Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,834 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He didn't hit anyone in the ring.

To me it looks like he needs help.

But people want blood before thinking maybe hes loosing the plot which is sad to see.

Did you watch the video? He was on top of the cage and he slaps one of the commission who was IN the cage.

Regardless if you are a fan or not (I am for the most part) this was seriously dumb on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

But people want blood before thinking maybe hes loosing the plot which is sad to see.

He slapped a commissioner and pushed a referee. Help? He needs a dose of cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

You acknowledge that McGregor needs help but you see nothing wrong with him slapping a complete stranger into the face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

dulux99 wrote: »
    Ah yeah sure you can go around slapping anyone and everyone in the face, sure it won't kill them I suppose. Good point.

Genuine lol, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Nobody is demanding "blood" ffs! They're simply pointing out an act of indefensible muppetry for what it is.

I couldn't really care about the slap - there was nothing to it, but that doesn't mean it's alright.

The one that would really piss me off is him running around the cage like he owns the place preventing the referee and medics from doing their job in attending to a fighter who just got KOed. For that, they (I'm not entirely who "they" are in this case) need to come down on him like a tonne of bricks.

• Advertisement

In reality, he has very little to worry about from all of this. Just some bad press maybe?

He will never fight in Ireland again by the looks of it, and he would hardly ever fight in Bellator.

He did get blood on that lovely furry hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Gintonious wrote: »
    In reality, he has very little to worry about from all of this. Just some bad press maybe?

He will never fight in Ireland again by the looks of it, and he would hardly ever fight in Bellator.

He did get blood on that lovely furry hoodie.

He'll just probably get slandered to the heavens again in the Irish press, just as the 'gay slur' drama had died off. He will be painted as a hooligan and that's exactly how he carried on.

At least we get entertainment in here from those trying to defend him.

https://twitter.com/mercedesterrell/status/929067075540324354

Another angle, the fighter who was knocked out getting knocked over by the melee, and then posing outside the ring when he leaves. He does love that attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Maybe they will say it was just a stunt with a prop from a movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

He is an embarrassment (awaits poster saying yeah but he has loads of money etc etc) to himself at this stage.

Conor's antics are just more ammunition for people who think MMA fighters are just thugs and belong in jail and think the sport should be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Wtf is he doing. Acting the complete headcase in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    He is an embarrassment (awaits poster saying yeah but he has loads of money etc etc) to himself at this stage.

Conor's antics are just more ammunition for people who think MMA fighters are just thugs and belong in jail and think the sport should be banned.

The problem is that there are plenty of fans who do have that mentality - you've had people on this forum before advocating that MMA was better back in the days when it was less regulated and there was no USADA, advocating for fighters to be allowed take whatever juice they want as it was more entertaining.

It's one or the other - a regulated, professional sport with clear ground rules (one example might be, oh I dunno, not striking officials) that everyone respects or an ugly, gladiatorial entertainment spectacle. 99% of the time it's the former. McGregor (and others too, e.g. the "mad craic" scenes at KSW a few weeks back) often give the impression it's the latter. Nobody should be above the rules and regulations.

He also tagged PETA in his Instagram story of that fur hoodie he was wearing.

On a serious roll tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

State of anyone trying to play this down-same muppets posting King and post crowns under every Instagram and prob dream of offering up their girlfriends to Conor while they watch
    Time must be getting closer to where tabloids turn on him and start publishing some of the stuff they are sitting on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Id say the commissioner he slapped and the ref he pushed will be suing mcgregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

So, 19 months ago to the day, Joao Carvahlo was the guy Charlie Ward had just beaten.

There are good reasons you can't jump the cage but the biggest reason is that fighters might be in need of urgent medical attention from doctors and it's grossly unfair and unsafe to expect doctors and ambulance personnel to try treat someone while a melee is breaking out around them.

Obviously there are other reasons.

He could have provoked a riot in there if someone threw a punch at Conor he would 100% have swung back resulting in further chaos, which could have seen fans storming the cage. It happened in Glory kickboxing in June this year and it honestly doesn't take a whole lot for a small section of boozed-up fans to storm a ring or a cage.

Refs and commissioners get paid absolute peanuts to do the job they do. They are getting in there to show a duty of care to fighters who could kill them if they wanted. The last thing the sport needs is refs or commissioners afraid to turn up for a thankless job because the peanuts they get paid are not worth the risk of getting assaulted by a fighter or member of the public entering the cage.

Conor needs the book thrown at him. That should begin from SBG - from Matt Thornton (founder), John Kavanagh, Owen Roddy. They should all condemn his actions and make clear they don't reflect SBG values. Put it another way, they are all quick to laud Conor's achievements in attracting members so they should be just as quick to condemn this.

Marc Goddard and the commissioner Conor slapped should press charges both out of principle and out of respect to their professions. They will only protect other refs/commissioners from this nonsense if they take a stand here. No, Conor won't be locked up or handing over a fortune for what he did but they should make this as high profile as they can.

Dana White booted out Jason High and Roy Nelson for far less. Clearly, he won't do that here but for the sport to maintain credibility, I sincerely hope they consider implementing a 6-month to 12-month ban.

Pretty narcissistic and selfish stuff not only to deflect from Charlie's win but to overshadow every fighter on the card who put in a serious shift in camp. For some on this card, this was their big night under the lights and it'll be buried in a footnote under a thousand McGregor headlines.

Sad stuff. The only thing sadder is some of the reaction, summed up neatly by a tweet last month:

https://twitter.com/GoChaela/status/922012090025443329

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

In a ring where people assault each other for people's entertainment??

People need to chill out.

I think people on this thread are bored.....everyday tittle tattle outrage over this and that....it's boredom

as is Conor I might add......he's need to get back fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭R.F.

backspin. wrote: »
    Id say the commissioner he slapped and the ref he pushed will be suing mcgregor.

I doubt it

No idea who the official was, but Marc Godard definitely will not

The video of him outside after it all is even worse! What is he at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Joekers

The video of him outside after it all is even worse! What is he at?

Any link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I like McG as a fighter but as a person and how he handles himself, I despise him now. Few years back you could wrap his antics up in charm but the richer hes got, the less classy hes looked doing it.

Nothing will happen him other than a bit of bad press but in the last few months his true colours have come out.

He needs to lay off whatever hes getting his buzz from too, its not doing him any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

The racism claims were fake news. The homophobic claims were misguided and general media over reaction. But this is truly his lowest moment.

I'm out, I can't say I'm a fan of his any longer. For years I have thought "yeah but the real, behind the scenes Conor...". Turns out when he punched the fist of Nate Diaz, it wasn't out of character like I led myself to believe at the time.

This incident tonight was straight up assault.

Joekers wrote: »
    Any link?

It was sent to me on WhatApp, (stuff travels fast these days!). It should be up soon.

I've no link to post cause its on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

backspin. wrote: »
    Wtf is he doing. Acting the complete headcase in there.

Too much money, too much time on his hands and too many "temptations" out there.

Wish he'd let his teammates have their moment without running into cages to make it all about himself.

Don't think the "commissioner" covered himself in glory either in trying to push him off the top of the cage rather than asking him to get down. That's a nasty fall if you go backwards. Not surprised he lashed out there to be honest.

Needs to get his life in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

What a d*ck thing to do! Why does he have to make himself centre of attention? Why does he have to ruin the winners moment! Such a plank!

Behind all the "businessman" and professional pretence, he's still a f**king dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'm calling it now lads. Mcgregor will fix my toilet for me yet and be glad of the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

He also tagged PETA in his Instagram story of that fur hoodie he was wearing.

On a serious roll tonight.

That fur doesnt look real though?

Most shocking thing is the support he gets from those cretins when he steps outside the ring, Not to mention the idiot almost trampelling the fighter who just got tko'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

At least we get entertainment in here from those trying to defend him.

https://twitter.com/mercedesterrell/status/929067075540324354

Jaw dropping. Absolutely unreal..., that ring girl is gorgeous.

No fighter bashing lads..

• Advertisement

He's some scummer alright. (I don't believe it's fighter bashing to say it in the context of his recent behaviour)

To play the devils advocate, im not sure that Goddard had the authority or mandate to shove him like that. It would be security's job to get him out and they certainly wouldn't do it by shoving.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out because JK and Goddard are very close.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement