Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mellor wrote: »
    GSP loses Bobby.

I'm probably overreacting to Saturday night as I admittedly thought Bisping would win, but I'd definitely favour GSP over Whittaker now.

Both he and Bisping are similar in size and stature and as a former welterweight, I think Georges will be very confident here and get the job done. I don't think Georges will mess around with any of the bigger middleweights like a Weidman or Rockhold for example.

GSP to beat Whittaker in Perth, vacate the title and move down to welterweight would be my shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bobby hits harder than Bisping. Has a better chin. And is better offensive grappler.
    I was quite impressed with how well Bisping handled GSP in his guard. Not only did he stop him passing he did damage from the bottom. I'd fancy Bobby to do more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Bobby hits harder than Bisping. Has a better chin. And is better offensive grappler.
    I was quite impressed with how well Bisping handled GSP in his guard. Not only did he stop him passing he did damage from the bottom. I'd fancy Bobby to do more

I was well impressed with bisping.
    He a tough motherF.
    He has been practically ko’d In his last 4? Fights.
    Even in this one he was finding his way back and defending well after been flattened.
    Until the choke that is.
    He was always a brilliant watch.

I think GSP winning is a real spanner in the McG v GSP fight.

Would Nevada license a 172lb fighter for MW title fight verses a 200+lb GSP.
    I think Nevada sanctions whatever UFC wants, within reason.

Although if there was a GSP v McGregor fight I think it would likely take place at 170 or even 162 catchweight.

Commercially UFC are pretty happy that their two biggest draws have belts. They would like to keep it that way as long as possible. So they would face off at a weight that sees neither guy lose his belt at the end of it. Pure money fight.

Having bulked up for Bisping it would take GSP some months to get into the weight range for a McGregor fight. I don't think it's next fight for either guy. Maybe end of 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No hope GSP beats Whittaker, he just hits way to hard,
    GSP said himself that Bisping stunned hiM a couple of time but GSP hide it, Whittaker hits way harder and is a way better wrestler,
    Everyone could see GSP was starting to slow down , I think he'd be far better to move back down to Welter weight,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

No hope GSP beats Whittaker, he just hits way to hard,
    GSP said himself that Bisping stunned hiM a couple of time but GSP hide it, Whittaker hits way harder and is a way better wrestler,
    Everyone could see GSP was starting to slow down , I think he'd be far better to move back down to Welter weight,

You could tell GSP was uncomfortable carrying the weight. The fight was going the other way but he managed to clip bisping with a nice shot and found the finish really well.

I reckon if he can get back to 170, he will. No guarantees though, he’s a big boy now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

<SNIP>

No fighter bashing, accusations regarding steroids etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would Nevada license a 172lb fighter for MW title fight verses a 200+lb GSP.
    I think Nevada sanctions whatever UFC wants, within reason.

Although if there was a GSP v McGregor fight I think it would likely take place at 170 or even 162 catchweight.

Commercially UFC are pretty happy that their two biggest draws have belts. They would like to keep it that way as long as possible. So they would face off at a weight that sees neither guy lose his belt at the end of it. Pure money fight.

Having bulked up for Bisping it would take GSP some months to get into the weight range for a McGregor fight. I don't think it's next fight for either guy. Maybe end of 2018.

GSP fight at 162?! What?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would Nevada license a 172lb fighter for MW title fight verses a 200+lb GSP. It's not guaranteed imo. What is it worth to them verses a LW defense? Anything?

UFF Perth is booked. It's needs to be PPV.

Where as if he lost. Bisping fights in Perth. GSP fight Conor at 170lbs.

How I see 2018
    Conor beats Tony.e
    GSP loses Bobby.
    Khabib misses weight again.
    No LW contender exists. Conor fight GSP at WW. Winner gets a title shot.

Alternate version;
    Khabib/Gaethe or whoever emerges as a contender.
    Conor fights the above.
    GSP reclaims the WW title

Sets up Conor V George at WW for strap 3.

Nevada sanctioned a guy to fight his first pro boxing fight against a guy 49-0 so I think they'd sanction anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

*ducks in for mcgregor hype....

*backs out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Jesus, putting him in with GSP, the size of him on Saturday! And he cut to make that as well.

Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

GSP would make absolute bits of mcgregor be it standing or on the deck

GSP fight at 162?! What?!
    At 170 GSP was carrying some muscle mass which took effort to maintain.

155 is pretty far fetched (although he claimed personally he could do it) but I don't think a catchweight of 162/163 is crazy.

A non-title bout would have a 1lbs allowance which was not the case with the majority of his 170 fights. Therefore he would need to be 6-7lbs lighter than a weight he made many times. That's not crazy.

I'm not suggesting for a second he could make it right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

spix wrote: »
    Well you've quoted it so a bit pointless to edit anything. I'm just speaking facts, its painfully obvious if you've been following gsp's interviews the past couple of months, he keeps saying awkward things that make it seem like hes cheating.

It would be worth your while to stop any further talk of fighter accusations to do with steroids, peds etc. There is a charter there for a reason, I suggest you read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Conor was suppose to be in court this morning, adjourned untill the 23rd of this month.a speeding offence. Isn't that offence usually a fixed penalty in the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

Conor was suppose to be in court this morning, adjourned untill the 23rd of this month.a speeding offence. Isn't that offence usually a fixed penalty in the post?

If you don't pay the fine in 28 days, it gets increased, if you don't pay that within another 28 days, it's a court summons

rob316 wrote: »
    Nevada sanctioned a guy to fight his first pro boxing fight against a guy 49-0 so I think they'd sanction anything.

They also made a shed load of money from that fight.
    Which doesn't hold true for Conor vrs GSP (compared with Conor vrs Tony). Nevada makes more or less the same for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They also made a shed load of money from that fight.
    Which doesn't hold true for Conor vrs GSP (compared with Conor vrs Tony). Nevada makes more or less the same for either.

Conor vs GSP breaks the UFC PPV record

Lukker- wrote: »
    Conor vs GSP breaks the UFC PPV record

Probably. But I don't see the relevance. NSAC don't make money on the PPV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

GSP v Conor at MW as a one off is a win for the UFC and will come close to breaking records

Conor losing though creates a problem though, there's only so many times people will want to hear him say he only lost because the other guy was too big, it won't fly for Joe Duffy after losing to Vick

Why can't we just have fighters rule their own divisions and not have always have these talks of superfights? The only reason there was such intrigue in GSP v Silva or Jones v Silva is because those guys had cleared out the division and there wasn't many real contenders left

All these superfights just dilutes the real fights in divisions, like if Conor defends against Tony it's almost seen as the thing to do until the next superfight

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

GSP v Conor at MW as a one off is a win for the UFC and will come close to breaking records

Conor losing though creates a problem though, there's only so many times people will want to hear him say he only lost because the other guy was too big, it won't fly for Joe Duffy after losing to Vick

He's lost once in the UFC against Diaz on short notice and the best boxer of his era in a different sport you'd swear hes lost a heap of fights and came out with excuses,

GSP McGregor is nailed on certainty not a hope Whittaker fight is happening they'd have faced off on saturday if it was.

Gamebred wrote: »
    He's lost once in the UFC against Diaz on short notice and the best boxer of his era in a different sport you'd swear hes lost a heap of fights and came out with excuses,

GSP McGregor is nailed on certainty not a hope Whittaker fight is happening they'd have faced off on saturday if it was.

Do you think at 185?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Do you think at 185?

170lb probably with a clause that GSP cant come in above a certain weight on fight day, GSP beats the piss out him btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

170lb probably with a clause that GSP cant come in above a certain weight on fight day, GSP beats the piss out him btw.

Have fight-day weigh-ins been done in UFC before?

I just wish the ****er would defend or vacate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Rumors flying around about 219, for an end of year card it's not as good as being made out so could do with some Macfluence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Rumors flying around about 219, for an end of year card it's not as good as being made out so could do with some Macfluence.

It looks pretty good as it stands to be fair. Hard to see McGregor on that one now, it's getting too late, unless its already been agreed. Holm v Cyborg seems to be a more likely headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If the NSAC were happy to authorise the best boxer of his generation against a 0-0 novice then I can't see them saying no to GSP vs Conor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It looks pretty good as it stands to be fair. Hard to see McGregor on that one now, it's getting too late, unless its already been agreed. Holm v Cyborg seems to be a more likely headliner.

Agreed it's a decent card, but I suppose being a Dec30th card I was hoping for a little more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

McGregor is presenting a lot of problems for the future of the UFC. I would say there could be a breakaway organisation if fighters don't defend their belts and instead go after novelty fights with no consequence if you lose. for instance, if McGregor beats Ferguson and then goes on to fight GSP, the whole lightweight card will get held up once again for the guts of a year. When McGregor leaves the UFC which may be sooner than we think, he might as well throw a match over his shoulder as he walks out the door the way it is panning out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement