Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ricero wrote: »
    Kavanagh is nothing but a yes man and a egomaniac these days. No wonder most of his team are a bunch of arseholes. Seems to be a lack of discipline in SBG the past year or so

What you see outside the gym is probably not what you see inside the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ricero wrote: »
    Kavanagh is nothing but a yes man and a egomaniac these days. No wonder most of his team are a bunch of arseholes. Seems to be a lack of discipline in SBG the past year or so

From what I understand the gym is as disciplined as they come.

Kavanagh is McGregors coach. He has nothing to do with what Conor or anyone else does in the media etc. Just like Angelo Dundee had nothing to do with Ali in the Nation of Islam. But when he turns up to the gym, they work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Injuries happen. Joe Duffy didn't intentionally get injured so close to a big fight no more than James Gallagher did. Firas Zahabi and the coaches at Tristar are professionals who do their best to get their fighters to fight night healthy. What on Earth is there to gain in kicking them while Joe was down?
    Injuries happen all the time, I'm injured myself right now. But wasn't that comment about getting concussed in camp specifically? I don't think he'd have commented if Joe sprained his knee (or maybe he would).
    I'm not saying I agree with him btw, as concussions do happen. Just pointing it out.
    Weight cutting is hard. Anthony Gutierrez and Khabib didn't set out to miss weight and jeopardize their future careers no more than John Phillips did. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it happens by a fair few pounds. Niggling injuries, illnesses, antibiotics, personal issues, botched weight-management. Tiramisu! It happens. Why stick the boot in when you know how hard it can be?
    Missing by 12lbs because he couldn't find a sauna is laughable tbh. Lessons learned from both I hope.

Judging is difficult. They are human and they make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes will go in your favour, sometimes they'll go against you. Why try get the Danish judges in trouble when you've no issues taking a dubious decision when it gives Cathal a win? For a more apples-to-apples comparison, I've seen Irish fighters awarded dubious IMMAF decisions too and I highly doubt there was a conspiracy there either.
    I disagree and agree with this one.
    Judges make mistakes, they aren't infallible of course. But they also arent inculpable. If they make a grosse error, a fighter or team is within their rights to raise the issue. But the correct channel is an appeal not Twitter. It's really silly holding them to the same in regards their own team. Nobody should be expected to lodge an appeal against their own team.

Fighter Safety is Important. JK deserves a huge pat on the back for the leaps made in improving fighter safety in Irish MMA. But for the love of God have the courage of his convictions to condemn any fighter pulling a stunt that interferes with a doctor giving a fighter much-needed medical attention.
    John should have the balls to condemn Conor's actions publicly. I understand why he didn't, but I don't agree with it.
    Greg Jackson should have condemned Jon Jones, he apparently didn't and look what happened there.

Also, medical staff should do their job regardless of the fracas around the cage. Not blaming, just an observation.

"He was a little bit over emotional there, but you sort of understand when you know his and Charlie’s relationship over the last number of years."

The only honest thing that Coach Kavanagh said!
    Freudian slip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Audie Attar has denied that Conor was removed from UFC 219. I can't believe there are many people who really thought it was true. Also the Bellator employee's name is Michael Johnson. If the UFC fighter Michael Johnson doesn't use that to campaign for a McGregor fight then he is a fool! :P:P

• Advertisement

Also Georges St. Pierre has moved up another place in the P4P rankings to 2nd pushing Conor to 3rd. I guess this will be the extent of the punishment Conor gets from them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

cliggg wrote: »
    Audie Attar has denied that Conor was removed from UFC 219. I can't believe there are many people who really thought it was true. Also the Bellator employee's name is Michael Johnson. If the UFC fighter Michael Johnson doesn't use that to campaign for a McGregor fight then he is a fool! :P:P

RTE reporting all day that he has been pulled from it as punishment. What a joke.

RTE reporting all day that he has been pulled from it as punishment. What a joke.
    I agree but it's a smart move by the UFC too I think. When Dana is asked about it in interviews he'll just say "Conor lost out on a lot of money because we pulled him off that card as punishment". Actually punishing him means he won't fight for them again.

I agree but it's a smart move by the UFC too I think. When Dana is asked about it in interviews he'll just say "Conor lost out on a lot of money because we pulled him off that card as punishment". Actually punishing him means he won't fight for them again.

Of course it's a shrewd move from UFC, it just pisses me off that people will think he was punished, pulled from a card he was never on. Bit like meisha tate telling me I can't bang her anymore :-/

Of course it's a shrewd move from UFC, it just pisses me off that people will think he was punished, pulled from a card he was never on. Bit like meisha tate telling me I can't bang her anymore :-/
    If you visualize it you will create the "Law of Attraction" and it will happen...

• Advertisement

If you visualize it you will create the "Law of Attraction" and it will happen...

My arm is sore from all the visualization!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

You know after Mayweather I thought Conor will have made enough to make it impossible to **** it all up but seeing him lately, drug fueled, violent and illegal escapades with himself and his entourage, and saying on the late late he's starting stuff like a whiskey business and a tailoring business, I'm not so sure. Does he thinks "Old McGregor's finest Irish whiskey" or "Conor's of Crumlin Row" is gonna take on Jameson or Saville's?

Asus X540L wrote: »
    You know after Mayweather I thought Conor will have made enough to make it impossible to **** it all up but seeing him lately, drug fueled, violent and illegal escapades with himself and his entourage, and saying on the late late he's starting stuff like a whiskey business and a tailoring business, I'm not so sure. Does he thinks "Old McGregor's finest Irish whiskey" or "Conor's of Crumlin Row" is gonna take on Jameson or Saville's?

I'm not sure that attaching his name to anything would be a wise business move, on his part or other investors or for that matter sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Asus X540L wrote: »

I'd imagine it'd be pretty low risk financially for him. I'd say it's just him putting his name to some sort of generic product. You're right, though... I don't see who in their right mind would actually buy McGregor whiskey or his suits over actual reputable makers of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

cliggg wrote:

My arm is sore from all the visualization!

Jesus christ lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Do people think he's making the whiskey and the suits himself, or he has Dee out the back with a sewing machine?

He's sticking his name on a whiskey made by professionals.

The suits are being made by his tailor from Louis Copeland, or at least he'll be the one designing them.

Conor is just a famous name on them. He might have some tiny input but nothing mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Still Ill wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'd be pretty low risk financially for him. I'd say it's just him putting his name to some sort of generic product. You're right, though... I don't see who in their right mind would actually buy McGregor whiskey or his suits over actual reputable makers of those things.

I'm interested to know more about the whiskey actually aged 5 years and single pot still sounds interesting but it will probably be at a rip off price.

He likes whiskey so much he seems to solely drink screwdrivers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

https://instagram.com/p/BbfA5HMgGMc/

He fights on 219 you heard it here first.

Full apology on instagram now. All is forgiven. Let's move on

Interesting he uses carvalhos death as an excuse

• Advertisement

Rubbish apology. Second guessing where Marc was going with his decision when he was taking time to assess the situation also disrespectfully misspelled his name perhaps trying to make it sound like Gonad.

Oh and by the way sorry to all my fans who I told to **** off and called them jealous *****.

Yes this will make everything okay Conor well done.

Interesting he uses carvalhos death as an excuse

Scummy move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Apology doesn't excuse actions. He should still be punished.

Also, unless you're completely blind, (which, let's face it, a lot on here are) it's clearly half arsed where he's gone out of his way to explicitly exclude Marc "Gonard" from anything remotely resembling a sincere apology.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Rubbish apology. Second guessing where Marc was going with his decision when he was taking time to assess the situation also disrespectfully misspelled his name perhaps trying to make it sound like Gonad.

Oh and by the way sorry to all my fans who I told to **** off and called them jealous *****.

Yes this will make everything okay Conor well done.

Ye asked for an apology, ye got an apology, I don't think even he can afford a time machine, nothing more he can do.

Ye asked for an apology, ye got an apology, I don't think even he can afford a time machine, nothing more he can do.

He didn't really apologise at all though he blamed Goddard for a decision he hadn't even had time to make. He also insulted the ref a second time and didn't address slapping a guy in the face earlier, there were two incidents. The pic of him with his little cheeky grin says more than the words do, 'I've been made do this and I still don't give a ****, everyone else to blame but me'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He's improving at the apology game but he's still a white belt at it! It's sufficient to move on but it's not objectively an apology either.

Elements of 'Sorry not Sorry' are involved (blaming "Gonard") and the obvious point is if he was really worried for John Redmond's well-being or that he might die, then he wouldn't have been in the cage causing a scene preventing doctors treating him but....

Have to agree, it seems likely the only reason he apologizes there today on the back of Audie Attar's comments is that he still intends to fight Tony December 30th.

Let's hope! If it's Oscar de la Hoya I'm making chess my new passion.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He's using Carvalho's death as a means for sympathy?

Pull the other one, Conor.

All he had to do was admit he was a dick and he let his emotions get the better of him.

He didn't give two ****s about Redmond at the time. If he did then why did he push Goddard into him?

Absolute bull**** apology, and anyone who believes him is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Do people think he's making the whiskey and the suits himself, or he has Dee out the back with a sewing machine?

He's sticking his name on a whiskey made by professionals.

The suits are being made by his tailor from Louis Copeland, or at least he'll be the one designing them.

Conor is just a famous name on them. He might have some tiny input but nothing mental.

Aren't you the clever one.....

Yeah you're right he's no Enzo Ferrari, the man who hand built every one of his cars (or did he just stick the badge on it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Aren't you the clever one.....

Yeah you're right he's no Enzo Ferrari, the man who hand built every one of his cars (or did he just stick the badge on it)

What point are you attempting to make there exactly?

• Advertisement

Full apology...
    I sincerely apologize for my behavior at last weekends fight event in Dublin. While trying to support a loyal teammate and friend, I let my emotions get the best of me and acted out of line. As a multiple weight UFC champion, executive producer, role model and public figure, I must hold myself to a higher standard.

The referee Marc Godard was making a horrendous decision in trying to pick an unconscious fighter up off the floor and force the fight to continue into the second round. Even against the wishes of the said fighters coach. The fight was over.

After witnessing my fighter in a fight where the worst happened and the opponent passed away from his injuries on the night, I thought the worst was about to happen again, and I lost it and over reacted. I am sorry to everyone.

I sincerely apologize to the Director of the Mohegan Tribe Department of Athletic Regulation, Mike Mazzulli, all the officials and staff working the event, Andy Ryan and his fighter John, two stonch ones that put up a great fight every time. That side will always have my respect, and lastly every one of my fans. I love yous all!

I’ve always learned from my mistakes and this will be no different.
    That's an aPRology more than anything, especially when you see the pic which went along with it.

All it is really missing is "I have now chosen to live as a gay man".

Oh well, what more can be done? He seems to have beef with Goddard which will continue, but hopefully he'll make restitution privately to that official he smacked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement