Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

dulux99 wrote: »
    Some of the stuff I've read in this thread has left me truly bewildered. Cocaine doesn't make you act all hyped up, we shouldn't judge him too much cos he fights for a living, the official and red pushed him first....

I just can't fathom how any decent respectful fully grown adult could view his knacker actions last night and not be turned off the man. His actions were the actions of a knacker and a bully who is using his stature to just belittle people everywhere he goes. And I say that as someone who's been following his career for years and has paid hard earned money to follow him half way around the world multiple times.

....yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

....yes it does.

Yes, I was pointing out all the nonsense I've read in this thread. I probably worded it poorly but my point was that the guy saying "cocaine doesn't make you act crazy" is talking hoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Massive fan of conors and still am ( in the octagon) but there is no defending this. Best thing he can do now is apologise to the chap he struck and throw him a few quid. Otherwise he should be banned from ringside at these events. As mentioned above there was an injured fighter on the ground whilst others were actually stepping over him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

Being a professional fighter does not mean that you can strike people with impunity. The whole 'sure he's a cage fighter, it's all part of it' doesn't hold up.

Unless he is contracted to fight in a sanctioned bout, he is no more entitled to hit another person than anybody else.

I would consider myself a McGregor fan, but I'm an MMA fan first and foremost, and when I saw that video last night I was disappointed. That behaviour can't be passed of as fight promotion, public persona or any of the other things that myself and others have used to justify his behaviour, either online or in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Massive fan of conors and still am ( in the octagon) but there is no defending this.

Yeah there is. Great stuff. More chaos in the fight game please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

cletus wrote: »
    Being a professional fighter does not mean that you can strike people with impunity.

If anything he’s “less” entitled. Him being a professional fighter means his strikes are much more likely to be more damaging and dangerous. Lethal weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

If this had been Nick Diaz jumping in the ring after a Nate fight, where he had only went at a ref after the ref and went at him, and slapped the head of some ring security guy that had tried to push him off the cage, it'd be: "Nick's a legend!"

It's the fight game, not badminton.

He's not blameless of course....but total overreaction here.

You will defend the man no matter what its actually embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Criminals can sue on the basis that someone used unreasonable force or actions to prevent them from committing whatever crime it was they were about to committ.

Having studied criminal law at length, I would nearly bet my house on it that pushing someone off a cage to stop them entering when they have no right to be there would not be deemed unreasonable in any court of law. It was a perfectly acceptable attempt at preventing what was an illegal maneuver on McGregors part.

I didn’t see it but was there a real need to push a man off a cage, possibly seriously injuring him..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

walshb wrote: »
    I didn’t see it but was there a real need to push a man off a cage, possibly seriously injuring him..?

He made it clear he was intent on assaulting the ref.
    He shouldn't have been on the cage in the first place.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    He made it clear he was intent on assaulting the ref. .

From atop the cage?

Whether he should or should not have been there is irrelevant.

I wouldn’t run someone over in my car just because I may be in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Feel like a gimp for defending him in the past ,so many people saw him for what he is,a nasty little scrote,but I fell for the marketing and BS.
    Hope he gets slept by his next opponent,I’m out

Yeah, there was a hurt fighter in the cage and McGregors behaviour was interferring with that.
    LastLagoon wrote: »
    Feel like a gimp for defending him in the past ,so many people saw him for what he is,a nasty little scrote,but I fell for the marketing and BS.

If theres no marketing and BS you end up with Tyron Woodely or the Klitschkos. Im all for marketing and BS. People take it way too seriously.

Yeah you're right, that commission officially literally doing his job by preventing a member of the public from climbing into the ring while a man had just been KO'd and was in need of urgent medical attention, was a real scumbag. How dare he try to prevent that from happening.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah, there was a hurt fighter in the cage and McGregors behaviour was interferring with that.

If theres no marketing and BS you end up with Tyron Woodely or the Klitschkos. Im all for marketing and BS. People take it way too seriously.

I’ll take a Woodley who fights the best guys who are put in front of him then a ducking diving weasel anyway.guarantee woodley will end up having more of a legacy (on paper anyway) then mcgregor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

From atop the cage?

I guess you missed how he got into the cage the first time around. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Effects wrote: »
    He made it clear he was intent on assaulting the ref. .

From atop the cage?

I wouldn’t run someone over in my car just because I may be in the right.

Lame comparison, would you let a stranger jump through your window to trespass and run riot somewhere he shouldn't be? Would you not try and push him back out the window in self defence and to defuse a potentially volatile situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

your post history isnt that you defended him ?

I’ll take a Woodley who fights the best guys who are put in front of him then a ducking diving weasel anyway.guarantee woodley will end up having more of a legacy (on paper anyway) then mcgregor

No question but its fairly boring.

Tigger wrote: »
    your post history isnt that you defended him ?

How far back did you go you sad twat hope you’re on Conor’s payroll going to that effort.im talking about in real life started having doubts about his scrote behavior in the run up RDA/Diaz 1 when I started realizing it wasn’t an act and you could see the yes men scrubs becoming more prominent around him

Mod: Personal abuse - Cut it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

glasso wrote: »
    probably the worst thing about this is the fact that there was a hurt fighter on the ground in the cage and McGregor didn't give a sh1t and jumped in and made it all about him and hindered the care the guy might have needed. obviously has no respect for the sport that made him rich.

This. Conor was wanted to get the spotlight on him and him alone. If he really wanted to celebrate his teammate's win he would have stood by the cage and waited for him to leave and then hug him and congratulate him. His antics overshadowed the entire event.

This could effect SBG badly since promoters might be weary of booking SBG fighters in case Conor pulls more antics like this. Kavanagh is going to have to man up and tell Conor to knock it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

There's not even one tiny bit of blame on Goddard's part for last night. None. It's astonishing reading comments from people saying the opposite.

I'm a huge Conor fan but that was indefensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tigger wrote: »
    hes not a member of the public
    hes friends with Charlie and hes the most famous Irish MMA fighter ever
    probably the most famous MMA fighter ever at an Irish gig

i personally thought it could have gone worse
    i do think he looked very immature in the ring tho
    Seems to be friends with more than one Charlie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

To roughly quote a fan of Jon Jones:
    He makes it really hard to be a fan.

I would have thought his son being born would have calmed him a bit, not made him worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Goddard was a complete professional, he didn't even give Conor a proper push like some people are making out.

Whatever about all the shenanigans, the poor ****er who was half knocked out got pushed over by Conor trying to get to Marc. He is owed an apology above all else followed by the comissioner, then Marc, then Bellator. Showing off to the crowd when he left the cage just stuck the boot in.

I'm a huge Conor fan but he needs to aknowledge he ****ed up, this isn't "Ah it was blown out of proportion", he was in the wrong, simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I wouldnt hold McG to any higher standards than any other joe soap who went to the 3 Arena last night and by that extension, if anyone went into the octagon seconds after the fight and done what McG done youd call them out on it for being the idiot that they are.

Theres a fine line between faux outrage and fanboys protecting McG but nobody should defend the actions of any person rushing the octagon, it doesnt matter if that person is drunk or high, looking to confront someone or that theyre a celeb.

Strip it all back, McG is 100% in the wrong, in his very best intentions, hes being over zealous in his celebrations with a mate, at the worst, hes gone into the octagon while another fighter was down and through those actions, caused a scene with a ref and after that a commissioner.

I dont it will go further but McG could have unintentionally started something very ugly last night through his actions of entering the octagon and that cant be defended or condoned, not in the manner in which he went about it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Has Kavanagh made a comment yet? if it was his fighter ko'd on the deck and this happened he'd be threatening to pull fighters from promotions I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Gamebred wrote: »
    Has Kavanagh made a comment yet? if it was his fighter ko'd on the deck and this happened he'd be threatening to pull fighters from promotions I reckon.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/929315983885520902

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It even looked as though when he jumped on Ward, he was about to treat him as a threat, dropping to the ground, and about to lay in with a thump until he copped who it was.

I can guess Dec 30th is totally a no go, he's definitely not "secretly in camp."

And this wasn't some "Oh he's a film to promote," or some ****e, this was being boozed up, allegedly coked up, and what started with being overzealous went straight into scaldy.

The officials were doing their job, the fight hadn't been called, someone was injured, and he was hopping about looking to get in a scrap.

This'll do his "I want part ownership/copromotion" angle a lot of harm.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »

John is a shill these days. What happened to the respect aspect of martial arts and SBG in particular? "the sbg way" my arse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement