Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Watched video on YouTube over the weekend & it had clips of Conor doing this kind of thing years ago.
    Not condoning it just saying he’s always been like that. Not sure if the money & fame has much to do with it but obviously it gets more attention now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Watched video on YouTube over the weekend & it had clips of Conor doing this kind of thing years ago.
    Not condoning it just saying he’s always been like that. Not sure if the money & fame has much to do with it but obviously it gets more attention now.

Yep. Its called "promotion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. Its called "promotion".

Why would a UFC star and wannabe co-owner be promoting Bellator???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Just watched the video of outside the arena again, a clearer and longer one. I'd say he'll be snapping at whoever recorded it, that makes him look awful.

Look, I get it. Drinking, and sniffing, and hanging with the boys is a laugh. Being a dick isn't. And I won't say Dee will be too impressed.

Did Conor have a run in with Goddard before? Even before the Gdansk incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Look at what I can do for them. I'll walk if I don't get what I want, and you'll lose shedloads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Yep, when he was injured with the ACL he was mad at it. Was mostly in camp since he really got famous. He works hard and plays hard, nothing wrong with that. if he's drinking, smoking and snorting every night of the week, it's really none of our business.

Hes in the Conor McGregor business. Hence the millions of posts, hits, articles, rumours, tweets, pub conversations, video shares, outrage on boards.ie etc over the weekend and into today. Bellator barely mentioned. "McGregor this and McGregor that".

This time last year I wasn't long in bed in a Dublin hotel room after a truly memorable, amazing night/morning. Stumbling out of Murray's on O'Connell Street post-fight at about 7am, the capital's main street was thronged with people and the atmosphere was joyous and buzzing...at that time of a Sunday morning and not a one of us going to Mass :eek:

We had all just witnessed a genuine top MMA performance from Conor McGregor to become a two-weight UFC champion. Even the cops who were in Murray's to 'observe' the packed venue were high-fiving and hugging strangers, it was like our UFC equivalent of Italia 90.

"...Two-weight champ does what the fúck he wants".

What an interview, what a statement. Anyone who says otherwise now is either in an extreme minority IMO, or fibbing. It was great in the moment, all of us caught up in the celebrations as Conor looked at himself on the jumbo-tron, a belt on each shoulder - "Wohoo...I dreamed this into reality!"

A year after those words were proclaimed, after the confetti has been recycled and the fireworks absorbed in the ether, the reality of watching the two-weight champ "do what the fúck he wants" has not been what I would have hoped for.

Yeah, fúck what I would had hoped for, and any other fan. However, those of us who were only hoping he'd go on to participate in some more epic MMA bouts, maybe defend some titles, weren't really hoping for something too much or too wild like pigs to fly.

His trajectory in the past year since Alvarez has been disappointing as a fan of his, and also concerning for his MMA future and even his legacy. Sure - Take the massive money fight with Floyd, take time out and enjoy the birth of your first child, but maybe try to look somewhat interested in the UFC or that title which apparently meant so much, just the odd time like. Also, maybe remain dignified and respectful in your public downtime, same goes for any of us.

The Mayweather fight itself was an honorable performance from Conor IMO. Everything outside it was a complete circus though. It made some of the WWE's cringiest promos/stories look absorbing and well executed. I thought the American pundits went overboard with their accusations of racism against Conor and his 'Dance for me, boy' comments, but still, Conor did himself no favours overall with some of his comments and behaviour in the build-up to the Money Fight.

"But that's just Conor selling a fight, he's sound at all other times" - Yeah, that's what I hoped to believe until very recently. That's what I used to say to friends who weren't fans of his or the sport. However, his behaviour at Bellator 187 and beyond (that unrepentant, deleted tweet from this morning) shows a side that I probably believed on some level existed, but really hoped didn't.

From the few videos going around which were taken of his actions at Bellator 187, the timeline and events are well-documented. At no point, in any of it, was he right. Goddard and the other official should not have had a hand put upon them and the whole episode was disgraceful, but the worst part for me was Conor's complete disrespect for the downed fighter, and for all the fighters on the card really.

Whatever about refs, they are in a position of authority. In any sport, refs are disputed with. I'm not trying to defend Conor at all, just emphasise that Conor might not know what it's like to be a ref or an official, but he knows what it's like to be a struggling fighter. He knows what it's like in those moments after you get your bell rung. He knows that him showing up in the 3 Arena in Dublin for an MMA event will be news in itself, never mind him doing what he did and completely making everything about the night (the fighters) a footnote to his antics.

Phrases like "I do what I want" and "I own this town" are great in promos, but watching him live it out and apply it to reality is a different story. From the videos, it seems he was out of control in the 3 Arena. Looking at him run around outside the octagon trying to incite the crowd after pushing Goddard and causing the dazed Redmond to be knocked over, I can't help but see a man drunk on his own power and bullshít, never mind what other influences he might be under. Posters saying he should have been arrested or apprehended there and then, I can't see any confrontation between he and the Gardai going any better than the one with he and Goddard. Things could have gotten so much worse in that scenario IMO.

"I do what I want" should include a vast selection of things to choose from for a man in Conor's position. However, treating Bellator 187 and the 3 Arena like a pitstop on a weekend-long bender should not be one of those things. Shítting all over the sport and its officials, respect-wise, and all over fighters who possess less than 1% of your wealth and even less of your fame, should also be top of the 'Don't do' list.

One year after witnessing the highest point of his career, I've witnessed arguably the lowest. Tapping to Nate has nothing on this. Part of that peak joy and celebration a year ago was the fact that I could be genuinely happy for Conor the man in his victory. It's hard to see me getting to such a 'I'm delighted for him' point again given recent events. I will want to, but unfortunately I feel something might have changed in the past year, culminating in this past weekend's events. I want to be a fan, but he is making it very difficult. I hope he can get his shít together before it falls apart. It needs fibre, moral fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Totally agree with last post. He has done nothing but prove the haters correct the last couple of months. I was at 189 and the dublin bouts was a massive fan however a fan of UFC well before McGregor. He has gone too far now, this **** cannot be condoned. I wouldn't be against UFC trying to show him he isn't bigger than the sport by sanctioning him which might be for the best however can't see that happening yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

This time last year I wasn't long in bed in a Dublin hotel room after a truly memorable, amazing night/morning. Stumbling out of Murray's on O'Connell Street post-fight at about 7am, the capital's main street was thronged with people and the atmosphere was joyous and buzzing...at that time of a Sunday morning and not a one of us going to Mass :eek:

We had all just witnessed a genuine top MMA performance from Conor McGregor to become a two-weight UFC champion. Even the cops who were in Murray's to 'observe' the packed venue were high-fiving and hugging strangers, it was like our UFC equivalent of Italia 90.

"...Two-weight champ does what the fúck he wants".

What an interview, what a statement. Anyone who says otherwise now is either in an extreme minority IMO, or fibbing. It was great in the moment, all of us caught up in the celebrations as Conor looked at himself on the jumbo-tron, a belt on each shoulder - "Wohoo...I dreamed this into reality!"

A year after those words were proclaimed, after the confetti has been recycled and the fireworks absorbed in the ether, the reality of watching the two-weight champ "do what the fúck he wants" has not been what I would have hoped for.

Yeah, fúck what I would had hoped for, and any other fan. However, those of us who were only hoping he'd go on to participate in some more epic MMA bouts, maybe defend some titles, weren't really hoping for something too much or too wild like pigs to fly.

His trajectory in the past year since Alvarez has been disappointing as a fan of his, and also concerning for his MMA future and even his legacy. Sure - Take the massive money fight with Floyd, take time out and enjoy the birth of your first child, but maybe try to look somewhat interested in the UFC or that title which apparently meant so much, just the odd time like. Also, maybe remain dignified and respectful in your public downtime, same goes for any of us.

The Mayweather fight itself was an honorable performance from Conor IMO. Everything outside it was a complete circus though. It made some of the WWE's cringiest promos/stories look absorbing and well executed. I thought the American pundits went overboard with their accusations of racism against Conor and his 'Dance for me, boy' comments, but still, Conor did himself no favours overall with some of his comments and behaviour in the build-up to the Money Fight.

"But that's just Conor selling a fight, he's sound at all other times" - Yeah, that's what I hoped to believe until very recently. That's what I used to say to friends who weren't fans of his or the sport. However, his behaviour at Bellator 187 and beyond (that unrepentant, deleted tweet from this morning) shows a side that I probably believed on some level existed, but really hoped didn't.

From the few videos going around which were taken of his actions at Bellator 187, the timeline and events are well-documented. At no point, in any of it, was he right. Goddard and the other official should not have had a hand put upon them and the whole episode was disgraceful, but the worst part for me was Conor's complete disrespect for the downed fighter, and for all the fighters on the card really.

Whatever about refs, they are in a position of authority. In any sport, refs are disputed with. I'm not trying to defend Conor at all, just emphasise that Conor might not know what it's like to be a ref or an official, but he knows what it's like to be a struggling fighter. He knows what it's like in those moments after you get your bell rung. He knows that him showing up in the 3 Arena in Dublin for an MMA event will be news in itself, never mind him doing what he did and completely making everything about the night (the fighters) a footnote to his antics.

Phrases like "I do what I want" and "I own this town" are great in promos, but watching him live it out and apply it to reality is a different story. From the videos, it seems he was out of control in the 3 Arena. Looking at him run around outside the octagon trying to incite the crowd after pushing Goddard and causing the dazed Redmond to be knocked over, I can't help but see a man drunk on his own power and bullshít, never mind what other influences he might be under. Posters saying he should have been arrested or apprehended there and then, I can't see any confrontation between he and the Gardai going any better than the one with he and Goddard. Things could have gotten so much worse in that scenario IMO.

"I do what I want" should include a vast selection of things to choose from for a man in Conor's position. However, treating Bellator 187 and the 3 Arena like a pitstop on a weekend-long bender should not be one of those things. Shítting all over the sport and its officials, respect-wise, and all over fighters who possess less than 1% of your wealth and even less of your fame, should also be top of the 'Don't do' list.

One year after witnessing the highest point of his career, I've witnessed arguably the lowest. Tapping to Nate has nothing on this. Part of that peak joy and celebration a year ago was the fact that I could be genuinely happy for Conor the man in his victory. It's hard to see me getting to such a 'I'm delighted for him' point again given recent events. I will want to, but unfortunately I feel something might have changed in the past year, culminating in this past weekend's events. I want to be a fan, but he is making it very difficult. I hope he can get his shít together before it falls apart. It needs fibre, moral fibre.

Is that you, Wonder? :D

Great post!

• Advertisement

It needs fibre, moral fibre.

The fight game needs moral fibre? Why?

McGregors "disappointing" year since Alvarez (where he earned $10m ish) has earned him $100 million. He has people in his pocket. The video of him in the carpark on Friday night laughing, dancing about and getting people to take his photo is all the evidence you need.

His next fight - against whoever it is - has just become even bigger due to some clever promotion on his part. And a bigger pay day for his opponent and the UFC as a result.
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    He has done nothing but prove the haters correct the last couple of months.

Same for Tyson post prison. He was a bigger money draw then. The entire point is trying to prove the haters right. They're the ones who cough up the cash to see him get beaten. New customers. More money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

1 year ago i was in new york - what a night
    a year to the day nearly and he is self imploding

so will he get his sh1t together?
    Thinks that the UFC money isn't good enough for him anymore after his big Mayweather payday - but that was a one-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Look at what I can do for them. I'll walk if I don't get what I want, and you'll lose shedloads.

Or they might be better off in the long run

McGregors "disappointing" year since Alvarez (where he earned $10m ish) has earned him $100 million. He has people in his pocket. The video of him in the carpark on Friday night laughing, dancing about and getting people to take his photo is all the evidence you need.

His next fight - against whoever it is - has just become even bigger due to some clever promotion on his part. And a bigger pay day for his opponent and the UFC as a result.

I didn't say that the fight game needs moral fibre. It was just an attempt at a creative way of saying that Conor needs to cop on, by metaphorically tying it into the 'get his shít together' statement I wrote in the previous sentence.

Also, I didn't say it's been a disappointing year for Conor himself, I meant it and wrote that it's been disappointing as a fan who has supported him. It's been a fúcking great year for Conor himself. He's out on the sesh of the year and I'm here on the internet explaining the link between 'get his shít together' and moral fibre. It's been disappointing as someone who just wants to see him fight some MMA, and who thought the behaviour in his fight promos was just for show. Not his actual way of life.

As for all the promo stuff, the fact that such behaviour at the 3 Arena sells fights is all well and good for him. However, I don't buy it as an honorable promo technique or as a way of conducting yourself in public. No matter how many fights it sells. And I say this as someone who didn't really care either way that he threw a Monster Energy can at Nate.

You speak like someone who knows more about him than I do, and that's grand, I don't follow him outside of his fights and the build-up, and I'm not as experienced with the sport as others. This past weekend's events were very hard to ignore though, they were all over the MMA sites for example, and they've certainly opened my eyes to some apparent truths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Yep, when he was injured with the ACL he was mad at it. Was mostly in camp since he really got famous. He works hard and plays hard, nothing wrong with that. if he's drinking, smoking and snorting every night of the week, it's really none of our business.

I was on about him jumping into the cage like a crazy man celebrating with his teammates. It’s always been over the top. That’s his personality.

This Ward fight was a nothing fight. It’s funny to compare Conor’s reaction and the way the others celebrate when he actually does something amazing.

I didn't say that the fight game needs moral fibre. It was just an attempt at a creative way of saying that Conor needs to cop on, by metaphorically tying it into the 'get his shít together' statement I wrote in the previous sentence.

Also, I didn't say it's been a disappointing year for Conor himself, I meant it and wrote that it's been disappointing as a fan who has supported him. It's been a fúcking great year for Conor himself. He's out on the sesh of the year and I'm here on the internet explaining the link between 'get his shít together' and moral fibre. It's been disappointing as someone who just wants to see him fight some MMA, and who thought the behaviour in his fight promos was just for show. Not his actual way of life.

As for all the promo stuff, the fact that such behaviour at the 3 Arena sells fights is all well and good for him. However, I don't buy it as an honorable promo technique or as a way of conducting yourself in public. No matter how many fights it sells. And I say this as someone who didn't really care either way that he threw a Monster Energy can at Nate.

Yeah I agree with wanting to see him fight. Same for all great fighters. A year since hes fought in the UFC is disappointing of course. The fact that hes never defended a belt is disappointing too.

Theres no honorable way of promoting yourself in the fight game and still get to the heights he has though. Same for Tyson, Ali and all the way back to Jack Johnson. Even Anthony Joshua is getting nasty now.

And in a career that can kill people, or seriously damage people, I can't blame them. Scurrying around trying to make as much money as quickly as possible. One big punch to an eye socket or something could end his career.
    This past weekend's events were very hard to ignore though, they were all over the MMA sites for example, and they've certainly opened my eyes to some apparent truths.

Exactly what McGregor would've wanted. Job done! Millions of column inches for free.

Here he is celebrating his successful antics with his pathetic bunch of leeches after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Of course his antics arent bad for self promotion . People will pay to see him win some will pay to see him lose.

He is acting like a complete goon though. I will still watch him fight of course but as a person no thanks.

Him and his mates are the type who could get your flight grounded on the way to Ibiza and you pray they aren't staying in your hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

As President of IMMAA, next time he's facing some debate with a TD or journalist calling the sport barbaric, how can he point to the head-trauma protocols they've put in place via Safe MMA when they can say "but sure when Conor disrupted those protocols jumping into the cage and assaulting people, you said nothing and did nothing?".

John's story is inspirational. What he has done for Irish MMA and himself is nothing short of immense and he deserves every cent of whatever he makes and I hope he has continued success for decades to come.

He can still do the right thing here though.

Put it another way, why is it such a big deal to come out publicly saying Conor was in the wrong and he doesn't condone it? What's Conor going to do, up sticks and go fight for Greg Jackson in New Mexico because he faced a tiny bit of criticism?!?

McGregor can't go anywhere and he knows it. In any other country he'd be thrown in the clink as soon as they'd look at him. If he did what he did in Dublin somewhere in the states he'd have his mugshot all over the place by now.
    McGregor like a lot of his knackery ilk know that by staying in their comfort zone in Dublin that they likely won't be touched for doing drugs, minor assaults etc. Different story when they step off this island though and its not like he has many options to train anywhere else in Ireland even if he fell out with SBG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha that tweet was actually real. Definitely taking a leaf out of Jon Jones book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I doubt that it's become even bigger. Who is going to buy a McGregor ppv off the back off that who wasn't going to watch his next fight anyways?

If anything, it might put some McGregor fans with little or no interest in MMA off paying to watch a fight broadcast at 6am, if his fights are going to be PPV in the UK and Ireland moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This has probably already been posted but here's a link to his deleted tweet ;

https://i.imgur.com/0z3IbzZ.jpg

As I suspected earlier , as of 12.37am this morning he still seemed to be off his face judging on the wording of the tweet.

He's insinuating that he had John Redmond's best interests at heart there. If he was that worried then I don't know if trampling all over the guy was advisable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

dulux99 wrote: »

As I suspected earlier , as of 12.37am this morning he still seemed to be off his face judging on the wording of the tweet.

He's insinuating that he had John Redmond's best interests at heart there. If he was that worried then I don't know if trampling all over the guy was advisable

Where did that pic come from? The one earlier from joe.ie is timestamped 8.37am. Possibly the one you have was snapped by somebody in America

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

The font looks off. That’s the main reason. But also the timing of it & the way it’s written. Might be wrong but just doesn’t look legit.

I have notifications enabled for Conor when he tweets. I seen the tweet it had been live for about 30 seconds. I never thought of grabbing a screen shot but those are from his account, wether it be him that wrote them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Where did that pic come from? The one earlier from joe.ie is timestamped 8.37am. Possibly the one you have was snapped by somebody in America
    Saw it on Reddit, so very possibly someone in the states screenshotted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

ricero wrote: »
    At this stage i hope tony whoops his ass if they fight next and i say this after being a big Mcgregor fan.

He's already using the "He's not a money fight" to duck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

He's a charmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

So likely still on the sniff at half eight this morning. I would hope a sober person wouldn't make a tweet like that.

Such a skangery gait.

oQVy8Y.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Wow. We now have people who can tell what drugs he is doing, and what kind of house he is in based on the wording of an angry tweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement