Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

Asus X540L wrote: »
    4 months during the summer holidays for BITING opponents is not a slap on the wrist?

plus 9 international matches which kept him out the best part of a year from playing for his national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

glasso wrote: »
    plus 9 international matches which kept him out the best part of a year from playing for his national team.

My hole.
    Considering he's done it before he should have been barred for life, which he would have if it was someone like Kevin Kilbane, not a "star" on his way to the nou camp.

well the UFC has less credibility than FIFA. they've already made up some bs about a fight about McGregor was due to have at the end of Dec that he's now "pulled from". probably nothing much will happen. if it was some random fan who jumped into the cage and did what McGregor did they would be banned from all mma events for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Conor should just do a presser and say the following.

The SBG junior members have to sign a code of conduct when they join which says among other things:
    Members should:
    "Represent their team, their club and their family with pride and dignity"
    "respect all coaches, officials and opponents"
    "Never shout at or argue with a competition official...and should never use violence"

http://www.sbgireland.com/s/SBG-Students-COC_Jan-2016.pdf

Presumably the pros don't have such a code but it begs the question - who do most of those young members look up to? I think it's fair to say a lot of them joined because of McGregor.

So on the one hand John has the kids signing a code of conduct with the above rules, and then he turns around and goes on national TV grinning and smirking about McGregor shoving and slapping officials. "Oh you see he was very emotional because Charlie is his close friend...". He's sending very mixed messages to the younger generation.

It's shocking how badly they have handled this.

• Advertisement

Something creepy about Kavanagh.
    I'd imagine he has a few skeletons in the closet.

glasso wrote: »
    well the UFC has less credibility than FIFA..

Is it possible to have less credibility than Sepp Blatter and FIFA?

yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tigger wrote: »
    lol
    what do they say?

I'd say he's implying they say something along the lines of 'Howya boss'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He got pulled from diddly squat. There wasn't a hope he was fighting this year. UFC just telling fibs to appease the ABC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

sadly i believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Lads ye are all being very harsh.conor must be going through a lot at the moment,his buddies in the kinihan cartel are under the cosh (if the media are to be believed). Maybe his concerns about future supply shortages played a part in Friday’s antics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Well Kavanagh managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Has the MMA forum been overtaken by after hours bods with a Conor McGregor chip on their shoulder or summat?

Da Durty Dub!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Turncoats on the forum will be all locked come march when he takes Fergusons head clean off and celebrating him again at 5am

War McGregor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Gamebred wrote: »
    Turncoats on the forum will be all locked come march when he takes Fergusons head clean off and celebrating him again at 5am

War McGregor

That's as believable as Conor being pulled from a card that he was never announced as being part of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Well done to Conor found loophole to prevent him actually having to defend a belt. Best punishment would have been to make him defend it...he'd hate to have to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'd say he's implying they say something along the lines of 'Howya boss'

yeah well he should just say it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I thought I was chatting up a nurse one night.
    Anyway woke up beside this wan in a caravan. I goes "I thought you said you were a nurse" she goes "nah boss I said I was one of the Ward sisters"

id do it but inwouldnt tell anyone i did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tigger wrote: »
    yeah well he should just say it then

Maybe he's afraid of being christened '****e in the bucket'

Couple of posts tonight from Conor on FB, one pictured with 2 of the lads and saying something about jealous c**ts which was swiftly deleted. Possibly because he was boasting about what he was wearing but the comments were quick to point out his sweaty pits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

put him in the camel clutch, break his back, **** his ass, and make him humble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

War McGregor

This will be me, though I don't think that should stop us from being allowed to call Conor out on his behaviour on Friday.

Couple of posts tonight from Conor on FB, one pictured with 2 of the lads and saying something about jealous c**ts which was swiftly deleted. Possibly because he was boasting about what he was wearing but the comments were quick to point out his sweaty pits

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Probably all true and I agree with most of this but the fact JK is a complete mouth on social media is the problem here, he comments on everything except when the shist on his own door step.
    Gamb!t wrote: »
    Always liked JK as he comes across as a sensible and nice fella but he's left himself and his gym down there I feel with a half arsed apology.

The hypocrisy is nothing new (see below) but I still find the non-reaction to this incident very disappointing from the perspective he represents Irish MMA as President of IMMAA (I'll get to that).

November, 2013: John sticking the boot into Anthony Gutierrez for the manner in which he missed weight by 4lbs on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF 18), claiming if any SBG fighter showed such brazen indiscipline they'd be kicked out of his gym.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/403647390915522560

March 2017: Sly dig after Khabib misses weight:

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/837743346986680321

September, 2016: John Phillips weighs in for BAMMA and misses by 12.2lbs. He subsequently gave different accounts for missing weight such as a niggling knee injury and personal problems but the consistent excuse in every version was that he couldn't locate an available sauna on the morning of weigh-ins.

https://twitter.com/BAMMA/status/774251685522857984

Despite statements like the above (and below),

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/500306035920621570

Phillips was not booted off the team. In fact, the opposite - JK mounted a fierce (and successful) social media campaign to get him into the UFC.

October 2015: Sly dig at Joe Duffy and Tristar - hinting that their training methods were inferior to SBG's and were to blame, posting this an hour after Joe pulled out of the Dublin UFC main event against Poirier due to injury.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/656950826834010112

October 2017: James Gallagher pulls out of the Dublin Bellator main event fight due to injury.

No negative comment or blaming of SBG training methods.

January 2015: John "embarrassed to be Irish" because a school postponed an anti-homophobia workshop for a few weeks, something he called a "disgrace".

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/560201457354690561

October 2017: Conor caught using the F-word slur multiple times.

No negative comment or embarrassment to be Irish.

March 2014: Asks followers to spread the word to try get Danish Judges in trouble for bad/biased judging in failing to award Sinead Kavanagh a round she probably won.

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/448102109863751680

January 2015: 16 media outlets scored the Sean Spencer v Cathal Pendred fight. All 16 outlets scored it for Spencer, with 12 of them giving it 30-27 to him.

No negative comment or accusation of bias for the Judges awarding Cathal the victory (or for the couple of dodgy decisions Irish fighters got at IMMAF's)

March 2016: John with a long post stating all Irish MMA events must meet certain safety standards, partially including -

"2 doctors cage side accompanied by a paramedic crew who took care of pre fight medical checks and cleared all fighters after the contest. The standard has been set for all future shows and I would ask all promoters and coaches to contact the IAPA and make sure their event is sanctioned by the IAPA to ensure these standards are maintained."

November 2017: Conor jumps the cage, disrupts medical attention being given to John Redmond (who clearly needed it) and the resulting melee blocked the cage entrance for ease of access for paramedics (if needed). Also assaulted an official and put his hands on the ref.

No comment, other than to say it's understandable Conor got so excited because Charlie lost a couple of recent fights and they are close pals.

The sheer hypocrisy of it all I completely understand because we're all human and we're all guilty of it. But at the same time it boggles my mind what it achieves to constantly throw people under the bus for no reason for things he tolerates himself from his own fighters.

Injuries happen. Joe Duffy didn't intentionally get injured so close to a big fight no more than James Gallagher did. Firas Zahabi and the coaches at Tristar are professionals who do their best to get their fighters to fight night healthy. What on Earth is there to gain in kicking them while Joe was down?

Weight cutting is hard. Anthony Gutierrez and Khabib didn't set out to miss weight and jeopardize their future careers no more than John Phillips did. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it happens by a fair few pounds. Niggling injuries, illnesses, antibiotics, personal issues, botched weight-management. Tiramisu! It happens. Why stick the boot in when you know how hard it can be?

Judging is difficult. They are human and they make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes will go in your favour, sometimes they'll go against you. Why try get the Danish judges in trouble when you've no issues taking a dubious decision when it gives Cathal a win? For a more apples-to-apples comparison, I've seen Irish fighters awarded dubious IMMAF decisions too and I highly doubt there was a conspiracy there either.

Fighter Safety is Important. JK deserves a huge pat on the back for the leaps made in improving fighter safety in Irish MMA. But for the love of God have the courage of his convictions to condemn any fighter pulling a stunt that interferes with a doctor giving a fighter much-needed medical attention.

You'd swear Conor is the only Irish fighter ever who loves his team-mates to bits and gets excited when they snap a 2-fight-losing streak.

His behaviour wouldn't be tolerated at a Sunday League kids game in soccer, GAA or rugby - nevermind at the professional level in any of those sports. As President of IMMAA he needs to have the backbone to publicly state what Conor did was completely unacceptable, that it reflects badly on the sport in this country and steps will be taken to try avoid a repeat.

I guarantee if a Team Ryano fighter representing Ireland at the IMMAF's jumped the cage and assaulted a ref or official, John would have them banned for life and issue a strong statement. Conor, like it or not, represents Irish MMA as a whole - the least that can be done is a statement.

It was circus-like stuff at best and he'll be the first to complain when Irish MMA continues to be treated like a circus in this country or when he goes on to debate the likes of Tom McGurk. When it becomes apparent to the McGurk's of the country that there's no consequences in Irish MMA for behaviour that wouldn't be tolerated in any other Irish sport, how can we expect them to treat us like any other sport?

It's sad stuff because as much as this post indicates otherwise, I've enormous respect for John's career and achievements. He's a legend. Conor is too. I wish them every success in the future. I also wish they'd start acting like legends and not bell-ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's exactly a year since he won the LW belt, its getting beyond a joke. Defend or vacate simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I love you wonder! Again , your a wasted talent on this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rob316 wrote: »
    It's exactly a year since he won the LW belt, its getting beyond a joke. Defend or vacate simple as.

They should bring in a deadline for defending a belt. Thats 2 divisions hes held up now in 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kavanagh is nothing but a yes man and a egomaniac these days. No wonder most of his team are a bunch of arseholes. Seems to be a lack of discipline in SBG the past year or so

• Advertisement

Can't figure out if this is a serious cash grab or a joke. Probably the former.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement