Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

In 10 years Also will be better remembered as a sporting legend than Ronda, Conor or others. His records dwarf's them all.

Conor will be lucky to defend a belt once, Never mind over 10 years.

Aldo's highlight in 10 years time will be of him getting sparked in 13 seconds.

Conor's achievements already dwarf Jose's and he's still only 29.

Nobody cares about defences, just ask Mighty Mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ive been following Conor since befor his first cage warriors belt and while hes changed a lot in how he projects himself ive always felt happy for him but did we not get told that he'd do Croker if he gotvthe double belt. Joe Rogan said hed have the power tondonwhatever he wanted if he did the double and he clearly has. he got to fight a mental money exhibition match against a hero of his in a sport he dosent even partake in. i am well aware that croker has a night time rule and that if the fight ended at 12 that its only dinner time in vegas but would people not still buy to watch?

i know its dreamng but he said it and we laughed when he said he'd beat aldo or win a second belt or fight floyd and he did it. i mean as long as floyd didnt leave him dead or damqged i was happy but there was alway that suspicion that he could even have a hope.

So why is MSG on paddy days all we can hope for why not Croker
    Does anyone hold out hope that August next year he could headline the biggest attendance ever.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

and if he does fighn Diaz i hope its at 155. hes gonna start getting small if he moves uo to 170.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

As Helwani has said McGregor/Diaz on Paddy's day in New York is not a goer. Both the Knicks and the Nets are playing at home that day.

I think if McGregor in Croker is to happen it will only happen on his way out of the sport now, a swan song event for him.
    - Too much tax to pay
    - Not getting the US PPV audiences if you go with a local start time, would probably still out sell most other PPVs but wouldn't get his 1m+ buys
    - You go for a US PPV start and you get the locals to allow it you run into the first problem ..... too much tax to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

For Croke Park to happen, he'd need to be free of the UFC and getting a Floyd style split of the PPV and it to be PPV in England and Ireland. Whether it could be PPV in the US at breakfast im unsure (though most likely, but it would mean losing out on a huge amount of $60 buys).

Working on the basis that his last UFC/MMA cheque was around $20m - he could make that with UK and Eire PPV and a huge gate.

Someone like Joe Duffy would have been a possibility when he was a free agent recently. Avenge the L angle to sell it, he isnt a total can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Fromvert wrote: »
    I think if McGregor in Croker is to happen it will only happen on his way out of the sport now, a swan song event for him.

Conor won't be fighting in Ireland again unless it's a goodbye fight when he's at the tail end of a few losses. As long as he's competitive and a "name" he's fighting in Vegas or MSG. I don't think he'll ever fight outside of those two venues again.
    Tigger wrote: »
    and if he does fighn Diaz i hope its at 155. hes gonna start getting small if he moves uo to 170.

Why would it happen at anything other than 155? The only reason the first fight happened at 170 was because when they called Nate he was in Baja Cali on a boat eating Tacos and drinking Tequila 10 days before the fight so he asked for a 160 catch weight so he could actually spar for a week before cutting.

The only reason the second fight was at 170 was so conor and the UFC could keep selling the Nate Diaz is a 500lb monster lie.

Nate is a 155lb fighter. His entire career he has fought at 155 besides the odd excursion to 170 during eras when the UFC were being dickheads and not booking him at his prefered weight.

Why would a third fight with Nate happen at anything other than 155?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BTW, Don't take JK saying 219 is "off the cards" as gospel.

It's 92 days until December 30th, still plenty of time for Conor and Nate to squeeze as much as they can out of WME-IMG before they announce the headline bout for their end of year event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We were never told he'd do Cromer after the double. It's just not an option (licensing, curfew). Ironically, he'd probably could have done it had he lost to Mendes.

Aldo will go down as a legend of the sport. But he was never star or a draw. The burden of a lighter division. A few years ago people looked at 145 in sane light as 135 now. Progress is slow.

I wouldn't expect any announcement of Conor next fight until after 216

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

anybody else think the buzz around mcgregor has peaked for mma fans?

the interest to see how far he could rise in the ufc can go no further than the alvarez night for me
    from here it looks like the rest of his days will be just money fights again the biggest name
    defending belts and next in line challengers is second
    his rise was built on the nobody that became somebody and tore up the roster as the underdog
    now its just money money money , hype , bull**** fights and doing what he wants as hes the big draw
    will there ever be nights like the mendes fight again ?
    i cant see it - sure so what if he beats diaz again?
    this whole thing is turning me off the ufc and friends who have watched it for a long time are saying same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

sc86 wrote: »

the interest to see how far he could rise in the ufc can go no further than the alvarez night for me
    from here it looks like the rest of his days will be just money fights again the biggest name
    his rise was built on the nobody that became somebody and tore up the roster as the underdog
    now its just money money money , hype , bull**** fights and doing what he wants as hes the big draw
    for sure he will still be the biggest draw but will there ever be nights like the mendes fight again?

I'd agree to a certain degree.

I'll still be mad excited for his fights and cheering him on but the constant money talk and photos of boats is mundane.

The Mendes fight will always be my highlight I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

sc86 wrote:

Yep. Definitely from me anyway. Only way he could top the Alvarez fight is by going for Woodley at 170, a big ask I know, but getting bored of him and the "money mcgregor" persona now.

Very quite on social media lately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

mdwexford wrote:
    The Mendes fight will always be my highlight I'd say.

The most exciting sporting event of my life. Will never forget that night. Just got the goosebumps thinking about it. An I was only watching it on tv. Imagine being there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dont think he has reached his ceiling yet. If gsp gets the win over bisping then mcgregor v gsp will be huge

gsp is 36 years of age and has not fought in 4 years
    its not a man in his prime
    its just another money fight which kinda proves my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

its just another money fight which kinda proves my point

Yeah they seem to be focusing on money fights. JK said this the other day:
    "At this stage, I mention Diaz and people are shouting, ‘What about Khabib?’ or, ‘What about Tony?’… And there’s Kevin Lee and some other guys, (people say) ‘They’re due their shot,'” said Kavanagh.

Really, Conor doesn’t have to do that anymore. He won the featherweight belt, interim and unified. He won the lightweight belt. At this stage he’s only doing fights because they’re fun. A big fight build-up and to win that — that will do for me anyway.”"

Oh. I see. The fact Ferguson, Khabib, Lee are "due a shot" is meaningless to JK because Conor doesn't have to defend titles because he won them?!

Here was me thinking that champions defended their titles. Also, I seem to recall after UFC 178 when Conor flattened Dustin and when he was absolutely NOT next in line, JK went around everywhere telling people Conor is "due a shot":

https://www.mmafighting.com/2014/10/5/6888591/john-kavanaugh-it-should-be-conor-thats-next-in-line-for-a-title-shot

The irony of it all. If Andre Pederneiras came out with a comment in 2015 saying "Jose fights for fun, he doesn't have to defend his title", the first person to call for Jose being stripped would have been John. So when his own fighter is about to be stripped for wanting fun fights you'd think JK would be cool with it...

Oh wait:

JK "very disappointed" with Conor being stripped of his featherweight belt, makes a case why he should have kept it.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/29/13776510/john-kavanagh-very-disappointed-with-how-ufc-stripped-conor-mcgregor

Conor has had more role than anyone in the devaluation of the UFC title. He has directly/indirectly been involved in the introduction of 3 interim titles. And yet here we have JK mocking the UFC for interim titles, after proudly celebrating Conor's??

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/833555130624724993

The stunning lack of self-awareness and hypocrisy is off-the-charts. If Conor just wants money fights that's absolutely fine, nobody will complain if he drops the title and puts on barn-stormers with Nate or GSP. Hell I could even see a WWE-style scenario where Conor beats Nate 2-1 to settle the feud and Nick's music comes on and he runs to the cage to "cut a promo" vowing vengeance.

I don't say this with any animosity (more sadness) but I listened very keenly to what JK and Owen Roddy said this week and I concluded they are in the Conor-bubble developing a God-complex where they are talking like they are bigger than the UFC, where "they" = Conor too. That may well be the truth right now but it's really sad to hear them both talk like that.

Worse, their analysis of the Mayweather fight showed a shocking lack of objectivity and self-awareness - to the point that Paulie Malignaggi is starting to look reasonable when he calls them "yes-men only interested in the money".

Making Paulie look like the voice of reason is not an easy feat :pac:

Conor doesn't have to defend a belt, that much is obvious, but JK would do well to remember where he was 3 years ago begging for a title shot for Conor saying he was "due it". Now that Conor's the champion, the belt is meaningless apparently. I've no doubt within the next 2 years James or Gunni (God willing) will put on a run of victories and JK will be calling for title-shots.

The hypocrisy is a symptom emblematic of the Conor-bubble, the only one anywhere close to him who has maintained who they are is Gunni.

Everyone else involved with Conor is getting gradually more unlikable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

will there ever be nights like the mendes fight again ?
    this whole thing is turning me off the ufc and friends who have watched it for a long time are saying same
    Yeah and whatever about Conor but imo they are doing a lot of long term damage to the UFC itself, they are devaluing their belts and ethos to make a quick buck. If Conor decided he doesn't want to fight anymore, which he has often stated they'd be ****ed. When you look at the PPV buys for non- Conor and Ronda events it doesn't look like they've attracted many 'casuals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

As a huge McGregor fan, as much as I love watching him fight I've grown bored of his antics out of the octagon and don't feel that nervous energy I used to get like before Mendes or Aldo. The belts mean nothing now because of this **** and everyone thinks they have a shot at challenging for any belt eg. Cody, Bisping.

I look forward to fighters like cormier and match ups like Ferguson and Lee. Sooner McGregor decides to retire and focus on fashion and boats the better!

i would imagine this general feeling with fans is spreading
    also very surprised with jk take on things
    are they forgetting where they came from?
    amazing what money does to people
    hopefully a new star comes along soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Obviously hasnt peaked if theres people tonight in Glasgow paying a fortune to spend an hour with him in a massive room, should get some quotes tonight about his future, Kimmage was right in calling McGregor out over his post fight antics arriving in a suit trying to promote his whiskey it was cheap and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In reality he probably has only began peaking. He may have turned off early fans, but he had a few million fresh eyes on him for Mayweather fight. That'll translate to the UFC. Money fights are annoying, but at the same time, that's all he's ever cared about, so it shouldn't be surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭robwen

Is the Glasgow event available to watch online tonight, youtube etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Carroller wrote: »
    As a huge McGregor fan, as much as I love watching him fight I've grown bored of his antics out of the octagon and don't feel that nervous energy I used to get like before Mendes or Aldo. The belts mean nothing now because of this **** and everyone thinks they have a shot at challenging for any belt eg. Cody, Bisping.

I look forward to fighters like cormier and match ups like Ferguson and Lee. Sooner McGregor decides to retire and focus on fashion and boats the better!

Funnily enough as a huge McGregor fan I wouldn't be all that up to speed on his antics out of the octagon......surely you have to go searching for it in the first place to be bored of it........I look forward to his next fight the same as I did against the like of Mendes or Aldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gamebred wrote: »
    Obviously hasnt peaked if theres people tonight in Glasgow paying a fortune to spend an hour with him in a massive room, should get some quotes tonight about his future, Kimmage was right in calling McGregor out over his post fight antics arriving in a suit trying to promote his whiskey it was cheap and unnecessary.

peaked for mma fans
    not for mcgregor fanboys who started watching 2 years ago

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is that a boxing ring for the Glasgow thing :confused::rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/PetesyCarroll/status/913865851798990849

Now if the winner of that fight doesn't go on a McGregor diss rant straight after, they are absolute fools whether they believe it's the right thing to do or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I've pieced together what I can find from social media on tonights interview, here are the main bullet points:

Conor praised: Eddie Alvarez, Justin Gaethje, Max Holloway, Lorenzo Fertitta, Michael Bisping, the UFC.

Conor slated: Stephen Espinoza, Showtime, Paulie Malignaggi, Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee, Adalaide Byrd, GSP.

He threw in a load of questionable comments:

"Floyd would have been by far the easiest match of my career if I had a better camp"
    "I outboxed Floyd until I got tired"
    "I'd win the rematch comfortably"
    "Poor stoppage by the ref"

He said he's open to matches with Max Holloway and Khabib next year but will see what "these two fools (Lee/Ferg) do this weekend" (it's not this weekend).

He will fight December 30th if he doesn't have to cut weight or do media obligations, so basically a welterweight fight is all he's open to this year.

A couple moments of raw honesty - feels he "sort of sold-out" by going over to boxing and is excited to be able to kick people in the face again. His contract for the Floyd fight had a $10 million fine for every "UFC move".

He says he will not go to Hollywood until career is over and Conor Jr. will be raised as a fighter extremely skilled in martial arts.

He said he feels Nate will "price himself out" of the trilogy looking for mad money so he's not banking on that being next.

TL;DR - He hasn't a clue what he's doing next, has a ton of respect for Max Holloway and still thinks he's a better boxer than Floyd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

So is he definitely fighting the 30th? How does he still have the first belt? Who is the next opponent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I love Conor, but perhaps next time don't go on a bender in a treehouse in Liverpool for a month before camp and then complain about cardio or getting tired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement