Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

Let's see if canelo vs triple G lives up to the hype and outshines mayweather vs McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    goon_magee wrote: »
    Apologies for the nonsense man, I came in pissed last night and decided to go looking for a thread I'd been meaning to look for for a while now. Going to go and have a look through now and hopefully see you for some more constructive convo soon !

That is a refreshing level of honesty! I have made equally nonsensical posts while pissed so dont know why I was so quick to hop on the old high horse there :D

Haha, if there's one thing I've learnt from MMA threads (and the internet in general) etc, it's that you can never tell when asshole wind up merchants will come drifting in, so I totally understand your reaction to my drunken entrance last night xD

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

21903387_848001992047095_762844962_n.png?oh=4dec6518aec3bcdebcb4ba748bc94f8a&oe=59C37E8D

Looking about 200lbs enjoying the retired life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Well that confirms it so. McG is fighting Stipe next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Well that confirms it so. McG is fighting Stipe next.

He better hurry up and arrange to fight someone before I'm site banned for battling the anti-Islam crowd in After Hours :pac: I'm triggered as the cool kids say :D

Honestly can't remember Conor ever letting himself go like that but fair play. Almost no chance he fights on that December 30th card... unless at 170lbs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,601 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Doesn't Conor always beef up out of camp? Not Ricky Fatton style, but 25-30 lbs beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

walshb wrote: »
    Doesn't Conor always beef up out of camp? Not Ricky Fatton style, but 25-30 lbs beef?

Wouldn't usually go above 175 lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Worst thing he did was beef up on steaks etc for Diaz 1. He got a taste for eating. Hard to lose it after that with the muscle mass increase as well. Not a hope will he make 145 again. By all accounts the 155 cut wasn't the smoothest either. Being heavier fighting now his base for where he starts as he "enjoys himself" is also higher, hence the photo above.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Worst thing he did was beef up on steaks etc for Diaz 1. He got a taste for eating. Hard to lose it after that with the muscle mass increase as well. Not a hope will he make 145 again. By all accounts the 155 cut wasn't the smoothest either. Being heavier fighting now his base for where he starts as he "enjoys himself" is also higher, hence the photo above.

How was the 155 cut not smooth? For his fights against Alvarez and mayweather he weighed in under the limit. I reckon he could be putting on muscle aiming to do big cuts for 155 like he used to at 145. That would also make him better suited for going up to 170.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

How was the 155 cut not smooth? For his fights against Alvarez and mayweather he weighed in under the limit. I reckon he could be putting on muscle aiming to do big cuts for 155 like he used to at 145. That would also make him better suited for going up to 170.

His face was noticeably drawn at 153.4lbs for the Mayweather fight, whereas for Eddie he weighed in if I remember correctly at 154.6lbs and looked reasonably solid.

Conor's fundamental measurements are pretty suited to welterweight. If you look at the lightweights who have gone up in recent years, 2 probably stick out - Cowboy and RDA - both have had decent success at 170lbs and Conor has height & reach advantages on RDA and reach advantage over Cowboy. He probably gives up a strength advantage to both but that applied at LW too.

I fundamentally believe he'll be challenging for the welterweight strap sooner than later. Whether he wins or not is another kettle of fish but I see no reason he can't hurt people with his timing and accuracy at 170lb's.

He was never ever a featherweight it's mind boggling looking back he made 145lb's so many times. He was always a naturally big lightweight and small sized welterweight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

His face was noticeably drawn at 153.4lbs for the Mayweather fight, whereas for Eddie he weighed in if I remember correctly at 154.6lbs and looked reasonably solid.

Conor's fundamental measurements are pretty suited to welterweight. If you look at the lightweights who have gone up in recent years, 2 probably stick out - Cowboy and RDA - both have had decent success at 170lbs and Conor has height & reach advantages on RDA and reach advantage over Cowboy. He probably gives up a strength advantage to both but that applied at LW too.

I fundamentally believe he'll be challenging for the welterweight strap sooner than later. Whether he wins or not is another kettle of fish but I see no reason he can't hurt people with his timing and accuracy at 170lb's.

He was never ever a featherweight it's mind boggling looking back he made 145lb's so many times. He was always a naturally big lightweight and small sized welterweight.

He was definitely drawn for the Mayweather fight but not as drawn as his FW fights. Being drawn at FW had nothing to do with him having a tough weight cut either, he was cutting a lot of water. His last 2 weight cuts were probably a piece of piss compared to some of his FW cuts.

He looked slightly more drawn out for Mayweather compared to Eddie, but he also cut an extra pound and it probably came off his face. His frame has developed as you would expect it, he's not gonna be the same build as when he was 24 and fighting FW, it's natural for fighters to to fill out a bit as they get older, and he was just filling out a bit to make sure he would not be at a disadvantage at his new weight class.

RDA is a more natural WW, Conor may have height and reach, but RDA is 190 lbs on fight day. Frankly how he made LW is astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's amazing how much his body has changed in a few weeks. Shows how much work goes into getting to 155, not just the cut but the months of regimented training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

According to the headline...
    ...but nothing in the articke backed up that claim. That said, I stopping doubting "McGregor will do X next" articles a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Love how it says McGregor trash talked his way to two titles. He didn't knockout both champions 😣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I'll believe it when I see him standing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Jeremy Stephens comeback was almost worth the wait

#YourMomKnowsWhoDaFook

#YourMomKnowsWhoDaFook

Only took him a year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

There was a McGregor special with Paul Kimmage being interviewed by Dunphy on his podcast The Stand. It's strange such a celebrated sports journalist like Kimmage was stumbling to answer how many rounds there are in a UFC fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

#YourMomKnowsWhoDaFook

A year for a "your ma" joke isn't great tbh. I've seen better comebacks over in After Hours at 4am in the morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was a McGregor special with Paul Kimmage being interviewed by Dunphy on his podcast The Stand. It's strange such a celebrated sports journalist like Kimmage was stumbling to answer how many rounds there are in a UFC fight!

paul is on the record saying that MMA repluses him.

he is also on the record for saying that it's practitioners and supporters fascinate him.

he has been to an MMA event as he wrote about a Dylan Tuke fight, so it is a bit strange he doesn't know how many rounds are in a fight.

him with JK
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/paul-kimmage/paul-kimmage-meets-john-kavanagh-my-friendship-with-conor-battling-mcgeeney-and-how-we-blagged-our-way-into-jlos-party-35133838.html

him on the Tuke fight
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/paul-kimmage/paul-kimmage-as-you-watch-them-embrace-and-listen-to-the-sobbing-there-are-tears-running-down-your-face-35302327.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

CatFromHue wrote: »
    paul is on the record saying that MMA repluses him.

he is also on the record for saying that it's practitioners and supporters fascinate him.

he has been to an MMA event as he wrote about a Dylan Tuke fight, so it is a bit strange he doesn't know how many rounds are in a fight.

him with JK
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/paul-kimmage/paul-kimmage-meets-john-kavanagh-my-friendship-with-conor-battling-mcgeeney-and-how-we-blagged-our-way-into-jlos-party-35133838.html

him on the Tuke fight
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/paul-kimmage/paul-kimmage-as-you-watch-them-embrace-and-listen-to-the-sobbing-there-are-tears-running-down-your-face-35302327.html

He discussed his meeting with Kavanagh etc but overall it was a poor poor interview and I felt my time had been wasted but I will admit to having a dislike for Kimmage and his ego but taking a step back from my dislike of him I still found it a struggle to listen for the whole episode which I think was about 50 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Love how it says McGregor trash talked his way to two titles. He didn't knockout both champions ��

Its still true though. He did trash talk his way to the titles. He was just able to back it up unlike other who have tried trash talking their way to a title [waves at Chael]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

BOHtox wrote: »
    A year for a "your ma" joke isn't great tbh. I've seen better comebacks over in After Hours at 4am in the morning.

Yeah but a "yer ma" joke where his actual ma is part of the joke? Not like he could have rang her up and said" here I want to sting your young fella, any chance of a picture"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I'm getting more enjoyment out of the fact that Mammy McGregor probably didn't know who the fook this guy was and just assumed he was a fan of her son wanting a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Told ye lads, it's happening.

If you want to go, get on it soon before the flights go up in price.

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/conor-mcgregor-next-fight-2-374249

Nate has been back in camp since the middle of august, doing a lot of work with Perez and sparring with guys from Andre Ward's Kings gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Told ye lads, it's happening.

If you want to go, get on it soon before the flights go up in price.

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/conor-mcgregor-next-fight-2-374249

Nate has been back in camp since the middle of august, doing a lot of work with Perez and sparring with guys from Andre Ward's Kings gym.

The Sunday World is the source....I'm just going to wait for further clarification.

• Advertisement

Dana has denied it, and Conor doesn't look like he's starting camp anytime soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement