Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Lukker- wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/918872736310681600

Looks like it is a call out. Imo McGregor was alluding to the fact that Tony repeatedly says Conor never says his name. (I don't think he mentioned Eddie's name once before 205 was announced)

Woo hoo!! Best news ever, lads that fight will be the fight to end all fights. I know stepping up to fight Eddie was big at the time but for me with hindsight Conor’s a bigger lightweight than Eddie and it was far too easy on the night for Conor, Tony is pretty much the same height and reach and has plenty of skills, think it could get proper messy with each of them winning rounds and going the distance, might see some of Conor’s ground game and hopefully be pleasantly surprised but I’ll enjoy the build up and the fight far more than the boxing stuff which was fairly tedious after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Looks like it is a call out. Imo McGregor was alluding to the fact that Tony repeatedly says Conor never says his name. (I don't think he mentioned Eddie's name once before 205 was announced)

Feel thick for not getting that aspect of it. As Ariel says you can clearly tell he watches everything. His sh!t talk is often well researched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Thanks for linking that. I laughed my ass off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rumours hes in talk with paulie for a return to boxing. If true then perhaps he does fear tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Conor said himself after the Flyod fight that he has problems with cardio and he doesn't;t know why,  No way does he want Tony, Ferguson will not be out away and in round 4/5 only gets going ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Conor said himself after the Flyod fight that he has problems with cardio and he doesn't;t know why,  No way does he want Tony, Ferguson will not be out away and in round 4/5 only gets going ,

Well to be fair no one was going to step into their first ever pro boxing bout with the endurance to go 12 three minute rounds with one of the best ever. Boxing conditioning and MMA conditioning are very different.

Tony would absolutely have the advantage in the later rounds but Conor has proven he can stay active over most of 5 rounds. I seriously seriously doubt his or Tony's cardio levels will factor in to whether he wants that fight or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tony has been in Rd 4 once in 14 UFC fights.
    Conor has been in Rd 4 once in 10 UFC fights.

Tony landing 40 out of 83 (48%)
    Conor landed 46 out of 76 (60%)

Tony threw a bit more, Conor landed a bit more. Conor had higher accuracy.
    Overall there's not much to suggest that Conor will be swamped by Tony's pace

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Mellor wrote: »
    Tony has been in Rd 4 once in 14 UFC fights.
    Conor has been in Rd 4 once in 10 UFC fights.

Tony landing 40 out of 83 (48%)
    Conor landed 46 out of 76 (60%)

Tony threw a bit more, Conor landed a bit more. Conor had higher accuracy.
    Overall there's not much to suggest that Conor will be swamped by Tony's pace

Stats dont tell the full story and you know it Mellor, Ferguson is on another planet cardio wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think most will concede that Conor's best chance is likely early on. Fourth round stats only matter if you make it there. I personally think there are two distortions or untruths being flouted in respect of this potential matchup:

1: That Conor's cardio is terrible. His conditioning might not be the best of the best/ is genetically more given to fast twitch/ explosive movements etc, but the Mayweather fight is a misrepresentation of it.

2: That Tony's chin is problematic. I'd say Tony's chin is better than good.

I think these variables are what makes this fight such an exciting match-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Why does Conor hold his child like this all the time? It's very unusual

41C17AF200000578-0-image-a-21_1498431141721.jpg

I think most will concede that Conor's best chance is likely early on. Fourth round stats only matter if you make it there. I personally think there are two distortions or untruths being flouted in respect of this potential matchup:

1: That Conor's cardio is terrible. His conditioning might not be the best of the best/ is genetically more given to fast twitch/ explosive movements etc, but the Mayweather fight is a misrepresentation of it.

2: That Tony's chin is problematic. I'd say Tony's chin is better than good.

I think these variables are what makes this fight such an exciting match-up.

I'd agree with this but Conor has himself admitted he has some sort of cardio problem so its not just the fans claiming hes a suspect gas tank, everyone is going to be tired 15 and 20 minutes into a fight but he does look like hes ran 20 miles after a solid 8 or 9 minutes of fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gamebred wrote: »
    Stats dont tell the full story and you know it Mellor, Ferguson is on another planet cardio wise.
    I wasn't saying their cardio abilities are equal. I'm saying the idea that "Tony only gets going in the 4th" is a fabrication. He's been in the championship rounds once, he didn't particularly get going. Or if it is true, we at least haven't seen it.

It's as much a negative as a positive though. Conor's had 10 round 1's in the UFC, and they've all been dominant. If ever there was a fighter you don't want to start slow against its Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

10th planet......

ill get my coat....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That's how i hold my 14month old when i carry her, Wife says it looks like she's a rugby ball and that so long as i don't drop kick her i'm grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,648 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He doesn't want baby dribble on his gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Baby is gonna have a strong neck anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Really hope he doesn't go up against Paulie next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Expecting my first in 5 weeks and went to one of those ''what its like to have a baby'' courses on a Saturday morning and the midwife explained it one of the safest ways to hold your child and comforting for the father. Had a practice on a weird doll and it felt safe as could be, and i see people hold there baby like that all the time.

That being said Conor's technique is off, his arm way outstretched, like that he would be lucky to make 3 of 5 rounds of to the car and back, never mind 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

D.Q wrote: »
    Really hope he doesn't go up against Paulie next

I will lose all respect for the man if its true.

After the ****show that was mayweather vs mcgregor i never want to see him in a boxing ring again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Maybe he’s just working on his bicep curls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

ricero wrote: »
    I will lose all respect for the man if its true.

After the ****show that was mayweather vs mcgregor i never want to see him in a boxing ring again

I'd eat my hat if that happened. Genuinely no one wants to see it.

I'd eat my hat if that happened. Genuinely no one wants to see it.

You'd be surprised, McGregor cares about cash at this stage nothing else,hence he wont be fighting Ferguson next.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

You'd be surprised, McGregor cares about cash at this stage nothing else,hence he wont be fighting Ferguson next.

Disagree, tbh.

It's obviously a big deal for him, but after the Mayweather fight, I don't think it's the be all and end all. He's a competitor at the end of the day.

Disagree, tbh.

It's obviously a big deal for him, but after the Mayweather fight, I don't think it's the be all and end all. He's a competitor at the end of the day.

He does not give a **** about belts and lineage, and I dont blame him either but he needs to be stripped if he hasnt a fight booked in the next 2 weeks imo.

He does not give a **** about belts and lineage, and I dont blame him either but he needs to be stripped if he hasnt a fight booked in the next 2 weeks imo.

Tony Ferguson is the real champion, he has a crazy win streak in the LW division. Conor has beat 1 person at LW in UFC in Alvarez, who has some questionable decision wins and beat Dos Anjos after a bad weight cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tony Ferguson is the real champion, he has a crazy win streak in the LW division. Conor has beat 1 person at LW in UFC in Alvarez, who has some questionable decision wins and beat Dos Anjos after a bad weight cut.

His win streak has been against 'making up the numbers' fighters in the division for the most part ....Lee and RDA the standouts, the latter by decision....McGregor ko'd the man who ko'd the man, he's the real LW Champion all the rest is waffle

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement