Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I wasn't mocking you for being gay in the slightest. I was mocking the fact that you're evidently so insecure about your sexuality.

Jesus christ. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I pity the poor mods that look in here on Monday.

A few of ye would want to go away and have a think about how you are posting.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I pity the poor mods that look in here on Monday.

A few of ye would want to go away and have a think about how you are posting.

Including a mod (not of this forum), who seemed to want to deflect attention to avoid the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

you can call someone a ****** without actually meaning anything about gay.

No, you can't. Unless you're so stupid you don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Effects wrote: »
    No, you can't. Unless you're so stupid you don't even realise it.

I'm not condoning the use or the context but it's a lot like the use of "knacker". Fellas arent suggesting they live in caravans when they casually call someone a knacker... similarly i dont think McGregor is suggesting Fili sleeps with men.

Regardless, it's a mountain over a molehill. It was a saturday night, McGregor wasn't "working" and got drunk. Who here hasnt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Lukker- wrote: »
    I know your heart is in the right place, but for me it's disrespectful to tell someone like Artem who has put in the work his whole career to retire once he makes the big leagues. Leave him off, he already seems to be considering retirement, I don't think he needs to be told.

31 years old, 2-4 in his last 4 UFC fights, dropped twice in those fights...

Yes those are Artem's statistics but they are also the identical statistics of Brendan Schaub after the Travis Browne loss. In Brendan's case, he had his best friend (Joe Rogan) humiliate him live on the air by telling him he simply isn't good enough to be a champion and there's so many other things he could be doing with his life that don't carry the risks of CTE.

It was a humbling moment for him but ultimately Brendan took his friends advice and left the sport. It was a brave decision to walk away at 31, especially from a division where you're only ever really 3 wins away from title contention. Hindsight has proven it to be a wise decision.

According to Fight Metric - Artem has taken 716 strikes in his last 6 fights, with 461 of them being significant strikes. I had a look and Artem is in the top 5 on the entire roster for damage taken in his last 6 fights. Now, he's also a grown man so he can do whatever he wants to do. If he is aware of the risks of CTE (which he is) and wants to continue, that's his decision.

But from my vantage point, the fighters themselves are the last people who know when to walk away. Look at some fights in recent times - we recently had Bigfoot Silva fighting Rico Verhoeven in Glory and BJ Penn fighting Yair Rodriguez. IMO neither of those fights should have been sanctioned yet both were.

My point is the athletic commissions and promoters are not going to save fighters from themselves. It will always boil down to peer pressure and frank advice from close friends and coaches for a fighter to call it a day.

I really feel Artem needs a Joe Rogan type speech. He needs someone to bluntly tell him how things really are, give him an honest appraisal of his skillset compared to his peers. If he still wants to fight on and be the guy the UFC feed a prospect to, then ok.

If that's all he wants to be and is content with the serious damage he is taking, then that's his choice.. But I feel like right now there's an element of Conor-inspired delusion hovering over the whole of SBG (and has been for a while) and I'm not convinced Artem knows where he stands in terms of his ability.

People forget he was talking about a title shot if he beat Swanson!

John has been very outspoken about fighters taking too much damage (hardware and software) and the risk of CTE. Right now Artem's software is Windows Vista!

He has so many miles on the clock (85 rounds, 32 fights) for a 31 year-old. He has fought the same amount of rounds in his career as Overeem (85) and Bisping (86) who are both 7 years older and have fought 58 times and 37 times respectively.

Artem is a decision machine with a great chin and to me that looks a prime recipe for CTE.

I would much prefer he gives it up and finds happiness outside the cage. The same sentiments apply to Charlie Ward, Matt Brown, BJ Penn, CM Punk, Bigfoot Silva, Carlos Condit (tbh) but they'll all make their own decisions.

If he fights in the UFC again I will cheer him on but for his own sake I'd like him to bow out and find a new purpose that will make him happy.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    I'm not condoning the use or the context but it's a lot like the use of "knacker". Fellas arent suggesting they live in caravans when they casually call someone a knacker... similarly i dont think McGregor is suggesting Fili sleeps with men.

Regardless, it's a mountain over a molehill. It was a saturday night, McGregor wasn't "working" and got drunk. Who here hasnt!

He's suggesting that gay people are worth less, there isn't really much you can argue about it. Just because you can't see they link doesn't mean it's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

He's suggesting that gay people are worth less, there isn't really much you can argue about it. Just because you can't see they link doesn't mean it's ok.

its an expression its like pu$$y in this instance it means soft or weak not homosexual
    i know the expression is used towards homosexuals as well but he didnt mean homosexual
    however im dissapointed that he said it
    i wish hed said pu$$y

I dont understand the outrage about Conor saying the word? He comes from a poor area of Dublin where growing up that word would have been thrown around a lot, its in his vocabulary since he was young probably and it just comes out. He is quite obviously not a homophobe considering he asked his fans to vote yes for equality.

What I am saying is words are offensive depending on the context that they are used and in this situation Conor was not being offensive towards the gay community...... so people need to stop being so sensitive. I know the snowflakes will have their pitch forks out for him because in 2017 people love to be offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tigger wrote: »

its an expression its like pu$y in this instance it means soft or weak not homosexual
    i know the expression is used towards homosexuals as well but he didnt mean homosexual
    i wish hed said pu$y
    That's my thoughts too tbh.
    It's not a word that I would ever use myself, but I don't believe that every time somebody uses the word they are making a statement against homosexuality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Everytime someone says something controversial it sounds like half the internet forums are writing a sociology paper for their uni. Calm down folks, it's just McGregor being his usual clown self. His OTT personality is really wearing thin now. It's actually getting harder by the day to be a fan of him when he isn't fighting anymore. He'd want to remember why people came to love him in the first place.

Oh and congrats Mellor on your 31K post. Give that man a 5th star ffs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Right folks..gonna keep this short and simple. Cut out the crap, a few of you got yellows..dont bother pmming me crying about them or they will be upgraded to red, have a bit of common sense and grow up a bit. Also a reminder to all of you about the forum charter - fighter bashing (including name calling) is against the charter..

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Oh and congrats Mellor on your 31K post. Give that man a 5th star ffs!

Axwell stole my star. #JusticeforMellor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Faugheen wrote: »
    Including a mod (not of this forum), who seemed to want to deflect attention to avoid the topic.

His comment in no way defended the comments made by Mcgregor, nor was he trying to deflect the attention from anything. He was replying to another poster and a comment they made. Do yourself a favour and stop making false accusations and highlighting the fact he is a mod (which is irrelevant) in some effort to stir something that doesnt exist or you will be taking a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I dont understand the outrage about Conor saying the word? He comes from a poor area of Dublin where growing up that word would have been thrown around a lot, its in his vocabulary since he was young probably and it just comes out. He is quite obviously not a homophobe considering he asked his fans to vote yes for equality.

What I am saying is words are offensive depending on the context that they are used and in this situation Conor was not being offensive towards the gay community...... so people need to stop being so sensitive. I know the snowflakes will have their pitch forks out for him because in 2017 people love to be offended.

Again, people can say it was a stupid thing without being 'outraged'. Throwing around words like outraged & snowflakes are not helpful. To be fair to you there were a few people calling Conor a bigot and a knacker but I think they're on the wind-up and just looking for a stick to beat him with rather than anything else.

It's just a word that should not be used anymore regardless of context, upbringing or level of inebriation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mellor wrote: »
    Put it this way is SBG and all its trainers up sticks and moved to California and opened the gym from there you'd have a whole host of top fighters looking to train there,
    Pretty there's an SBG in California.
    I know, that why I said, if all the trainers from Dublin moved over,

its an expression its like pu$$y in this instance it means soft or weak not homosexual
    i wish hed said pu$$y

Lets say you are out in a restaurant with your friends and one of them doesn't tip. Your other friend says "You're a scabby jew!".

Your defence is akin to saying "Well he's not implying he's an actual Jew! Oh gosh no! I'm just saying he is tight with money like Jewish people are known to be."

Can you see the problem with this?

You are saying that the insult f****t to you simply means soft, weak, cowardly and therefore in this context shouldn't be offensive.

Have you asked yourself why it has that meaning? These qualities were typically ascribed to homosexual men. That's where the insult originates. Everytime you use it as an insult you are referencing this stereotype. There's no getting away from it.

I'm not 'outraged'. My thoughts on the matter are just that Conor continually lets himself down. He's a very unlikeable person today compared to the Conor we saw from say 2013. I remember him being witty, charismatic, thoughtful etc. Even when he was trash talking, there was a certain cheeky wit and good nature in it. He gave some great interviews in those early days of his fame.

Nowadays he just comes across as a coked up yobbo. Some of his press conferences in recent years have had a very sinister undertone.

I dont understand the outrage about Conor saying the word?  He comes from a poor area of Dublin where growing up that word would have been thrown around a lot, its in his vocabulary since he was young probably and it just comes out.  He is quite obviously not a homophobe considering he asked his fans to vote yes for equality.  

What I am saying is words are offensive depending on the context that they are used and in this situation Conor was not being offensive towards the gay community...... so people need to stop being so sensitive.  I know the snowflakes will have their pitch forks out for him because in 2017 people love to be offended.
    Id agree with you but he knows he is in the spot light ,He knows there are camera's back stage,He he knows how American's will react ,Its really lack of common sense but he won't care at all ,
    I did notice him back stage and a women telling him he didn't have access to a certain Area and he turns around to here and Charlie Ward and say's " who's going to stop me I own this Company" and walked straight through  , was quite funny but shows he knows he can do what he likes,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Id agree with you but he knows he is in the spot light ,He knows there are camera's back stage,He he knows how American's will react ,Its really lack of common sense but he won't care at all ,
    I did notice him back stage and a women telling him he didn't have access to a certain Area and he turns around to here and Charlie Ward and say's " who's going to stop me I own this Company" and walked straight through  , was quite funny but shows he knows he can do what he likes,

He can't do what he likes, Goddard told him to sit down.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Again, people can say it was a stupid thing without being 'outraged'. Throwing around words like outraged & snowflakes are not helpful. To be fair to you there were a few people calling Conor a bigot and a knacker but I think they're on the wind-up and just looking for a stick to beat him with rather than anything else.

It's just a word that should not be used anymore regardless of context, upbringing or level of inebriation.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up..I seriously think he's just showing himself up for what he is..I can't see the appeal, and can't really understand people's infatuation..

• Advertisement

[
    Which coaches exactly do you think would draw in top fighters, if they were in America?
    John's obviously a good jiu jitsu coach. But I don't think he's a standout in terms of what's availible in America right now. SBG striking has always been lacklustre, aside from Conor.

I think Conor would be a draw in he moved to the states, regardless of coaches moving or not.

Mellor wrote: »
    [
    Which coaches exactly do you think would draw in top fighters, if they were in America?
    John's obviously a good jiu jitsu coach. But I don't think he's a standout in terms of what's availible in America right now. SBG striking has always been lacklustre, aside from Conor.

I think Conor would be a draw in he moved to the states, regardless of coaches moving or not.
    I think the whole package would be the draw , JK,Conor , Roddy, I know there not the best coaches but with all the hype the last while they'd defo get some big names joining ,

Do any of the lads in here compete at a high level of combat sport , would the amount of time you see Conor drunk in the last year to 18 months not seriously effect his ability to be a top athlete ?
    Seems every second week he's videod locked and looking like its more than the drink ,
    I know he's made his millions so he probably doesn't  give a rats and each to there own,
    but surely it must effect his long term fitness at that level ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not 'outraged'. My thoughts on the matter are just that Conor continually lets himself down. He's a very unlikeable person today compared to the Conor we saw from say 2013. I remember him being witty, charismatic, thoughtful etc. Even when he was trash talking, there was a certain cheeky wit and good nature in it. He gave some great interviews in those early days of his fame.

Nowadays he just comes across as a coked up yobbo. Some of his press conferences in recent years have had a very sinister undertone.

I agree with you here.

i wish hed said pu$$y

I just don't think you are seeing the connection. It's drawing on the comparison that gay men are soft and weak, as you put it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I just don't think you are seeing the connection. It's drawing on the comparison that gay men are soft and weak, as you put it.

So, the same as calling someone a pussy, a bitch or a cúnt is sexist for exactly the same reason? Or calling someone a knacker is saying something about travellers for exactly the same reason?

Personally, I think McGregor was just calling him a bundle of sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I call my friends stupid bastards all the time, didn't realise I was attacking every fatherless child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Jesus Christ lads, it’s not hard. Don’t use that word. There’s about 10 it so words in the world that are generally considered pretty horrible. Stay away from those and you’ll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Do any of the lads in here compete at a high level of combat sport , would the amount of time you see Conor drunk in the last year to 18 months not seriously effect his ability to be a top athlete ?
    Seems every second week he's videod locked and looking like its more than the drink ,
    I know he's made his millions so he probably doesn't  give a rats and each to there own,
    but surely it must effect his long term fitness at that level ?

This. I suspect his recreational activities will have very real ramifications on his fitness, unfortunately. At elite level, you're dealing in advantages of inches. The question mark is already there in respect of endurance. It might not even be a leap to suggest such activities are already the cause of the sudden drop offs in the quality of his output. Time will tell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

If you're in anyway trying to justify Conor saying that word by citing various examples of similar words said in a different context or scenario, then go over to the nearest mirror and have a long hard stare at yourself. It was a stupid thing to say and he has really let himself down, it's a disgusting word, no way two ways about it. You can still admire him professionally without jumping to his defense on this, both don't go hand in hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement