Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Back from the Late Late interview, nothing of note really, spoke about his clothing brand and the online sales platform that he is launching to sell through, his whiskey that is launching soon.

More about the grind and being able to provide for his family. A touch on the movie that is coming out.

Asked about his options, Diaz 3, Mayweather 2 or Ferguson. Said Ferguson is the most likely fight but is in negotiation at the moment with the UFC and wants equity going forward. Not interested in Paddys day fight "Let saint patrick have saint patricks day, saint McGregor day will come"

Asked if he has plans to propose to Dee, that was shot down fair quick. Said they just had a child and wants to digest that first and that if he was going to propose it would be on a much bigger show then the Late Late.

Nice little quip at Tuberty saying "The last time I was on this show you were richer than me!"

Said John Kavanagh is on another level when it comes to fighting, he has a mind like no other. Much respect to Flyod and all he has achieved.

Speaking about his comments last week. Says anything in any way bad he does gets blown way out of proportion. He was speaking to his friend, sparring partner and brother about the way his opponent fought, slowing things down and not engaging. Did not mean offense to anybody in the LGBT or any community. Conor said he campaigned for gay rights during he marriage referendum etc

Entertaining spot not he less but no new info on anything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Gintonious wrote: »

Disappointed I gave that link a click. Donald Clarke sounds like a barrel of laughs. It's as if Conor called to his house one morning and actually pissed in his cornflakes.
    Conor McGregor (when not calling people f**gots) is known for telling us how fantastic he is at enormous length.

“I’d like to fight myself,” McGregor says at one point. Not just that, I’m betting.
    Donald Clarke is an exceptional film critic. He's reviewing a movie, he's not there to cheerlead for McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Donald Clarke is an exceptional film critic. He's reviewing a movie, he's not there to cheerlead for McGregor.

Then why didn't he review the movie then rather than have personal jibes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Heres a 3/5 review

A mixed review from Bloody Elbow

A good one from Entertainment.ie

We know the story. Its the backstage stuff Im looking forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Because he hated the movie and the content? I'm sure Mark kermode would say worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Most Irish Times journalists can't resist the barbs when talking about McGregor. It's that upper-middle class looking down their nose, and McGregor is working class and crude, an easy target. They are still the only halfway decent national paper, but it's par for the course.

That said the review is fair enough, personal barbs aside. I don't really expect it to resonate with a non-MMA fan. It doesn't really delve deep enough to stand alone as a character piece, so really all we are getting is 1.5 hour long embedded. Which is perfectly fine for an MMA fan, but probably not going to be of much interest outside of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If you can read (I assume you can) and have bothered to actually consider his piece, you'd understand that it's a film review.

When you say "personal jibes", I presume you mean the implication that McGregor would like to **** himself rather then just fight himself? The whole review is about the fact that the film is an ode to his ego.

I've said it countless times here before, but Christ almighty people really do go out of their way to get offended on McGregor's behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I've said it countless times here before, but Christ almighty people really do go out of their way to get offended on McGregor's behalf.

The reverse is also true.

https://streamable.com/c51k7

A clip from today, someone in RTE is getting the sack as they asked us all not to use phones cameras etc and the legit feed gets leaked, whoops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

https://streamable.com/c51k7

A clip from today, someone in RTE is getting the sack as they asked us all not to use phones cameras etc and the legit feed gets leaked, whoops

The Late Late released this as a teaser for Friday on their YouTube.

• Advertisement

Suppose he can't turn around and say he was off his head..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Lets say you are out in a restaurant with your friends and one of them doesn't tip. Your other friend says "You're a scabby jew!".

Your defence is akin to saying "Well he's not implying he's an actual Jew! Oh gosh no! I'm just saying he is tight with money like Jewish people are known to be."

Can you see the problem with this?

You are saying that the insult f****t to you simply means soft, weak, cowardly and therefore in this context shouldn't be offensive.

Have you asked yourself why it has that meaning? These qualities were typically ascribed to homosexual men. That's where the insult originates. Everytime you use it as an insult you are referencing this stereotype. There's no getting away from it.

I'm not 'outraged'. My thoughts on the matter are just that Conor continually lets himself down. He's a very unlikeable person today compared to the Conor we saw from say 2013. I remember him being witty, charismatic, thoughtful etc. Even when he was trash talking, there was a certain cheeky wit and good nature in it. He gave some great interviews in those early days of his fame.

Nowadays he just comes across as a coked up yobbo. Some of his press conferences in recent years have had a very sinister undertone.

your analogy is incorrect. Jew refers to Jewish people there is no ambiguity it is a term that referers to Jews. ****** is not

Etymology

The American slang term is first recorded in 1914, the shortened form fag shortly after, in 1921.[8] Its immediate origin is unclear, but it is based on the word for "bundle of sticks", ultimately derived, via Old French, Italian and Vulgar Latin, from Latin fascis.[8][9]

The word ****** has been used in English since the late 16th century as an abusive term for women, particularly old women,[9] and reference to homosexuality may derive from this,[8][10] as female terms are often used with reference to homosexual or effeminate men (cf. nancy, sissy, queen). The application of the term to old women is possibly a shortening of the term "******-gatherer", applied in the 19th century to people, especially older widows, who made a meager living by gathering and selling firewood.[10] It may also derive from the sense of "something awkward to be carried" (compare the use of the word baggage as a pejorative term for old people in general).[8]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

If you can read (I assume you can) and have bothered to actually consider his piece, you'd understand that it's a film review.

When you say "personal jibes", I presume you mean the implication that McGregor would like to **** himself rather then just fight himself? The whole review is about the fact that the film is an ode to his ego.

I'm not offended. In fact I am more offended at the condescending tone of your post. There are a few little jibes across the piece directed at McGregor's personality rather than the film. Not the work of an 'exceptional' film critic IMO.

I imagine we will see a few of these in the coming days...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Speaking about his comments last week. Says anything in any way bad he does gets blown way out of proportion. He was speaking to his friend, sparring partner and brother about the way his opponent fought, slowing things down and not engaging. Did not mean offense to anybody in the LGBT or any community. Conor said he campaigned for gay rights during he marriage referendum etc

I'd have more respect for him if he just apologised for it instead of saying he didn't mean it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I'd have more respect for him if he just apologised for it instead of saying he didn't mean it :rolleyes:

that's the modern day apology now though. The "non-apology apology" I like to call it. Same goes for the hollywood scandals where they use the "sorry-I-got-caught-apology" instead of simply saying sorry. I think it stems from social media where someone does something and it's burn them immediately, give them no chance to apologies, learn and grow as a person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Someone in RTE is getting the sack

Yeah, someone in RTE getting the sack for not doing their job properly. That'll be the day.

Tigger wrote: »
    your analogy is incorrect. Jew refers to Jewish people there is no ambiguity it is a term that referers to Jews. ****** is not

There's no ambiguity in what McGregor meant when he said what he said. You're just clutching at straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

evil_seed wrote: »
    that's the modern day apology now though. The "non-apology apology" I like to call it. Same goes for the hollywood scandals where they use the "sorry-I-got-caught-apology" instead of simply saying sorry. I think it stems from social media where someone does something and it's burn them immediately, give them no chance to apologies, learn and grow as a person.

Yea Kevin Spacey did a text book non apology the other day. I'm still going to follow Conor, I just feel he is a bit ignorant at times, no problem with him if he just put his hand up and said sorry guys I got it wrong this time, I'll do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A young lad from an rough part of Dublin who was on the dole but now fights trained men in a cage for a living,
    Is overheard cursing about someone his best friend just fought  SHOCK HORROR  how could this happen in our perfect world,

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Yea Kevin Spacey did a text book non apology the other day.

For something he did 30 years ago that he can't remember. It's a bit different to something that was recorded on camera two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Effects wrote: »
    For something he did 30 years ago that he can't remember. It's a bit different to something that was recorded on camera two weeks ago.

Yeah but calling someone a fa-got in a macho fighting sense, not to their face and what he thought was in private, is slightly different than trying to sodomise a 14 year old boy.

The simple "right or wrong" and nothing in between nature of modern culture - particularly people on twitter and facebook - is fúcking pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

The Nal wrote: »
    is slightly different than trying to sodomise a 14 year old boy.

Not to go off topic but to be fair the victim mentions nothing about any attempts to sodomize him. Spacey made a sexual advance by laying on top him and then Rapp left the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Now talking about paedophilia on a Conor McGregor thread, strangely, I'm not Suprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

A young lad from an rough part of Dublin who was on the dole but now fights trained men in a cage for a living,
    Is overheard cursing about someone his best friend just fought  SHOCK HORROR  how could this happen in our perfect world,

Jesus wept

Jesus wept

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

People abroad must think Conor grew up in a favela! FFS he had a three meals a day, a bed, his parents could afford a house, clothes etc I know many people a lot worse off than the McGregors were when Conor was a young lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

He should have far more cop on, and was totally wrong to use that word repeatedly.

It’s that simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jesus wept

Just remember that Jedward came from the mean streets of Lucan too!! :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

And just on this again . Im pretty sure nobody is shocked by his behaviour or choice of word , just offended .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Just remember that Jedward came from the mean streets of Lucan too!! :p:p

He grew up in Crumlin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement