Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

So Conor is being sued by a security guard who is claiming one of the Monster cans Conor launched hit him. He's looking for $95,000: 5 grand for medical expenses and 90 grand for his troubles.

His lawyers came up with the $90,000 figure by claiming Conor was paid $15,000,000 for UFC 202 and Nate landed 166 significant strikes, therefore 15m/166 = roughly 90 grand and that's what they want given Conor landed one significant strike on their client.

Gotta respect the mental gymnastics it took to come up with that figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

So Conor is being sued by a security guard who is claiming one of the Monster cans Conor launched hit him. He's looking for $95,000: 5 grand for medical expenses and 90 grand for his troubles.

His lawyers came up with the $90,000 figure by claiming Conor was paid $15,000,000 for UFC 202 and Nate landed 166 significant strikes, therefore 15m/166 = roughly 90 grand and that's what they want given Conor landed one significant strike on their client.

Gotta respect the mental gymnastics it took to come up with that figure!

Yeah I saw that, gas. Funny that is 166th of his earnings for that fight and only a few years ago he was screaming 60g's excited at the prospect of a post fight bonus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm just surprised that there's logic to his claim and not him wanting $10 Million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Conor like a child looking at the Smyths catalog after seeing that big yacht. At least he's still motivated. Reckon his next fight is announced a week or 2 after he gets back home from Ibiza.

Conor like a child looking at the Smyths catalog after seeing that big yacht. At least he's still motivated. Reckon his next fight is announced a week or 2 after he gets back home from Ibiza.

Yeah I always felt he had many more fights left in him.

There was a lot of people saying he'd retire after the boxing but if you follow his social media closely he's been obsessed with "Billionaire Lifestyle" for ages. He has also partially modeled his career on Floyd's (owning his own content, co-promotion etc) and Floyd was able to reach over a billion in income anyway, so I get the impression he'll want to at least try beat that (doubtful but he can try!).

I think he's going to fight for another 5 years, providing he keeps winning. The odd defeat won't be very problematic, he could easily go 4-2, even 3-3 in his next 6 fights given the standard of competition he'll be up against and still maintain/increase his fame. Back-to-back defeats would definitely cause a problem.

He doesn't look like he's doing much training on that yacht so I doubt we'll see him fight again this year. It's between Diaz, GSP and Woodley for his next fight I think looking at the lay of the land. Really don't see him committing to Khabib/Ferguson/Lee and he's never been too bothered with defending belts. Nate at 155lb would make sense it'd be a title defence at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Conor like a child looking at the Smyths catalog after seeing that big yacht.

Yeah, dreaming it all up again for sure....................... too damn epic a photo not to post it.

Mc_G-_Yacht.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

DJsaf79W0AI5Ymd.jpg

Interesting thoughts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It didn't do as good as they thought or alluded too but still did bloody good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Gamebred wrote:
    Interesting thoughts.

Absolutely no source either though he just plucked those numbers out of the sky too?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

And he looks like he has an agenda within the first 6 words...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm not going down the meme route, but seriously, who is Rick Glaser?

All I can find is something about him demanding that "They" release the real PPV numbers on GGG's last fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rick 'The Salt Mine' Glaser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be funny if glaser is true and the farce did not live up to the "hype"

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Glasser used to be a matchmaker in the early 90s and still does have contacts in the US boxing scene.

He's become a bit of a meme on boxing twitter with the phrase #Glassed mentioned anytime he has one of his rants.

Whether his post on the numbers is correct we'll only find out soon.

As odd as it sounds, the $50m gate was disappointing as would PPV numbers of 3.2m - despite the reality of those representing brilliant figures and all parties getting incredible paydays, due to the promo and hype for the event anything less than May Pac just feels underwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As odd as it sounds, the $50m gate was disappointing as would PPV numbers of 3.2m - despite the reality of those representing brilliant figures and all parties getting incredible paydays, due to the promo and hype for the event anything less than May Pac just feels underwhelming.
    May PAC was predicted to do 3m (based on the then record 2.4m). It was off the charts. That was always going to be the target, as it's human nature to aim for the record. But just for the sake of perspective.

Most boxing PPV sell under a million.
    The UFC PPV record is around 1.65m
    Only 5 boxing matches have sold more than 1.65m.
    Only 3 fights of them have broke the 2m mark.
    And May Pac is the only fight in history to break 2.5m

Falling short of the biggest selling fight of all time is not a disappointment for those involved tbh. About a year ago I said "if it happened it would do maybe 2.5-3m"...but at the same time I didn't think it would happen. I honestly think that 3m+ is huge when you consider the bigger picture. Glasser trying to turn that into an insult is bizarre.

I've a feeling Conor might want to squeeze 2 fights in before June 1st 2018 as that's the cut-off point for the updated Forbes Rich List he seems fascinated with. He'll be top of the list for active athletes either way but I suppose it can't hurt to add another $35 million on to his total.

As for the PPV numbers - Eddie Hearn said it broke the UK PPV record, which is completely separate obviously but if that's true it's still a nice few quid onto the global total.

To be honest yer man Glaser can lob whatever numbers he wants for the US buys into the mix, none of us can disprove it besides Conor/Floyd's forensic accountants. Ditto when Meltzer comes out with his estimates. 3.2 million buys would be pretty disappointing for Conor's bottom line as the $100 million he anticipated was predicated on beating May-Pac numbers.

If it's true it only did 3.2 million in the US, I'm sure Conor is busy wiping his tears with the $86 million he will end up getting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Didn't break May-Pac records?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Wonder said he'd close his account if it didn't break the record, going so far as to claim it would clear 5m. Squeaky bum time I imagine.

I find it very hard to believe a fight at 5 in the morning would break the UK ppv record, but as I said before, if they managed it, it would be some bloody achievement.

Wonder said he'd close his account if it didn't break the record, going so far as to claim it would clear 5m. Squeaky bum time I imagine.

I find it very hard to believe a fight at 5 in the morning would break the UK ppv record, but as I said before, if they managed it, it would be some bloody achievement.

I'm sure the UK ppv record includes Irish sales too. More a SKY ppv record than a UK one. I'd actually believe that as it doesn't benefit Eddie Hearn to lie about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I'm sure the UK ppv record includes Irish sales too. More a SKY ppv record than a UK one. I'd actually believe that as it doesn't benefit Eddie Hearn to lie about it.

Doesnt benefit White or Ellerbe and they lied about the gate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sky already said it broke the UK PPV record, I don't see why they would lie, they would have more interest in bigging up AJ's numbers imo. 700k watched MayPac so the audience is there, even at 5 am.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/7/16268878/mayweather-vs-mcgregor-officially-breaks-u-k-ppv-record

Gamebred wrote: »
    Doesnt benefit White or Ellerbe and they lied about the gate.

You miss my point. White and Ellerbe lying paints them in a good light. A Matchroom promoted event held the previous ppv record, so i don't see why he'd lie about some one else's promotion breaking his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Anybody got a link to a full on active MMA thread? Don't wanna necro a dead thread, also sick of full on McGregor threads. All pointers appreciated!! :)

Apologies if i seemed rude, but an official McGregor thread is never usually the spot to get involved in some decent MMA convo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

If you couldn't pinpoint the location of a thread fittting your exact description that sits a mighty three threads below this one on the board, I feel it is in the threads interest to not enable your entry into it by providing a link....

....of course maybe you were being considerate and didn't feel like necro-ing that zombie thread....what with the last post being a whole ten hours ago and all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

goon_magee wrote: »
    Anybody got a link to a full on active MMA thread? Don't wanna necro a dead thread, also sick of full on McGregor threads. All pointers appreciated!! :)
    Have you checked the MMA forum?
    If no suitable recent thread exists, you could start a new one.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    If you couldn't pinpoint the location of a thread fittting your exact description that sits a mighty three threads below this one on the board, I feel it is in the threads interest to not enable your entry into it by providing a link....

....of course maybe you were being considerate and didn't feel like necro-ing that zombie thread....what with the last post being a whole ten hours ago and all....

Apologies for the nonsense man, I came in pissed last night and decided to go looking for a thread I'd been meaning to look for for a while now. Going to go and have a look through now and hopefully see you for some more constructive convo soon !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Apologies for the nonsense man, I came in pissed last night and decided to go looking for a thread I'd been meaning to look for for a while now. Going to go and have a look through now and hopefully see you for some more constructive convo soon !

That is a refreshing level of honesty! I have made equally nonsensical posts while pissed so dont know why I was so quick to hop on the old high horse there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/104695180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement