Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How can ye say the only man to beat him in the ufc and also have a close 5 round war with, is his easiest fight. Nate Mate and possibly khabib are the only two lightweight that can trouble Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

How can ye say the only man to beat him in the ufc and also have a close 5 round war with, is his easiest fight. Nate Mate and possibly khabib are the only two lightweight that can trouble Conor.

When Conors fighting Nate the battle is not letting himself get tired. Khabib, ferugson, lee and alot of other lightweights would pose many other threats.

spix wrote:
    When Conors fighting Nate the battle is not letting himself get tired. Khabib, ferugson, lee and alot of other lightweights would pose many other threats.

Kevin Lee pose Conor more of a threat than Nate Diaz?? Are you one of those boxing blow ins too?

Kevin Lee pose Conor more of a threat than Nate Diaz?? Are you one of those boxing blow ins too?

Kevin Lee is much physically stronger than Diaz and just overall more dangerous imo. Same with Khabib. Ferguson brings alot of unknowns, has Conor even ever had someone throw a spinning backfist at him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Kevin Lee is a bum wrestler with an overhand right to coin somebodys phrase, would be unconscious in about 3 minutes in a cage with Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

spix wrote: »
    But Nate is relatively low risk..

Low risk shouldn't be the motivator for next opponent though. Conor and his team keep saying they're always looking for the next challenge, or that they're always putting themselves in uncomfortable situations in order to grow.

Fighting Nate the first time was a risky very short notice change of opponent, and fighting him the second time was in order to right a massive upset loss. Fighting him a third time so soon offers little challenge or discomfort or even excitement compared to others in the LW division. Can they not see that a lot of fans probably also see it this way? I see the fight v Nate as a perfect retirement fight.

Though I am aware an opponent of Conor's should have some kind of buzz behind them too and no one other than Nate and Khabib (well, Khabib 10 months ago) really offer that right now. I'd be happy to see the winner of Tony vs Lee go on some calling out tirade in the post-fight speech that goes a bit viral like Khabib did but I doubt as much people will be watching that fight as were watching UFC 205 when Khabib fought last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Nate is a very dangerous fight clearly but also clearly the most lucrative.

Gamebred wrote: »
    Kevin Lee is a bum wrestler with an overhand right to coin somebodys phrase, would be unconscious in about 3 minutes in a cage with Conor.

Could be true, but the only time Conor has fought someone bigger than him, he lost. Alvarez was 155 but so short. Most 155ers will have physical advantages on Conor and we haven't seen enough of him against bigger guys to say he can handle them. Definitely needs to put serious effort into fixing his flaws before taking on anyone else besides Diaz.

Could be true, but the only time Conor has fought someone bigger than him, he lost. Alvarez was 155 but so short. Most 155ers will have physical advantages on Conor and we haven't seen enough of him against bigger guys to say he can handle them. Definitely needs to put serious effort into fixing his flaws before taking on anyone else besides Diaz.

Alvarez was going to wrestle the **** out of him according to a lot of people, some nova unaoi nobody ko'd Lee stiff, hes a good young fighter but even Ferguson is going to expose him for mediocre at this stage,

Ferguson McGregor is an epic knock similar to Diaz zombie like chin but kicks and checks kick savage cardio too thats the fight to make or Woodley.

spix wrote:
    Kevin Lee is much physically stronger than Diaz and just overall more dangerous imo. Same with Khabib. Ferguson brings alot of unknowns, has Conor even ever had someone throw a spinning backfist at him?

How is he "physically stronger" ? More muscular is it? He is completely undeserving of the interim title shot, and had he not got this fight, you would not in a million years be mentioning him beating McGregor.

Wake up man

• Advertisement

How is he "physically stronger" ? More muscular is it? He is completely undeserving of the interim title shot, and had he not got this fight, you would not in a million years be mentioning him beating McGregor.

Wake up man

Every proven fighter is dangerous especially when they got physical advantages on you.

Conor has a very specific skill set and he's very good at what he does has but he really does need to improve his weaknesses before I could say he'd have an easy fight with anyone bigger than him. His gas tank, punching technique, confidence in letting his hands go when he should (outside of counters) ability to deal with forward pressure all need working on.

And that's before we hit the canvas....I don't give Conor much hope against a heavier fighter with more proven ground skills if it goes there. From what I've seen in his fights and random training footage he has a tendency to over think things, something he does on his feet at times as well, against someone who's comfortable on the ground he's not going to have success and will always be 1 step behind due to his hesitation and overthinking.

Outside of Diaz I think the best fight for Conor is actually Khabib. Conor would just need to keep his range and wait for a counter or time a knee as Khabib shoots in. If Khabib got a hold of him I think Conor could prevent the takedown better than his past opponents as he has a strong base.

This isn't boxing lad! His punching seems to have worked quite well for him so far in MMA.

You'd swear everyone he faught was a midget.

Saying Conor has bad punchs is like saying Khabibs a bad wrestler. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Are you one of those boxing blow ins too?

You joined the forum in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Every proven fighter is dangerous especially when they got physical advantages on you.

Conor has a very specific skill set and he's very good at what he does has but he really does need to improve his weaknesses before I could say he'd have an easy fight with anyone bigger than him. His gas tank, punching technique, confidence in letting his hands go when he should (outside of counters) ability to deal with forward pressure all need working on.

And that's before we hit the canvas....I don't give Conor much hope against a heavier fighter with more proven ground skills if it goes there. From what I've seen in his fights and random training footage he has a tendency to over think things, something he does on his feet at times as well, against someone who's comfortable on the ground he's not going to have success and will always be 1 step behind due to his hesitation and overthinking.

Outside of Diaz I think the best fight for Conor is actually Khabib. Conor would just need to keep his range and wait for a counter or time a knee as Khabib shoots in. If Khabib got a hold of him I think Conor could prevent the takedown better than his past opponents as he has a strong base.

What's wrong with his punching technique with regards to MMA?

You joined the forum in April.

Well done? I signed up to the site around that time too

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

everlast75 wrote: »
    Read that and it kinda fell flat for me. Seems they were completely without a plan B and to say that they hadn't figured on budgeting energy for 12 rounds seems plain amateur.

It's a strange article and kinda shows that they didn't know what they were doing.

Saying Conor has bad punchs is like saying Khabibs a bad wrestler. How do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

He has good countering and straight punches. But when it goes from a technical slow paced distance fight to high intensity, high volume in close range, all Conors got is weak arm punches. No technique, power or snap in them at all.

spix wrote:
    He has good countering and straight punches. But when it goes from a technical slow paced distance fight to high intensity, high volume in close range, all Conors got is weak arm punches. No technique, power or snap in them at all.

I'm a boxing match.. he has destroyed every one he has faced in ufc with punches. Even the loss to Nate, he destroyed him with punches.

https://twitter.com/lucas_bourdon/status/900101915463364608

Some epic pre fight analysis from JK...

• Advertisement

I'm a boxing match.. he has destroyed every one he has faced in ufc with punches. Even the loss to Nate, he destroyed him with punches.

He destroyed his face with counters.

You definitely need the ability to throw good punches in all situations in mma...I saw that weakness in his punching before mayweather but the mayweather fight just confirmed its something they seriously need to improve, he was in dire situations in the mayweather fight but still didn't manage to throw anything meaningful back for majority of the middle/late rounds.

If Conors in a situation in an mma fight where hes against the cage with someone who's comfortable letting their hands go, he's screwed. If Diaz was a more powerful puncher Conor would've got ko'd in round 3 of their 2nd fight because what Conor throws back in close range is not going make someone hesitant in throwing their own.

Gamebred wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/lucas_bourdon/status/900101915463364608

Some epic pre fight analysis from JK...

That was mind games. I think John knows how bad Conor fights when he's being pressured and was hoping by saying something like that it would put floyd off doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

everlast75 wrote: »
    Read that and it kinda fell flat for me. Seems they were completely without a plan B and to say that they hadn't figured on budgeting energy for 12 rounds seems plain amateur.

Yep it read as kind of naive and in shock that Floyd would hang back, conserve energy and work out his game plan as if Floyd has never done that before. I kind of think the sheen has come off this fight, before Floyd wasn't good enough now they are humbled by the experience, I'm kind of sick of the script flips. They didn't need experts they knew best. Conor's gas tank failed yet again in supporting his output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's a strange article and kinda shows that they didn't know what they were doing.

It's even more strange when you consider the following:

JK, September 5th post-fight:

"But I think it was in the fourth or fifth round when Floyd switched styles and he almost took the Nate Diaz approach of just walking forward and covering up. Conor called him “a Mexican”, which was a reference to the style of boxing. It’s even more effective in boxing than it is in MMA because you can catch more of your opponent’s shots on the bigger gloves. That he decided to go down that route genuinely surprised me. It’s an approach I’ve seen him use extremely rarely.""

Floyd, July 26th pre-fight:

"With other fighters, it plays out two ways when you’re facing Floyd Mayweather. You’ve got some guys that play it safe. You’ve got some guys like Maidana that go straight for the kill.

"He’s going to come out and go for the kill like Mayweather-Maidana I. He’s going to come out and go for the kill. He’s a heavy hitter, so I’ve got to be cautious.

"Remember, I’m older, so I can’t move like I used to move, so it’s basically going to be a toe-to-toe battle.""

Nate Jones, Floyd's Coach, pre-fight:

"We'll burn the gas out of him early. Let him come to us, make it a tough fight for him. We're not going to box him, we're going to fight him"

It's beyond baffling to me that John is claiming they were surprised and not ready for what transpired. Floyd and Nate Jones might as well have taken a full page ad out on the front page of the Indo because they were completely transparent in their intentions. They were going to let Conor be aggressive early and then walk him down toe-to-toe in the pocket.

Reading that article from John read to me like someone shocked that a serial killer committed another murder after declaring his intention was to kill again.

It just seems crazy to me that Floyd almost word-for-word laid out his gameplan to the world and the article JK wrote is basically saying "ah shur it took us by surprise so it did, we had no idea that was coming!".

Perplexing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,575 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What actually perplexing is people taking any comments in the media at face value.

I think John said a number of years ago that Floyd was his favourite fight to watch. That was before the MayMac circus. Believing a recent quote where he says "I don't know much about Floyd is just silly"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mayweather Camp not done with putting a beating on Team McGregor just yet it seems.

Seems Dashon was only offered the fight two days ago too................. did he say something wrong in the MayMac build up? :p

https://twitter.com/MayweatherPromo/status/905601170609078272

Jeez is that right? 22 wins 21 loses? Why did Conor bring in that bum

It's beyond baffling to me that John is claiming they were surprised and not ready for what transpired. Floyd and Nate Jones might as well have taken a full page ad out on the front page of the Indo because they were completely transparent in their intentions. They were going to let Conor be aggressive early and then walk him down toe-to-toe in the pocket.

Reading that article from John read to me like someone shocked that a serial killer committed another murder after declaring his intention was to kill again.

It just seems crazy to me that Floyd almost word-for-word laid out his gameplan to the world and the article JK wrote is basically saying "ah shur it took us by surprise so it did, we had no idea that was coming!".

Perplexing.

It's classic beginners conundrum. You need to already have very good knowledge about a subject in order to fully appreciate your lack of knowledge in key areas.

Kavanagh simply doesn't know anything boxing. He watched a few videos, saw a few sparring sessions and decided that it's all fairly straightforward. He had the gameplan to beat Floyd Mayweather.

There was absolutely no boxing expertise in that camp. Nobody to run ideas by, nobody to say 'that's probably not going to work', or 'if we do X then Floyd will do Y' etc. The one guy who knew a thing, they sent him running because he challenged the status quo in that camp.

It was hubris and arrogance. Many people pointed it out beforehand.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103849678&postcount=6203

It's classic beginners conundrum. You need to already have very good knowledge about a subject in order to fully appreciate your lack of knowledge in key areas.

Kavanagh simply doesn't know anything boxing. He watched a few videos, saw a few sparring sessions and decided that it's all fairly straightforward. He had the gameplan to beat Floyd Mayweather.

There was absolutely no boxing expertise in that camp. Nobody to run ideas by, nobody to say 'that's probably not going to work', or 'if we do X then Floyd will do Y' etc. The one guy who knew a thing, they sent him running because he challenged the status quo in that camp.

Even though I hate Paulie they should have tried get some actual advice from him. At least he wasn't afraid to to say that Conors arm punches up close don't even do any damage, then you get John Kavnagh saying a few days later how much his punches hurt when he wasn't even trying to punch him. How do you expect Conor to try improve his own techniques if you and all your team mates act like everything is perfect as it is. The team acting like that just isn't doing him any justice. Ignore is bliss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

Its the Dunning Kruger effect, where you know so little, you don't even know what you don't know :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement