Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Not annoyed just pointing out as I see it........you even had one bod yesterday pointing out he doesn't actually make whiskey himself or tailer suits? it was a serious critique :cool: ....getting ridiculous
    And I'm still waiting for the point you were trying to make :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Does it matter though? Guinness isn't representing Ireland in any official capacity, but it's pretty cool to know that a beer brewed in my home country is one of the most popular beers in the world. U2 aren't representing Ireland in an official capacity, but it certainly feels goos as an Irishman when a band from my home country wins a grammy.

Humans are tribal creatures at heart, and seeing somebody from one's own tribe attaining international recognition feels good psychologically. Hence why, for example, people who have absolutely no interest in football teams will often still cheer for Ireland and get properly invested in watching the world cup or the euros. I'm pretty sure this is a fairly deep rooted human thing, which a lot of people share in without necessarily thinking about why.

Guinness? U2? Humans are"tribal"

Seriously?

Asus X540L wrote: »

Seriously?
    What about that didn't you understand? Thought it was a fairly clear explanation..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tazzimus wrote: »
    And I'm still waiting for the point you were trying to make :)

I'll tell you if you tell me what your point was

No? ok .....you asked do people think he makes whiskey himself out in the garden shed or his bird knocks up a suit in the spare bedroom on a sewing machine? what people do you think thought that? are you implying McGregor gave the impression he did?

Do people think Micheal Jordan ever sewed up a pair of Nike Air's ? no they don't ....he just put his name on them, go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Who gives a **** if he didn't actually push him?

So, I should just have ignored the comments saying McGregor pushed Goddard or an official into Redmond should I? Nah, I ain't no sheep, chief. You wanna join in with the kicking and bandying about of untruths, that's your business.
    Him being in the bloody ring caused the danger to the dazed fighter on his knees!

Nope, him jumping into the octagon (while certainly pretentious and dickish) was in and of itself, harmless, and had the fight been been over (as McGregor had understandably presumed it was) then it would have been a non event, just as it was when he jumped in the cage in Belfast.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should be punished for lashing out and slapping that official who tried to push him off the cage, as even though the guy could have seriously hurt him, he was just doing his job.... but he shouldn't be blamed for all that occurred in that ring is what I'm saying. No fcuking way should he.

Had Goddard done his job and focused on Redmond as soon as he had told Charlie to go to go back to his corner (and let the officials do their job with regards to getting Conor out of the octagon) then most likely none of what subsequently transpired, would have done. But instead he doubled back on his way over to Redmond and antagonized McGregor physically. THAT is what directly led to McGregor then running over and pushing him.

giphy.gif

Also, had the idiot in the shirt and tie not rushed over and pushed the official into Redmond, then Redmond wouldn't have fallen over.

giphy.gif

Now that that is dealt with, let me move on to deal with some of the other nonsense I've been reading. Specifically the sanctimonious rubbish that McGregor's using the death of Joao Carvalho and is lying when he suggests that it was something that contributed to him losing it.

First of all, given that this was Charlie's first fight in Dublin since the Carvalho fight, I'd imagine it was something that was on all the minds that day, if not the entire week and secondly, there is every reason to believe him given that immediately after the Carvalho fight he said:
    "Your man took some big shots. Thought it could have been stopped earlier. Referees need to be on the ball a little bit."

Now here he was, celebrating with Charlie (no pun intended) and then all of sudden he hears the referee saying the fight isn't over! That it's to continue! Even though he has just seen an opponent knocked out! So how can it be so inconceivable (as it appears to be to the majority of you) that he's being honest when he's says part of the reason he initially lost it was because he felt the same crap was happening again or could happen again, a referee was not stopping a fight despite it being clear that it should be. I mean, to me it would be bizarre if the Carvalho fight did not come into his head at that moment.

I could perhaps understand some slight doubt to his sincerity, especially from certain circles, but I certainly don't see anything to justify people that were fans of his calling him a liar in that regard. McGregor can be a wanker, no doubt about it, but I've never had him down as someone who would lie about something like that and I don't see anyone posting anything to justify that contention either. Perhaps they will, look forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You and your relentless fanaticism are utterly laughable. Sad, sad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

See how Goddard moves back and to the left, if he'd just moved back and to the right this whole fiasco could have been avoided.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

the idiot in the shirt and tie could be McGregor's security, not bellator's

pushing and threatening a ref like McGregor did is indefensible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No? ok .....you asked do people think he makes whiskey himself out in the garden shed or his bird knocks up a suit in the spare bedroom on a sewing machine? what people do you think thought that? are you implying McGregor gave the impression he did?

You are missing the point. I thought it was pretty clear tbh.
    Here's an example of one of the posts, not the only one.
    You're right, though... I don't see who in their right mind would actually buy McGregor whiskey or his suits over actual reputable makers of those things.

The part in bold is key.
    We were pointing out that the whiskey (or whatever) would actually be made by the reputable companies.
    Do people think Micheal Jordan ever sewed up a pair of Nike Air's ? no they don't ....he just put his name on them, go figure

Michael Jordan. Good example. Swap Jordan's name in for McGregor in the previous, and it see how ridiculous it sounds.
    You're right, though... I don't see who in their right mind would actually buy Jordan sneakers or clothing over actual reputable makers of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

So there are some who thought McGregor had a hand in making these things? well more fool them ...

as for not buying something with McGregors name on it ? I think he would be quite successful there....

Alan Sugar sold quite a few Amstrad computers, he's not a particularly pleasant fellow to most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So there are some who thought McGregor had a hand in making these things? well more fool them ...
    Agreed.

I've a bit of a wine and whiskey collection going at the minute. If it ever materialized, I'd have no problem adding a McGregor Whiskey to it - but I'd be base that decision on finding out that who was making it (I'd guess Teelings or Dubliner). Plus many would just buy for the name. Look at how successful beats by Dre have been.

But, the whiskey might never happen. A brewer from Carlow owns the rights to "Notorious" and MacGregor is already a brand of blended whisky from Scotland. He'll need to go back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Asus X540L wrote: »

Seriously?

Pretty much, yeah. It makes me proud of my country when I see Irish people or brands doing well on the international stage, and I know I'm not alone in that - there's no psychological explanation for it except the fact that humans generally subdivide into groups of their own accord and they like to see others from their group doing well out there in the world.

Think about it for a second, if a rugby fan grew up in Leinster but Munster are in the ERC / Heineken final against some English or French team, that person will most likely cheer heartily for Munster. However, if Munster are facing Leinster, they're going to cheer for Leinster. Why? They have no connection to any of the people actually playing on the pitch - they're cheering them on because they're affiliated with a place that person identifies with, and they're happy to cheer for Munster if Leinster aren't in the picture because Munster are more closely affiliated with the group they identify with (Leinster) than with their opponents (Clermont, Racing, Wasps). It's purely a contrived reason to cheer for one team over another, and yet millions upon millions of people do it every day, in a massive variety of different sports - because humans have a natural tendency to firstly associate themselves with a sub-group of other humans, and then secondly to emotionally invest themselves in seeing that other members of that sub-group doing well. I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the main things which separates humans from other mammals and allows us to build complex teams and organisational structures, far more complex than those of many other mammals.

So in that context, of course it makes sense that your average Irish person is going to be more emotionally invested in McGregor than Diaz or Aldo - he's "one of us", and on some deep psychological level that really matters to the average person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Fair enough if that's your view on it. I couldn't care less if U2 won Grammys to be honest. I literally feel nothing about whether they win or lose. As for the Guinness analogy, it has a wee bit more history behind it than McGregor but these days it's owned by a global mega corporation and the majority of it, I believe, is brewed and sold in Africa. It's Irish but it's not.

All fair points - maybe you're one of the lucky ones who isn't as much a slave to their animal instincts as I am :D I don't cheer for McGregor just for McGregor, or just because I like MMA, I cheer for him because he's Irish and I love the fact that an Irish person is considered the best in the world at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

So, I should just have ignored the comments saying McGregor pushed Goddard or an official into Redmond should I? Nah, I ain't no sheep, chief. You wanna join in with the kicking and bandying about of untruths, that's your business.

Nope, him jumping into the octagon (while certainly pretentious and dickish) was in and of itself, harmless, and had the fight been been over (as McGregor had understandably presumed it was) then it would have been a non event, just as it was when he jumped in the cage in Belfast.

Don't get me wrong, I think he should be punished for lashing out and slapping that official who tried to push him off the cage, as even though the guy could have seriously hurt him, he was just doing his job.... but he shouldn't be blamed for all that occurred in that ring is what I'm saying. No fcuking way should he.

Had Goddard done his job and focused on Redmond as soon as he had told Charlie to go to go back to his corner (and let the officials do their job with regards to getting Conor out of the octagon) then most likely none of what subsequently transpired, would have done. But instead he doubled back on his way over to Redmond and antagonized McGregor physically. THAT is what directly led to McGregor then running over and pushing him.

giphy.gif

Also, had the idiot in the shirt and tie not rushed over and pushed the official into Redmond, then Redmond wouldn't have fallen over.

giphy.gif

Now that that is dealt with, let me move on to deal with some of the other nonsense I've been reading. Specifically the sanctimonious rubbish that McGregor's using the death of Joao Carvalho and is lying when he suggests that it was something that contributed to him losing it.

First of all, given that this was Charlie's first fight in Dublin since the Carvalho fight, I'd imagine it was something that was on all the minds that day, if not the entire week and secondly, there is every reason to believe him given that immediately after the Carvalho fight he said:

Now here he was, celebrating with Charlie (no pun intended) and then all of sudden he hears the referee saying the fight isn't over! That it's to continue! Even though he has just seen an opponent knocked out! So how can it be so inconceivable (as it appears to be to the majority of you) that he's being honest when he's says part of the reason he initially lost it was because he felt the same crap was happening again or could happen again, a referee was not stopping a fight despite it being clear that it should be. I mean, to me it would be bizarre if the Carvalho fight did not come into his head at that moment.

I could perhaps understand some slight doubt to his sincerity, especially from certain circles, but I certainly don't see anything to justify people that were fans of his calling him a liar in that regard. McGregor can be a wanker, no doubt about it, but I've never had him down as someone who would lie about something like that and I don't see anyone posting anything to justify that contention either. Perhaps they will, look forward to it.

Jesus Christ, i'm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, i'm out.

See ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

@OutlawPete. That's a long post explaining the actions of others and how they were at fault, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Surely you agree that McGregor should not have jumped the cage. In that he was wrong.

As a result, everything else that happened, people being pushed, punched, people falling over downed fighters, was as a direct result of his actions. If not for McGregor entering the cage, none of the rest of it would have happened.

Otherwise, if we are to say that others are at fault, the suggestion is that either Mcgregor was entitled to do what he did in jumping into the cage before the end of the bout, suggesting that anybody could do the same, or that McGregor, being who he is, should have had the rules suspended for him, and the officials should have allowed him free reign to do as he pleased.

If the argument is that the officials should have dealt with it better/differently, then in my opinion, I would cut them more slack than I would McGregor, as they were trying to deal with a situation not of their making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,896 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'll tell you if you tell me what your point was

I had sleep to be getting but I see Mellor didn't and explained what you couldn't get from my heavily sarcastic post :)

Might be worth reading something again before trying to be condescending ;)

On this, we agree. Not that we ever had differing opinions mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Nal wrote: »
    I'm not McGregor's biggest fan in terms of how he gets on, but he doesn't come remotely close to the levels of gob****e-ery and arsehole-ry of Niall Harbison. The man is an absolute toad. If he got a selfie with McGregor this afternoon he'd have it plastered over every single one of those sites he runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

"The only redeeming factor here is that the fight game loves a good comeback story, and I am seriously hoping for one - but I fear McGregor might yet have further to fall."

Covering his ass so he can later say "Well I did hope he'd come back, and I did say "might yet..." "

Gutter journalism and a typical example of the "anyone with a blog is a journalist" epidemic we have in 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Does it matter though? Guinness isn't representing Ireland in any official capacity, but it's pretty cool to know that a beer brewed in my home country is one of the most popular beers in the world. U2 aren't representing Ireland in an official capacity, but it certainly feels goos as an Irishman when a band from my home country wins a grammy.

Humans are tribal creatures at heart, and seeing somebody from one's own tribe attaining international recognition feels good psychologically. Hence why, for example, people who have absolutely no interest in football teams will often still cheer for Ireland and get properly invested in watching the world cup or the euros. I'm pretty sure this is a fairly deep rooted human thing, which a lot of people share in without necessarily thinking about why.

Guinness may be brewed here, but Arthur Guinness would probably be turning in his grave at the fact that it is a symbol of Irishness.

"In general, the Guinness family became Irish Unionists and Arthur Guinness accepted the system,[12] with Arthur "directly opposed to any movement toward Irish independence" and wanting "Ireland to remain under English control".

Thats the issue with blindly following people and especially "brands". They put the best face out in public, its called PR, you have to look beyond that. Same with McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anybody see his FB post last night 'fuelling up'

Pic taken in a petrol station that is about 3minutes from SBG and he's wearing tracksuit... here's hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

His actions showed the complete opposite of what he described.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Some people really need to read Marc Goddards statement.

There's a man who admitted and accepted he got something wrong. His statement has far more credibility than McGregor looking out for a fighter who might suffer the same fate as Joao Carvalho.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Some people really need to read Marc Goddards statement.

There's a man who admitted and accepted he got something wrong. His statement has far more credibility than McGregor looking out for a fighter who might suffer the same fate as Joao Carvalho.

McGregor could definitely do with going through it. Maybe if one of his lackeys printed it out in quarters and gave it to him to read over the course of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Looks like outlaw Pete deleted this nonsense “Now that that is dealt with, let me move on to deal with some of the other nonsense I've been reading. Specifically the sanctimonious rubbish that McGregor's using the death of Joao Carvalho and is lying when he suggests that it was something that contributed to him losing it.”

Jesus man I actually feel sorry for you

As for lads proud of Guinness,Jesus,I always wondered who the fools who bought into aurthurs day were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Guinness is only Irish because it suits them. Brexit will probably keep them here now but they were close to leaving altogether over the years. And they sacked all the 1916 rebels the bleedin tans. It's even black and tan in colour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is he worth as much as he says he is driving around in a 152 i8? I sure as hell wouldn't be if I was worth his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

rob316 wrote: »
    Is he worth as much as he says he is driving around in a 152 i8? I sure as hell wouldn't be if I was worth his money.

What's wrong with a 152 i8? It's still a current model and hasn't seen a massive amount of use. Plus it's only one of the fleet, seems to be his favorite though.

If I won the Euromillions I'd probably be driving an M3 or some such as the 'daily' and have the exotica at home for the nice weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement