Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Is he not allowed to have friends, and look after the people he grew up with, or does he have to ditch all the "hangers on" soon as he comes in to a bit of money? Criticism for being loyal. Good one

He seems to have more parasites and leeches then friends at the moment.money changes everything.he needs to shut all social media and off to Iceland to train with Gunni for a few months.let the water carriers sign or get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Is he not allowed to have friends, and look after the people he grew up with, or does he have to ditch all the "hangers on" soon as he comes in to a bit of money? Criticism for being loyal. Good one

A true friend would sit you down and tell you when you're out of order. Not cheer on your self-destruction in fear of being thrown off the gravy train.

Anybody cheering on Conor's antics is not a friend. Just a leech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I suspect they have good reasons for being afraid of criticizing him because I've often wondered why Tom Egan and, to a lesser extent, Chris Fields went from key members of the inner circle to borderline persona non grata, in Tom's case he's dropped a few hints that he wasn't afraid to give it to Conor straight.

I see Chris had a post up on Facebook yesterday saying he was going to focus on the positives over the negatives. Someone commented saying that it was a great night despite others trying to take the limelight and Chris liked the comment.

Nothing good about where this story seems to be going. I wonder what McGregor's super-agent is thinking / how he's attempting to damage control. At this point McGregor's tacky antics are all over US media, Rogan's show, MMA Fighting sites, all major media figures twitter etc.

I think only way out this time (or at least only saving grace for me) would be for Conor to request an appearance on MMA Hour and straight up admit to having being a complete d*%k, agree it was not an acceptable way to behave and talk about how he needs the discipling of camp. People are pretty forgiving - but don't like being played for fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BloodyFunday

A friend of mine says lately he isnt hanging with his usual pals and hes gone off the rails. Terrible waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

A friend of mine says lately he isnt hanging with his usual pals and hes gone off the rails. Terrible waste

Your friends spoofing, gone off the rails yes but still the same group of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BloodyFunday

ASOT wrote: »

I wouldnt recognise them my self. Its crazy how its spiralling tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

I wouldnt recognise them my self. Its crazy how its spiralling tbf.

Its like Rocky 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Cringe at the ''mcnugget'' line Tony is towing, dreadful **** talk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

sc86 wrote: »
    how much has jk made from this?
    bar his book , i would doubt its life change amounts?

Generally speaking, UFC fighter contracts see the fighters pay the gym 10% of their salary and the coaches get 5%. For example, if they are on 20k/20k and lose, the gym would get 2k and the coaches 1k.

Elite fighters like Conor/Ronda/Brock set up flat-fee systems that have a cap on what they pay coaches/gym. Unless JK has the stupidest deal ever negotiated in human history it is impossible he isn't personally a millionaire from Conor's fights alone - regardless of books or gym membership.
    I have to ask why people keep bringing JK into it and expect him to come out publicly and say something? A few points on that, JK is his coach, not his manager, JK is the boss on the mats but it ends there, everywhere else Conor is in charge.

Somebody else earlier was also asking why James Kavanagh stayed quiet surrounding the ****** incident? I mean come on, now bringing JK's family into it?
    JK is, rightly so imo, going to keep his mouth shut on the whole thing.

The reason he SHOULD be speaking out to condemn Conor is far more to do with the fact John doesn't just simply represent SBG. He is also the President of the Irish Mixed Martial Arts Association (IMMAA) and one of his core responsibilities in that capacity is to push the sport towards regulation with a focus on fighter safety - especially head-trauma protocols pre-fight and post-fight.

One of his own fighters representing his gym interfered with post-fight concussion protocols in Ireland. Conor caused a melee in the cage while a fighter clearly needed medical attention. Heaven forbid but if something more serious was wrong with Redmond, those 60+ seconds of Conor causing mayhem would not have helped matters.

Can JK hold that position as President of IMMAA in good faith if he will only speak out on issues that don't involve his own fighters? It's an untenable conflict of interest in my opinion if there's one rule for SBG fighters and one rule for everyone else.

More to the point, nobody is looking for a mob with pitchforks outside Conor's gaf. A simple statement from JK in his IMMAA capacity saying no fighter has the right to scale a cage and interrupt post-fight protocol would be enough. Maybe add he will do all he can to ensure there is no repeat of it from anyone representing his gym.

On a wider point - John is 100% responsible (to an extent) for the behaviour of his fighters in 2 walks of life - 1) While in his own gym 2) While in fights involving his fighters.

He has a proprietary responsibility for the behaviour of his fighters while in his own gym. If a fighter decided to assault the postman, throwing a left hook and breaking his jaw while he delivered the post, the subsequent civil action would likely involve SBG with John as the proprietor. It would be no different to a pub also being sued for someone being assaulted on their property. I.e. there was a case of a Polish lad being awarded 100 grand against The Living Room Bar because he was cracked in the jaw and they failed in their duty of care to protect him.

He also has a responsibility for the behaviour of his fighters on fight night. Part of that is enshrined in the language of the corner licenses, part of it in ACB regulation but mostly in common sense. In between rounds in Gdansk, Marc Goddard went straight to John to tell him he wasn't going to stand for more crap from Conor outside the cage and for John to control his fighter. If it wasn't any of John's responsibility, he wouldn't have done that.

TL;DR - If Conor is off in a treehouse at 4am on his own time and slaps someone, then it has very little to do with John but if it happens in his own gym or at an arena during/after fights involving fighters from SBG, it has plenty to do with him - especially if he wants IMMAA to be taken seriously.

ASOT wrote: »

I haven't seen him with that Dunphy bloke he used to always hang around with in a while actually?

He's still with the same goons, convicted drug dealers who everyone knows are in them videos from the weekend.

I think the criticism of John Kavanagh being happy to just sit back and count his money is somewhat unfair. It's worth remembering that John will have lost money hand over fist for years, let fighters stay with him for free, fed them etc, while at the same time having nothing himself. He has also put in the hard work in the gym with Conor over the years and is entitled to whatever is due from that.

What do people want him to do? If John washed his hands of him and Conor went further off the rails then you'd have people on here saying he should have stuck by him and not ditched him when the going got tough because of how much he has benefited from Conor. For all we know John could be having a word with him every day of the week only for it to be constantly falling on deaf ears. It wouldn't be the first time when it comes to Conor.

I far from agree with everything John does and doesn't do, but he's blameless here IMO.

Paully D wrote: »
    I think the criticism of John Kavanagh being happy to just sit back and count his money is somewhat unfair. It's worth remembering that John will have lost money hand over fist for years, let fighters stay with him for free, fed them etc, while at the same time having nothing himself. He has also put in the hard work in the gym with Conor over the years and is entitled to whatever is due from that.

What do people want him to do? If John washed his hands of him and Conor went further off the rails then you'd have people on here saying he should have stuck by him and not ditched him when the going got tough because of how much he has benefited from Conor. For all we know John could be having a word with him every day of the week only for it to be constantly falling on deaf ears. It wouldn't be the first time when it comes to Conor.

I far from agree with everything John does and doesn't do, but he's blameless here IMO.

Probably all true and I agree with most of this but the fact JK is a complete mouth on social media is the problem here, he comments on everything except when the shist on his own door step.

What do people want him to do? ...

For all we know John could be having a word with him every day of the week only for it to be constantly falling on deaf ears. It wouldn't be the first time when it comes to Conor.

As President of IMMAA, next time he's facing some debate with a TD or journalist calling the sport barbaric, how can he point to the head-trauma protocols they've put in place via Safe MMA when they can say "but sure when Conor disrupted those protocols jumping into the cage and assaulting people, you said nothing and did nothing?".

John's story is inspirational. What he has done for Irish MMA and himself is nothing short of immense and he deserves every cent of whatever he makes and I hope he has continued success for decades to come.

He can still do the right thing here though.

Put it another way, why is it such a big deal to come out publicly saying Conor was in the wrong and he doesn't condone it? What's Conor going to do, up sticks and go fight for Greg Jackson in New Mexico because he faced a tiny bit of criticism?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Dont us humans love watching someone famous having a meltdown.

Its pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Where are these pics of McGregor buying coke in Sin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Meltdown?? FfS lads get a grip.

From MMA Fighting:
    Redmond revealed that McGregor briefly spoke of his respect for both Redmond and Team Ryano head coach, Andy Ryan, during his explosive appearance in the Bellator cage.

“After it he said, ‘I respect you, John’ and, ‘I respect you, Andy’, I guess after seeing the thing with Artem in Poland last month it looks like emotions have boiled over a few times for him,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The Nal wrote: »
    Where are these pics of McGregor buying coke in Sin?

It's the infamous WhatsApp group. If they existed they'd be all over the tabloids. Otherwise the lads in possession of them are missing a trick of making a few k selling them to the Sunday World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Meltdown?? FfS lads get a grip.

You don't think hes loosing the run of himself?

From MMA Fighting:

That's certainly one quote you could pick out of that article but here's a few more...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11/12/16640014/john-redmond-says-conor-mcgregor-overshadowed-his-bellator-bout-influenced-stoppage-vs-charlie-ward
    According to Irish veteran Redmond, McGregor’s behavior overshadowed the fight. He also believes that the UFC lightweight champion’s appearance had an impact on the fight not going into a second round.

“We had a good fight in there and I think him jumping into the cage overshadowed the whole fight and the whole event,” Redmond told MMA Fighting.

“I don’t want to piss and moan about it. I don’t want anyone taking pity on me or anything like that. I didn’t get the win, but I showed I was in charge of the fight up until that big shot at the end of the round.

“I think the fight was far from finished and all the madness that was going on in there didn’t help me getting a chance to go out for the second.”

For Redmond, the “circus” that McGregor created in the ring forced the commission to put an end to the fight as quickly as possible.

“I think there was a lot of panic in the ring as soon as he got in there. I think everybody was just concerned with getting him out of there as quickly as possible,” Redmond said.

“Marc Goddard was going to let the fight go into the second, but then the commission seemed to overrule his decision. I think that decision was swayed because of the circus and madness that was going down at the time. It was just a mad scene. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

He's directly accusing Conor of pressuring Marc Goddard and the Commission into stopping the contest and goes on to demand a rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Jesus lads,I never post here.BUT,he is a Young lad,loaded,the best at what he does.He goes off the rails at times,SO WHAT.It is not his fault, he is a supposed (icon).let him live,I did much worse in my 20,s/30,s.We all eventually grow up.Hats off to him.

That's certainly one quote you could pick out of that article but here's a few more...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/11/12/16640014/john-redmond-says-conor-mcgregor-overshadowed-his-bellator-bout-influenced-stoppage-vs-charlie-ward

He's directly accusing Conor of pressuring Marc Goddard and the Commission into stopping the contest and goes on to demand a rematch.

Yeah, I should have posted the full thing to be fair. That piece just caught my eye initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Jesus lads,I never post here.BUT,he is a Young lad,loaded,the best at what he does.He goes off the rails at times,SO WHAT.It is not his fault, he is a supposed (icon).let him live,I did much worse in my 20,s/30,s.We all eventually grow up.Hats off to him.
    He's young and loaded so fair play to him for carrying on like a bully and being a complete prick to everyone within a few yards of him. Cool, gotcha.

Actually on second reading, he's not a young lad. He's a 29 year old father and business owner. Hes not a 16 year old who's just been thrown into the limelight out of nowhere.

dulux99 wrote: »
    He's young and loaded so fair play to him for carrying on like a bully and being a complete prick to everyone within a few yards of him. Cool, gotcha.

Actually on second reading, he's not a young lad. He's a 29 year old father and business owner. Hes not a 16 year old who's just been thrown into the limelight out of nowhere.[/quot
    Sweet Jesus,I'm very old,if 29 isn't young.I must ring the funeral home,and make arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He's not an oul lad but he's old enough to have a bit of cop on, he's only 3 years younger than me and I don't consider myself old. I know I'm not a teenager anymore though.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    He's not an oul lad but he's old enough to have a bit of cop on, he's only 3 years younger than me and I don't consider myself old. I know I'm not a teenager anymore though.
    So you have never,gone mad,indulged,gone off the rails in ur late,20,s,.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Tazzimus wrote: »

No he's not old, I'm the same age as him, but the poster above trying to justify his behaviour by pointing out his age is ridiculous. Maybe if it was James Gallagher acting like this you could point out his age as an excuse but not for a guy who's almost 30 ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement