Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Conor is on the Jonathan Ross show Saturday night.. What channel is that on

He's pulled out of the show due to illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

He's pulled out of the show due to illness.

Doesn't bode well for the Late Late next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Doesn't bode well for the Late Late next week

He'll be over the hangover by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I hope Conor's next fight is against Tony to unify the Lightweight belt.

Ferguson is so ****ing weird but I can't help but love him. He is a very well rounded fighter but I don't think he has the stand-up to trouble Conor and has been in trouble before with lesser caliber fighters.

Aside from that, I would also love to see Diaz active in the LW division so he becomes the natural challenger at 155 and we get a title, trilogy fight.

Conor is a big weirdo as well.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OOohhhh, I got tickets for the late late :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    OOohhhh, I got tickets for the late late :)

Do us a favour and bring a can or two of Monster with you for Tubridy. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

martyos121 wrote: »
    Do us a favour and bring a can or two of Monster with you for Tubridy. :D

It's OK, I'm bringing a BJJ blue belt and a purple belt with me so no cans required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ah no Conor is talking about early stoppages and if I had it again I'd.. you don't often get second chances does he not get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Seems that the UFC tweeted a promo pic of McGregor v Diaz III, it was quickly deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

His next fight better be for a belt he owns.
    He has never put it all on the line has he?
    Vacated his cage warrior belts vacated the FW belt and hasn’t defended the LW belt either.
    He always has a back up plan just in case , which is smart obviously.
    But it might be different for him when he is trying to keep it and not taking it.
    Anyway he has to defend next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

One things for sure if his next fight is agreed you can be sure it will be announced this week during the build up to ufc 217

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Seems that the UFC tweeted a promo pic of McGregor v Diaz III, it was quickly deleted

Had a quick look into this, fake news using a fan-made pic that's over a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Anyone who gives out that CMcG never defended his CWFC belts hasn't a notion about MMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

XsApollo wrote: »
    His next fight better be for a belt he owns.
    He has never put it all on the line has he?
    Vacated his cage warrior belts vacated the FW belt and hasn’t defended the LW belt either.
    He always has a back up plan just in case , which is smart obviously.
    But it might be different for him when he is trying to keep it and not taking it.
    Anyway he has to defend next.

and the result was PROFIT! ...ingenious career path.

Had a quick look into this, fake news using a fan-made pic that's over a year old.

Ah. I never really paid much attention to the various FB pages but a friend who I thought would know better shared the story. Much apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Got tickets for the late late today, hopefully he is on time as I am going during lunch :D

and the result was PROFIT! ...ingenious career path.

Not denying it’s ingenious.
    He made it and fair play, great for him.
    Still he should be stripped of his belt if he doesn’t defend next.
    One defense in his career wouldn’t be too far of a stretch would it :-D

If the next fight is not a defense and he is not stripped it makes a complete mockery of the UFC as a sporting organisation. Leaving him off to do the Mayweather thing was acceptable in my eyes, it has brought many new fans to MMA and will line the pockets of the UFC even further which will make it's way to fighters through bigger fight purse and PPV money.

But he has had his break and his dance with Floyd, back to business now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Complaining that he didn't defend his CW titles is stupid and really undermines the part about the UFC title - which is a legitimate grievance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

will line the pockets of the UFC even further

Very much so
    which will make it's way to fighters through bigger fight purse and PPV money.

LOL, no hope.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »

LOL, no hope.

You don't think so? With increasing PPV figures and now fighters being much more outspoken about money it's inevitable.

I’m just saying he has never put it all on the line has he.
    He always has a Fall back.
    Wins the FW title.
    Has no intention of defending it, but keeps it in case his run for the lightweight belt didn’t happen.
    He was going to fight dos Anjos but had the FW title just in case.
    He fought Diaz , but at 170.
    He rematches Diaz at 170 (good move) if he lost to Diaz at 155 his move for the belt would of been laughed at.
    Had no intention of defending the FW belt until the outcome of his LW title match. If he lost he would still have he FW belt.
    He fought mayweather, he was going boxing.
    For all his mouthing he has never put anything on the line yet has he.

I don’t think he has any intention of making a few defenses of the LW belt either.
    If his next fight is against Diaz at 155 That will be his last fight I’d say.
    The money fight and then off doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Wins the FW title.
    Has no intention of defending it, but keeps it in case his run for the lightweight belt didn’t happen.
    He rematches Diaz at 170 (good move) if he lost to Diaz at 155 his move for the belt would of been laughed at.
    Had no intention of defending the FW belt until the outcome of his LW title match. If he lost he would still have he FW belt.

I don’t think he has any intention of making a few defenses of the LW belt either.

What fall back did he have when aldo pulled put and he had to fight mendes, if he lost against him he was snookered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What was he supposed to do? Vacate his FW title after 3 months for the Dos Anjos fight. That would be stupid.
    Diaz couldn't make 155. Had he been able it would have been at 155.
    Did you want him to put his LW title on the line or fight Mayweather in MMA. Sorry I don't follow.

Regardless, none of the above covers his CW belts. Which was the point I made.
    Over 12 months without a defense at LW is a fair point, as I said. But it's getting lost in all the other nonsense you are coming out with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

Wins the FW title.

He kept the FW belt because without it, this couldn't have happened

61TMqQblh3L._SX522_.jpg

He fought Diaz at 170 because RDA pulled out, and Diaz couldn't make 155 in time.

He re-fought Diaz at 170 to pre-silence the "well he only won because of the smaller weight, he'd lose again at 170" brigade.

There was logic to every one of the above choices. That said, it's a huge monkey on his back by now, which badly needs to be shrugged off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You don't think so? With increasing PPV figures and now fighters being much more outspoken about money it's inevitable.
    I don't really see it happening soon or fairly if it does.
    UFC will always milk the fighters for as much as they can and pay them **** all, that much won't change IMO

Ok forget about about the CW titles.
    I was making a point he has defended nothing.
    He held the FW title while he had 3 fights outside the division.
    If he lost to Alvarez he wouldn’t of vacated.
    He would be saying I came up weight but I’m still champion.
    He lost to Diaz because he came up weight.
    If he lost to Diaz 2 it would of been because he came up weight.
    He has he LW title and he’s off doing something else.
    Mayweather was a **** show but again he lost because he was doing something else but he still champion.

It’s d-day now in my eyes.
    He has nothing left to hide behind or fall back on. He always had that.
    If he comes out fighting Diaz again it’s a joke.
    He better be fighting Ferguson or khabib for the title next.

If he isn’t he’s Better off going to WWE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Ok forget about about the CW titles.
    I was making a point he has defended nothing.
    He held the FW title while he had 3 fights outside the division.
    If he lost to Alvarez he wouldn’t of vacated.
    He would be saying I came up weight but I’m still champion.
    He lost to Diaz because he came up weight.
    If he lost to Diaz 2 it would of been because he came up weight.
    He has he LW title and he’s off doing something else.
    Mayweather was a **** show but again he lost because he was doing something else but he still champion.

It’s d-day now in my eyes.
    He has nothing left to hide behind or fall back on. He always had that.
    If he comes out fighting Diaz again it’s a joke.
    He better be fighting Ferguson or khabib for the title next.

If he isn’t he’s Better off going to WWE.

What you call fall back on or hiding behind, is actually escalation. He set off with an ambition to become a dual-weight champion in UFC which he hoped to do much quicker than actually happened:

RDA pulled out and he agreed to (as he always has done) fight a replacement. With no belt on the line, it made sense for him and UFC to have this at WW where a loss didn't damage his credentials to eventually challenge for the LW belt (and Diaz couldn't have made LW).

After losing, Conor had to avenge the loss rather than get the LW title shot. I think this could have been at LW (as another loss in either weight class basically puts him out of contention surely) but Conor/SBG were stubborn and wanted to replicate exact conditions as loss so that they can show they learned and that all other variables were the same (with exception of full camp knowing who opponent was, of course).

The Diaz bump in the road was over and he achieved his goal. How could he be concurrently 2 weight world champion without holding on to the FW belt? And how could UFC market him so effectively unless his thoughts moved straight to achieving that 2nd championship after beating Aldo?

If he lost against Diaz the 2nd time or Alvarez, I agree he would have defended the FW belt, but instead he achieved a glory unknown in MMA to date and looked to capitalise on that.

With little public appetite for a rematch with Mayweather (which I think may have happened if the bout went to a decision), Conor has to look at what his next move is, which for the first time isn't related to achieving a new and bigger goal than the 3 or possibly 4 he entered the UFC with.

1. Become a superstar in MMA
    2. Win the FW belt
    3. Become 2-weight world champion like in CW
    4. Beat Mayweather in Boxing

In an ideal world, RDA wouldn't have got injured and this would have all been sorted out a lot quicker one way or another.

Yes it sucks for other FWs and LWs that for so long the chance of being undisputed champion is being held up, but when Conor is one of the only bankable stars the UFC has left, that's just an unfortunate reality.

Diaz 3 is an option because trilogy fights always sound good, but I do believe that barring injury, it'll be Ferguson next. I don't think Conor will want to be promoting a fight where he could be questioned as to why he's ducking the Interim champion.

Lose to Ferguson, Conor surely gets a rematch with Diaz trilogy in back pocket. Win against Ferguson, and it wouldn't surprise me if Conor goes for whoever is WW champ or GSP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,897 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gintonious wrote: »

Disappointed I gave that link a click. Donald Clarke sounds like a barrel of laughs. It's as if Conor called to his house one morning and actually pissed in his cornflakes.
    Conor McGregor (when not calling people f**gots) is known for telling us how fantastic he is at enormous length.

“I’d like to fight myself,” McGregor says at one point. Not just that, I’m betting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement