Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've often used the words spastic and ****** about someone. Not nice words but just words, I don't really mean that said person is a homosexual or mentally handicapped.

McGregor is deep in the public eye he should know better and could do with calming down on the booze and whatever else. I won't point fingers though at someone for something most of us are guilty of doing though not matter how much you want to take the moral high ground on here. That's a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It was the UFC that aired the clip thinking back, I'd say he is using that as another bargaining chip in his negotiations. He probably in some way will use it to get a bit more cash off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Inviere

The scutter that gets discussed in this thread at times is enough to put real pressure on Dynarod. Fookin' hell chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah but calling someone a fa-got in a macho fighting sense, not to their face and what he thought was in private, is slightly different than trying to sodomise a 14 year old boy.

I'm actually talking about non-apologies. He's not going to admit to something so serious and something he probably honestly can't remember.

McGregor knows what he said was wrong, and it's not an actual crime or attack on a particular person. So less of a reason for a non-apology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Just seen a clip of masvidal and.bisping. wonder if masvidal will get the se reaction as mcgregor . Pretty sure the last word was ******

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

Just seen a clip of masvidal and.bisping. wonder if masvidal will get the se reaction as mcgregor . Pretty sure the last word was ******

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba9e_WCAYfB/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Of course Masvidal isn't going to get the same reaction as McGregor, no one knows who he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Of course Masvidal isn't going to get the same reaction as McGregor, no one knows who he is.

I actually meant on here rather than in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ha tyson fury and Billy joe Saunders seem to get away with a lot worse.(a lot worse) .. I for one am not remotely offended and I don't think he should have to apologise... But then again I'm not gay either. I used that word for the first 18years of my life to describe people who dislike various forms of heavy metal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Ha tyson fury and Billy joe Saunders seem to get away with a lot worse.(a lot worse) .. I for one am not remotely offended and I don't think he should have to apologise... But then again I'm not gay either. I used that word for the first 18years of my life to describe people who dislike various forms of heavy metal.

I don't get why people feel the need to make moral judgements against the man for a poor choice of words, but its 100% right to call people out when they mis-speak like this. In the majority of cases its down to pure ignorance and just never having thought about the negative impact that perpetuating archaic stereotypes has on others. Like you said, 'for the first 18 years of your life'....I'm guessing after that you copped on enough and knew better.

It doesnt make mcgregor a homophobe to use that term, just means he doesnt know any better. Hopefully he is humble enough to accept that he mis-spoke rather than digging his heels in defensively and acting like its grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

maybe in the official Jorge Masvidal thread it might :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He's not a working class Dub .....he'll get a pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Just back from the documentary. It was very enjoyable. It was mostly behind the scenes footage that we haven't seen before (I have seen all the public footage and would be bored out of my mind of 1h 30mins of that). Seeing the fights on the big screen in *very* high resolution was brilliant, it had some great slow mo shots of digs landing.

It brought me right back to the emotion of UFC 189 and the triumph of the Aldo fight. His manager Audie Attar had a funny moment and Artem had a hilarious moment too. It felt like they had footage of moments that captured everyone perfectly.

In the interview afterwards he said he is in no rush to fight again until the contract is sorted - Nate probably isn't the hold up.

He also said:
    https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/925833008413904896

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Was good to see clips of the fights on the big screen and some great behind the scenes footage alright but I thought it could have been better. They left out bits that should have been included.

Interview afterwards was ok but way too short. Like 10 mins.

Overall, enjoyable and worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Had to laugh that everything to do with UFC 205 and winning the second belt was cut down to about 30 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Effects wrote: »
    There's no ambiguity in what McGregor meant when he said what he said. You're just clutching at straws.

is andre fili gay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ignoring the fact that it's McGregor, why is the fact that someone is a working class Dub (or working class anything really) an excused for using a homophobic slur? If anything, that's just offensive to working class people.

Also, how do people genuinely not understand why there'll be a huge level of commentary on McGregor using it compared to Masvidal or are they just being facetious? If not, are they really that stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Its an awful term that makes out being homosexual makes you less of a man. He should have known better.

Odd people defending it due to his background and because of other combat fighters have said worse.

He knows better and drunk or not shouldn't have said it. He reaction is a bit weak. Apologies to who he upset is better than nothing but just hold your hands up properly.

The ranking of apolgies i seen in a tweet

I was wrong im sorry>>>>If I was wrong I'm sorry>>>>If i offended you im sorry>>>>Im sorry you feel offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its an awful term that makes out being homosexual makes you less of a man. He should have known better.
    I completely understand the above logic. But honestly, that association would never occur to me. Maybe i'm conditioned from my own environment or experiences, half the gay blokes I know are built like bodybuilders.
    I'd honestly just think of it as a pejorative in itself, and not a pejorative due to be synonymous for gay. That's just how I think. Not saying it's right or wrong, or it's people should or shouldn't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭creeper1

It's an insult to feminine men. A manly man fights. The f word describes someone without testosterone that doesn't want to figt. You know a gender fluid what is it kinda new age creature.

Political correctness gone mad. Nothing to apologise for imho.

creeper1 wrote: »
    It's an insult to feminine men. A manly man fights. The f word describes someone without testosterone that doesn't want to figt. You know a gender fluid what is it kinda new age creature.

Political correctness gone mad. Nothing to apologise for imho.

Tell us about all your fights then tough guy...........or are you a ******? Your words not mine!

Tell us about all your fights then tough guy...........or are you a ******? Your words not mine!
    Holy fu*ing irony

Mellor wrote: »
    Holy fu*ing irony

That's not lost on me at all, believe me, but I'm not the one making ridiculous statements - people need to be called out on their bullsh1t do they not!!!

That's not lost on me at all, believe me, but I'm not the one making ridiculous statements - people need to be called out on their bullsh1t do they not!!!
    Right, but using the exact word that you are calling him out on completely undermines any point you could have made.

Mellor wrote: »
    Right, but using the exact word that you are calling him out on completely undermines any point you could have made.

I take your point.

In my head, I used the same word to show up the ridiculousness of his statement, but can see exactly where you're coming from. A combination of a lack of caffeine this morning and too many blows to the head over the years I guess :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I take your point.

In my head, I used the same word to show up the ridiculousness of his statement, but can see exactly where you're coming from. A combination of a lack of caffeine this morning and too many blows to the head over the years I guess :D

Living in Cork couldn't help in the old IQ area either I guess?

:pac::pac:

Living in Cork couldn't help in the old IQ area either I guess?

:pac::pac:

ha, the oxygen is a bit thinner this far south alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Enjoyed the film. Like a longer high budget UFC embedded thing but decent enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Had to laugh that everything to do with UFC 205 and winning the second belt was cut down to about 30 seconds.

Ya makes no sense. It was like they reached the 90 min mark & oh that’s enough, we’ll wrap it here.

From the first scene they were building up to Diaz 2 as being the pinnacle of his career.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement