Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I like Tony as a fighter but how bad is his trash talk ,he's like the douche bag in an 80's high school movie,

haha absolutely spot on. But i do like his trash talk for that reason, it's cheesy but he has enough conviction and eccentricity to just about pull it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I like Tony as a fighter but how bad is his trash talk ,he's like the douche bag in an 80's high school movie,

haha absolutely spot on. But i do like his trash talk for that reason, it's cheesy but he has enough conviction and eccentricity to just about pull it off.
    Its the reason I love to see him interviewed,
    Its mad he totally believes what he's saying and isn't trying to be odd its just him , I love the way the other fighters don't really know what to make of his trash talk he's just a quirky dude,
    I can only imagine the conversation's he has with Eddie bravo I'd say there out there,
     i'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I only watched the Ferguson - Lee fight last night. I'm far from one of the Conor Fanboys but I think Conor wins inside two rounds. Ferguson's chin is just far too exposed

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

I only watched the Ferguson - Lee fight last night. I'm far from one of the Conor Fanboys but I think Conor wins inside two rounds. Ferguson's chin is just far too exposed

Id fancy Conor but thats as maybe but not all chins crumble like Nates, Maxs and Floyds.

Theres a clear blueprint for McGregor now, weather the storm and let him gass. And thats forgetting Tonys likely superiority on the floor.

Its an intriguing fight, one all hardcores would prefer over Diaz. And Tony has fcking earnt that payday. His win streak in such a stacked division and willingness to take all comers (take note Nate) means he's the man as far as I'm concerned.

McGregor sells vs anyone and the Diaz trilogy is always there.

And he's a genuine eccentric, as other posters have mentioned its natural rather than forced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I dont think Conor could wind him up pre fight hes too far gone in the head to care about egos in front of media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Despite the nonsense spoken here last week about Diaz, Ferguson is Conors easiest challenge right now, Khabib will also be easy work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Despite the nonsense spoken here last week about Diaz, Ferguson is Conors easiest challenge right now, Khabib will also be easy work

That gave me a good laugh. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

martyos121 wrote: »
    That gave me a good laugh. :D

it's true, cos he'll injure himself a week before the fight and pull out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

None of those 3 fights are easy by any means....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I really disagree. I don't think most were saying Diaz is an easy fight but he is absolutely beatable. If Conor just keeps it standing, stick and moves and manages his cardio like that last fight then he can take the win. Obviously there's always the risk of Conor properly gassing and getting TKO'd or subbed, but can't imagine he'd easily let that happen next time.

Khabib and Tony both have unknown factors so I think its a bit pre-emptive to say either are easy. Both take strikes in order to implement their game sure, but I don't think either has shown that they're overly chinny. Both of their ground games are way more aggressive than Nates. Khabib could easily bull through Conors opening salvo, get him to the ground and then pummel him to death. I'm sure Tony could also possibly survive the first couple of rounds and then step it up when Conor starts to slow his pace. That's when Tony will start salsa dancing, getting into this flow and eventually sinking a choke in.

Of course I don't think these fights aren't winnable for Conor, but like the above poster said, none of the three are "easy".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

We're 12 weeks out from the end of December and he's still in party mode on a boat.

I doubt he's fighting this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We're 12 weeks out from the end of December and he's still in party mode on a boat.

I doubt he's fighting this side of Christmas.

Yeah don't see him fighting until early 2018. And probably closer to March than January.

No UFC fighter has ever had this amount of leverage before. He can do what he wants. The UFC desperately needs his PPV drawing ability because all their big stars are either gone or have ****ed up like Jon Jones.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Apparently in April we'll see him in a square ring. Not MMA, not Boxing but wrestling for the WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Boom_Bap wrote:
    Apparently in April we'll see him in a square ring. Not MMA, not Boxing but wrestling for the WWE.

Same as the last 2 years yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yeah don't see him fighting until early 2018. And probably closer to March than January.

No UFC fighter has ever had this amount of leverage before. He can do what he wants. The UFC desperately needs his PPV drawing ability because all their big stars are either gone or have ****ed up like Jon Jones.

What about this boards old pal Nate Diaz ......has he fought twice in 3 yrs? or 3 times in 4?? ....shows no interest in fighting anyone else yet it's very possible his next fight could be for the 155 belt?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What about this boards old pal Nate Diaz ......has he fought twice in 3 yrs? or 3 times in 4?? ....shows no interest in fighting anyone else yet it's very possible his next fight could be for the 155 belt?

You are quoting a comment about leverage, Nate has no leverage. What hold does he have over the UFC or what is he leveraging? Dana and Conor will decide if Nate gets that fight, he has no input into it and will demand big money yet take what hes given because its still a massive pay day for him. Conor hasnt defended his belts and pretty much decides who he fights and when and the UFC goes with it because he is there star draw. He fills arenas and the hype and build up is second to none. Thats leverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Axwell wrote: »
    You are quoting a comment about leverage, Nate has no leverage. What hold does he have over the UFC or what is he leveraging? Dana and Conor will decide if Nate gets that fight, he has no input into it and will demand big money yet take what hes given because its still a massive pay day for him. Conor hasnt defended his belts and pretty much decides who he fights and when and the UFC goes with it because he is there star draw. He fills arenas and the hype and build up is second to none. Thats leverage.

Money is Nates leverage.

He knows it will sell. So does ufc, so does conor.

And thats all they are about. Meritocracy is gone out the window, sadly

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Leverage suggests the person is in control of the situation..Nate is not in control of the situation. He will ask for some ridiculous amount of money and they will say nah, we will pay you X which is still plenty more than he has got before and he will accept it. When it comes to the 3 people involved and who is calling the shots..Dana, Conor and Nate, Nate is the bottom of the pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Axwell wrote: »
    Leverage suggests the person is in control of the situation..Nate is not in control of the situation. He will ask for some ridiculous amount of money and they will say nah, we will pay you X which is still plenty more than he has got before and he will accept it. When it comes to the 3 people involved and who is calling the shots..Dana, Conor and Nate, Nate is the bottom of the pile.

Ultimately i think mcgregor will decide

. But i think its fair to say a nate fight will make more money,.nate knows it, thats all ufc are interested in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Same as the last 2 years yeah..

I read that negotiations are close to being finalised....but can't for the life of me find the article now.

• Advertisement

Ultimately i think mcgregor will decide

. But i think its fair to say a nate fight will make more money,.nate knows it, thats all ufc are interested in.

As far as I remember, Dana was saying that he would do one for him, ie the Mayweather fight, then Conor has to do one for him. So I think that Dana is going to control what is happening for the next bout in the UFC.

Ferguson is a nightmare for Conor. I don't think Conor will put him away early he's to tuff,
    Ferguson is a better version of Diaz
    Conor is a better striker but he will gas and get choked again,
    He doesn't live his life like a top athlete should and it'll come back to haunt him,

Ferguson is a nightmare for Conor. I don't think Conor will put him away early he's to tuff,
    He doesn't live his life like a top athlete should and it'll come back to haunt him,

Ferguson leaves himself too open for shots. Luckily he can take a shot, but if he stands up to Conor, I wouldn't have much hope for him.
    On the ground though, I think we'd have to see Conor work hard in Jui Jitsu to escape...but the problem is getting Conor on the ground.

With all that, I'd favour Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They are similar, but it's not exactly true. Diaz is the much better boxer. Better understanding of range. Ferguson has better offensive BJJ (not even sure on this one, they are both dangerous. Feruguson leaves his chin a good bit more open, he also gets wobbled easier.

I think Ferguson is probably the more rounded mixed martial artist though, he puts his styles together better, similar difficulty opponents though for Conor. I think Khabib is a much tougher matchup, cos there is no doubt what he's gonna go in there and do. I know Ferugson has got a decent wrestling background but so far we haven't seen it in fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Diaz/Ferguson is a fight I'd love to see. Think they match up well.
    Kind of similar fighters, give Diaz the edge with his hands and Tony the edge with his wrestling.

The McGregor/Diaz fight can happen anytime. I want the Ferguson fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Lukker- wrote: »
    Ferugson has got a decent wrestling background but so far we haven't seen it in fights.

Have we not? He was able to resist some of Lee's takedowns using defensive wrestling and he got a nice takedown or two on Barboza if I remember correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Ferguson's chin, while perhaps not of Diaz stature, is considerable. He took some serious smacks from Barbosa and marched forward - a head kick too, if I'm not mistaken.

Also note his pressure style of fighting and willingness to engage. OK, perhaps leaves him open, but should he survive Conor's early output you can see the potential problems...Tony's cardio is also unquestionable.

That being said, I'm guessing both Conor's camp and Conor have Diaz in their scope, however. I just get a sense from their interviews of late that he's the preference. More money and a known quantity. Then it'll be GSP. Both likely bring more revenue than Tony and let's not kid ourselves that Dana cares about what the right fight to make is. Personally, I'd love to see him vs Tony.

Ferguson's chin, while perhaps not of Diaz stature, is considerable. He took some serious smacks from Barbosa and marched forward - a head kick too, if I'm not mistaken.

Also note his pressure style of fighting and willingness to engage. OK, perhaps leaves him open, but should he survive Conor's early output you can see the potential problems...Tony's cardio is also unquestionable.

That being said, I'm guessing both Conor's camp and Conor have Diaz in their scope, however. I just get a sense from their interviews of late that he's the preference. More money and a known quantity. Then it'll be GSP. Both likely bring more revenue than Tony and let's not kid ourselves that Dana cares about what the right fight to make is. Personally, I'd love to see him vs Tony.
    I don't think Tonys cardio is questionable at all, he always gets better the longer the fight goes, Conor's cardio won't stand up to Ferguson and I think he's to tuff for Conor to stop early, I just can't see Conor knocking him out and I think that's his only chance,
    I think Tony's right ,there's a reason Conor has never spoke about him ,

I don't think Tonys cardio is questionable at all, he always gets better the longer the fight goes, Conor's cardio won't stand up to Ferguson and I think he's to tuff for Conor to stop early, I just can't see Conor knocking him out and I think that's his only chance,
    I think Tony's right ,there's a reason Conor has never spoke about him ,

There's nothing Tony has that he wants :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Conor finishes Tony in the first.

Tony has been rocked by Vannata, Barboza & Lee (Can't remember if Dos Anjos did too), the problem with them was it was all one shots and they didn't connect with their follow ups. I see Conor connecting early and having the patience and accuracy to follow up and put him away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement