Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's some strange victim blaming going on here.

Conor illegally entered the cage while the fight was technically still in progress. Redmond himself blames Conor for the fight being stopped. He had no business in the cage at that particular moment. He then had no business trying to re-enter the cage after being ejected.

Goddard & Officials were well within their rights to try physically remove him.

Blaming them for *anything* is crazy. If you get kicked out of a nightclub and try sneak back in, you don't get to moan if the bouncer gives you a gentle push or forcefully prevents you from getting back in and you certainly don't get to punch him for it. The slow-motion is pretty clear he connected with his knuckles.

During Anderson Silva v Michael Bisping, and in similar confusion, the security official working the gate physically grabbed one of Anderson's cornermen as he entered the cage and pushed him back out. Then a UFC official (twice) grabbed Anderson's arm to gently implore him to get down off the cage because Herb had told him the fight is not over.

Refs and officials often have to put their hands on fighters and cornermen.

The following passage is from the Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) Rules, under which all MMA take their rules from. It is the summation of the ref's responsibilities during a contest:
    "Your job is to protect the safety of the participants, and never permit yourself to be intimidated by any contestant, manager, second, trainer, any person connected with promotion or anyone else. The referee must be in charge at all times."

Marc Goddard was doing his job. The Bellator official was doing his job. Conor was completely in the wrong. Open and shut. Any other interpretation of this incident is wrong.
    I'm not getting into the specifics of this incident as I think this thread has gotten ridiculous.

But just as an FYI, the above logic the incredibly flawed. Being in the right as to doing your job is not carte blanche to do whatever you want to achieve that goal. Using the bouncer as an example, more than one bouncer has ended up in front of a judge for being heavy handed when rightfully ejecting somebody from a venue.
    Again, not talking about here, as I think it's not the point here. I'm just pointing out the gaping hole in the logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If you climbed up on a wall in an attempt to bounce into a gig at Croker (for example) and security pushed you off it, resulting in injury, you don't think they'd be liable? Damn right they would be. You don't have the right to do what you like to someone.. unless there is a serious immediate danger of course and that was far from the case here.

Yes, but none of that was close to causing an injury though.

McGregor wasn’t injured, so your point is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

you can't expect to almost hurt a fighter by pushing them off a cage

He didn't almost hurt a fighter. He almost hurt a member of the general public who was invading the cage.

McGregor was not there in his capacity as a fighter. Nor as a corner man. He was simply a member of the audience who got out of control and charged the cage. If I had been there and tried to climb into the cage I'd fully expect to be manhandled out of there by any means necessary. It's no different to a drunkard trying to attack the bar staff and being dragged out of the pub by the bouncers and tossed in the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Nobody is saying that they were not within their rights to remove him from the octagon, or preventing him from reentering it.

If you climbed up on a wall in an attempt to bounce into a gig at Croker (for example) and security pushed you off it, resulting in injury, you don't think they'd be liable? Damn right they would be.

Compo Ireland culture alive and well. I am going to go out and behave like a complete idiot with no consideration for anyone else. But if anyone confronts me on it or puts me in my place - I will sue them. Maybe instead it should make you think twice about climbing walls and trying to "bounce into a gig". McGregor put himself in the position where the official had to try and prevent him entering the cage. It is a split second decision on how to react and you do not deserve to be struck in the face for doing your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

its one year since McGreggor v Alvarez :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

"Bloke KO'd on floor bout a minute straight and ref trying to say fights not over Conor. That's when I lost it. **** yous all,"

Broke his silence, albeit for about a minute before deleting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Seems to me that when he jumped over and the ref told him the match was still on, he realised that he had at that stage really ****ed up royally and "lost it".

When he ran after the official, he honestly looked like a skanger caught in CCTV footage trying to start a fight with a bouncer outside a nightclub

xtal191 wrote: »

it seems the weekend bender is continuing by the sounds of that! why should Goddard have to explain his refereeing decisions to him? Sounding more unhinged every time. I'm sure he had a whole load of yes men telling him how right he was all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

I can't like him any more. I have massive, massive respect for that he has done over the last 5 years and the great feeling I've had of watching an Irishman become of the biggest and probably the most famous man to ever enter the octagon.

But he's clearly in meltdown. He thinks he's bigger than everyone and everything. I actually don't think I'll be cheering him on at his next fight. I'm just ambivalent to the whole thing at this stage. Someone needs to reign him in fast. JK comes across as terrible too. You can't preach all the stuff he has on Twitter about values, other people's antics, and SBG, and then go completely silent when Conor does this. It's hypocrisy to the max, and just shows he's afraid to lose the gravy train that is Conor.

I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

"That's when I lost it. **** yous all,"

Hopefully not the epitaph for his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

That tweet looks fake to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭xtal191

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Yeah I thought the same when I first read about it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

As in what way ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Hes 29 yearold father people trying to defend his antics must be kids themseleves ,
    Hes a grown man you dont act like that if ur a responsible adult ,
    If any other fan not called McGregor done that on Friday they would have been arrested by the Garda ,
    Hed no right to be any where near the cage not in it not on top of it ,
    If a fan in any sport entered the feild of play and ran after the ref and slapped another offical what would u people say ?
    literally only saying its ok becasue its McGregor thats childish fan boys for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

imagine now on Thursday Ireland score a goal but the ref looks like he may not give it , All of a sudden Messi junps onto the feuld chases the ref around the pitch complaing and slaps the linesman ,
    Now what difference is there in what Conor done ?
    People sticking up for him are fools and make MMA look like a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Hes 29 yearold father people trying to defend his antics must be kids themseleves ,
    If any other fan not called McGregor done that on Friday they would have been arrested by the Garda ,
    If a fan in any sport entered the feild of play and ran after the ref and slapped another offical what would u people say ?
    literally only saying its ok becasue its McGregor thats childish fan boys for you
    I was there on Friday and after the very last fight a young lad pissed up scaled the barricade surrounding the octagon and was instantly jumped on and dragged to the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Literally havnt seen one poster say what he did was ok? Just that the outrage is a bit over the top.

I think both the UFC and SBG would benefit in the long run if they told him to p*ss off for a while and to come back to them when he gets his sh*t together. Yeah he is their biggest star but this allows them to regain some control. The UFC was great before McGregor came along and with cards like 217 they have a lot more to offer. I can see why White and the Fertittas let him loose when they were trying to build a 4bn valuation. But for long term viability, you cant have someone like this thinking they are bigger than the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Can't believe people are defending Conor's actions here, most likely because they believe that if they were to do the same they would feel justified.

How would you react if it was Conor who was KO'd and one of his opponents team mates jumped into the cage in the same way Conor did and acted the same? There would be a witch hunt ensuing here...

He straight up assaulted an MMA commissioner/official.

Regardless of his history with Goddard Conor's actions were massively unprofessional and inexcusable!

I used to be a fan but lately he has turned into a egomaniac. He is almost 30 years old and a recent father, he is turning into an embarrassment.

I was at the Late Late interview and he really did come across well and humble. But this is a step too far, no one has the right to carry on like that, especially a world champion and ambassador to the sport here. He is a professional athlete and assaulted a professional MMA commissioner acting well within his rights in that capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

At this stage i hope tony whoops his ass if they fight next and i say this after being a big Mcgregor fan.

I think he is need of a humbling. Completely gone off him as a person since the diaz rematch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Joe.ie (the pinnacle of Irish media) say the tweet was up for about a minute.
    Now lately they seem like they have an axe to grind having gone from licking his feet to jumping on his head so I'll remain sceptical on the authenticity of that particular tweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can't believe people are defending Conor's actions here, most likely because they believe that if they were to do the same they would feel justified.

How would you react if it was Conor who was KO'd and one of his opponents team mates jumped into the cage in the same way Conor did and acted the same? There would be a witch hunt ensuing here...

He straight up assaulted an MMA commissioner/official.

Regardless of his history with Goddard Conor's actions were massively unprofessional and inexcusable!

I used to be a fan but lately he has turned into a egomaniac. He is almost 30 years old and a recent father, he is turning into an embarrassment.

I was at the Late Late interview and he really did come across well and humble. But this is a step too far, no one has the right to carry on like that, especially a world champion and ambassador to the sport here. He is a professional athlete and assaulted a professional MMA commissioner acting well within his rights in that capacity.

Id like to see more of that kind of thing. Its only the fight game. People take it far too seriously. More chaos please!

The mock outrage is pathetic but thats the modern online world I suppose.

If you feel let down by McGregor over this or anything else, you really need to re-examine your core beliefs and who you admire to begin with.

Let them at it I say. All good banter and good free PR for McGregor and MMA.

I wonder how many more people are going to pay to watch him lose his next fight now?

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

14murphy wrote: »

As in what way ?

The font looks off. That’s the main reason. But also the timing of it & the way it’s written. Might be wrong but just doesn’t look legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

The Nal wrote: »
    Id like to see more of that kind of thing. Its only the fight game. People take it far too seriously. More chaos please!

The mock outrage is pathetic but thats the modern online world I suppose.

If you feel let down by McGregor over this or anything else, you really need to re-examine your core beliefs and who you admire to begin with.

Let them at it I say. All good banter and good PR for McGregor and MMA.

People take a professional sport far too seriously? Were the refs and officials taking the incident far too seriously? No one is allowed to jump on top of the cage, especially after already being told to leave for causing an issue moments before.

If you don't think he acted unprofessionally and hitting someone in the way he did... for doing their job I think you may need to re-examine your core beliefs.

He actively went after an official who is working in a professional capacity within the sport where he is a working professional on 2 occasions on Friday.

I never said I admire McGregor...

The Nal wrote: »

200.gif

This..Mcgregor has always been a thug..Its been obvious from day one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

People take a professional sport far too seriously? Were the refs and officials taking the incident far too seriously? No one is allowed to jump on top of the cage, especially after already being told to leave for causing an issue moments before.

If you don't think he acted unprofessionally and hitting someone in the way he did... for doing their job I think you may need to re-examine your core beliefs.

He actively went after an official who is working in a professional capacity within the sport where he is a working professional on 2 occasions on Friday.

No, people take the fight game far too seriously. The refs and officials dealt with the incident very well. He deserved to be shoved off the cage.

He acted totally unprofessionally. Id like to see more of that in the fight game. Unprecedented stuff really thats made global news. Fantastic.
    I never said I admire McGregor...

You said you were a fan. I was a fan, still am. In the same way I was a fan of Macho Man Randy Savage after he turned on Hulk Hogan.

This..Mcgregor has always been a thug..Its been obvious from day one..
    A few years ago I was told that what I said about him was a veiled reference to him being working class. It really wasn't. I grew up in a very "working class" area and I know the difference between decent people and the other type. It's always been obvious what he is, him achieving some great things doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Joe.ie (the pinnacle of Irish media) say the tweet was up for about a minute.
    Now lately they seem like they have an axe to grind having gone from licking his feet to jumping on his head so I'll remain sceptical on the authenticity of that particular tweet

Seems like exactly the type of tweet he’d send at some dingy house partyafter a long night on the sniff being egged on by some no mark parasites.

Then he deletes ,lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The positive from all this is that a lot of people will be blindly pumping Tony to win now. Conor might even become the underdog - if it ever happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement