Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

The Nal wrote: »
    Replace that with footballer, rugby player, cyclist. Any sport really.

But especially in the fight game. Barely been anyone ever at the top who hasn't dropped a bollick somewhere. Whether it be behaviour like that, stupid and offending quotes, idiotic religious beliefs, sexism, drug use, rapes.......

I'd much rather see him in acting the mickey like that than failing drugs tests.

let me get this straight. you'd be ok with a rapist over someone using a PED.

very screwed up thinking there and not that of a rational person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

cletus wrote: »
    So we should not be disappointed by any of that behaviour?

No! More of that please. Its only entertainment. I enjoyed watching the video of it just like I'm enjoying all the banter after it.
    I would be much less disappointed if somebody expressed a silly religious beliefs than if they were convicted of rape

Was really referring to Alis more hardcore early religious beliefs with that one. Im sure a lot of fans were disappointed with him.

But Tyson is a great guy. Has his own TV shows, comedy tours, media appearances etc. Thats the convicted rapist Mike Tyson, who has never apologised for it. Was pre internet though so thats ok.
    glasso wrote: »
    let me get this straight. you'd be ok with a rapist over someone using a PED.

very screwed up thinking there and not that of a rational person

No. I meant "acting the mickey like that" as in jumping in the cage and throwing slaps. I would not like to see anyone engage in any of the behaviour I mentioned above like raping people. My broader point being fighters will always let you down if you're there to be let down in the first place.

A load of butthurt McG fans about as if there mum has just committed a murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Replace that with footballer, rugby player, cyclist. Any sport really.

But especially in the fight game. Barely been anyone ever at the top who hasn't dropped a bollick somewhere. Whether it be behaviour like that, stupid and offending quotes, idiotic religious beliefs, sexism, drug use, rapes.......

I'd much rather see him in acting the mickey like that than failing drugs tests

What

What

Should've said "acting the mickey like he did on Friday night".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

No! More of that please. Its only entertainment. I enjoyed watching the video of it just like I'm enjoying all the banter after it.

Was really referring to Alis more hardcore early religious beliefs with that one. Im sure a lot of fans were disappointed with him.

But Tyson is a great guy. Has his own TV shows, comedy tours, media appearances etc. Thats the convicted rapist Mike Tyson, who has never apologised for it. Was pre internet though so thats ok.

No. I meant "acting the mickey like that" as in jumping in the cage and throwing slaps. I would not like to see anyone engage in any of the behaviour I mentioned above like raping people. My broader point being fighters will always let you down if you're there to be let down in the first place.

A load of butthurt McG fans about as if there mum has just committed a murder.

I'm not sure how much of your post is tongue in cheek. I wouldn't consider Mike Tyson a great guy. Great boxer, but nothing about the little I have seen or read etc of him as a person would lead me to believe that he's a great guy.

I'm most definitely not 'butthurt' about this, nor have I a case of 'faux outrage' or whatever else. I'm not screaming about this on social media, nor do I hope he loses his next fight. I will still watch his fights (but then I watch any and all MMA that I can access/have the time for). I was simply disappointed when I saw the videos from Saturday night. My first thought was 'what the **** is he doing that for'. I didn't find it entertaining or great craic or banter, or anything else. I can see no positive in his behaviour.

In all honesty, I think he was acting like a dickhead, and I can't speak for anybody else, but at nearly 40, I've had my fill of dickheads over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'm most definitely not 'butthurt' about this, nor have I a case of 'faux outrage' or whatever else. I'm not screaming about this on social media, nor do I hope he loses his next fight. I will still watch his fights (but then I watch any and all MMA that I can access/have the time for). I was simply disappointed when I saw the videos from Saturday night. My first thought was 'what the **** is he doing that for'. I didn't find it entertaining or great craic or banter, or anything else. I can see no positive in his behaviour.

In all honesty, I think he was acting like a dickhead, and I can't speak for anybody else, but at nearly 40, I've had my fill of dickheads over the years

agree completely with this.

And in my opinion, if he had of apologised sincerely and said that he lost the run of himself and that he only had himself to blame (ie. shut up after the bit where he said he should have behaved better) I would have said - draw a line under it and move on.

But he didn't - he brought up a dead fighter and then blamed the ref. That's the bit that sticks in my craw, makes him out to be a bit of an a**hole and compounds the shítty behaviour of getting in to the ring in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Gamebred wrote: »
    PMSL the state of this fake outrage you'd swear hes gone and murdered a few kids get a life lads seriously.

So going out and murdering kids is the yardstick we should judge public figures by? :confused:

Conor's behavior was completely and utterly beyond unacceptable.

His 'apology' is even worse.

Jesus, look what this thread is reducing me to...Weldoninhio is thanking my posts :D

So going out and murdering kids is the yardstick we should judge public figures by? :confused:

Conor's behavior was completely and utterly beyond unacceptable.

His 'apology' is even worse.

Hes not a politician. Hes a cage fighter.

If you judge him as a "public figure" then you're bound to be let down.

Judge him more like a WWE wrestler as a opposed to a person at the top of society. The more chaos and newsworthy stories the better.

Judge him more like a WWE wrestler as a opposed to a person at the top of society. The more chaos and newsworthy stories the better.

Nobody is suggesting that he is a politician, he is, however, a public figure. But regardless of any of this, even if he was an ordinary Joe Soap, the behaviour was not acceptable.

I'm not sure why you are referring to WWE, to my understanding if they 'invade' the ring, 'assault' the ref etc, it's scripted, the exact opposite of chaos. What McGregor did was interfere with a sanctioned bout in a legitimate sporting arena, and I'm old enough to remember when all the MMA community wanted was to be accepted as a legit sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

You are not getting there is a difference between the fighter and the man himself ? He doesnt get a free run of things because he is a fighter .

As a figher he is amazing . As a man he is a clown.

Also if a WWE wrestler was acting like Conor he would get the same reaction from me . Clown .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Woodley vs Diaz now rumoured for the 219 top spot

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Wow wonder that is a great read. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I've been critical of McGregor a good bit over the last week due to his antics outside the cage but I can't be arsed discussing it anymore, I've said what I've wanted to say

Funny to see Woodley Vs Diaz being discussed for ufc 219 - where's all the outrage over this? Christ, people cried foul for all of Mcgregors title fights, but nobody seems to have any issues with Diaz getting a title fight despite coming off a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

PMSL the state of this fake outrage you'd swear hes gone and murdered a few kids get a life lads seriously.

That's absolute hyperbole. What about my comment was fake outrage. No one is suggesting he did anything close to murdering anyone.

Simple fact of it is, the qualities that made him so easy to support during his climb to the top, the charm, the respect he had for martial arts, the everyman sort of vibe have completely disappeared. They have been replaced by an ugly obnoxious personality. That clip outside the O2 is the perfect example.

I personally don't want to see any more of him. Some obnoxious rich lad repeating his catchphrases does nothing for me. I'd like to see him take a beating, and then **** off.

I'm not outraged, or accusing him of some heinous act. Just don't particularly support him. You obviously still do. To the point you have to multi quote other posters to defend him. Get a life lad, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

everlast75 wrote: »
    agree completely with this.

And in my opinion, if he had of apologised sincerely and said that he lost the run of himself and that he only had himself to blame (ie. shut up after the bit where he said he should have behaved better) I would have said - draw a line under it and move on.

But he didn't - he brought up a dead fighter and then blamed the ref. That's the bit that sticks in my craw, makes him out to be a bit of an a**hole and compounds the shítty behaviour of getting in to the ring in the first place.
    My thoughts exactly,He's just digging a hole for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Muahahaha wrote: »
    December 30th is only 45 days away and he has been on the razz since the end of August. No way can I see McGregor going into the Octogan on December 30th, especially against Tony. If he does he will be vastly unprepared and will lose badly.

Circumstances were not all that dissimilar for UFC 205. Conor had fought Nate on August 20th and the Alvarez fight was announced on September 26th, which was 46 days out from the fight November 12th. Obviously this time Conor fought in boxing August 26th and has had an extra 7 weeks rest-and-recovery (and partying).

A lot of different factors this time around though with the new baby having his 1st Christmas etc so it's probably still unlikely to happen.
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Demetrious Johnson is arguably the P4P best fighter in the world but would you honestly put money on him in a straight fight today against a retired middleweight? Even a welterweight? I'd back Dan Hardy and Cathal Pendred to roll off their couch and comfortably beat Mighty Mouse.

A retired journeyman 240lb mma fighter with an active BJJ black belt beats an elite active 170lb lightweight every day of the week.

They have weight classes for a reason because weight is the great equalizer of skill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Diaz and Woodley is a dreadful fight who the fook is running the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

What I dont understand is that people/fanboys are only now saying things like "my opinion of Conor has changed" and "I can no longer support him during his fights".

Based on him pushing a ref and acting thuggish?

He's been acting like an arsehole for years IMO.
    His statements towards Siver/Aldo were disgusting and bordered on racism. This was long before the Mayweather saga.

His faux apology to Dennis Siver - “Ich bin ein sowwy. Now about them feet...” - was every bit as embarrassing and insincere as his most recent apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Diaz and Woodley is a dreadful fight who the fook is running the UFC.
    People who are so desperate to make money that they will give Nate the money they don't want to give him to get him off the couch and give Woodley enough money that he'll put off the shoulder surgery and fight for the fifth time in 18 months.

• Advertisement

What I dont understand is that people/fanboys are only now saying things like "my opinion of Conor has changed" and "I can no longer support him during his fights".

His statements towards Siver/Aldo were disgusting and bordered on racism. This was long before the Mayweather saga.

His faux apology to Dennis Siver - “Ich bin ein sowwy. Now about them feet...” - was every bit as embarrassing and insincere as his most recent apology.

just be thankful that they have finally seen the truth of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

D.Q wrote: »
    That clip outside the Point Depot is the perfect example.

Fixed your post m8.

He's been launching cans across press conferences, diving out of cages to confront Aldo, comments about the favelas and homophobic slurs yet it took till he gave Goddard a small little push in the heat of the moment? very odd.

He's been launching cans across press conferences, diving out of cages to confront Aldo, comments about the favelas and homophobic slurs yet it took till he gave Goddard a small little push in the heat of the moment? very odd.

He also slapped a Strikeforceator employee right in the ceann.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

I actually thought you were one of his biggest cheerleaders. My apologies.

Must have been thinking on another regular poster.

I had an argument with a McGregor fan on this forum about 2 years ago.

While I can understand people finding those comments distasteful, many of us were able to pass them off as fight promotion, they were done in the context of media for a signed, upcoming bout, and he tended to be more reticent, and complementary of the opponent, after the fight. As a result it could be looked at through the lens of a persona that McGregor was inhabiting to build interest.

This last episode does not fall into that catagory, and, imo, this persona has been slowly morphing into something other than the brash young fighter from Dublin shouting for '50 g's' from Dana

Any sign of conor at the Aviva last night?

yes but for some the whole "it's just showbiz, part of the act, he's so sound behind the scenes" shyte was still convincing.'

The latest action and videos and even more pathetic narcissistic apology cannot be attributed to be part of the "showbiz act" so it finally proves beyond any doubt that he's a clownish egomaniac lout.

You're being both highly selective and deliberately obtuse in how you are presenting what happened. It was not just the small little push he gave Goddard that people have an issue with. As I said in my post above there has been a slow slide from the original McGregor that he presented to us (I can't speak to what he is actually like, I've never met him), and people initially tried to find either reasons or excuses for his behaviour. Most of these centered around the whole 'sure it's the fight game'

As far as I am concerned, Saturday night dies not fall into that catagory

• Advertisement

I actually thought you were one of his biggest cheerleaders. My apologies.

Must have been thinking on another regular poster.

I had an argument with a McGregor fan on this forum about 2 years ago.

I am, this whole outrage is weird its being blown out of proportion, hes a headcase anybody with 2 braincells could decipher that a long time ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement