Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How is it none of ye lads are training boxing world champions since ye seem to know how to beat Floyd and how kavanagh is clueless..

Him saying he didn't expect Floyd to come out like that is just saving face imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

How is it none of ye lads are training boxing world champions since ye seem to know how to beat Floyd and how kavanagh is clueless..

Him saying he didn't expect Floyd to come out like that is just saving face imo

Well apparently Kavanagh had nothing to learn from Freddie Roche either, not that that bum would know anything about boxing either eh

Well apparently Kavanagh had nothing to learn from Freddie Roche either, not that that bum would know anything about boxing either eh

I can see why they didn't want a boxing coach tho. A boxing coach would have tried to get Conor to get up close, clinch, dirty boxing ect. I'm glad Conor fought the way he did, just didn't have the cardio to do it for 12 rounds or the brains to take a breather in rounds 4 and or 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I don't get the people demanding khabib

He can't make the weight his second last cut he suffered kidney damage for Christ sake.

His last cut his whole body shut down and was hospitalised.

Being practical his only win in recent memory is Michael Johnson...hardly awe inspiring.

He should be down the pecking line.

See his latest IG post of him smoking a big Cuban or Blunt? That and the Columbian marching powder is the reason he's conditioning sucks.

• Advertisement

Ya khabib has fought what, twice, in 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Take it easy on Kavanaagh, guys.

He had the prediction perfect, just Floyd didn't play ball.

Had Floyd went at Conor in rd 1 (which he didn't, he moved away) Conor would have knocked him out.

Had Floyd moved away it would have taken Conor 6 to KO him, but again, Floyd didn't play ball. He actually went at Conor from rds 4 onwards.

It really was a Homer moment for poor JK.....D'oh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Conor McGregor set for PPV interview at O2 Arena in London

Conor McGregor will do a PPV style interview with Dan Hardy later this month at the O2 Arena in London.

After the success of his first pay-per-view interview with Ariel Helwani in Manchester, England, MMA megastar Conor McGregor will head to London to chat with UFC fighter turned commentator, Dan Hardy.

Hosted by Platinum events, ‘An Evening with Conor McGregor - Up Close and Notorious’, will take place at the O2 Arena on September 30, with ticket prices ranging from £60 to £595. £595 roughly translates to $777 at the current exchange rate.

DI-XsoCWsAAVBjB.jpg
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/9/6/16262004/ufc-mma-boxing-news-interview-conor-mcgregor-o2-arena-london-england-dan-hardy

Hey where's Ariel? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/41182239

Looks like it made $55.4m at the gate, May/Pac made $72.2m

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Once again there is so many gullible idiots out there that will buy into that ppv and meet and greet rip off, cares so much for his fans wouldnt take a day off to do one for free for his Irish fans who lined his pockets 5 times over going to Vegas....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Gamebred wrote: »
    Once again there is so many gullible idiots out there that will buy into that ppv and meet and greet rip off, cares so much for his fans wouldnt take a day off to do one for free for his Irish fans who lined his pockets 5 times over going to Vegas....

He's only fleecing the English in fairness!

ardinn wrote: »

Must be favorable tax laws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Why would anyone expect him to? He doesn't beg people to spend their money to go see him. He's very appreciative of it and always gives his thanks afterwards.

It's an odd view. I don't see anyone giving out that they spent loads of money following Brian O'Driscoll with Leinster, Ireland and the Lions but he hasn't put on a free meet and greet for them. Same goes for Roy Keane or Rory McIlroy etc.

Other than a having a sense of self entitlement why would anyone expect him to spend a fortune hiring a venue, paying insurance, organising security and everything else that goes with an event like that just so some fans can go listen to him in person for free.

Although I actually have no clue why he is doing this - at the absolute MAX what can he make from this - 100-150k? - He just made €100m - Every little helps I suppose!

Whelo79 wrote: »

It's an odd view. I don't see anyone giving out that they spent loads of money following Brian O'Driscoll with Leinster, Ireland and the Lions but he hasn't put on a free meet and greet for them. Same goes for Roy Keane or Rory McIlroy etc.

But none of them ev.....

Never mind its grand!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ardinn wrote: »

And giving more business to the lads who ripped off Ariel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭The Rooster

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I don't get the people demanding khabib

I'd just be demanding a date, venue and a UFC fighter!

I thought it would be 217 in MSG, but that's presumably gone now with Bisping v GSP (although if GSP pulls out....)

So most people saying it'll be 219 in Vegas on December 30. Surprised he'd give up his Christmas, but money talks I suppose.

The March 17 scenario is an interesting one. Presumably MSG would be a strong contender for that one. Or maybe Boston if it has a suitable venue?

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Why would anyone expect him to? He doesn't beg people to spend their money to go see him. He's very appreciative of it and always gives his thanks afterwards.

Other than a having a sense of self entitlement why would anyone expect him to spend a fortune hiring a venue, paying insurance, organising security and everything else that goes with an event like that just so some fans can go listen to him in person for free.

Awful comparisons in fairness, he hasnt performed to his own people in years due to no other purpose but tax reasons yet goes on about doing it for his country and his flag every time he fights, its a double standard and quite clear hes milking the Irish angle he doesnt give a rats ass about Irish fans lets be honest hes in it for his own pocket (which I've no problem with but dont try play both sides)

Awful comparisons in fairness, he hasnt performed to his own people in years due to no other purpose but tax reasons yet goes on about doing it for his country and his flag every time he fights, its a double standard and quite clear hes milking the Irish angle he doesnt give a rats ass about Irish fans lets be honest hes in it for his own pocket (which I've no problem with but dont try play both sides)

I don't believe for a second that it's tax reasons why he hasn't fought in Ireland recently. Someone said JK said that, but didnt back it up with a quote, and even if they did I'd say he's been glib. New York has very high tax, so the difference in tax for a Madison Square Garden vs Ireland fight would be negligible (and that assumes he has a tax plan in place where he visits Ireland for less than 182 days a year).

The reason for no Ireland fight is the UFC won't allow it. It would hit their PPV numbers too hard to hold it at 11pm over here. And there is zero chance Croke Park or the Aviva would be allowed host an event at 4am. Possibly unlikely that an indoor event would get permission for that time, but absolutely no chance for major stadium.

The reason for no Ireland fight is the UFC won't allow it. It would hit their PPV numbers too hard to hold it at 11pm over here. And there is zero chance Croke Park or the Aviva would be allowed host an event at 4am. Possibly unlikely that an indoor event would get permission for that time, but absolutely no chance for major stadium.

Again it comes down to money, dont dispute that its probably logistically hard to put on but not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Seems like an excuse to go on a bender without the other half and get well paid for it too .

I'd do the same myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gintonious wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/41182239

Looks like it made $55.4m at the gate, May/Pac made $72.2m

It's typical of Dana to make the 2nd biggest gate of all-time feel like a disappointment due to him overestimating the numbers.

The 3rd highest gate of all time is $20,003,150 so May/Mac doing close to triple at $55.4m is an incredible achievement given they messed up the pricing points. Conor now holds 2 of the top 5 highest gates in combat sports history - May/Mac $55.4m is in 2nd place, UFC 205 $17.7m is in 5th place. The rest of the top 5 is May/Pac, May/Canelo, May/De La Hoya.

Going to the event is one thing because at least you get a dinner and a night out with friends into that mix and let's be honest most of us have spent 50 quid in worse ways in our lives. Charging even a fiver on PPV to listen to an interview is fairly shameless though and a pretty good metaphor for what we witnessed the last couple of months.

Conor would do well to remember a large part of the reason he had his name co-promoting the Floyd event was the legion of fans who traveled over for the Siver, Mendes and Aldo fights. His star exploded in large parts due to the amount of Irish who showed up to set huge gates for those events. If UFC 189 was in front of a half-empty arena with a $2.8 million gate, I highly doubt Conor would be where he is today. It was 189 in particular where the UFC and the State of Nevada realized Conor is big business.

Nobody is forcing anybody to spend 99 cents on emojis or a fiver to listen to an interview on PPV but the people who are likely to do the above are probably much of the same people who spent thousands supporting him for UFC 189/194. Capitalism I suppose but there's definitely a tipping point where fans will start to turn on him if they continue to feel fleeced at every turn.

It feels unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I don't believe for a second that it's tax reasons why he hasn't fought in Ireland recently. Someone said JK said that, but didnt back it up with a quote, and even if they did I'd say he's been glib. New York has very high tax, so the difference in tax for a Madison Square Garden vs Ireland fight would be negligible (and that assumes he has a tax plan in place where he visits Ireland for less than 182 days a year).

https://www.balls.ie/mma/john-kavanagh-outlines-exactly-conor-mcgregor-will-never-fight-croke-park-ufc-371801
    Taxes. Torturous. The fight would generate a nine-figure sum, and in Ireland half of that would go on taxes, while in Las Vesgas, they would only have to pay 10 per cent of tax.

It would also have to be done on Las Vegas time, which is eight hours behind of Ireland, so the event would start at midnight here and finish at 6am. This would cause conflict with local residents and the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I remember hearing that Conor is unlikely to fight in NY again also, for tax purposes. AFAIK a few fighters have said the same who fought on the MSG card.

Lukker- wrote: »
    I remember hearing that Conor is unlikely to fight in NY again also, for tax purposes. AFAIK a few fighters have said the same who fought on the MSG card.

Yeah, that was the point I was making that NY and Ireland should be little different. And Conor raved about NY during and after fightweek. But maybe that was before he got the tax bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Different company

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Different company

Presume totally different directors and money men? you'd hope so at least.

I read somewhere he got a flat fee of £150k for the Manchester one, as well as % of the merch and drink sold at the event.

Suppose its a nice knees up with all expenses paid for him and his mates, and pays the salary for a couple of the yes men in the process.

Floyd does the same (as do many boxers) though at smaller venues and as more of a tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I read somewhere he got a flat fee of £150k for the Manchester one, as well as % of the merch and drink sold at the event.

Suppose its a nice knees up with all expenses paid for him and his mates, and pays the salary for a couple of the yes men in the process.

Floyd does the same (as do many boxers) though at smaller venues and as more of a tour.

There is something extremely random going on with all this and I can't put my finger on what yet. Maybe nothing illegal but lots of strange occurrences.

The crowd that stiffed Ariel on his money were called An Experience With Limited, formerly Olexy Fresh Promo Limited. Their head honcho is a guy by the name of Stephen Olexsewycz who has left a trail of stiffed customers and bankruptcy everywhere he has went. His MO seems to be get the money in from ticket sales, put on the event or cancel the event, declare bankruptcy, stiff people on refunds/salary, change company name & twitter name and continue on.

It's either a plan or pure incompetence. Could be either.

Coincidentally, Stephen from what I can tell went to the same school as the fella doing this new one with Conor. They're called Platinum Events Limited and from what I can see they have a similar history to AnExpWith. They used to be called MDG Events Limited until they disappeared with people demanding refunds and giving out on Twitter that MDG blocked them for demanding refunds and they then dissolved that company before moving on to the new one.

Meanwhile, September 29th in Glasgow, Conor is supposed to be doing an event with a totally different group called Kong Events Limited. Strangely a lot of the same folk seem to be involved in Kong and Platinum (certainly on social media) and have at the very least superficial ties to An Experience With (all registered in Yorkshire and some of them are mates on Facebook).

TL;DR - Either it's a series of mind-numbing coincidences or it looks like a small group of people are involved in putting these events together... and there seems to be shenanigans going on all over the place.

EVEN TL;DR - If Dan Hardy has any sense he'll ask for cash-up-front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

There is something extremely random going on with all this and I can't put my finger on what yet. Maybe nothing illegal but lots of strange occurrences.

The crowd that stiffed Ariel on his money were called An Experience With Limited, formerly Olexy Fresh Promo Limited. Their head honcho is a guy by the name of Stephen Olexsewycz who has left a trail of stiffed customers and bankruptcy everywhere he has went. His MO seems to be get the money in from ticket sales, put on the event or cancel the event, declare bankruptcy, stiff people on refunds/salary, change company name & twitter name and continue on.

Coincidentally, Stephen from what I can tell went to the same school as the fella doing this new one with Conor. They're called Platinum Events Limited and from what I can see they have a similar history to AnExpWith. They used to be called MDG Events Limited until they disappeared with people demanding refunds and giving out on Twitter that MDG blocked them for demanding refunds and they then dissolved that company before moving on to the new one.

Meanwhile, September 29th in Glasgow, Conor is supposed to be doing an event with a totally different group called Kong Events Limited. Strangely a lot of the same folk seem to be involved in Kong and Platinum (certainly on social media) and have at the very least superficial ties to An Experience With (all registered in Yorkshire and some of them are mates on Facebook).

TL;DR - Either it's a series of mind-numbing coincidences or it looks like a small group of people are involved in putting these events together... and there seems to be shenanigans going on all over the place.

Might do to harm to tweet Dan and give him a heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

That's some serious PI work there via facebook, twitter and companies house. Fair play.

As someone has said already, tweet or email these details to Dan Hardy and/or Ariel.

Its the same people then putting it together. And they're scammers. Hardy needs to get paid on the job, and you can only presume Conor has been paid for his last job otherwise he wouldn't be doing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement