Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

spix wrote: »
    Think he said they didn't need someone to each him how to throw a jab...but his punching technique close range is shockingly bad, they look more like short weak slaps than anything that could do damage.

Short punches are fairly useless in MMA, especially for a range fighter like Conor. If he gets in close it's elbows or knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor does bring people in for diff looks too, brought in Wallace for Diaz along with his boxing coach, used Johnny Dargan for Siver for Tae Kwon Do. He's def not the type to bring in new full time coaches though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Lukker- wrote: »
    Short punches are fairly useless in MMA, especially for a range fighter like Conor. If he gets in close it's elbows or knees.
    They're not useless at all, theres lots of finishes with close range punches in MMA and besides, elbows and knees are when you're practically head to head but there's still a close range punching distance where you can't use knees and elbows.

Diaz managed to overwhelm Conor by walking forward with his hands up in MMA. Saw Conor throwing some of the same weak looking punches he done against Mayweather. When someone is walking you down with their hands up, you have to make them pay or you may as well not throw anything at all. And when they're walking you down throwing punches with their chin wide open you also have to make them pay.

Conor had 4-5 rounds to earn mayweathers respect with a good punch but couldn't do anything that would stop him marching forward with his hands up or stop him from throwing thoughtless power punches one after the other. It was because of how he fights under pressure and his punching technique, they were weak arm slaps instead of a properly thrown power punch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Owen Roddy up now on the MMA Hour:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Can someone please ask the boxing lads to head back to the boxing thread please? I've enjoyed all the back and forth but let's leave the oul fight behind now and start looking forward to what lies ahead. I think we are all in agreement that Conor did ok and Floyd deserved to win

• Advertisement

Nate done gone and brought Bruce Lee into now. Trilogy fight gonna be mayhem.
    He punched himself out the same way he lost in the Ufc there was no learning goin on..
    #overpromotion bull**** get off the nuts this the s*** I'm talking about
    Bruce Lee would've never lost like that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYq-PDfn8pv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, because PROFESSIONAL judges never get it wrong.. proffesional boxing judges at that. Tell me what Floyd did to win round 2 an 3? He threw nothing and got hit plenty.

He did enough to win the rounds. That's all that matters.

Look, it's pretty clear that what you're doing is just trying to save some face after having made somewhat of show of yourself earlier in the thread with regards to how well you felt McGregor would do against Floyd...............
    The only time i can see McGregor laying a glove on Mayweather is when the ref tells them to touch gloves before the first round starts.

We get it, you're embarrassed, don't blame you, but it's pointless trying to argue that Conor didn't win the first three rounds as even Stevie Wonder could see he did and quite comprehensively so too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

"You're tiring him out he's like McGregor he's got no legs left" :pac: :pac:

There's a few gems in this.

https://twitter.com/jonnohopkins/status/905119363061211142

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He did enough to win the rounds. That's all that matters.

Exactly. He didn't win any of the first 3. "He did enough" doesn't cut it. Toodles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Nate done gone and brought Bruce Lee into now. Trilogy fight gonna be mayhem.

The worrying part of that post is I can't find much fault with it!

Here's what JK said last October:

"I don’t mind errors, my fighters don’t mind errors, I don’t mind mistakes, but what really annoys me is repeating them."

Well, being objective, he should be slightly annoyed. It seems to me Conor's instinctive response to forward pressure is to slightly panic and throw more punches to create space and back his opponent up. This sudden explosion of output is definitely a factor in him tiring.

Intuitively, one solution to this problem is to simply allow the forward pressure to come. Instead of panicking and increasing his punches from 39 to 65 a round to try get them backing up, maybe one answer is to simply allow his opponents to walk him down.

He could do that in many ways. He could practice countless hours defending along the fence against forward pressure using the high peek-a-boo guard. He could practice framing a lot better than he did the other week - Floyd used sublime frames at times whereas Conor instinctively went to punch when it was more advisable to just stick his forearm across Floyd's neck and get him into a clinch.

Maybe I'm in a minority but I really don't want to see the Nate trilogy right now, it's a pretty bad idea. Conor's star has never been bigger; if he fights Nate and loses, it's not a disaster but it'd be back-to-back defeats at the peak of his powers and there's not a lot of upside to winning the contest other than settling the rivalry.

I'd much prefer they kept that fight back for 2019 and see Conor involved in some fresh match-ups. It would make sense timing wise with Woodley not booked to go for the welterweight strap because Ferguson-Lee are tied up and it would also make sense stylistically, given the fact Woodley is basically just a bigger, taller, better version of Chad and Eddie - great wrestler with an overhand.

Khabib is one bad weight cut away from a tragedy so his name shouldn't even be in the picture. It would be borderline criminal to allow Khabib to try make 155lbs for his next fight, he should be forced to followed CSAC guidelines where he has to fight a catchweight of 160lbs first to prove he can make the weight in a healthy, controlled manner before trying 155lb again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,575 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Woodley fight makes no sense now.
    It would mean getting stripped of the LW title.

Not sure why you think Ferguson and Lee are tied up. UFC 216 is exactly 12 weeks before The NYE card. The timing works out perfectly for the 216 winner to have a few weeks off and an 8-10 week camp.

Leaving McGregor with a 4-6 week to get his grappling flowing again. Then a full camp before NYE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

STFU, Nate. Bruce Lee would have lost in rd 1...

Hard to know what route they take next with McGregor but for sure they had something planned with regards to Zuffa Boxing and I think that's what Conor was saying sorry about on All Access..... as him losing scuppered whatever it was they had planned, imo.

McGregor winning would not just have elevated him in the boxing world, it would have (in the larger public's eye at least) elevated UFC fighters too (rightly or wrongly) and I think Zuffa boxing was about capitalizing on that. And that may not have just meant a UFC guy fighting a boxer either. Could very well be that they may have planned (or still have plans) for Zuffa Boxing to have two UFC fighters boxing.

In that regard, and with Conor appearing to think he now owes Dana something for supporting the Mayweather bout, they could even now make the Nate Trilogy fight the first ever Zuffa Boxing bout... appeases Nate by giving him a big pay day but little risk to the UFC as there would be no danger of their golden goose no longer being the 155 champ).

Guess it all depends on how the conglomerate view 'Zuffa Boxing' as they might not be too supportive of Dana's future boxing promoting endeavours but then if that were the case would they have allowed him to wear all those t-shirts on the MayMac world tour and even shoehorn them into an episode of All Access. I'm not sure they would have and so it would appear as if they are on board at some level.

I do think McGregor's next fight will absolutely be a UFC fight though as I feel that he will have made some promises behind the scenes to come right back win, lose or draw the MayMac bout but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he is back in the boxing ring for the fight after that. Against who, fcuk knows but it could very well be Horn or Malignaggi with Zuffa Boxing co-promoting alongside McGregor promotions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Look, it's pretty clear that what you're doing is just trying to save some face after having made somewhat of show of yourself earlier in the thread with regards to how well you felt McGregor would do against Floyd...............

We get it, you're embarrassed, don't blame you, but it's pointless trying to argue that Conor didn't win the first three rounds as even Stevie Wonder could see he did and quite comprehensively so too.

Was Stevie ringside judging the fight??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

John and Owen Roddy both openly saying Diaz 3 is the fight they'd prefer next. Crazy as that's probably the toughest fight he could pick. I have no interest in it myself, winner of Ferguson v Lee. Let Nate fight someone else.

Imo the Diaz rematch is too soon...if that was to happen 3/4 of his last UFC fights would be against Nate Diaz. Doesn't do alot for Conor the competitor. I think his camp sees it as the safest fight, Diaz is not much of a threat power + skill wise as long as mcgregor doesn't gas out. They've fought him twice already so that makes things easier, fighting someone new will bring alot more challenges, not wanting to take them on isn't a great sign. I got a feeling mcgregor is in this for the money now instead of improving and proving himself. You obviously can't blame him though.

And if it does happen I hope mcgregors team has their thinking hat on. If its true what they say about not predicting mayweather would walk conor down with his hands up then they need to get their act together because you think mayweather hasn't seen how bad he fought under pressure in past fights and the comments from sparring partners about it? Honest truth and don't want to sound like a hater but I left a message on john kavnaghs ig when fight was announced that you got to improve how conor fights under forward pressure for this fight...can't remember the full thing but he deleted it anyway and rightfully doesn't take advice from random people, but his weaknesses are so obvious I just felt I had to say something. I don't believe what the camp says about not predicting or preparing for it, but they're clearly not improving it enough and needs an outside trainer who can help him more.

I'd expect Diaz to come out right away with his hands up and not give Conor any opportunity to counter (nick diaz mentioned this months ago in an interview, how he'd have told nate to not throw at all, walk him down with his hands up). All of Conors success in the rematch was from countering Diazs jab. But what is he going this time if a bigger man walks him down from the opening bell with his hands up. He's not going to take him down. He has to seriously improve how he fights under forward pressure and be able to throw proper punches or else its not going to end well.

One of the sparring partners for mayweather in Dublin..he showed up in one picture then never seen again. Guess they should have kept him.
    Jpx2zMt.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

One of the sparring partners for mayweather in Dublin..he showed up in one picture then never seen again. Guess they should have kept him.
    Jpx2zMt.png

Who's that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hard to know what route they take next with McGregor but for sure they had something planned with regards to Zuffa Boxing and I think that's what Conor was saying sorry about on All Access..... as him losing scuppered whatever it was they had planned, imo.

McGregor winning would not just have elevated him in the boxing world, it would have (in the larger public's eye at least) elevated UFC fighters too (rightly or wrongly) and I think Zuffa boxing was about capitalizing on that. And that may not have just meant a UFC guy fighting a boxer either. Could very well be that they may have planned (or still have plans) for Zuffa Boxing to have two UFC fighters boxing.

In that regard, and with Conor appearing to think he now owes Dana something for supporting the Mayweather bout, they could even now make the Nate Trilogy fight the first ever Zuffa Boxing bout... appeases Nate by giving him a big pay day but little risk to the UFC as there would be no danger of their golden goose no longer being the 155 champ).

Guess it all depends on how the conglomerate view 'Zuffa Boxing' as they might not be too supportive of Dana's future boxing promoting endeavours but then if that were the case would they have allowed him to wear all those t-shirts on the MayMac world tour and even shoehorn them into an episode of All Access. I'm not sure they would have and so it would appear as if they are on board at some level.

I do think McGregor's next fight will absolutely be a UFC fight though as I feel that he will have made some promises behind the scenes to come right back win, lose or draw the MayMac bout but I wouldn't at all be surprised if he is back in the boxing ring for the fight after that. Against who, fcuk knows but it could very well be Horn or Malignaggi with Zuffa Boxing co-promoting alongside McGregor promotions.

With Aldo bleating on about taking up boxing, could we see McGregor Aldo 2 in a Queensbury rules match up?

Who's that now?

Irish boxer Jay Byrne if I recall correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

With Aldo bleating on about taking up boxing, could we see McGregor Aldo 2 in a Queensbury rules match up?

Would anyone want to see this though rather than in an Octagon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Read that and it kinda fell flat for me. Seems they were completely without a plan B and to say that they hadn't figured on budgeting energy for 12 rounds seems plain amateur.

I don't see the appeal of another Nate fight so soon. Is he just planning to fight Nate over and over again for the rest of his career?

Whatever about coming back and doing a third fight in a few years. It's pretty obvious they want that fight because it's a known quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

yeah we've seen both ways that fight can go. He needs a new challenge. If Khabib finally ended up fighting Tony and beating him then Conor v Khabib would've been pretty big.

yeah we've seen both ways that fight can go. He needs a new challenge. If Khabib finally ended up fighting Tony and beating him then Conor v Khabib would've been pretty big.

But Nate is relatively low risk.. not very dangerous with his hands even though people like to say how good a boxer he is. Not very skilled over all, just tough. But it would likely pay the most.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Read that and it kinda fell flat for me. Seems they were completely without a plan B and to say that they hadn't figured on budgeting energy for 12 rounds seems plain amateur.

When you think about it... what kind of actual boxing experience does john kavnagh or owen roddy have? Zilch. I'm sure they tried their best but the experience and knowledge just isn't there to help conor beat someone like mayweather if it starts to drag out.
    That he decided to go down that route genuinely surprised me. It’s an approach I’ve seen him use extremely rarely.

It's called watching your opponents fights and finding their painfully obvious weakness, then exploiting it. Nothing surprising in it. I'm sure John has seen lots of sparring partners find that weakness too and start walking conor down, to not expect mayweather to do it is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

stop fights a little quicker than mma, he thinks it was stopped a bit early so. delusional

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

But Nate is relatively low risk.. not very dangerous with his hands even though people like to say how good a boxer he is. Not very skilled over all, just tough. But it would likely pay the most.

Yep it's the safest fight he can take at the moment. He's just coming off a loss which on it's own is easy to look past but since he's supposed to be a champ and should logically be fighting a true contender next, there is always the risk of another loss which would damage the brand. Easier to refight a straightforward guy he's already figured out and beaten and dress it up as another money fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

So gate was $55m not the hyped up numbers.

Gonna say that 6.5m from Dana was hype too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement