk down conor even though he was the bigger man. The worrying thing is that was 1.5years ago. If the camp aren't putting serious effort into fixing that then maybe they really are being yes men like paulie claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

And yet the PROFESSIONAL judges, who were sitting ringside, only gave him the first round....

All that proves is that they were putting a contingency plan in place just in case McGregor managed to outscore Floyd.

Those two judges scorecards are a disgrace and if you can't see that then you must be blind.

Interestingly, just before this fight Berto said (about 1m in) about his own fight with Mayweather that he felt that in order to win he was going to have to knock him out (given how much control he has in boxing).

All that proves is that they were putting a contingency plan in place just in case McGregor managed to outscore Floyd.

Those two judges scorecards are a disgrace and if you can't see that then you must be blind.

Yeah its obvious if they could even remotely justify giving a round to floyd then thats what they were going to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I need to watch this fight again somehow I didn't notice how Conor dominated flyod and clearly won the fight.

Conor bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I need to read this thread again as somehow I didn't notice where users had said McGregor dominated flyod and clearly won the fight.

If the camp aren't putting serious effort into fixing that then maybe they really are being yes men like paulie claims.

I think it's an amazing thing Conor is doing for his friends. He has given so many of them jobs and is bending over backwards to help them.

But there has to be question marks over their involvement. There were no cheerleading sections for the Siver fight camp, the Mendes camp, the Aldo camp... as Conor has got richer he has been able to employ more and more of his pals but I'm not seeing the benefits of having them so closely involved in training sessions.

What expertise does Gerry Byrne, Lee Dunphy, Derek Dunphy, Keith Joyce, etc bring when it comes to cardio, nutrition, striking, grappling? The answer is clearly zero yet they are all heavily involved in his training sessions, basically as moral support and encouragement. By all means, help his mates and stay loyal but I'm sure there's a hundred things he could employ them to do that they'd be good at beyond screaming encouragement for him to work harder.

You'd have to question if the moral support is a good thing because he was (arguably) doing better without it. Conor is a fan of the Rocky movies and said himself he wasn't a fan of the dancing monkey gym it became in Rocky 4 with all the hangers-on.... but facing facts he has fallen into the same trap.

He shouldn't and doesn't need encouragement to run farther, row faster, cycle longer. He should listen to his own advice and strip back the entire camp to experts only. John Kavanagh, Owen Roddy, Sergey Pikulskiy, the Irish Strength Institute etc. they're all expert level coaches with things of value to contribute.

If you're not a black belt in BJJ, Judo or an elite level wrestler, you've no business being anywhere near his camp. If I was his Head Coach I'd be telling them all to clear off. The time to cheer Conor on is fight night, it's frankly embarrassing to be cheering him on taking an ice bath.

I think it's an amazing thing Conor is doing for his friends. He has given so many of them jobs and is bending over backwards to help them.

But there has to be question marks over their involvement. There were no cheerleading sections for the Siver fight camp, the Mendes camp, the Aldo camp... as Conor has got richer he has been able to employ more and more of his pals but I'm not seeing the benefits of having them so closely involved in training sessions.

What expertise does Gerry Byrne, Lee Dunphy, Derek Dunphy, Keith Joyce, etc bring when it comes to cardio, nutrition, striking, grappling? The answer is clearly zero yet they are all heavily involved in his training sessions, basically as moral support and encouragement. By all means, help his mates and stay loyal but I'm sure there's a hundred things he could employ them to do that they'd be good at beyond screaming encouragement for him to work harder.

You'd have to question if the moral support is a good thing because he was (arguably) doing better without it. Conor is a fan of the Rocky movies and said himself he wasn't a fan of the dancing monkey gym it became in Rocky 4 with all the hangers-on.... but facing facts he has fallen into the same trap.

He shouldn't and doesn't need encouragement to run farther, row faster, cycle longer. He should listen to his own advice and strip back the entire camp to experts only. John Kavanagh, Owen Roddy, Sergey Pikulskiy, the Irish Strength Institute etc. they're all expert level coaches with things of value to contribute.

If you're not a black belt in BJJ, Judo or an elite level wrestler, you've no business being anywhere near his camp. If I was his Head Coach I'd be telling them all to clear off. The time to cheer Conor on is fight night, it's frankly embarrassing to be cheering him on taking an ice bath.

I'd also be very curious how Conor would improve with some outside eyes giving advice. Sometimes you just outside advice to see things you might be missing and give you new ideas. When you're as involved as john kavnagh and owen roddy have been and for so long you surely get to a stage where you've reached a plateau and you're judgement may get a bit clouded on what does or doesn't need working on. Why are you waiting until after it costs him a fight until you work on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Well in fairness he brought in Dillon Danis and Ido Portal as outside voices to improve his movement and BJJ. He and JK are on record as saying they didnt feel like they needed someone to come in and teach him how to throw a punch

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Well in fairness he brought in Dillon Danis and Ido Portal as outside voices to improve his movement and BJJ. He and JK are on record as saying they didnt feel like they needed someone to come in and teach him how to throw a punch

Think he said they didn't need someone to each him how to throw a jab...but his punching technique close range is shockingly bad, they look more like short weak slaps than anything that could do damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

noc1980 wrote: »

Wow, well over a week since the fight and its still going on...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement