Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

McGregor v Diaz was 4/1 to be his next fight yesterday, it's now 1/10. Really disappointed if this happens. Just scrap the belts and contenders. It means nothing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor v Diaz was 4/1 to be his next fight yesterday, it's now 1/10. Really disappointed if this happens. Just scrap the belts and contenders. It means nothing anymore.

Bisping vs Henderson should have confirmed that for you man

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is he still doing "An Evening with" on the 30th in London as well?

A man who submitted him and arguably beat him in a 5 round war is not "the easy option" FFS!

• Advertisement

A man who submitted him and arguably beat him in a 5 round war is not "the easy option" FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've no is a why people think Diaz is an easy fight. Nate Diaz is a considerably tougher match-up than both Ferguson and Lee. I'd only have Khabib as a tougher fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nate had made close to $20million from the two fights combined. He made just shy of ten million for the first and cleared ten for the second. He's not in this for the glory, he's always said he fights because it's something that pays him, he no longer needs to accept low-ball offers from the UFC, he can retire and live in comfort for the rest of his life right now, why would he accept a fight for peanuts? You have a serious lack of understanding in how much power the UFC had over the likes of Conor or Nate.

Nate knows that he's partially responsible for two our of three of the UFCs biggest ever pay days, he knows his value, why would he "take what he's given"?

You're saying Nate got almost €10m for the first fight at 196? WTF? TEN MILLION dollars?! Are you fúcking high? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Nal wrote: »
    You're saying Nate got almost €10m for the first fight at 196? WTF? TEN MILLION dollars?! Are you fúcking high? :confused:

Yup, and he made $13m+ from the second fight.
    The salary is not their main earner, PPV sales are. The more the fight sells, the higher their ppv points go, the first fight sold 1.3m, the second did 1.6, they are the second and first highest selling UFC cards ever respectively.

Mellor wrote: »
    I've no is a why people think Diaz is an easy fight. Nate Diaz is a considerably tougher match-up than both Ferguson and Lee. I'd only have Khabib as a tougher fight.

I don't think he's an easy fight, I'd stated that several times, but I do think the SBG team will have the belief that they have him "figured out". Nate is no mystery, he's had the same style of fighting for a decade. He either pressures and uses his volume to break people like he did cowboy or they shoot on him like Conor in the first match.

There's no plan b or c, it's striking volume, stamina and toughness and when you get fed up of him coming forward you either shoot or burn out and he dominates you.

SBG will think they have addressed Conor's apparent stamina issues over the last year and a bit, they'll believe Nate can't compete with Conor standing up after the last camp, they know Nate isn't going to try and shoot doubles on Conor and they know Conor isn't stupid enough to fall into the trap of trying to take Nate down again.

I think he poses more risk than Ferguson in that if Tony presses forward and gets tagged, he's going down quickly, his chin isn't exactly granite. But to SBG he's an unknown quantity with a weird awkward striking style. Nate is a traditional boxer who stands in a wide stance and throws short combos and will do some dirty boxing against the cage in the clinch, a known quantity they believe they can pick apart after "figuring out" what went wrong in the first and second fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I don't think anyone other than blind-sided Diaz bros fans believe it's arguable that Nate won that fight. Of course it was a close 3 rounds to 2 fight, but all of those rounds were fairly clear-cut who the winner was.

I don't think people are saying Nate is an easy fight, it's just the blueprint to beat him is there so Conor's camp more or less have to do with they did in the second fight but do better managing his energy levels to put a stamp on it.

I'd say Lee would be the easiest challenge (well I'm open to him proving me wrong at 216). Tony's chin might last long enough for him to clinch then aggressively rip Conor to the ground and D'Arce him. I reckon Conor might have better TDD than Michael Johnson but Khabib's chin is mostly an unknown so that fight depends on if Conor can KO him before being taken down and pummelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I would much rather see McGregor fight somebody else but I'd be intrigued to see him fight Diaz at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Over the two Diaz fights Diaz has the edge. He beat him well in the first fight and the 2nd fight was close.

Still, id prefer to see him fight someone new, Woodley or Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is no way Nate got $10m out of the first fight, no way. Barely got that on the 2nd I'd say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think Nate has said publicly already that he wont fight again unless it's for 20 mil.

It's by no means an easy fight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

backspin. wrote: »
    Over the two Diaz fights Diaz has the edge. He beat him well in the first fight and the 2nd fight was close.

Still, id prefer to see him fight someone new, Woodley or Ferguson.

He didn't beat him well in the first fight, he was winning until he gassed badly and he was supposedly sick going in to that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

xtal191 wrote: »
    He didn't beat him well in the first fight, he was winning until he gassed badly and he was supposedly sick going in to that fight.

He just gassed the other day as well, was he ill going into that one? Need to be fit overall.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    He just gassed the other day as well, was he ill going into that one? Need to be fit overall.

Boxing conditioning /= MMA conditioning

How long does it usually take a boxer to work their way up to 12 rounds?

With this kind of insight I'm surprised they haven't taken you on as a conditioning coach :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I see Mayweather has a painting of McGregor in one of his gaffs.

Mcg_Painting.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Mcg_Painting.jpg

That looks like a REALLY big door. Quick estimate puts it at 3 meters high.

I don't know why I'm impressed, or why I care, but hey.

EDIT: I bet the painting is from one of those lads that follow Conors FB and Insta's and post their paintings.

• Advertisement

I'd say Conor is chuffed! His childhood hero has a huge painting of him in his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

If someone made me upwards off 100m id make sure I had a life size statue as well as the painting!

Steampump wrote: »
    Any word on the Mayweather McGregor PPV numbers?

It didn't break the may-pac record, as usual Dana lied when he said 6 million sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It didn't break the may-pac record, as usual Dana lied when he said 6 million sales.

Only Dana could make the 2nd biggest amount of PPV sales seem disappointing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd say Conor is chuffed! His childhood hero has a huge painting of him in his house.

Gazing lovingly

I doubt it did, but you don't know that. You've as much clue as any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Yeah still don't think the official number is out yet. Dana could well have been hyping and could come out after and say the 6.5 mil estimate includes the UK PPVs numbers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

xtal191 wrote: »

That's in line with what Meltzer was estimating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

That looks like a REALLY big door. Quick estimate puts it at 3 meters high.

I don't know why I'm impressed, or why I care, but hey.

EDIT: I bet the painting is from one of those lads that follow Conors FB and Insta's and post their paintings.

thats one painting split in two
    and yeah id say hes chuffed
    but i'd ay they are mates now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement