Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

GSP and his camp seem reticent about 185 in the long term. That said, he could fight and lose to Knuckles and still have the Conor option there. Similarly, Conor could lose to Tony and still have GSP there.

Realistically, and being the consummate pro he is, GSP will come down in weight correctly and in no hurry.

Still, at 170 or thereabouts, can only envisage McGregor getting smothered, ground and pounded and finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

eddie73 wrote: »
    McGregor is presenting a lot of problems for the future of the UFC. I would say there could be a breakaway organisation if fighters don't defend their belts and instead go after novelty fights with no consequence if you lose. for instance, if McGregor beats Ferguson and then goes on to fight GSP, the whole lightweight card will get held up once again for the guts of a year. When McGregor leaves the UFC which may be sooner than we think, he might as well throw a match over his shoulder as he walks out the door the way it is panning out.

Dana has hardly helped though. He gave McGregor a title shot at LW despite him never previously fought in that division. Same for GSP. 4 years out, after clearly losing his last fight, and he gets a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

The Nal wrote: »
    Dana has hardly helped though. He gave McGregor a title shot at LW despite him never previously fought in that division. Same for GSP. 4 years out, after clearly losing his last fight, and he gets a title shot.

Totally agree. There is money at work here as a motivation no doubt. They don't have long term ambitions for the company any more if they are just going to match up big names irrespective of queues or records.

eddie73 wrote: »
    McGregor is presenting a lot of problems for the future of the UFC. I would say there could be a breakaway organisation if fighters don't defend their belts and instead go after novelty fights with no consequence if you lose. for instance, if McGregor beats Ferguson and then goes on to fight GSP, the whole lightweight card will get held up once again for the guts of a year. When McGregor leaves the UFC which may be sooner than we think, he might as well throw a match over his shoulder as he walks out the door the way it is panning out.
    You're blaming McGregor but the history of the UFC is full of nonsensical title shots and inactive champions, long before he came on the scene.

There's nothing new about money fights.

There's nothing new about UFC maneuvering a marketable guy into a title and keeping him there as long as possible via long gaps or strange opponents.

UFC is a for-profit sports entertainment company. I think a lot of fans fundamentally misunderstand what they're watching.

I'm not suggesting the matches are fixed but the matchmaking most definitely is. The matchmaking is not intended to find the best guy, nor to be 'fair' to everyone. It's rigged to make the most money for the UFC. Always has been, always will be. Long before Conor was on the scene. If you think it's a new trend I would suggest putting on a pot of coffee and going back over the history of title fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You're blaming McGregor but the history of the UFC is full of nonsensical title shots and inactive champions, long before he came on the scene.

Absolutely. The issue is when Dana's picks go missing/get beat/retire - McGregors break, Ronda getting beat/retiring - and we're left with a giant black hole like we've had for the last 18 months or so, the very odd PPV aside.

All for big money fights etc but they really could promote another couple of people in the meantime. And stop holding up divisions like the FW and the LW at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

My initial suspicion is that Dana is strong arming whoever else he's in negotiations with for that main event by throwing out McGregor's name. I hope I'm wrong but I just couldn't imagine being in a training camp all through Christmas, being too appealing to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dulux99 wrote: »
    My initial suspicion is that Dana is strong arming whoever else he's in negotiations with for that main event by throwing out McGregor's name. I hope I'm wrong but I just couldn't imagine being in a training camp all through Christmas, being too appealing to him.

The more I think about it and as much as I want it to happen I don't see him going through the final stages of a weight cut on Christmas week, his first Christmas with Jr

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The more I think about it and as much as I want it to happen I don't see him going through the final stages of a weight cut on Christmas week, his first Christmas with Jr

I'm sure the millions he is pocketing will soothe that :)

It's what, 8 weeks out, normally a 12 week camp. So doubt it.

But, Coach JK let it slip/mentioned that he was back in the gym and that they were rolling at the premier last week. And I think he mentioned it was 3 weeks previous when he started back. So those type of timeline numbers add up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I'm sure the millions he is pocketing will soothe that :)

It's what, 8 weeks out, normally a 12 week camp. So doubt it.

But, Coach JK let it slip/mentioned that he was back in the gym and that they were rolling at the premier last week. And I think he mentioned it was 3 weeks previous when he started back. So those type of timeline numbers add up :)
    He'll make just as much money fighting in March though. Personally, if I were him, I couldn't see the appeal of fighting a tough contender like Ferguson so quickly after the biggest payday of all time, and sacrificing Christmas in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

They only chance of Conor fighting in December is because of his obsession with climbing up the Forbes rich list of athletes for 2017 With the cash he'd make on the 31st it would put him up a few more spots, He's spoke about it before loads of times,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Given his lifestyle he is going to need to fight in dec just to pay off xmas. jnr needs new shoes like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They only chance of Conor fighting in December is because of his obsession with climbing up the Forbes rich list of athletes for 2017 With the cash he'd make on the 31st it would put him up a few more spots, He's spoke about it before loads of times,
    He's probably sitting in 2nd place with his boxing earnings. He's not catching Mayweather with any numbers of fights.
    Regardless whether he fights he December or March makes no difference. The rich list goes from July to June.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Seen the 'film last night good watch specially the fight bits can only imagine watching a ufc card in cinema it'd be epic, disappointed there wasnt the build up to 205 in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Don't think McGregor vs GSP will ever happen. Can't understand anyone that would think it's a possibility tbh. He just about got away with fighting Nate at 170, no chance against someone like GSP.

From this point on I see Conor only taking fights where there is little danger of him being taken down, as I think his primary goal is to box again, so he'll only be interested in winning on his feet to highlight that aspect of his fighting game. For that reason I think the Khabib fight will never happen either. Ferguson's the fight now for sure (maybe Nate III at some stage down the line).

I'd be shocked if McGregor doesn't box at some stage in 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Don't think McGregor vs GSP will ever happen. Can't understand anyone that would think it's a possibility tbh. He just about got away with fighting Nate at 170, no chance against someone like GSP.

From this point on I see Conor only taking fights where there is little danger of him being taken down, as I think his primary goal is to box again, so he'll only be interested in winning on his feet to highlight that aspect of his fighting game. For that reason I think the Khabib fight will never happen either. Ferguson's the fight now for sure (maybe Nate III at some stage down the line).

Against who? He'd be blown away against someone like GGG or Canelo. Manny maybe? The Paulie grudge match?
    I honestly see the boxing as a once off.

rob316 wrote: »
    Against who? He'd be blown away against someone like GGG or Canelo. Manny maybe? The Paulie grudge match?
    I honestly see the boxing as a once off.

Well, it's all dependent on if he beats Ferguson and if so, how decisively he beats him.

If he made easy work of him, then hype builds and who fcuking knows what kind of fight they could sell then. The usual laws of skill level don't apply here.

Paulie would be the fight I'd see Dana / Zuffa making as they could sell the grudge match aspect of it and Paulie never shuts the fcuk up so you know the pressers would also help sell it.

I'd see two UFC fights from him next and then maybe the boxing fight around Aug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Why would he go from being one of the top names in one sport to be a nobody in another sport?? Wouldn't make sense. He's already been soundly beaten by one retired fighter, the same thing happening against a vastly less skilled retired fighter would affect his image.

It's not about him going into boxing to compete and rise through the ranks.

It would be about money and I see one or maybe two select boxing fights in his future that would make him serious money (given that he would have a slice of the promotion).

The most Conor will ever make from a UFC fight (after ppv) would be $50m or so (open to correction on that of course but that's the ball park),

Whereas if he was to fight someone like Paulie or Manny, he could make $150m+ easily.

Like I say though, that's all dependent on him winning one or two more UFC fights on his feet and decisively so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I don't see him giving Pauli that sort of payday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't see Manny doing it either.

The big draw before the boxing fight was how would his skills transfer to the boxing ring. One all now know not very well so one of the biggest draws for that fight is no longer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

It's not about him going into boxing to compete and rise through the ranks.

It would be about money

The problem is that as the losses pile up [because no Promoter will pay him what he wants to fight guys his level ala 0-1,etc] his stock will fall and he won't be able to command the money he gets after awhile. Plus the novelty of an MMA fighter fighting a Boxer in a Boxing match will wear off after awhile.

Kavanagh or any of his coaches should show some intelligence and sit Conor down and tell him he's better off sticking with MMA. Boxing is unfeasible long term.

I think it's a tough fight and I would want to see GSP come in lighter (than 170) to even the odds somewhat.

It's not unwinnable; I thought GSP looked very poor on the feet and gassed badly.

Of course he poses a huge danger on the ground but so does Tony, Khabib, Nate. I also think GSPs days of amazing blast doubles are long gone.

My gut tells me Kavanagh would strongly recommend against it. But if the price was right McGregor would do it. GSP vs McGregor in Canada would probably be the biggest UFC card in history.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Boxing is unfeasible long term.

You quoted only the first half of the following sentence from my post. Here it is fully intact:
    It would be about money and I see one or maybe two select boxing fights in his future.

So it isn't about Conor going into boxing long term. It's about him picking one, maybe two fights, were he would clean up giving the terms he would be able to dictate. That's why Mayweather walked away from MayMac with $300m, cause he could call the shots with regards to ppv cuts etc.

Not suggesting Conor would ever get Mayweather ppv numbers but he certainly has the profile to come close if he fights someone the public are interested in seeing him fight and I think Paulie is someone that could draw decent numbers if it happened within the next year.

Again, and I can't overstate this enough, that's all dependent on him winning his next UFC fight(s) decisively. He loses, or scrapes another points decision, and I think that damages his ability in the eyes of the public. I don't think the Mayweather fight did that, despite many people thinking it did. He wins a couple of UFC fights with head strikes and the buzz will start again about him and Paulie and I see him / Dana capitalizing on it.

I mean, it's clear Dana wants to get into boxing promotion, hence all the Zuffa boxing t-shirts throughout MayMac, even shoehorning them into an episode of All Access and who better for him/them to launch that side of things for him than McGregor. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if their is a gentleman's agreement (or maybe even an official one) that in return for Dana backing MayMac, he'd be on their first boxing card.

Time will tell I guess. Until then, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing him back in the Octagon.

You quoted only the first half of the following sentence from my post. Here it is fully intact:

He's diminishing goods in Boxing. The allure of an MMA fighter in Boxing is done. Plus since Mayweather already beat him there's no "______ steps up to defend the honor of Boxing" angle. His only chance of another big payday in Boxing is a Mayweather rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Only a gob****e would want to see him in a boxing match again after the ****show which was may vs mac

ricero wrote: »
    Only a gob****e would want to see him in a boxing match again after the ****show which was may vs mac

Or one of his delusional fanboys [not calling Outlaw Pete that.] that actually thought he did a good job and could have finished Mayweather if he hadn't gotten tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Whereas if he was to fight someone like Paulie or Manny, he could make $150m+ easily.

This is complete nonsense. Neither fight would pay him anything close to that.

This is complete nonsense. Neither fight would pay him anything close to that.

You're talking 2m ppv buys for McGrgeor v Paulie (assuming it happened on the back of another two wins for McGrgeor in the UFC).

They wouldn't be selling ppv for the same as they were MayMac, but the potential is there for him to earn over $100m with promoter cut.

Damn sight more than he gets for a UFC fight or did previously at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

You're talking 2m ppv buys for McGrgeor v Paulie (assuming it happened on the back of another two wins for McGrgeor in the UFC).

They wouldn't be selling ppv for the same as they were MayMac, but the potential is there for him to earn over $100m with promoter cut.

Damn sight more than he gets for a UFC fight or did previously at least.

HE is lucky if he cleared the 100m he keeps spouting from the mayweater fight alone. No way fighting anyone like paulie is getting anywhere near that number

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement