Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lukker- wrote: »
    Dana has denied it,

That's it confirmed so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

If Ferguson vs Lee is a barn burner with a clear winner, surely Conor will be under pressure to face the winner, rather than a third fight with Nate?

Ferguson and Lee really need to stake their claim to be next in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

If Ferguson vs Lee is a barn burner with a clear winner, surely Conor will be under pressure to face the winner, rather than a third fight with Nate?

Ferguson and Lee really need to stake their claim to be next in line.

It's all about how they are on the mic after they win. It has to be a proper call out like Nate did when he beat Michael Johnson. That's what goes viral and gets spread around to the more casual fight fan to build interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Don't think any casuals seen that Nate rant until he was announced as RDAs replacement.
    Ferguson had the chance to call him out after beating RDA but he just shouted viva Mexico..
    No one knows who Kevin Lee is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    It's all about how they are on the mic after they win. It has to be a proper call out like Nate did when he beat Michael Johnson. That's what goes viral and gets spread around to the more casual fight fan to build interest.

sorry but thats ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Don't think any casuals seen that Nate rant until he was announced as RDAs replacement.
    Ferguson had the chance to call him out after beating RDA but he just shouted viva Mexico..

Lots of casuals would have known who the Diaz bro's were. The fights were the highest PPV's Conor did in the UFC by a decent margin so I'm guessing they brought some amount of their own following.

Maybe I'm misrembering but I seem to rememeber that rant veing everywhere the day after and not just on MMA sites. Yeah it was such an open goal for Tony that night. Why he didn't say anything is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm misrembering but I seem to rememeber that rant veing everywhere the day after and not just on MMA sites. Yeah it was such an open goal for Tony that night. Why he didn't say anything is beyond me.

Yep it was everywhere. I reckon I was fairly casual back then and it was fairly prominent on social media.

I do agree the winner of Tony v Lee really need to shine on the mic to create a bit more of a buzz for a unification bout. Maybe if Nate's money demands are too far-fetched the UFC could go for the winner of that bout first if it seems like a viable alternative.

Yep it was everywhere. I reckon I was fairly casual back then and it was fairly prominent on social media.

I do agree the winner of Tony v Lee really need to shine on the mic to create a bit more of a buzz for a unification bout. Maybe if Nate's money demands are too far-fetched the UFC could go for the winner of that bout first if it seems like a viable alternative.

It just seems like Conor-Nate 3 will be big business no matter when they do it. Keep it as an ace in the hole and make the winner of Lee-Ferguson next to give either of them the rub of a 1m+ PPV and potentially make a new star in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nate will take whatever hes given. He earned €500k from the first fight and €3m from the 2nd fight. Hes lost 11/30 fights and lost 6 of his last 12. Hes a journeyman so he'll take €5m or whatever it will be for this fight, as it'll be a title fight, or they'll just give it to Ferguson/Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

The Nal wrote: »
    Nate will take whatever hes given. He earned €500k from the first fight and €3m from the 2nd fight. Hes lost 11/30 fights and lost 6 of his last 12. Hes a journeyman so he'll take €5m or whatever it will be for this fight, as it'll be a title fight, or they'll just give it to Ferguson/Lee.

no he wont diaz brothers are the type to cut off their nose to spite their face, so no way he fights for a low figure like 5m.

diaz knows mcgregor still wants that difinitive 3rd fight, and he'll bleed them all to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jcd5971 wrote: »
    no he wont diaz brothers are the type to cut off their nose to spite their face, so no way he fights for a low figure like 5m.

diaz knows mcgregor still wants that difinitive 3rd fight, and he'll bleed them all to get it.
    $5m is Conor and Nates combined purse from the 2nd fight. That's not a low figure. It's significantly more than any fighter have been paid in the UFC.
    Journeymen don't get paid 6 figures, let along $5m.

Conor v Nate III does big numbers.
    Conor v Tony does big numbers.
    I reckon I could make the walk opposite Conor and it could still break 1million buys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Does anyone really want to see Diaz 111 so soon? Crazy that they'll be having an interim fight, but the champion fights #6 in the division for the belt? Ludicrous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It wont happen yet as it's money in the bank for Conor and UFC. A guaranteed record breaker even if Conor lost his next 3 fights. Mayweather had to happen now, there is loads of time for the trilogy fight, no need to blow there loads yet.

They can put Conor on any piece of **** card against any opponent and it'll do 1.5m buys easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I don't have too much interest in the Diaz trilogy yet (I'll still watch it), let some time go before the trilogy.

I'm sure most people would rather see McGregor fight any of Khabib, Tony, Lee, Woodley etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

I've zero interest in ever seeing Conor and Nate fight again, so many other fights I'd rather see him in, Ferguson, Khabib, Gaethje, Woodley, GSP etc etc.

Waste of time imo, Diaz doesnt even deserve a shot at a title, I'm sick to death with all these bull**** title fights.

Fromvert wrote: »
    I don't have too much interest in the Diaz trilogy yet (I'll still watch it), let some time go before the trilogy.

I'm sure most people would rather see McGregor fight any of Khabib, Tony, Lee, Woodley etc

Lee needs a win over decent opposition first. Chiesa was ranked 8 or 9 when Lee beat him and he's literally the only decent opposition he fought.

The Nal wrote: »

Nate had made close to $20million from the two fights combined. He made just shy of ten million for the first and cleared ten for the second. He's not in this for the glory, he's always said he fights because it's something that pays him, he no longer needs to accept low-ball offers from the UFC, he can retire and live in comfort for the rest of his life right now, why would he accept a fight for peanuts? You have a serious lack of understanding in how much power the UFC had over the likes of Conor or Nate.

Nate knows that he's partially responsible for two our of three of the UFCs biggest ever pay days, he knows his value, why would he "take what he's given"?

BTW Conor will take the Diaz fight because he and his team see it as the easy option, he's a known quantity and they believe they know how to beat him now, he's also the biggest payday for a man who has always said he wanted get in, get rich and get out.

The UFC also have had a terrible calendar year in terms on PPV buys, they and WME-IMG need to have a big seller before the end of the year to appease investors. This fight gives them a good gate and a good PPV sale figure, allows them to close the year with a win.

Conor and Nate will take what they now they can get for it and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

BTW Conor will take the Diaz fight because he and his team see it as the easy option, he's a known quantity and they believe they know how to beat him now, he's also the biggest payday for a man who has always said he wanted get in, get rich and get out.

The UFC also have had a terrible calendar year in terms on PPV buys, they and WME-IMG need to have a big seller before the end of the year to appease investors. This fight gives them a good gate and a good PPV sale figure, allows them to close the year with a win.

Conor and Nate will take that they now they can get for it and rightly so.

How does anyone think Conor and/or his team see Nate as their easy fight. Nate tapped him once and took him 5 rounds in an absolute war in the second fight in which Nate came very close to finishing Conor and even closer to taking a decision.

I actually think Ferguson and Nate are similar difficulty opponents for Conor. Styles make matchups and Nate matches well against Conor. The big difference is the payday. Your making a good deal more fighting Nate.

I actually think Ferguson and Nate are similar difficulty opponents for Conor. Styles make matchups and Nate matches well against Conor. The big difference is the payday. Your making a good deal more fighting Nate.

I actually agreed that they pose similar problems, I think Ferguson is probably an easier fight though, he's proven that his chin is suspect where as Nate's seems to be ridiculous. But in terms of styles very similar.

Both use their striking effectively and have very good Jiu-Jitsu, bit are not takedown artists. Like Nate's submission wins almost all come from him being taken down, same with Ferguson, they don't shoot for doubled or even go for takedowns often, they wait for someone to get frustrated by their Output and then work off their backs.

Neither of them are going to take Conor down in the way Chad did or Khabib would, and Conor probably feels he can handle both of them on the feet, especially after the last camp of pure striking, the reality is that a fight with either only goes to the mat if Conor decides to take it there and that just will not be in his game plan.

The difference between the two is that Nate generates more PPV buys, is an opportunity to close that "chapter" by winning the rubber match and is the known quantity.

Also, Nate is free, Tony isn't.

Lee needs a win over decent opposition first. Chiesa was ranked 8 or 9 when Lee beat him and he's literally the only decent opposition he fought.

No point leaving him out of potential match ups as he could be interim champ in a few weeks.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    How does anyone think Conor and/or his team see Nate as their easy fight. Nate tapped him once and took him 5 rounds in an absolute war in the second fight in which Nate came very close to finishing Conor and even closer to taking a decision.

I personally don't think he's an easy fight, but I do think JK et Al would see it as easier than Khabib or Tony as he's a know quantity and they've already beaten him. They also have an entire boxing camp behind them so their belief in Conor's striking vs Nate who is essentially just a boxer with BJJ skills would be very high.
    Nate's obvious advantage over Conor is that his BJJ for MMA is several levels above Conor's on paper, but the flip side of that is Nate doesn't really do takedowns and Conor's TDD is pretty impressive, Chad aside. As long as Conor doesn't panic wrestle Nate again they should be fairly confident that it will just be another striking match like last August, if they believe that then it stands to reason they would be very confident of beating Nate after spending almost a year focusing completely on boxing.

As said above Nate's not going to shoot and if McGregor doesn't bring it to the mat his only problem is cardio. Nate can't compete with McGregor on the feet when he's fresh. He beats Nate if his cardio is up to scratch and he manages his energy correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

I personally don't think he's an easy fight, but I do think JK et Al would see it as easier than Khabib or Tony as he's a know quantity and they've already beaten him. They also have an entire boxing camp behind them so their belief in Conor's striking vs Nate who is essentially just a boxer with BJJ skills would be very high.
    Nate's obvious advantage over Conor is that his BJJ for MMA is several levels above Conor's on paper, but the flip side of that is Nate doesn't really do takedowns and Conor's TDD is pretty impressive, Chad aside. As long as Conor doesn't panic wrestle Nate again they should be fairly confident that it will just be another striking match like last August, if they believe that then it stands to reason they would be very confident of beating Nate after spending almost a year focusing completely on boxing.

I think you are right about both not taking him down. But that said, Tony makes weird scrambles and is more dangerous in the clinch. Always a risk when he gets close that he'll initiate some form of clinch and someone ends up on the ground from it, which is a big risk for Conor. That said, his striking isn't as tidy as Nate's and he get chewed up closing the distance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

rob316 wrote: »
    They can put Conor on any piece of **** card against any opponent and it'll do 1.5m buys easy.

205, a stacked card with the title fights and culminating in McGregor's chase of history did 1.3m.

Why would serving up a load of ****e and sticking him on it do 1.5m?

Nate getting the fight would be a bit of a joke.

• Advertisement

205, a stacked card with the title fights and culminating in McGregor's chase of history did 1.3m.

Why would serving up a load of ****e and sticking him on it do 1.5m?

Nate getting the fight would be a bit of a joke.

His stock has gone up since the Mayweather fight, lots of new eyes on him that'll tune in for his next fight imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement