Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Show us evidence of a head coach missing one of his fighters fights headlining a ufc event to attend a book signing holiday..

Where did I say book signing holiday?

Lets see if Greg Jackson or Mike Winkeljohn make the trip for Cowboy at Gdansk at the weekend.

So melodramatic in here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lukker- wrote: »
    Show us evidence of a head coach missing one of his fighters fights headlining a ufc event to attend a book signing holiday..

Where did I say book signing holiday?

Lets see if Greg Jackson or Mike Winkeljohn make the trip for Cowboy at Gdansk at the weekend.

So melodramatic in here
    Greg Jackson and Winklejohn have dozens of guys in the UFC, and Cowboy fights 4 or 5 times a year. This was Artem's first and probably only UFC main event. I don't know Artem personally but I imagine he was disappointed that JK wasn't in his corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

That's debatable. Top 1% measured how?

Wait, so you at least concede that it is debatable that they are top 1% but you still think they are mediocre? Flip flop much?? Or do you just have crazy high standards??

Even from a totally objective point of view their achievements dwarf those of 99.9% of MMA gyms. There are probably thousands of MMA teams across the globe. A few dozen at most would have experienced success on the scale SBG have in the last 5 years.

Even excluding Lobov and Ward they have 4 entirely homegrown fighters that have gotten to the UFC. Then you have the likes of Amirkhani and Nelson as well. This is from one team that’s based in a relatively small city compared to most European cities. That’s far from mediocre. That is a very successful team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dulux99 wrote: »
    Really?
    Well yeah. Is that not really obvious?
    Most coaches have a background in one aspect of fighting or another. It makes sense to pick a coach that's best suited to a particular fight, rather than the gym hierarchy (which is often just business).
    For example, John was slated for being in the Floyd corner, yet if he missed a striker v striker match in the octagon, it looks like he's be slated. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

You said it was arrogant to miss it. I'm of the opinion that arrogance is thinking your the best coach for every situation.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Wait, so you at least concede that it is debatable that they are top 1% but you still think they are mediocre? Flip flop much?? Or do you just have crazy high standards??
    'Thats debatable' means that I disagree (that they are in the top 1%) but am willing to listen to your argument.
    Even from a totally objective point of view their achievements dwarf those of 99.9% of MMA gyms. There are probably thousands of MMA teams across the globe. A few dozen at most would have experienced success on the scale SBG have in the last 5 years.

Even excluding Lobov and Ward they have 4 entirely homegrown fighters that have gotten to the UFC. Then you have the likes of Amirkhani and Nelson as well. This is from one team that’s based in a relatively small city compared to most European cities. That’s far from mediocre. That is a very successful team.

There are 565 fighters in the UFC currently and the number of fighters who can claim to have 'been in the UFC' since it's inception (ie one fight or more) is in the thousands.

I also believe it's fair to say that several of the SBG fighters were signed as a favor to Conor, or in order to bundle some token Irish onto Conor's cards. Rather than based on merit. In a world without Conor, most of those guys never see the inside of an octagon. Harsh but true.

Therefore merely having 6 guys who were at one time or another signed to the UFC is nothing to shout home about. In any case I don't agree with your criteria for top gym.

In my opinion a top gym is one that consistently produces high quality and high-ranked pro fighters. The gym overall has a good W:L record. Fighters who join show a marked improvement in some areas of their fighting (implying top coaching). Top pros seek out the gym because they believe they can improve there.

SBG doesn't tick those boxes imo. We might as well be saying Glendale is one of the best gyms because of how dominant Rousey was.

• Advertisement

Greg Jackson and Winklejohn have dozens of guys in the UFC, and Cowboy fights 4 or 5 times a year. This was Artem's first and probably only UFC main event. I don't know Artem personally but I imagine he was disappointed that JK wasn't in his corner.
    His point was it happens all the time as people were saying that no head coach would ever miss a fight. That claim was a stretch imo.
    Maybe Artem had an issue with it, entirely his prerogative. But I didn't see anything to suggest he did. And seems like people are just assuming, he did to stick the boot in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Lukker- wrote: »

The whole post just comes off as pseudo outrage tbh, sounds like it belongs on Joe Duffy.

And speaking of Joe Duffy, Firas Zahabi definitely wasn't in his corner for at least one of his fights since he's been a full time tristar fighter. Don't remember there being such a big outcry then though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

'Thats debatable' means that I disagree (that they are in the top 1%) but am willing to listen to your argument.

There are 565 fighters in the UFC currently and the number of fighters who can claim to have 'been in the UFC' since it's inception (ie one fight or more) is in the thousands.

I also believe it's fair to say that several of the SBG fighters were signed as a favor to Conor, or in order to bundle some token Irish onto Conor's cards. Rather than based on merit. In a world without Conor, most of those guys never see the inside of an octagon. Harsh but true.

Therefore merely having 6 guys who were at one time or another signed to the UFC is nothing to shout home about. In any case I don't agree with your criteria for top gym.

In my opinion a top gym is one that consistently produces high quality and high-ranked pro fighters. The gym overall has a good W:L record. Fighters who join show a marked improvement in some areas of their fighting (implying top coaching). Top pros seek out the gym because they believe they can improve there.

SBG doesn't tick those boxes imo. We might as well be saying Glendale is one of the best gyms because of how dominant Rousey was.

Ireland is a tiny country with a very small pool of fighters. Much harder for sbg to attract fighters than the big gyms in the US. Favours to Conor or not, we have definitely overachieved in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

qwabercd wrote:
    Ireland is a tiny country with a very small pool of fighters. Much harder for sbg to attract fighters than the big gyms in the US. Favours to Conor or not, we have definitely overachieved in MMA.

spot on. what sbg has achieved in a small country like Ireland on the very fringes of the MMA scene is amazing.

That's a fair enough criteria. But that's for the best of the best.
    Top 1% is probably a lot of gyms given the sheer number around the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Arbitrary yes, but based on the croke park snaps on Instagram I'd say Conor is still out of camp and letting loose a little...

Arbitrary yes, but based on the croke park snaps on Instagram I'd say Conor is still out of camp and letting loose a little...
    Why do you say letting loose?
    Looks like some promo for BetSafe. They've sponsored him for a while afaik.

Roddy mentioned this week that Conor is back in the gym but not yet in camp for the next fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

How is him being down in croke park with his child letting loose? Roddy said he was back training last week. I don't think any camp us started, when his next fight is happening still hasn't been determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mellor wrote: »
    Well yeah. Is that not really obvious?
    Most coaches have a background in one aspect of fighting or another. It makes sense to pick a coach that's best suited to a particular fight, rather than the gym hierarchy (which is often just business).
    For example, John was slated for being in the Floyd corner, yet if he missed a striker v striker match in the octagon, it looks like he's be slated. Seems a bit inconsistent to me.

You said it was arrogant to miss it. I'm of the opinion that arrogance is thinking your the best coach for every situation.

I don't understand this narrative that Lobov had to seemingly choose between Roddy and JK. He had Queally, Roddy and JK in his corner for the fili fight just now. It's not like he was going into a K1 fight, John is still his MMA head coach. I also have no issue with John being in Conors corner for the Floyd fight. Coaches are in corners for both technical and moral support. Familiarity is a huge thing for these guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Very buzzed there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ref had to stop the fight to tell him to sit down. Can't handle his liquor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

bur wrote: »
    Ref had to stop the fight to tell him to sit down. Can't handle his liquor at all.

He would have been the same sober, that's just his nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Back in training for what exactly!?

Remake of scarface is happening soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

McGregor making a tit of himself again unfortunately. He’s locked. UFC Europe posted a clip backstage of him calling Fili a f**got. He does make it hard to be a fan sometimes.

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    McGregor making a tit of himself again unfortunately. He’s locked. UFC Europe posted a clip backstage of him calling Fili a f**got. He does make it hard to be a fan sometimes.
    I saw that alright.

Doesn't play any part of Artem's camp, shows up locked, tries to shout last minute tactical advice at the corner and then comes out with these slurs instead of giving Fili props for being the better guy on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I saw that alright.

Doesn't play any part of Artem's camp, shows up locked, tries to shout last minute tactical advice at the corner and then comes out with these slurs instead of giving Fili props for being the better guy on the night.

It wasn't even last minute he could be heard all during the first round, he was a fourth man in Artem's corner. And what a stupid thing to say about Fili, I can't believe UFC posted that clip given that it's Mcgregor and after Werdum's gay slurs a few weeks ago.

cliggg wrote: »
    It wasn't even last minute he could be heard all during the first round, he was a fourth man in Artem's corner. And what a stupid thing to say about Fili, I can't believe UFC posted that clip given that it's Mcgregor and after Werdum's gay slurs a few weeks ago.

Its alright, Bisping got away with it because he said "In my country it doesn't have the same meaning as in the USA"

Conor can just claim the same thing. Werdum said "Maricon" there is no denying that that means, Conor can just play it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Its alright, Bisping got away with it because he said "In my country it doesn't have the same meaning as in the USA"

Conor can just claim the same thing. Werdum said "Maricon" there is no denying that that means, Conor can just play it off.

True. It doesn't even make sense though. He was referring to Fili constantly taking him down in rd 3 because he was tired. He could even be heard shouting "he doesn't want to fight" during the round. The guy nearly knocked Artem out with a headkick! If the guy is a "f*ggot" then that "f*ggot" just beat the guy your trying to console! Literally makes no sense at all

cliggg wrote: »
    True. It doesn't even make sense though. He was referring to Fili constantly taking him down in rd 3 because he was tired. He could even be heard shouting "he doesn't want to fight" during the round. The guy nearly knocked Artem out with a headkick! If the guy is a "f*ggot" then that "f*ggot" just beat the guy your trying to console! Literally makes no sense at all

Conor is drunk and looks high, he is obviously just talking sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's the clip of the ref telling him to sit down.

https://twitter.com/AhmarSKhan/status/921854273310294016

He's some knacker..all the money in the world won't buy him class..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

He's some knacker..all the money in the world won't buy him class..

Good thing that's not what he wants money for then.

I don't understand this narrative that Lobov had to seemingly choose between Roddy and JK. He had Queally, Roddy and JK in his corner for the fili fight just now. It's not like he was going into a K1 fight, John is still his MMA head coach. I also have no issue with John being in Conors corner for the Floyd fight. Coaches are in corners for both technical and moral support. Familiarity is a huge thing for these guys.
    Who said he had to choose?
    Of course the corner can be purely for mora support. But not the lead cornerma obviously.
    He could of absolutely had John there for moral support in addition to Owen taking the lead. No arguement there.
    I just dont get the the pseudo-outrage on Artem's behalf. AsI said, I think people are just assuming he was upset about it as it suits their agenda. Where as people who would probably know suggested it wasn't an issue - but maybe they are lying.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

.ak wrote: »
    Good thing that's not what he wants money for then.

This a strange comment in defence of someone who just made a homophobic slur :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement