Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Gamebred wrote: »
    I am, this whole outrage is weird its being blown out of proportion, hes a headcase anybody with 2 braincells could decipher that a long time ago.

I am?

So you haven't turned on him now or at anytime?
    I'm finding this hard to follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mellor wrote: »
    If somebody has claim that Conor push Marc into John, sure that's wrong too. But I haven't seen that post, and you didn't quote it. So without that contect, your post reads very oddly.

These do you?
    Redmond's still on the knees being treated by medical staff when McGregor enters the ring. He's then knocked to the ground when McGregor shoves an official into him.

He couldn't care less about any other fighter.
    .... pushing Goddard and causing the dazed Redmond to be knocked over....
    Would you give over. He stopped the medical treatment of a downed fighter and then shoved someone into him, there’s no defending McGregor anymore.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    He didn't give two ****s about Redmond at the time. If he did then why did he push Goddard into him?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

These do you?

Jesus Christ, it's McGregor's fault anything that happened in the ring happened. That's all that matters.

Who gives a **** if he didn't actually push him? Him being in the bloody ring caused the danger to the dazed fighter on his knees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

I am, this whole outrage is weird its being blown out of proportion, hes a headcase anybody with 2 braincells could decipher that a long time ago.

There is a difference between a headcase and being unlikeable. They dont go hand in hand .

What if Robbie Keane ran on the pitch last night and confronted the referee while being high as a kite .

You were the major promulgator of the whole " it's just showbiz, he's really sound actually" narrative. Not that that's been shown to be not true, this is your new tune!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭LostArt

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Any sign of conor at the Aviva last night?

I'm slightly disappointed he didn't run onto the pitch and drop Eriksen with a stone cold stunner tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What if Robbie Keane ran on the pitch last night and confronted the referee while being high as a kite .

Robbie run? Sure even when he was playing he didn't run :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Porthallian

There is a difference between a headcase and being unlikeable. They dont go hand in hand .

Cartwheel kick to the face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, it's McGregor's fault anything that happened in the ring happened. That's all that matters.

Who gives a **** if he didn't actually push him? Him being in the bloody ring caused the danger to the dazed fighter on his knees!

True. He caused the volatility in that ring, and he alone deserves to be reprimanded. I don't buy it for a second that he was caught up in the moment. He made a deliberate decision to do what he did. He was not that excited and happy for Charlie...It was a limelight stealing narcissistic move.

His celebrations stank of a deliberate move. Nothing normal or involuntary about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

glasso wrote: »
    You were the major promulgator of the whole " it's just showbiz, he's really sound actually" narrative. Not that that's been shown to be not true, this is your new tune!

He is sound, anytime ive seen him or heard of peoples interactions hes been very pleasant in giving his time not heard of him being a wanker to any fan as far as I can remember, hes prone to going wild on the odd occasion last weekend being one of them but if thats as bad as he gets up to I dont care doesnt bother me the idea hes tarnashing mma is rubbish talk hes done more for it than anyone this decade.

He is sound, anytime ive seen him or heard of peoples interactions hes been very pleasant in giving his time not heard of him being a wanker to any fan as far as I can remember, hes prone to going wild on the odd occasion last weekend being one of them but if thats as bad as he gets up to I dont care doesnt bother me the idea hes tarnashing mma is rubbish talk hes done more for it than anyone this decade.

nobody is denying that he's raised the profile of MMA. A combination of skills backed up with a loud personality that was (is? - probably yes due to the new owners needing to get a return on their $4bn) needed by the UFC at the time served him well.

in terms of money - he's done well etc. - we know that.

I've only seen him in person a couple of times around the centre of Dublin briefly - couldn't judge anything from that.

All I will say is that the events recently and subsequent "apology" are definitely not the signs of a good guy imo. There's wild and there's the sort of thing that only a person with serious dick tendancies could do i.e. deeply-ingrained unlikable issues. even judged on a one-off basis.

Call me old fashioned but I like sportspeople to be likable. Being a headcase is not the issue - there are plenty of likable headcases out there in the world of sports - even in the violent sports scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Personally I don't give a bollocks, I'm interested in the sport and I like his fighting style and the fact that he's a champion representing my country. What he gets up to while not fighting may be outrageous or not, but personally as long as he puts on a good show in the Octagon when he's fighting, I just don't care. I mean, I agree that his antics were moronic and his "apology" was one of the most unimaginably stupid things I've ever read, but at the end of the day he's an epic fighter who is entertaining to watch and who is winning titles for Ireland and that's what counts.

I apply this to everything, not just McGregor. I'll happily continue to watch House of Cards, despite knowing that Kevin Spacey is an abusive creep, because it's a good show and he acts well in front of the camera. Similarly, even if it turns out that McGregor is a complete and total gobsh!te (and personally I don't think this incident proves that), as long as his fights are entertaining to watch, I'll watch them and cheer him on.

I actually feel that it's only in recent years that we're supposed to consider the entire human being in an entertainer when deciding whether or not to be entertained by them. For instance, when Michael Jackson was embroiled in controversy over alleged sex offences, I never heard anyone suggest that we should stop listening to and enjoying his music as a result. This whole idea that someone's behaviour outside of their job as an entertainer (which in my view is primarily what sports is about, entertaining a crowd) has to influence how we feel about their performance *in* their job and whether or not we're "allowed" to consume it and enjoy doing so, seems to me to be an extremely recent phenomenon and I think society is worse off because of it. Many people who manage to get themselves into positions of superstardom probably have some element of megalomania involved, so I'd argue that if we're supposed to not enjoy their performances because of their personality in other areas, we'd end up with very little "allowed" entertainment at all. Just as I won't stop listening to U2 on account of the Paradise Papers and I won't stop watching House of Cards on account of Spacey, I won't stop watching McGregor's fights and hoping he continues to dominate in them - not because of him personally, but because he's representing my country when he's in that Octagon.

Those who are saying things like "I hope he gets his ass kicked in fights from now on" are missing that, IMO. It's not just about him - a victory for Conor is a victory for Ireland, and that still matters regardless of the background of the person wearing the Irish flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Hugely disappointed.

I think he is surrounded by people telling him he's brilliant from the moment he wakes up until the moment he sleeps. He's surrounded by mates telling him he's a "don" every day of his life. He's surrounded by coaches and training partners telling him he has freak power in his hands. His social media is full of cult-like praise.

I don't think he hears a word of negativity - or realism - from dusk til dawn.

My strong suspicion, on the balance of probabilities, is that Paulie Malignaggi won a competitive sparring session - maybe 7 rounds to 5 (or similar) - but Dana, JK, Roddy were probably all saying: "you crushed him bro!! you're the man!!" to the point Conor likely believes that he destroyed him in a blowout. Roddy came out after the Floyd fight saying they believe Conor was comfortably the more skillful boxer and it was simply a cardio issue.

I think, in hindsight, it was abundantly clear why Freddie Roach was not invited into camp and it wasn't the waffle explanation put forward by JK (one which I agreed with at the time):

I suspect Roach wasn't invited because he would have been the only one living in the real world willing to tell Conor "you're doing it wrong, let's work on fixing it" as opposed to "nice! great work Conor! You're the best Conor".

He's living in a giant bubble.

Despite all that, I'm in agreement with Tom Egan when he said Conor is "for the most part a good bloke".

When Conor texted to ask was he going to UFC 205, Andrew McGahon explained to him he couldn't afford to go and was suffering depression from trying to cover MMA. It would have been very easy for Conor to shrug his shoulders but instead he gave him an opportunity to change his life for the better. Fast forward a year and Andrew got to experience Madison Square Garden for the history-making fight and the Mayweather-McGregor experience and mentally seems in a better place in his life.

When Norman Parke was going through a tough time with his ligament injury last year and considering jacking it in, Conor reached out to him to try give him a bit of motivation to keep pushing on.

That sort of thing is more reflective in my eyes of who Conor is (generally speaking) and they're not the actions of a man who is a bad egg.

I think he has a genuine problem with his surroundings. I don't think it's a good sign for athletes to be drinking double vodka's doing interviews in the daytime, which is what happened the other week, and I find it highly unlikely he's hanging around with so many dealers and not doing any drugs.

If I was in a position to advise him, I would strongly urge him to pack his suitcases and move the family to L.A. for a few years until Conor Jr. gets nearer school age. Get away from Dublin. Get away from his comfort zone. Maybe even start hearing different voices in training. It worked out well for Darren Till and Bisping to just get away from it all and focus on their career, I think it would do wonders for Conor too.

I suspect nothing will change, he will stay in Dublin, his drinking and partying will get worse, his general behaviour will get worse, he'll find himself in lawsuits, the flaws in his game won't be addressed and any future success will be in spite of his surroundings and not because of them.

TL;DR - Conor's story (star athlete going off the rails) is nothing new. We've seen this many times before and we know how it ends. Conor might think he's a unicorn because he hears it every day from Dana to Dee and from A-to-Z in between. The reality is he's not a unicorn - he's simply a brilliant fighter who can easily throw it all away just like the dozens of brilliant fighters who did so before him.

Personally I don't give a bollocks, I'm interested in the sport and I like his fighting style and the fact that he's a champion representing my country. What he gets up to while not fighting may be outrageous or not, but personally as long as he puts on a good show in the Octagon when he's fighting, I just don't care. I mean, I agree that his antics were moronic and his "apology" was one of the most unimaginably stupid things I've ever read, but at the end of the day he's an epic fighter who is entertaining to watch and who is winning titles for Ireland and that's what counts.

I apply this to everything, not just McGregor. I'll happily continue to watch House of Cards, despite knowing that Kevin Spacey is an abusive creep, because it's a good show and he acts well in front of the camera. Similarly, even if it turns out that McGregor is a complete and total gobsh!te (and personally I don't think this incident proves that), as long as his fights are entertaining to watch, I'll watch them and cheer him on.

I actually feel that it's only in recent years that we're supposed to consider the entire human being in an entertainer when deciding whether or not to be entertained by them. For instance, when Michael Jackson was embroiled in controversy over alleged sex offences, I never heard anyone suggest that we should stop listening to and enjoying his music as a result. This whole idea that someone's behaviour outside of their job as an entertainer (which in my view is primarily what sports is about, entertaining a crowd) has to influence how we feel about their performance *in* their job and whether or not we're "allowed" to consume it and enjoy doing so, seems to me to be an extremely recent phenomenon and I think society is worse off because of it. Many people who manage to get themselves into positions of superstardom probably have some element of megalomania involved, so I'd argue that if we're supposed to not enjoy their performances because of their personality in other areas, we'd end up with very little "allowed" entertainment at all. Just as I won't stop listening to U2 on account of the Paradise Papers and I won't stop watching House of Cards on account of Spacey, I won't stop watching McGregor's fights and hoping he continues to dominate in them - not because of him personally, but because he's representing my country when he's in that Octagon.

Those who are saying things like "I hope he gets his ass kicked in fights from now on" are missing that, IMO. It's not just about him - a victory for Conor is a victory for Ireland, and that still matters regardless of the background of the person wearing the Irish flag.

well yeah you've just highlighted one of the big devisive issues about him. I (and a lot of people) resent a guy like that brandishing the Irish flag and Irishness in general whenever it suits him as it's not what you want to be associated with being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

well yeah you've just highlighted one of the big devisive issues about him. I (and a lot of people) resent a guy like that brandishing the Irish flag and Irishness in general whenever it suits him as it's not what you want to be associated with being Irish.

What like you mean when he's on stage? should he be draped in the Irish flag 24/7?

what we have here is a group of people who don't like him and will jump on everything to have a moan and criticize, if it wasn't this it would be something else .......I'm surprised his kid hasn't come in for some flak but there's time yet

Mary Whitehouse has thanked you all for your contributions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He's not representing your country though. He's not fighting "for Ireland" regardless of anything he says. He literally just happens to have been born here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    What like you mean when he's on stage? should he be draped in the Irish flag 24/7?

what we have here is a group of people who don't like him and will jump on everything to have a moan and criticize, if it wasn't this it would be something else .......I'm surprised his kid hasn't come in for some flak but there's time yet

Mary Whitehouse has thanked you all for your contributions

That's not true of all the posters who were unhappy with his behaviour on Saturday. Take myself as an example. If you go back through my post history you would be hard pressed to find a post I made criticising Conor McGregor.

Your comment is about as constructive as me posting that McGregor fanboys will defend whatever he does regardless, so why don't you get off his nut sack.

Some of us have laid out exactly why we were disappointed or annoyed or whatever with his behaviour. If you found that particular set of actions by him acceptable, why not lay that out in a post for us so we can discuss the merits or otherwise of your opinion

• Advertisement

He's not representing your country though. He's not fighting "for Ireland" regardless of anything he says. He literally just happens to have been born here.

come on. Ireland is a small country and MMA is a world sport. McGregor and Ireland are indelibly linked in the international context. and you can't say that he hasn't used the Irish aspect in his self-promotion in several different ways.

cletus wrote: »
    That's not true of all the posters who were unhappy with his behaviour on Saturday. Take myself as an example. If you go back through my post history you would be hard pressed to find a post I made criticising Conor McGregor.

Your comment is about as constructive as me posting that McGregor fanboys will defend whatever he does regardless, so why don't you get off his nut sack.

Some of us have laid out exactly why we were disappointed or annoyed or whatever with his behaviour. If you found that particular set of actions by him acceptable, why not lay that out in a post for us so we can discuss the merits or otherwise of your opinion

On his nutsack? no idea........I'm not interested in Conor McGregor outside of fighting ......I wouldn't have a clue what he does on social media, I have no interest.......as for this episode I 'd be lying if I said I cared, no more than if it was one of the Diaz's or anyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    On his nutsack? no idea........I'm not interested in Conor McGregor outside of fighting ......I wouldn't have a clue what he does on social media, I have no interest.......as for this episode I 'd be lying if I said I cared, no more than if it was one of the Diaz's or anyone else

I wasn't suggesting that you specifically were on his nutsack. I don't follow him on social media either, as I am not on Twitter, Instagram etc.

I find it a little odd that you say you don't care about this episode, yet you obviously cared enough to be annoyed by, and post about, other people who actually cared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Hugely disappointed.

I think he has a genuine problem with his surroundings. I don't think it's a good sign for athletes to be drinking double vodka's doing interviews in the daytime, which is what happened the other week, and I find it highly unlikely he's hanging around with so many dealers and not doing any drugs.

If I was in a position to advise him, I would strongly urge him to pack his suitcases and move the family to L.A. for a few years until Conor Jr. gets nearer school age. Get away from Dublin. Get away from his comfort zone. Maybe even start hearing different voices in training. It worked out well for Darren Till and Bisping to just get away from it all and focus on their career, I think it would do wonders for Conor too.

Agree with the general consensus of Wonders post, but particularly the above quote. For the sake of his career, but more importantly for himself and his family, he needs to hightail it. And do so with such reasons in mind. The red flags are there and have been there for a while now. As is, this is going nowhere good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

He can't leave, the easy ammunition it would give his rivals (where's his loyalty to his team/country blah blah blah that he constantly talks about gone) would be too much for his ego to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Move to L.A and take less drugs? It's a bold move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Does it matter though? Guinness isn't representing Ireland in any official capacity, but it's pretty cool to know that a beer brewed in my home country is one of the most popular beers in the world. U2 aren't representing Ireland in an official capacity, but it certainly feels goos as an Irishman when a band from my home country wins a grammy.

Humans are tribal creatures at heart, and seeing somebody from one's own tribe attaining international recognition feels good psychologically. Hence why, for example, people who have absolutely no interest in football teams will often still cheer for Ireland and get properly invested in watching the world cup or the euros. I'm pretty sure this is a fairly deep rooted human thing, which a lot of people share in without necessarily thinking about why.

cletus wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that you specifically were on his nutsack. I don't follow him on social media either, as I am not on Twitter, Instagram etc.

I find it a little odd that you say you don't care about this episode, yet you obviously cared enough to be annoyed by, and post about, other people who actually cared

Not annoyed just pointing out as I see it........you even had one bod yesterday pointing out he doesn't actually make whiskey himself or tailer suits? it was a serious critique :cool: ....getting ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Fair enough if that's your view on it. I couldn't care less if U2 won Grammys to be honest. I literally feel nothing about whether they win or lose. As for the Guinness analogy, it has a wee bit more history behind it than McGregor but these days it's owned by a global mega corporation and the majority of it, I believe, is brewed and sold in Africa. It's Irish but it's not.

come on. Ireland is a small country and MMA is a world sport. McGregor and Ireland are indelibly linked in the international context. and you can't say that he hasn't used the Irish aspect in his self-promotion in several different ways.

Of course he's used the Irish aspect in his self promotion. Where did I say otherwise? To be more accurate, he hams up the Paddy more than the Irishman. All the ****e he spouts about Ireland as a nation of warriors, when one goes to war we all to war etc is a caricature of Irishness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Lukker- wrote: »
    Move to L.A and take less drugs? It's a bold move

I get the inherent absurdity of the premise...When I say get out and get away, I mean for him to take stock and reassess what's important elsewhere. And to do so with good people with his long-term best interests at heart.

That being said, I'm sad to say I don't feel especially hopeful for him. Not to reduce this to silly generalities and psychological hubris on my part - but indulge me nevertheless - I've met Conor in the guise of pals/ associates before. We probably all have. They're messers at best and liabilities at worst. They're intelligent, restless and have an insatiable appetite for anything and everything that takes their fancy. And usually end up in trouble or worse. Some see out their youth and slow down in later adulthood. Others don't make it. And that's minus truck loads of cash and the adulation of millions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement