Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

how.gareth wrote: »
    Yep but surely he has to be trying something different than last time cause Diaz never looked in danger of being knocked out after being hit with everything and Conor only beat him 3 rounds to 2. I can't see him spending 25 mins doing leg kicks again

Other people are better at breaking down what happened.

Leg kicks work against Diaz. It'd be daft to think they won't make up at least part of the game plan.

I can't wait to see how much the Money Fight sharpened up his boxing for his return to MMA. Someone like Nate that can stand and bang, while taking digs, and putting on pressure? And Nate has seen 3 times now how to get the measure of Conor, and despite the way he talks, Nates sharper than some give him credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Other people are better at breaking down what happened.

Leg kicks work against Diaz. It'd be daft to think they won't make up at least part of the game plan.

I can't wait to see how much the Money Fight sharpened up his boxing for his return to MMA. Someone like Nate that can stand and bang, while taking digs, and putting on pressure? And Nate has seen 3 times now how to get the measure of Conor, and despite the way he talks, Nates sharper than some give him credit for.

Wasn't the main component of his game plan against Nate that they brought in Dillon Danis, he has neglected bjj for a while now. The leg kicks worked for a while until Nate started checking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cloudatlas wrote:
    Wasn't the main component of his game plan against Nate that they brought in Dillon Danis, he has neglected bjj for a while now. The leg kicks worked for a while until Nate started checking them.

The longer the fight went on the less Nate checked em??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Nate Diaz has never landed a punch on Conor till he was gassing and slowing down, if Conor got his cardio together he'd stop him without a doubt probably doctor stoppage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

how.gareth wrote: »
    Yep but surely he has to be trying something different than last time cause Diaz never looked in danger of being knocked out after being hit with everything and Conor only beat him 3 rounds to 2. I can't see him spending 25 mins doing leg kicks again

Luke Thomas was making the case for Conor to use more offensive wrestling. If you look at some of his takedowns against Holloway and Buchinger it's clear he has excellent timing on them when he's fresh. People can debate what he actually achieves when he gets guys down and I know Nate has a great guard but I see no reason why Conor isn't competent enough in top control to take him down and hold him down.

At the very least if he lands one takedown and a few strikes it puts the threat of the takedown in Nate's head which should make him slightly more wary of walking Conor down as the fight progresses.

I still hope we don't get to see the trilogy until 2019, it'd be nice to see a few fresh match-ups whether it's Woodley, Lee, Ferguson, Khabib, GSP, Gaethje... something new would be more fun to my mind.

• Advertisement

I still hope we don't get to see the trilogy until 2019, it'd be nice to see a few fresh match-ups whether it's Woodley, Lee, Ferguson, Khabib, GSP, Gaethje... something new would be more fun to my mind.

If Nate doesn't get of his arse, and fight someone, the longer it holds out, the less likely it'll happen.

But I agree, having fought the same person 3 times in the last 5 fights? Bit uninspired, and it's not like there's a shortage of people wanting a go.

Gamebred wrote:
    Nate Diaz has never landed a punch on Conor till he was gassing and slowing down, if Conor got his cardio together he'd stop him without a doubt probably doctor stoppage.

I dunno man, if they didn't stop it last time they never will. You can't batter a face much more than that.

People saying Conor was never close to finishing him, he put him on his arse 3 times! Nate looked like he was seeing stars after one of em.

The longer the fight went on the less Nate checked em??

The more Conor's leg got banged up and he stopped throwing the kicks. Did you not see he was on crutches afterwards.

cloudatlas wrote:
    The more Conor's leg got banged up and he stopped throwing the kicks. Did you not see he was on crutches afterwards.

Ya, from a checked kick in round 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

walshb wrote: »
    STFU, Nate. Bruce Lee would have lost in rd 1...

correct. i don't want to go off topic here, but people who hold bruce lee up as one of the best fighters of all time need to get a clue. there is literally zero evidence of him actually winning competitive fights, only a couple of second hand anecdotes. a great lad on film and fast as **** but untested in a true fight that we know of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really hope gaethje destroys eddie and is rushed into a title fight next year against mcgregor. It would be a great match up.

Would like lee to beat ferguson as i think it would be a more interesting fight against mcgregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I think McGregor absolute dismantles Gaethje. He just eats too many strikes and the way he comes forward constantly McGregor would just pick him off at will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I think McGregor absolute dismantles Gaethje. He just eats too many strikes and the way he comes forward constantly McGregor would just pick him off at will.

Last thing mcgregor wants is someone that comes forwards with their hands up trying to brawl with him. John Kavanagh may have convinced people otherwise but its all bs...

He wants his opponent to back up and try close the distance with leaping single shots that he can counter. Even in older fights like against diego brandao I could tell mcgregor is not confident with someone in his face throwing punches in bunches. He has neither the confidence or punching technique for this kind of situation. He likes a distance between him and his opponent where he can think and plan offense or wait for the counter. Everyone in UFC now knows mcgregor is very weak if you just pressure him so better work on that, stat. It's not the kind of fighter mcgregor wants to be but hes going to have to get comfortable with that now because its going to be exploited by his next opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jackwigan

Ha!

It's easy to mock people who have lost thousands falling for ridiculous "guaranteed get-rich schemes" but this guy Matt Travis has left a trail of destruction in his wake. Sad stuff reading some of the people he has ruined by the oldest trick in the book (promising the sun, moon and stars guaranteed) - "I will make everybody a millionaire with my expert trading advice"

Depressing stuff to be fair.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This day 6 years ago Conor won his first fight in Cage Warriors, against Aaron Jahnsen in Jordan.

Ais and Cathal also fought on the card, with Ais winning via submission and Pendred drawing.

Jack Hermansson also fought and won that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Paully D wrote: »
    This day 6 years ago Conor won his first fight in Cage Warriors, against Aaron Jahnsen in Jordan.

Ais and Cathal also fought on the card, with Ais winning via submission and Pendred drawing.

No. Almost 7 years ago he lost his first fight in Cage Warriors in 38 seconds to one Joseph Duffy.

6 years ago he got his first win in his second fight in Cage Warriors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Paully D wrote: »

No. Almost 7 years ago he lost his first fight in Cage Warriors in 38 seconds to one Joseph Duffy.

Paully d's statement is still correct!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

:pac: Sub what is with your complete and utter dislike for McGregor. I'm not sure if you've ever explained it or if you even want to but I've never come across an MMA fan (other than hardcore Aldo or Nate Diaz fans) who dislikes him and everything he does as much as yourself.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    :pac: Sub what is with your complete and utter dislike for McGregor. I'm not sure if you've ever explained it or if you even want to but I've never come across an MMA fan (other than hardcore Aldo or Nate Diaz fans) who dislikes him and everything he does as much as yourself.

Eager Beaver isnt far behind him..

crazy how they dis like him so much, yet have a ridiculous amount of posts in threads about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Deservedly living the good life on his holiers at the moment, it seems. Nevertheless, worrying that he still thinks cigars and fags will not undermine his athletic capabilities. Obviously this is Instagram/ image portrayal and perhaps not strictly the truth in any real terms, but still...

Conor's sort of hyperactivity certainly seems to extend from MMA into partying/having a good time. I know lads with personalities not unlike his and they can be divils for the sesh.

It's always a game of inches at the elite levels of competition. Certainly Floyd, Ronaldo and others are testament to maximising longevity and potential by adhering to clean living. Here's hoping he's not too far off in actuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Deservedly living the good life on his holiers at the moment, it seems. Nevertheless, worrying that he still thinks cigars and fags will not undermine his athletic capabilities. Obviously this is Instagram/ image portrayal and perhaps not strictly the truth in any real terms, but still...

Conor's sort of hyperactivity certainly seems to extend from MMA into partying/having a good time. I know lads with personalities not unlike his and they can be divils for the sesh.

It's always a game of inches at the elite levels of competition. Certainly Floyd, Ronaldo and others are testament to maximising longevity and potential by adhering to clean living. Here's hoping he's not too far off in actuality.

Imagine what he would be like if he wasn't with dee!

At least she keeps him somewhat grounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Cigars are good for cardio

Whelo79 wrote: »

I find Conor entertaining and follow him for the most part but I can understand why someone would despise him, the bluster the talking yourself up to way beyond capability, the flipping of the script from utter disrespect to any opponent to in defeat - they are a great warrior, I am humble etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

One thing I find strange to brag about as a fighter is the gate receipts. When he talks up how big the gate is, he's basically saying how much his fans got ripped off, or worse still, priced out of attending. It was disappointing to see the T-Mobile Arena three quarters full with literally thousands of Irish fans in Vegas who would happily have spent a few hundred to attend.

I get that a big gate represents his value to the UFC or whatever organisation he's negotiating with in the future, but it's grating to hear it mentioned as something to be proud of. Combat sport seems to be the only place where it's spoken of like this. Could you imagine if a football club upped their prices and started boasting how they were taking £20m per game, or if U2 came on stage and talked of how much they were making per gig. At the end of the day, it's the fans who are lining their pockets and getting screwed out of their hard earned money.

Still Ill wrote: »
    One thing I find strange to brag about as a fighter is the gate receipts. When he talks up how big the gate is, he's basically saying how much his fans got ripped off, or worse still, priced out of attending. It was disappointing to see the T-Mobile Arena three quarters full with literally thousands of Irish fans in Vegas who would happily have spent a few hundred to attend.

I get that a big gate represents his value to the UFC or whatever organisation he's negotiating with in the future, but it's grating to hear it mentioned as something to be proud of. Combat sport seems to be the only place where it's spoken of like this. Could you imagine if a football club upped their prices and started boasting how they were taking £20m per game, or if U2 came on stage and talked of how much they were making per gig. At the end of the day, it's the fans who are lining their pockets and getting screwed out of their hard earned money.

People love to bang on about how much players cost a team, and their wages. That money comes from where, exactly?

Plus those sort of metrics seem to attract peoples attention, especially US audiences. You're forever hearing about how many people watched the Superbowl, how much someones dress is at the Oscars, how much someone spent buying Eminems house.

"For I am the Dollar, your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you spend.' Capitalism 41:13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

This is the Money Mayweather blueprint that he has been following for the last few years. Its a pretty tasteless way of self promotion but the fact that he comes across as more likeable and articulate than Floyd he gets away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

Apologies if it's already been discussed but does anyone know why the All Access Episode 5 epilogue has been taken down from youtube? I only saw a short clip and Connor apologising to Dana backstage but had wanted to watch the full episode but can't find it anywhere online. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Has anyone been following this Matthew Kline Kader guy? He's some body builder who had some sort of Twitter spat with Cody Garbrandt, then showed up at his gym trying to fight him. By the time he got there, Cody had left, so he's claiming that as a victory. Now he's called out Conor. He intends to come to Dublin in December to fight him. I'm not sure if he's actually serious or if he's just mentally unhinged, but it's kinda entertaining.

He made a video of him in Vegas for the May Mac fight beating up some 'Irish' Mcgregor fan. It's obviously staged, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Starts around 4.30 here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Has anyone been following this Matthew Kline Kader guy? He's some body builder who had some sort of Twitter spat with Cody Garbrandt, then showed up at his gym trying to fight him. By the time he got there, Cody had left, so he's claiming that as a victory. Now he's called out Conor. He intends to come to Dublin in December to fight him. I'm not sure if he's actually serious or if he's just mentally unhinged, but it's kinda entertaining.

He made a video of him in Vegas for the May Mac fight beating up some 'Irish' Mcgregor fan. It's obviously staged, but it's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while. Starts around 4.30 here

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Nice try Matthew.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement