Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Ya makes no sense. It was like they reached the 90 min mark & oh that’s enough, we’ll wrap it here.

From the first scene they were building up to Diaz 2 as being the pinnacle of his career.

Gotta leave room for the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

fYHn1uj.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Whoops!

Audie does rep both Conor and Tony, so I can kinda see where the **** up came from, but lads, jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Effects wrote: »
    For something he did 30 years ago that he can't remember. It's a bit different to something that was recorded on camera two weeks ago.

Well that's fine then but that wasn't my point we were discussing the form of apology.

A young lad from an rough part of Dublin who was on the dole but now fights trained men in a cage for a living,
    Is overheard cursing about someone his best friend just fought  SHOCK HORROR  how could this happen in our perfect world,

Someone who made a big deal of campaigning for lgbt rights. Unlike you I don't assume that being from a 'rough part of Dublin' makes everyone predisposed to calling people 'fags'. Yes I'm a deluded 'triggered' 'politically correct' 'snowflake' etc., or whatever else attempt at making my point redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Someone who made a big deal of campaigning for lgbt rights. Unlike you I don't assume that being from a 'rough part of Dublin' makes everyone predisposed to calling people 'fags'. Yes I'm a deluded 'triggered' 'politically correct' 'snowflake' etc., or whatever else attempt at making my point redundant.

People say all sorts in the heat of the moment. It was a stupid thing to say. It wasn't meant in a homophobic way. Hes apologised. Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

What do people think of McGregor's statement of not stepping into the Octagon again unless he's a promoter? Seems to have caused quite a stir from the online MMA community.

Like what all advantages would he gain from being a promoter in the fights? I can't imagine promoting a UFC fight would work the same way as it did with the MW fight. Is it just a promoter level pay cut he's looking for? A promoter would have to inject their own resources into building the fight, what could he offer on top of what the UFC already do? Or does he just want the McGregor Promotions name credited because of the massive amount of money he's drawing in?

Perhaps it's a negotiation tactic and he would be happy with just a larger PPV %. Would seem like a whole lot less hassle.

Don't think it's a forgone conclusion yet but him fighting on UFC 219 seeming more unlikely now. I was hoping on Saturday that they'd announce him for that, or at least for something like UFC 222. It would be annoying to have all this anticipation and talk about behind the scenes negotiations if no fight announcement comes out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Is Notorious not in every cinema ? Was gonna go for the latest showing on Saturday in the Odeon in Blanchardstown, then straight back for 217 but its not listed on their site ?

What do people think of McGregor's statement of not stepping into the Octagon again unless he's a promoter? Seems to have caused quite a stir from the online MMA community.

I assume he would be looking to get a percentage of the entire event, from tickets sales to PPV and have a say on the card, venue etc.

Seems very unlikely he'll fight at UFC 219. Can't see them sorting that out in 8 weeks. Interestingly, Khabib is on that card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Enjoyed the docu. The Q&A questions weren't up to much and thought they could have took questions from the audience as often happens with Q&As after a screening. Tanantino, Richard Gere and even Pacino answered audience questions at their Q&As in the Savoy.

I was surprised they had so much footage that we hadn't already seen but then I was surprised how much was lacking in that regard too when it came to certain time periods. For example the docu cuts from McGregor's disappointment at losing to Diaz to immediately cutting to Dee driving behind McGrgeor cycling in Vegas a week out from Diaz II. Was hoping that we would get to see more footage from later that night, and something from the weeks after.

Also thought that Joao Carvalho's death would have been touched upon given that so much happened around that time. The whole refusal to do media for 200 wasn't dealt with either.

Overall it was decent enough but it could have been epic in the right hands. It'll probably take a third party with no affiliations to Conor to make such a docu though. Would still recommend going to see it though, particularly on one of the larger screens. Not sure if Savoy 1 will show it again. No doubt they will now throw it into one of their smaller screens.

• Advertisement

It was a bit Leni Riefenstahl in parts alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tigger wrote: »
    is andre fili gay?

I've no idea, and it doesn't really matter regarding the insult intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Savoy the only place showing this ? Everywhere else seems to have been a once off airing.
    Edit: Movies @ cinemas are also showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

14murphy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but is the Savoy the only place showing this ? Everywhere else seems to have been a once off airing.
    Edit: Movies @ cinemas are also showing it.

Omniplex showing it albeit limited amount of viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭hewhoscares

Like what all advantages would he gain from being a promoter in the fights? I can't imagine promoting a UFC fight would work the same way as it did with the MW fight. Is it just a promoter level pay cut he's looking for? A promoter would have to inject their own resources into building the fight, what could he offer on top of what the UFC already do? Or does he just want the McGregor Promotions name credited because of the massive amount of money he's drawing in?

Perhaps it's a negotiation tactic and he would be happy with just a larger PPV %. Would seem like a whole lot less hassle.

Don't think it's a forgone conclusion yet but him fighting on UFC 219 seeming more unlikely now. I was hoping on Saturday that they'd announce him for that, or at least for something like UFC 222. It would be annoying to have all this anticipation and talk about behind the scenes negotiations if no fight announcement comes out of it.

I presume he wants to co-promote the events where he's involved to get a better revenue split than the basis show money and PPV points currently gets (similar to how MayMac was). He's still on the same 7 fight deal he signed before Aldo (might have been Mendes actually), hindsight is a wonderful thing and he could well have lost his fights so its not the best leverage with the uncertainties of how your career will pan out but it does look like signing long term was unwise.

And he deserves the pay. He's grossly underpaid by the UFC and has been since the Mendes fights. And thats not including the raising tide that has meant bigger worldwide deals as part of the promo he himself brings to the UFC. It does set a precedent mind which is what they'll fear.

The only issue personally is now is that UK and Ireland fights will be PPV from here on out after previously being part of the package of the provider. The viewing figures for his last UFC fights where incredible for the time of them. I'm surprised they hadn't been made PPV already tbf - if quarter of a million people will stay up till 5am to watch him they'll chip in £15/€20.

The MayMac figures will confirm it all but sealed with the records broken. I can't see them leaving that revenue on the table and will have been discussed with the deal renewal.

Its a Mayweather blueprint again really. Often his fights where Goldenboy promoted fights even if their input wasn't much beyond odd bits of the undercard. Goldenboy still got a nice chunk for that but the cream went to Pretty Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

creeper1 wrote: »
    It's an insult to feminine men. A manly man fights. The f word describes someone without testosterone that doesn't want to figt.

I can think of very few things more "manly" than possessing the strength and skill to take another man off his feet, control him on the ground, pummel his head into the canvas and completely immobilize whatever threat he posed you standing up.

If dragging your opponent to the ground and dominating them is "fighting like a f****t" then Conor needs to inform Cathal, Gunni and James they were/are all "f****ts" who need to "man up and fight". :rolleyes:

Just like the F-word itself, it's a backwards way of thinking to view skilled ground fighting as cowardly when, in truth, it's a show of strength.

I applaud Conor for showing up to the event to support Artem and applaud his sentiment in trying to console him after a brutal loss but it's simply a word he shouldn't be using. His non-apology apology was better than no apology at all :)

Just to let people know, I will be leaving Boards & Twitter after UFC 217. The time I spend reading or writing about MMA is time I should be using to try improve my situation in life, which isn't so good right now. If anyone wants my contact details to stay in touch, feel free to PM me between now and then, I'll also leave the details with Axwell. A forum full of strangers who all feel like a friend to me :)

As for Conor, I don't believe there's any malice behind his words, but he tends to put his foot in it quite a lot and that might hamper his ability to attract blue chip sponsors in the future.

Well thats a shame Wonder but if you think it'll help yourself personally fair enough

Don't think im alone in enjoying your posts (as much as you can have slight tunnel vision at time, the very 'obsession' as such gives insight many aren't aware of and various social stuff that is missed by most). Recently rewatched the Ariel Kav interview where he name dropped you and made me p1ss a bit:)

The research/due diligence on the company behind Conors meet and greets was incredible and hopefully meant that people didn't get ripped off*.

* On those meet and greets actually did read a bit of gossip about Charlie Ward acting the ar5e at them. Without going all mumsnet has anyone else heard the same

* On those meet and greets actually did read a bit of gossip about Charlie Ward acting the ar5e at them. Without going all mumsnet has anyone else heard the same

ooh tell us.

ooh tell us.

Loool. Was a few reddit posts so im paraphrasing the posts a bit (and take that for what its worth obvs), think it was the Manchester one. He was very drunk and lairy giving it "you know who I am" style. Borderline threatening and drinking directly from a whisky bottle.

The poster mentioned that Artem was sat at the same table and was apologetic/embarrassed and that his own VIP table got a full refund due to his behaviour.

It could well be internet gossip but other posters on the thread backed it up

Loool. Was a few reddit posts so im paraphrasing the posts a bit (and take that for what its worth obvs), think it was the Manchester one. He was very drunk and lairy giving it "you know who I am" style. Borderline threatening and drinking directly from a whisky bottle.

The poster mentioned that Artem was sat at the same table and was apologetic/embarrassed and that his own VIP table got a full refund due to his behaviour.

It could well be internet gossip but other posters on the thread backed it up

You can well believe it, other people have said stuff about him in the past. 'Do you know who I am' yea someone who was slam knocked out.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/6uhh5i/charlie_ward_isnt_done_with_the_ufc_demands/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That story sounds believable right up until the part where the organiser (alleged fraudster) refunded the tickets

You can well believe it, other people have said stuff about him in the past. 'Do you know who I am' yea someone who was slam knocked out.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/6uhh5i/charlie_ward_isnt_done_with_the_ufc_demands/

You'd think that being involved in a death - no matter if there were other circumstances - would be a shock to the system of most people and if they were a gouger they'd grow up and cop on a bit. Try to carry themselves a bit better.

Apparently not the case with Charlie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You'd think that being involved in a death - no matter if there were other circumstances - would be a shock to the system of most people and if they were a gouger they'd grow up and cop on a bit. Try to carry themselves a bit better.

Apparently not the case with Charlie.

I'd have thought the opposite. I can't imagine the mental turmoil involved in knowing you are partially or wholly responsible for taking a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Lads, strange question. Is there anywhere I could get my hands on a copy of the mcgregor Dublin show with the original audio? The fight pass version is bastardised and ruins the entrance a bit. Probably a long shot.

D.Q wrote: »
    Lads, strange question. Is there anywhere I could get my hands on a copy of the mcgregor Dublin show with the original audio? The fight pass version is bastardised and ruins the entrance a bit. Probably a long shot.

Torrent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Torrent

Ya reckon? Of the tv3 version or something maybe.. Yeah good shout.

D.Q wrote: »
    Ya reckon? Of the tv3 version or something maybe.. Yeah good shout.

Pm'd you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Is his interview not going on the rte player his one is the only part of the late late not on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Was he always that delusional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Is his interview not going on the rte player his one is the only part of the late late not on it

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-late-late-show-extras-30003017/10798283/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement