Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Faugheen wrote: »
    This a strange comment in defence of someone who just made a homophobic slur :confused:

Defending McGregor on something totally different doesn’t mean the poster was condoning his homophobic slur. Stop stirring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The outraged brigade are outraged again.

Poor souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Poor souls.

Its ruined a lot of peoples Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

This a strange comment in defence of someone who just made a homophobic slur :confused:

Keep clutching there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Poor souls.

I’m not outraged I just think it’s a horrible word to use. You keep fighting those pesky pc liberals though. Fighting the good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,702 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Not the first time he's been shown to be a bigot. He should have a bit more common sense when in public surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Not the first time he's been shown to be a bigot. He should have a bit more common sense when in public surely.

Horrible word to use but I don’t think it makes him a bigot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

He was very public in his support of the same sex marriage referendum few years ago so I don't think he's homophobic. A bad choice of words alright but you can call someone a ****** without actually meaning anything about gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

He was very public in his support of the same sex marriage referendum few years ago so I don't think he's homophobic. A bad choice of words alright but you can call someone a ****** without actually meaning anything about gay.

That's not what was said about Floyd Mayweather when he said it, but it's different now, I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

cloudatlas wrote: »
    That's not what was said about Floyd Mayweather when he said it, but it's different now, I understand.

What about Bisping?

Lukker- wrote: »
    What about Bisping?

Don't know what he said, I don't personally feel that homophobia or the perpetuation of homophobic statements have any place in sport. Plus it's worse because he supported marriage equality then comes out with the slur. Voting for marriage equality doesn't give anyone a free pass for life from making such statements in my book anyway. A lot of celebrities only began to support marriage equality a long way down the road when it was 'safe' to do so and was not considered radical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

When mayweather said it same reaction from me as now: meh. Lads going out to knock each other's heads off and if you want to get to an opponent the natural option is to emasculate him, especially if yer in the trash talk game. ****** is the same as calling a guy a bitch imo. Doesn't mean ye hate women.

When mayweather said it same reaction from me as now: meh. Lads going out to knock each other's heads off and if you want to get to an opponent the natural option is to emasculate him, especially if yer in the trash talk game. ****** is the same as calling a guy a bitch imo. Doesn't mean ye hate women.

Conor said in the back to his team mate about an opponent who just beat him,this was also an acceptable context?

Look we are just going to have to agree to disagree here, I think it's a homophobic slur you think it is harmless trash talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Whatever about the 'slur', the rights and wrongs of it are for another conversation, but as someone above said, how was that speech going to cheer artem up? "hey artem the guy that just beat the snot out of you is a lesser man than you and I!"

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lukker- wrote: »
    What about Bisping?

'What about this, what about that'

What about Conor? I feel the same way about anyone saying it.

It's 2017. It's time slurs like that were taken out of everyday language.

'They're boxing the heads off each other' - don't care, respect everyone outside of it. Just because they're in compat sports doesn't give anyone a right to be an arsehole and to use slurs like that.

And I know he was in favour of the marriage equality referendum, which makes his comment even more stupid.

But once again though people will defend him. It's not ok to say things like that.

But hey, I'm just the pc brigade because I think the word '******' is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Trawls back to find the outrage when Mayweather called McGregor 'f-gg-t' at the Wembley presser in front of possibly millions .........nope can't find alot

There's alot to be found when McGregor used the word 'boy' in Toronto tho .......guess that's just how it is

'What about this, what about that'

What about Conor? I feel the same way about anyone saying it.

It's 2017. It's time slurs like that were taken out of everyday language.

'They're boxing the heads off each other' - don't care, respect everyone outside of it. Just because they're in compat sports doesn't give anyone a right to be an arsehole and to use slurs like that.

And I know he was in favour of the marriage equality referendum, which makes his comment even more stupid.

But once again though people will defend him. It's not ok to say things like that.

But hey, I'm just the pc brigade because I think the word '******' is wrong.

I agree totally with what you are saying. But I'm also a hypocrite, I would never use that language sober, but I've prob said worse when inebriated.

Slurs like that are still engrained in people's brain, even though most people would never use that in their daily vocabulary, even when riled, but when your p*ssed often the baser part of the brain can take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Conor said in the back to his team mate about an opponent who just beat him,this was also an acceptable context?

Look we are just going to have to agree to disagree here, I think it's a homophobic slur you think it is harmless trash talk.

Interested would you see it as something noteworthy if he called him a bitch instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

TL;DR

James Kavanagh, August 2017:

"“I used to get elbows in the back or people would shout ‘f.aggot’ at me randomly. I felt mortified getting up and going to secondary school every day. I hated every minute of it. There was this guy in particular who bullied me the most. He was creative, inventing a new way every day to make me miserable. He would put little notes in my locker with nasty messages, graffiti the toilet cubicles and teacher’s desks with ‘James is a f.ag’ or when the class would be quiet he would shout: ‘James, are you gay? Come out!!!' All these things made me turn even more inside and as I thought there were no other gay people around, I felt really alone."

The above was written by John's brother, obviously.

Conor would do well to read that before throwing around words he doesn't "mean nothing by" (which he clearly didn't).

I know people like to think we live in an age of political correctness gone mad but the truth is words are the most important thing we own. Words can hurt, do hurt and can even kill. The right words at the right time can save someones life (I'll testify to that), the wrong words at any time (bullying) can end someones life.

Conor meant nothing by using that word. He probably meant something similar to other derogatory words like "twat, dope, tosser, wan*er," - any of those would probably have conveyed what he meant.

Sorry but that's not good enough. He said THAT word and as a society we should be far beyond "he meant nothing by it" as an excuse to defend needlessly offending people with casual insults.

Words matter. If he wouldn't use that word to describe James Kavanagh behind his back after a row, then he shouldn't use to describe Fili.

More to the point, what does it say to Artem Lobov (his supposed best mate) by telling him he just got slapped around by a "f.aggot"? Surely that's the last thing you'd want to tell a friend after they got comprehensively beaten - dropped, controlled and outclassed.

Unfortunately Conor has allowed fame to change how he talks to people. I'm alluding to small things like the video where he shouted across a busy restaurant "Hurry up with that steak!" or the recent video in Maxol where he basically told the guy behind the counter to hurry the Fk up or last night where he strolled in saying he owned the place.

Political correctness or not - it hurts nobody to be nice to people. Carl Sagan's speech on the Pale Blue Dot springs to mind because when it comes down to it we are all insignificant in the grand scheme of the great beyond, so in Sagan's words, "it underscores the need to deal more kindly with one another."

Lastly, Artem needs to retire and move into coaching or pursue fighting at a regional level. He's 2-4 in his last 6 fights. He's nowhere near the UFC belt and never getting near it. He was dropped by Ishihara with a left straight and Fili with a kick. That's *perhaps* a coincidence or perhaps it's a deteriorating chin.

Either way, he only has 4 KO finishes in nearly 30 fights and, for me, this "Russian Hammer" thing of being a KO-artist is farcical. It's constantly reinforced by Owen Roddy and John too: "If the Hammer connects it's lights out!" according to Owen.

Maybe he says it with his tongue in his cheek.

It's not funny anymore. The joke is over. Artem seems like a decent human being. All fighters are at risk of CTE but Artem is being placed at a disproportionately higher risk because of a) his style of fighting b) excellent chin and c) crucially, he's fighting at a level too good for him.

It wouldn't be fair for an excellent amateur snooker player to be competing against Ronnie O' Sullivan every week but that's pretty much the size of things with Artem. If you take out the Chris Avila win (which was farcical in itself) he has been comprehensively outclassed in most outings in the UFC - destroyed by Ryan Hall, Cub Swanson (in the end), Andre Fili. Alex White beat him comfortably FFS. It'd be one thing getting outclassed by the best of the best but he's getting consistently beaten 30-27 or worse by unranked guys.

Artem got into the UFC because of Conor, which is fine, but right now he should be getting out of the UFC because of John. He owes Artem a duty of care to tell him straight he's not good enough for UFC level and to recommend either lower level competition OR retirement/coaching.

What's he fighting for at this stage? Money?

Artem was paid $17,000 to show for the Swanson fight. He managed a fight night bonus to boost it by 50k but without the bonus what is he making by the time expenses & taxes are paid? Sweet F all.

If he's not fighting for money or belts, then he's obviously fighting for fun. If that's why he fights, he needs to find something else in life he finds fun because most other careers don't carry a high risk of CTE.

BJ Penn was failed in a big way by his family, his coaches and his friends. He should never have been in there with Denis Siver nevermind Yair Rodriguez.

Artem isn't quite at the BJ Penn shot-level of fighter just yet but he IS being failed by the people closest to him. His situation is arguably worse than BJ's because he's not a fading champion like BJ searching for one last golden performance - Artem's an average fighter performing to his best and still getting outclassed.

I'd argue Artem has improved leaps-and-bounds in the past 18 months and despite the improvement, skill-for-skill he's outmatched by almost everyone on the roster.

It falls to Conor, Owen, Queally and, ultimately, John to tell him some home truths. Artem is a grown man, so he can fight for another decade if he wants but the rest of them should make clear they will play no part in it and he's on his own if he wants to continue subjecting himself to top-level MMA.

The whole lot of them would do well to remember words matter. Conor needs to cop on, John & Owen need to find some harsh ones, and Artem needs to listen carefully and make some decisions.

MMA fighters should not be a role model to anyone or held to that standard, because they punch and kick people in the face..... but like it or not Conor IS inspiring a generation to look, dress, talk and act like him. I literally passed by a group of kids in August (no more than 8 or 9 years old) singing that "there's one Conor McGregor, there's no fighter better" song.

Calling Fili a "f.aggot" offended nobody but it does nothing to set a good example either. I'm sure just like James Kavanagh, there'll be a kid sat in school tomorrow dreading lunch time when he'll be called those names. Yes, there will be bullying regardless of what Conor McGregor does or says but he can at least do the right thing on his own end.

"I meant nothing by it".

Then say something you do mean instead.

Start with "sorry"...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

maybe it's time to accept that he's just an arse

TL;DR

James Kavanagh, August 2017:

"“I used to get elbows in the back or people would shout ‘f.aggot’ at me randomly. I felt mortified getting up and going to secondary school every day. I hated every minute of it. There was this guy in particular who bullied me the most. He was creative, inventing a new way every day to make me miserable. He would put little notes in my locker with nasty messages, graffiti the toilet cubicles and teacher’s desks with ‘James is a f.ag’ or when the class would be quiet he would shout: ‘James, are you gay? Come out!!!' All these things made me turn even more inside and as I thought there were no other gay people around, I felt really alone."

The above was written by John's brother, obviously.

Conor would do well to read that before throwing around words he doesn't "mean nothing by" (which he clearly didn't).

I know people like to think we live in an age of political correctness gone mad but the truth is words are the most important thing we own. Words can hurt, do hurt and can even kill. The right words at the right time can save someones life (I'll testify to that), the wrong words at any time (bullying) can end someones life.

Conor meant nothing by using that word. He probably meant something similar to other derogatory words like "twat, dope, tosser, wan*er," - any of those would probably have conveyed what he meant.

Sorry but that's not good enough. He said THAT word and as a society we should be far beyond "he meant nothing by it" as an excuse to defend needlessly offending people with casual insults.

Words matter. If he wouldn't use that word to describe James Kavanagh behind his back after a row, then he shouldn't use to describe Fili.

More to the point, what does it say to Artem Lobov (his supposed best mate) by telling him he just got slapped around by a "f.aggot"? Surely that's the last thing you'd want to tell a friend after they got comprehensively beaten - dropped, controlled and outclassed.

Unfortunately Conor has allowed fame to change how he talks to people. I'm alluding to small things like the video where he shouted across a busy restaurant "Hurry up with that steak!" or the recent video in Maxol where he basically told the guy behind the counter to hurry the Fk up or last night where he strolled in saying he owned the place.

Political correctness or not - it hurts nobody to be nice to people. Carl Sagan's speech on the Pale Blue Dot springs to mind because when it comes down to it we are all insignificant in the grand scheme of the great beyond, so in Sagan's words, "it underscores the need to deal more kindly with one another."

Lastly, Artem needs to retire and move into coaching or pursue fighting at a regional level. He's 2-4 in his last 6 fights. He's nowhere near the UFC belt and never getting near it. He was dropped by Ishihara with a left straight and Fili with a kick. That's *perhaps* a coincidence or perhaps it's a deteriorating chin.

Either way, he only has 4 KO finishes in nearly 30 fights and, for me, this "Russian Hammer" thing of being a KO-artist is farcical. It's constantly reinforced by Owen Roddy and John too: "If the Hammer connects it's lights out!" according to Owen.

Maybe he says it with his tongue in his cheek.

It's not funny anymore. The joke is over. Artem seems like a decent human being. All fighters are at risk of CTE but Artem is being placed at a disproportionately higher risk because of a) his style of fighting b) excellent chin and c) crucially, he's fighting at a level too good for him.

It wouldn't be fair for an excellent amateur snooker player to be competing against Ronnie O' Sullivan every week but that's pretty much the size of things with Artem. If you take out the Chris Avila win (which was farcical in itself) he has been comprehensively outclassed in most outings in the UFC - destroyed by Ryan Hall, Cub Swanson (in the end), Andre Fili. Alex White beat him comfortably FFS. It'd be one thing getting outclassed by the best of the best but he's getting consistently beaten 30-27 or worse by unranked guys.

Artem got into the UFC because of Conor, which is fine, but right now he should be getting out of the UFC because of John. He owes Artem a duty of care to tell him straight he's not good enough for UFC level and to recommend either lower level competition OR retirement/coaching.

What's he fighting for at this stage? Money?

Artem was paid $17,000 to show for the Swanson fight. He managed a fight night bonus to boost it by 50k but without the bonus what is he making by the time expenses & taxes are paid? Sweet F all.

If he's not fighting for money or belts, then he's obviously fighting for fun. If that's why he fights, he needs to find something else in life he finds fun because most other careers don't carry a high risk of CTE.

BJ Penn was failed in a big way by his family, his coaches and his friends. He should never have been in there with Denis Siver nevermind Yair Rodriguez.

Artem isn't quite at the BJ Penn shot-level of fighter just yet but he IS being failed by the people closest to him. His situation is arguably worse than BJ's because he's not a fading champion like BJ searching for one last golden performance - Artem's an average fighter performing to his best and still getting outclassed.

I'd argue Artem has improved leaps-and-bounds in the past 18 months and despite the improvement, skill-for-skill he's outmatched by almost everyone on the roster.

It falls to Conor, Owen, Queally and, ultimately, John to tell him some home truths. Artem is a grown man, so he can fight for another decade if he wants but the rest of them should make clear they will play no part in it and he's on his own if he wants to continue subjecting himself to top-level MMA.

The whole lot of them would do well to remember words matter. Conor needs to cop on, John & Owen need to find some harsh ones, and Artem needs to listen carefully and make some decisions.

MMA fighters should not be a role model to anyone or held to that standard, because they punch and kick people in the face..... but like it or not Conor IS inspiring a generation to look, dress, talk and act like him. I literally passed by a group of kids in August (no more than 8 or 9 years old) singing that "there's one Conor McGregor, there's no fighter better" song.

Calling Fili a "f.aggot" offended nobody but it does nothing to set a good example either. I'm sure just like James Kavanagh, there'll be a kid sat in school tomorrow dreading lunch time when he'll be called those names. Yes, there will be bullying regardless of what Conor McGregor does or says but he can at least do the right thing on his own end.

"I meant nothing by it".

Then say something you do mean instead.

Start with "sorry"...

The whole thing regarding Artem is strange. He does fight because he loves it, 99% of the people signed by the UFC will never contest the belt. That's not the only reason people will fight there.

And so what? He's doing what he loves, if that includes taking some brain trauma, so be it. I don't think anyone needs to have a word with him, he seems perfectly capable of making decisions on his own.

Sometimes I feel people overrate the UFC so much. It's stacked with mid-level fighters and gatekeepers to the top 15. Guys that travel around and take what bouts they can to fill out pre-lims. Artem wouldn't get easier fights in smaller regional promotions because he'd be fighting the top guys most likely.

I know your heart is in the right place, but for me it's disrespectful to tell someone like Artem who has put in the work his whole career to retire once he makes the big leagues. Leave him off, he already seems to be considering retirement, I don't think he needs to be told.

I don't see a problem with what Conor said, he is a cage fighter not a politician. People need to stop being so sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whoever didn't find any outrage when they looked back to Mayweather using "******" should try looking a little bit harder.
    I don't see a problem with what Conor said, he is a cage fighter not a politician. People need to stop being so sensitive.

And people complain about MMA fans being stereotyped as neanderthals.

Interested would you see it as something noteworthy if he called him a bitch instead?

Nice try to derail the current conversation, I doubt you find it truly interesting at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Whoever didn't find any outrage when they looked back to Mayweather using "******" should try looking a little bit harder.

And people complain about MMA fans being stereotyped as neanderthals.

Interesting coming from a guy who was mocking me for being gay a few months ago???

I wasn't mocking you for being gay in the slightest. I was mocking the fact that you're evidently so insecure about your sexuality.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I wasn't mocking you for being gay in the slightest. I was mocking the fact that you're evidently so insecure about your sexuality.

I'd argue that's even worse if I'm honest

• Advertisement

I'd argue that's even worse if I'm honest

Entirely up to you. Somebody wants to post nonsense trying to act like jack the lad and they get caught out doing so and immediately go on the offensive, I see no harm in a bit of gentle ribbing.

For context, the poster above isn't gay, started a thread shortly after he joined Boards to effectively let everyone know he wasn't gay, walked himself obliviously, head first into a joke about being gay (which he didn't get) and then threw a hissy fit over it. I'll not lose much sleep about taking the piss out of him

Anyway, I'll leave it at that and not derail the thread any further. McGregor is a twat for using the word "******". Just like Mayweather was, just like Bisping was, just like Werdum was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement