Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It didn't break the may-pac record, as usual Dana lied when he said 6 million sales.
    That was worldwide I thought.
    If the 4.4-4.6m number that's been throw about is accurate for America. I imagine that 6-6.5m is accurate for a global number.

Unless[/] Dana said 6m in the US, I don't think we can say he's lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    That was worldwide I thought.
    If the 4.4-4.6m number that's been throw about is accurate for America. I imagine that 6-6.5m is accurate for a global number.

Unless[/] Dana said 6m in the US, I don't think we can say he's lying.

Well we know it did 1m buys at least in the UK, MayPac did another 1m on top of that for the rest of the world so 1m UK and 1m worldwide sales on top of US sales doesn't seem far fetched to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

How can they not know exactly how many were bought after this much time? Or isn't it a case they just won't realease the figure?

Surely any business in this day and age can quantify their sales down to an exact number. The guys like Meltzer who estimate the buys, where do they get this figure from?

Sonnen was on the MMA hour a while back and claimed that the Mayweather Pacquiao numbers were grossly exaggerated. Obviously he's not a reliable source of info but you would have to wonder why there is so much talk of "trending" and estimates.

UFC had to refund a lot of the sales if I remember correctly? Would these be included?

Either way the more I think about it it's a bit mad that anyone really cares too much. Obviously McGregor and Mayweather, and all the various businesses involved care because it equates to income. But as fans, why do we really care?

189 was the best McGregor PPV for me, it was an insane card and for me it was Mcgregors best performance all things considered. There was a crazy atmosphere and as a spectacle it was up there with any sporting event. As far as I know that did less than 1 million buys.

Even looking at 202 and 205, 202 outsold it as far as I know and comparing the two cards is apples and oranges. 202 was decent, with a great main event. 205 had Khabib and Frankie Edgar in the prelims!

I suppose my point is I don't see how it's still a case of guessing how much a card sold, and either way it doesn't really mean anything except to the people getting paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have no issue with Diaz 3, they need toget it out of the way, but at least do it December this year. Dragging on to March next year means a LW interim title defense. Instead, fight Nate in December and winner gets Tony/Lee in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know why the Dec 30 fight is off the table? Surely if Nate isnt playing ball Dana would just snub him by booking someone else. Im guessing this is Conors decision not to do Dec 30? Or are there other factors at play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Where is Marcos and all his knowledge now, i hope you will refund peoples flights lad..

Conor said himself when he found out that the Forbes rich list goes from June till June, that he probably won't fight again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Where is Marcos and all his knowledge now, i hope you will refund peoples flights lad..

Conor said himself when he found out that the Forbes rich list goes from June till June, that he probably won't fight again this year.

I think Wonder pointed out here that its the kid's birthday around Xmas and it was said in Kavanagh's book that Conor found the food plan to be brutal around Xmas, so with those two combined he probably would prefer not to fight

everlast75 wrote:
    I think Wonder pointed out here that its the kid's birthday around Xmas and it was said in Kavanagh's book that Conor found the food plan to be brutal around Xmas, so with those two combined he probably would prefer not to fight

I know this, but Marcos GUARANTEED he will be fighting Diaz in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dont think it be this year either. I reckon holly holm vs cyborg will headline the ufc 219 card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Jaysus, paddies day against Diaz again... leave it a while and have the rubber match

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jaysus, paddies day against Diaz again... leave it a while and have the rubber match

That's just what JK has expressed he would like. He also has said that he has less than 1% of influence on these matters.

Boom_Bap wrote:
    That's just what JK has expressed he would like. He also has said that he has less than 1% of influence on these matters.

Roddy also wants Diaz next. Ariel , who'd be in the know, says that Diaz 3 is the plan

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've no doubt they want Diaz 3 next, it's just a matter of when and where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I meant leave it a year or so, defend the belt a couple times, then have the trilogy

I meant leave it a year or so, defend the belt a couple times, then have the trilogy

My opinion too. Would actually be gone off Conor if he fights Diaz again so soon. Didn't agree with Diaz 2 either but got over it.

Became a fan because he was fighting against the odds (Not literally) And making history getting belts. Now it's just plain an simple money grabbing. Fair play to him an all that, but it does sicken me.

I can see the reasoning for wanting it now, any longer and it's just always going to be hanging over his head.
    Plus, I think that the UFC need Nate back in the octagon and this is the only fight that will bring him back...unless he gets a title shot for mad money. It's the only fight that will get him back without the UFC having to ask him.
    The only other fight there for Conor is Ferguson.

Why would the ufc need Diaz back? He was fighting on free tv cards before Conor. Never headliner, never held a belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Why would the ufc need Diaz back? He was fighting on free tv cards before Conor. Never headliner, never held a belt.

None of that matters. He's a headlining name now after the two fights with Conor. Conor was fighting on free tv cards too before. Things have changed.

also, big names are dropping like flys from the UFC.

Jones, Rhonda, Lesner, Aldo (not gone, but slipping) probably a few others.
    Some big draws are not available at the moment, some weight classes have no competition that creates a buzz. UFC need something.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote:
    Jones, Rhonda, Lesner, Aldo (not gone, but slipping) probably a few others. Some big draws are not available at the moment, some weight classes have no competition that creates a buzz. UFC need something.

Come on, as deadly as Aldo was, he was never a big name and shouldn't be mentioned alongside Jones, Rhondo or Brock.

Probably true, McGregor probably made him a bit of a name when he leapt out of the octagon and ran over to him in the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Come on, as deadly as Aldo was, he was never a big name and shouldn't be mentioned alongside Jones, Rhondo or Brock.
    I do hope that's a wind up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

the ufc is a mess if this goes ahead
    why bother with belts or rankings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Boom_Bap wrote: »

That's pure martial arts you're talking about. No money in that and that's what it's all about now.

Tazzimus wrote:
    I do hope that's a wind up..

He wasn't a big name outside of mma fans, don't even try say he was. Not in the same breath as Brock lesnar and Rhonda!! The man doesn't even speak English!

That's pure martial arts you're talking about. No money in that and that's what it's all about now.

That's what got the ufc to where it is now tho. Proper contenders making there way up the rankings and getting tittle shots. It's going down the same road as boxing now with fighters avoiding eachother and looking for the easy defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He wasn't a big name outside of mma fans, don't even try say he was. Not in the same breath as Brock lesnar and Rhonda!! The man doesn't even speak English!
    Famous as Ronda supposedly is, people still spell her name wrong all the time :P

Brock is famous because of WWE.

Aldo is a legend of the sport, different kind of "big name"
    Guarantee you in 10 years he'll be remembered quicker than Brock or Ronda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Famous as Ronda supposedly is, people still spell her name wrong all the time :P

Brock is famous because of WWE.

Aldo is a legend of the sport, different kind of "big name"
    Guarantee you in 10 years he'll be remembered quicker than Brock or Ronda

In 10 years Also will be better remembered as a sporting legend than Ronda, Conor or others. His records dwarf's them all.

Conor will be lucky to defend a belt once, Never mind over 10 years.

• Advertisement

Aldo isn't, and never was a big draw, which is what was originally suggested! No casual would have ever heard of him only for McGregor!

How's that December 30th card looking now Marcus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement