Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Conor's threats are of no concern to me

Polite version of "You'll do nuttin"

:pac:

glasso wrote: »
    he would have been better off saying nothing than the drivel he posted.

It reeks off come down and a call from Dana to "Get your **** together."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

December 30th. I'm telling ye lads.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbfIx-9nljj/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Let's just be very real about this - Marc Goddard was a highly competent LHW, who endured brutal weight cuts to make 205lbs. He's probably 240lb, a BJJ black belt, active grappler and has a beautiful jab and straight right hand from the few fights I've seen him in.

He would *kill* Conor in a fight.
    Tad understated I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Ah no :(

He's actually sunk too low now . Using that poor fighters death to justify his actions .

I'm sorry but just look at him entering that cage there was no way he was on his mind .

He needs a PR guy asap

• Advertisement

And just to add more speculation to it, the "apology" photo looks to have been taken in a hotel bedroom. The sign at head height on the door behind him is a dead giveaway.

And he signed off the post with love yous all, echoing his **** yous all earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Big difference in class with Goddards statement and Mcgregors.

I'd love it if the UFC had the balls and tore up his contract as I for one wouldnt lose any sleep if I never saw him fight in UFC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Big difference in class with Goddards statement and Mcgregors.

I'd love it if the UFC had the balls and tore up his contract as I for one wouldnt lose any sleep if I never saw him fight in UFC again.

Lol he’d only love that you realise? He’d make over €100m for every fight because he can promote himself

Lukker- wrote: »
    Lol he’d only love that you realise? He’d make over €100m for every fight because he can promote himself

Who's he going to fight?

The UFC should let him rot like they've done to Couture and watch him burn through his money and disappear up his own hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

He's completely and totally turned me against him anyway.

Would love to see him humbled and then would love to see him **** off.

• Advertisement

Who's he going to fight?

The UFC should let him rot like they've done to Couture and watch him burn through his money and disappear up his own hole.

Anyone he wants who’s not in the UFC. Boxing, MMA etc he’ll still get 1m buys fighting a homeless guy.

He’s the golden goose, the UFC will do anything to protect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Let's just be very real about this - Marc Goddard was a highly competent LHW, who endured brutal weight cuts to make 205lbs. He's probably 240lb, a BJJ black belt, active grappler and has a beautiful jab and straight right hand from the few fights I've seen him in.

Presume Goddard never fought in ufc? Or else my memory isn't up to scratch. Can't remember him fighting, and don't generally follow other organisations/promotions.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Anyone he wants who’s not in the UFC. Boxing, MMA etc he’ll still get 1m buys fighting a homeless guy.

He’s the golden goose, the UFC will do anything to protect him.

Incorrect.

What's he going to do, fight Ben Askren and get wrestle ****ed in front of 1m ppv buyers with no support card and you think that's going to draw viewers? Don't be silly.

In boxing he has 1 maybe draw if he fights Paulie. But if he takes that fight he gets beat again in the ring against a smaller guy with no power and that's the end of that.

McGregor needs a promotion more than a promotion needs McGregor. He's another fight away from being another Ronda and seeing all the attention go bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

There’s a lot going on in the world that gets me down-war,famine,genocide.
    But the arselicking comments underneath that “apology” on Instagram are what have finally made me lose faith in humanity.bring on the Nuclear holocaust ,humanity isn’t worth saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Incorrect.

What's he going to do, fight Ben Askren and get wrestle ****ed in front of 1m ppv buyers with no support card and you think that's going to draw viewers? Don't be silly.

In boxing he has 1 maybe draw if he fights Paulie. But if he takes that fight he gets beat again in the ring against a smaller guy with no power and that's the end of that.

McGregor needs a promotion more than a promotion needs McGregor. He's another fight away from being another Ronda and seeing all the attention go bye bye.

Pleeeease let it be Diaz.

Incorrect.

That's simply your opinion compared to mine. You cherry picked Askren for your example, a bad matchup indeed, but not even in his weight class?

If the UFC tore up his contract he'd go to Bellator or some other promotion as a co-promoter.

If Ronda fought again she'd still prob get a million buys even though the mystique is gone. You are purposely downplaying his size and impact on the sport, which in my mind is pretty undeniable.

I'm not saying this as an apologist, I think he deserves punishment. But as far as what you said, I think it's largely inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Aren't you the clever one.....

Yeah you're right he's no Enzo Ferrari, the man who hand built every one of his cars (or did he just stick the badge on it)
    Does the USADA test outside of competition?
    Not sure if you are serious. But in case you are, the above is an an absolute ridiculous point. Ferrari are a renowned car manufacturer. Enzo Ferrari is famous only for building cars. There is no parallel with the McGregor/Whiskey situation or the point what was made - which was also ridiculous.

Still Ill wrote: »
    I don't see who in their right mind would actually buy McGregor whiskey or his suits over actual reputable makers of those things.

This isn't going to McGregor out the back with a load of spirits and a few oak barrels trying to compete with Jameson or Saville's - it will whiskey
    made by a "reputable maker" of whiskey. Something like and either co-branding with Teelings or Dubliner, or bought wholesale from the likes of Irish Distillers.
    Considering that a whiskey takes at least 3 years to mature, if it hit the shops this christmas, it means that the whisky was actually produced back in 2014 intended for the market under their own label.

Mellor wrote: »
    Considering that a whiskey takes at least 3 years to mature, if it hit the shops this christmas, it means that the whisky was actually produced back in 2014 intended for the market under their own label.

He's brewing himself it himself shur, it's the fumes that are making him loopy

Great statement by Goddard. It's immediately obvious that he's not trying to misrepresent facts or embellish. He strikes me as a very straightforward no-nonsense guy. His description makes sense and clears up a few misconceptions I had at the time.

Awful 'apology' by McGregor. Misrepresents facts, needlessly attacks Goddard, uses Carvalho's death to justify his own scumbaggery. Totally hollow and pointless statement. It literally would have been better if he had just said he was off his tits, can't explain his behaviour and regrets his actions. Clearly he doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Did John Kavanagh make any comment on what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well he didn’t regret his actions did he.
    He was outside later that night giving it beans about what he had done.
    He is actually a knob.
    I hope Diaz gives him a beat down.
    155 for the belt no excuses.
    He has nowhere left to hide.
    Suits and whiskey can’t buy you class either.
    Sad really,
    From going to him v mendes which was more exciting than watching a Tyson fight in the 90’s on box office.
    To wanting Diaz to puck the head off him.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did John Kavanagh make any comment on what happened?

he said that McGregor was overcome with emotion because Charlie Ward had lost the previous 2 fights.
    Pathetic cop out and couldn't even get his story straight with McGregor himself who would have us believe that he was on a mission to save a man's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just read the apology. **** apology.

Look at his facebook page and all of the posts calling out his "apology" as bull**** ar getting hundreds of thanks.

The public has turned.

I dont care if the guy is Irish! I hope he gets the head pucked off him in his next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

lol what? you think paulie whoeverthe****heis is the only draw for mcg in boxing? seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

VW 1 wrote: »
    Presume Goddard never fought in ufc? Or else my memory isn't up to scratch. Can't remember him fighting, and don't generally follow other organisations/promotions.

Goddard was old-school-UK-era fighting from the very early 2000's - fought on regional UK promotions alonside Bisping/Dan Hardy/Paul Daley etc, was on one Cage Warriors card with Bisping headlining.

He was no world-beater but his ground game even back then was great for such a big man and he has improved a lot in the last 15 years if his grappling videos are anything to go by.

Here's a couple of fight videos, I'll time-stamp a few highlights:

In this one, at around 1:27 he passed into side control and into full mount pretty effortlessly before clubbing his opponents face in when he gave up his back:

Similar story here. Pretty sweet body lock takedown at around 3:57 and then proceeded to take full mount and bash his face in.

This one is my favourite for comedy value, kinda Bob Sapp-esque. He gets his opponent down at 0:37 and starts to unload on him but the guy took the fetal position and tapped to strikes without even attempting to push off his hips and stand up. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I laughed.

P4P Conor is obviously the better fighter by a million miles but given there's probably a 65lb weight advantage, 7 inch height advantage and 6 inch reach advantage, not to mention Goddard having fairly elite MMA-grappling.... my maths tell me Conor wouldn't be getting out of Birmingham alive if he went looking for him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Apology doesn't excuse actions. He should still be punished.

Also, unless you're completely blind, (which, let's face it, a lot on here are) it's clearly half arsed where he's gone out of his way to explicitly exclude Marc "Gonard" from anything remotely resembling a sincere apology.

Conor doesn't need Dee or anyone else anymore. He's clearly capable of sucking his own dick at this point. The fact that he HAD TO point out his own accomplishments in his fake ass apology. I wonder if Dana helped him.

As far as him getting the name of the ref wrong is concerned. That's part of his self felating that I just mentioned. He's big timing everyone by saying that Mark Goddard [and everyone else] is so beneath him that its not worth his time to spell his name correctly.

froog wrote: »
    lol what? you think paulie whoeverthe****heis is the only draw for mcg in boxing? seriously?

It doesn't matter who he fights. He has 1 fight and then It's over.

GGG, Canelo, Andy Lee, Saunders, Eubanks, Steve Collins Jr, national junior middleweight champion, doesn't matter, they all finish him easily.

Paulie he can sell as a grudge match and can con himself into thinking he can win, but he won't.

Either way, the UFC wouldn't cut him, they'd just let his contract tick away and use the champions clause to let him rot like they did to Randy Couture and there's nothing he could do about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

**** him and his fake apology. Thought his bravado was for show but not any more. Hope he get thumped in the next fight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement