Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 4) *Updated Warning in 1st Post Re:Boxing match

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,127 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

rob316 wrote: »
    Is he worth as much as he says he is driving around in a 152 i8? I sure as hell wouldn't be if I was worth his money.

Ahhhhhhhhhh feck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Yeah he should buy a **** ton of expensive cars then be forced to put them on ebay 2 years later for 1/4 of their value (cough cough mayweather)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

I'm not McGregor's biggest fan in terms of how he gets on, but he doesn't come remotely close to the levels of gob****e-ery and arsehole-ry of Niall Harbison. The man is an absolute toad. If he got a selfie with McGregor this afternoon he'd have it plastered over every single one of those sites he runs.

If there is one good thing to come out this sorry episode it is the outing of this knobend Niall Harbison as the worst king of band wagon jumping nuthugger and the news that he is now officially exiting the bandwagon and the hugging of conors nuts! The guy is a serious plonker. Not a dickybird about conor or mma pre the brimmage fight and next thing he is lecturing everyone about what a star we have in our midst and dont even know it. I'd say this may be the turning point for Conor - finding out that Harbo doesnt like him no more.

Anybody see his FB post last night 'fuelling up'

Pic taken in a petrol station that is about 3minutes from SBG and he's wearing tracksuit... here's hoping

is that how the posse members earn their keep - by manning the pumps while lord muck poses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anybody see his FB post last night 'fuelling up'

Pic taken in a petrol station that is about 3minutes from SBG and he's wearing tracksuit... here's hoping

That he put in enough petrol to make it to the gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The Nal wrote: »
    That he put in enough petrol to make it to the gym?

More hoping he was in the gym. Early in camps you'd often see the lights on in there with the shutters down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Coach Kavanagh‏ in reply to someone on twitter:

"I did not defend nor do I condone those actions. It's not how he should have acted. He knows that and so do I. He apologized so you accept that or you do not. There is nothing more to say on this."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Coach Kavanagh‏ in reply to someone on twitter:

"I did not defend nor do I condone those actions. It's not how he should have acted. He knows that and so do I. He apologized so you accept that or you do not. There is nothing more to say on this."
    Still looks bad for JK the fact CM released a statement after John was asked.

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Still looks bad for JK the fact CM released a statement after John was asked.

Yes don't agree that it's been handled at all well.

Of course like many on here I'll still be excited to see him fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭LastLagoon

Yeah it’s the mirror but it’s a JK quote,Mcgregor not fighting till April 18 at the earliest

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/conor-mcgregor-wont-return-ufc-11533632

Strip him now,no reason not to of this is true,that’ll be 18 months no defense when healthy and able to fight

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

#Fakenews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,569 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've been following McGregor since before most UFC fans any clue who he was (talking globally here). I'm a fan of the guy who stepped up at short notice to fight for the CW belt. Who knocked out Brimage and stole the show in press conferences. Even when he was he blazing through the FW division. He talked ****, but post fight (e.g. Brandao, Mendes, Aldo, Nate) he show what he really thought (respect for top fighters). Some will disagree, I don't care. Look at the fighter without two brass pennies, calling into the children's ward with his belts. That's not an egomaniac.
    With no fight to train for. He's at a loose end. The devil makes work for idle hands. And money is the ultimate corrupter. Permanently out of camp and endless partying and multi-day benders will delude most. Self preservation becomes the goal and the result is last Saturday.
    His comments about dancing monkeys have become ironic, as that looks to be the issue right now. I'm not a fan of this Conor.
    If he gets back in camp, back to basics and fights Tony. I'll get back on board, maybe.

That's the normal reasonable response. Examine and adjust your your opinions over time as evidence changes. Refusing to budge ever is the sign of a fanboy (or a hater). Criticising Conor for stuff you let other away with is just being a hypocrite.

Onwards to 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Some fighters offering a range of opinions on podcasts I'll transcribe a few relevant comments:

Daniel Cormier:

"Everything Conor has done in the past was thought out, planned, with a purpose. For a guy like that to set such high goals and to have achieved everything he ever wanted, to now move without a purpose is scary. As a guy that likes watching him fight and likes what he has done for the sport, that's concerning to me. Is there just too much comfort in what he's accomplished? Guys like Conor are always chasing the next big thing, what is it?

He has good people around him and they really need to tell him to reel it in. John Kavanagh, Owen Roddy, his girlfriend, his parents, they are good people. At the end of the day, you are who you are and still be you but there needs to be some normalcy because you're not just representing yourself and a team, you have a kid now and at some point your kid is gonna see all this stuff."

Matt Serra (goes off on him):

"If I did that, if anybody did that, they'd be called a fcuking asshole. How does this guy get a pass? Because he's got Ireland behind him? He's acting like a fcuking asshole!"

"That official, I don't know if he's got a family or if he has kids, he's telling a guy to get off the cage, Conor smacks him in the face. Who the fcuk is he to smack somebody in the face? He jumps on the cage like an attention whore and the fcuking guy tells him to get off and then he fcuking mushes him, he smacks him. That's not acceptable to do that to another human being.

"I don't give a fcuk how much money you make. Who gives you the right to smack another man? I just think it's funny that people are like, 'Oh, well you know, that's Conor. He's bigger than life.' He's allowed to smack somebody? Man, fcuk that dude! I'd rip his shoulders off.

It was in Dublin. The whole arena had his back, if anyone laid a finger on Conor in that cage there'd have been a riot. Man fcuk that guy. He's a bully and I hate bullies.

I don't even think Nate's hand even got to his fcuking bicep while he was strangling him and he was already tapping. Listen if someone is strangling you, you can either do what Holly Holm or Michael Bisping did, thinking if I can just get to that other hand, I might be able to escape OR you can do what Conor did and punk out.

I enjoy watching the guy fight, he's got great striking but it doesn't give you a pass to be an asshole"

Chael Sonnen:

"He assaulted MJ (Mike Johnson, Bellator official) so that's changed the relationship between Conor and I, I'm mad about it. He interrupted a multi-million dollar television event, he assaulted a referee. It's more alarming to me that none of his team-mates post-fight came out and said anything (critical), if I was in that situation Mike Mazzulli wouldn't have needed to do a thing because there wouldn't be a thing needing doing by the time my coach was finished with me and I wouldn't have said a word (in backchat). There doesn't appear to be anyone around him taking a leadership role.

When I'm watching him on this slope it's hard not to come to the conclusion he needs to slow down. He's "marking out for his own gimmick". As human beings we are who we pretend to be. Sooner or later guys start to become their character. The Ultimate Warrior marked out for his own gimmick so bad he changed his actual name to Warrior. It's like dude, that's a character you're playing Jim! Now you're just being a fool (when you do that).

I'm like "Hey Conor you're not really a creep. You just play one on tv. You're not really a guy out of his mind who can't keep his cool. You just play one on tv. Then you go back to your real life, to Dee, to your baby, to your gym. He's marking out for his own gimmick.

Youth, fame and money. We have not seen that combination end well very many times."

Michael Bisping:

"I thought it was hilarious. When he tried to run at Marc it reminded me of a cartoon where the character's legs are moving but he's not going anywhere. But obviously you can't be acting like that. I'm sure he woke up the next morning thinking 'sh1t what did I do last night' and trust me I know that feeling, it was every weekend in my twenties waking up hungover thinking 'I shouldn't have done that'.

Marc Goddard is a really good friend of mine and a good guy. I think it's all to do with what happened in Gdansk but Marc was right to tell him to sit down because it can be distracting for a fighter when a guy is running around the cage yelling advice while you're in there trying to fight. I'm guilty of doing that too myself when Paul Kelly fought years ago, I wasn't a licensed cornerman but I was walking around the cage shouting in advice.

Nothing will happen over it. The only person who could maybe do anything would be the guy who lost the fight (John Redmond) he could maybe file a civil suit but he won't do that because he's a fighter not a little b1tch so nothing will happen".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

That's true what Bisping said. Conor did look like a fecken cartoon character in there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

There doesn't appear to be anyone around him taking a leadership role.

He needs this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Asus X540L wrote: »
    That's true what Bisping said. Conor did look like a fecken cartoon character in there.

And it was hilarious.

The Nal wrote: »
    And it was hilarious.

Never forget.

The most impressive thing is that he can move fast and jabber-gurn at the same time. (look at his mouth)

oQVy8Y.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

It reminded me of a Saturday night outside nightclub when fights are breaking out you have guys running about like that. Its like they don't have full control of their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

So Conor not to fight until April, UFC will probably allow it and put it down to, oh well we made an exception due to the May/Mac fight... snore.

Does anyone here think its actually acceptable to hold up the division for 18 months? Tony should not have to defend an interim belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, like something out of Scooby Doo.

Zoiks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You and your relentless fanaticism are utterly laughable. Sad, sad stuff.

Thanks whoring nonsense. Why don't you quote something I said and explain why you feel it's inaccurate.

Like the following users did:
    cletus wrote: »
    Surely you agree that McGregor should not have jumped the cage. In that he was wrong. As a result, everything else that happened, people being pushed, punched, people falling over downed fighters, was as a direct result of his actions. If not for McGregor entering the cage, none of the rest of it would have happened.

I addressed that:
    Nope, him jumping into the octagon (while certainly pretentious and dickish) was in and of itself, harmless, and had the fight been been over (as McGregor had understandably presumed it was) then it would have been a non event, just as it was when he jumped in the cage in Belfast.

Otherwise, if we are to say that others are at fault, the suggestion is that either Mcgregor was entitled to do what he did in jumping into the cage before the end of the bout, suggesting that anybody could do the same, or that McGregor, being who he is, should have had the rules suspended for him, and the officials should have allowed him free reign to do as he pleased.

Wow. That's one hell of a strawman argument there. I never at any stage claimed that Conor was "entitled" to jump in the cage or that he should have "the rules suspended for him". Even in my last post I said:
    .... let the officials do their job with regards to getting Conor out of the octagon......

If the argument is that the officials should have dealt with it better/differently, then in my opinion, I would cut them more slack than I would McGregor, as they were trying to deal with a situation not of their making

No, my argument is that Goddard was needlessly physically aggressive to McGregor, antagonizing him and had the dope in the shirt not pushed the Bellator guy into Redmond, like a fcuking moron, then Redmond wouldn't have fallen over. I don't see how Conor is responsible for those two things just because they wouldn't have happened if hadn't jumped in the ring. It's not as if he jumped in swinging an axe.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    the idiot in the shirt and tie could be McGregor's security, not bellator's

Oh that's absolutely what he is. No question.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    Some people really need to read Marc Goddards statement.

There's a man who admitted and accepted he got something wrong. His statement has far more credibility than McGregor looking out for a fighter who might suffer the same fate as Joao Carvalho.

Hogwash. Goddard's statement is just as self serving as McGregor's, if not more so.

He starts off:
    Goddard wrote:
    At this point Conor McGregor, who had once again been stood for the entire duration of the round in close proximity of the cage....

This shows you that Goddard has a bee in his bonnet about how Conor behaves at his fights and lets not forget that in the build up to the fight he had said this to the media (with regards to the fight in Poland):
    "Conor was basically acting like a fourth cornerman. Walking around the cage side wherever and whenever he wanted.

"I won’t have it. He can’t do as he pleases."

In the statement he also says:
    Goddard wrote:
    ....watch the video and you will see very clearly that I have my arms in between Charlie and Conor whilst trying to tell Charlie to return to his corner and let me make my determination, pushing fighters, or anyone unnecessarily so is simply not in my nature, or protocol of conduct to do so. It is then again, clearly, that you will see Conor McGregor who put his hands on my chest to shove me........

THIS IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED.

He is saying that he has his hands in between Charlie and Conor and that Conor shoves his chest. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Are people blind?? Conor definitely starts running his mouth when he hears Charlie being told the fight is not over, but he never lays a hand on Goddard at that stage. Goddard then begins to walk over to Redmond, puts his left hand in the air, but it's clear that he must hear Conor saying something behind him that he doesn't like as he turns back around and pushes at Conor with both his hands. Conor instinctively pushes back at him. That doesn't mean Conor was right to then go after him and push him, bit it's a far bloody cry from what Goddard would have us believe happened is the point.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    I've been following McGregor since before most UFC fans any clue who he was (talking globally here). I'm a fan of the guy who stepped up at short notice to fight for the CW belt. Who knocked out Brimage and stole the show in press conferences. Even when he was he blazing through the FW division. He talked ****, but post fight (e.g. Brandao, Mendes, Aldo, Nate) he show what he really thought (respect for top fighters). Some will disagree, I don't care. Look at the fighter without two brass pennies, calling into the children's ward with his belts. That's not an egomaniac.
    With no fight to train for. He's at a loose end. The devil makes work for idle hands. And money is the ultimate corrupter. Permanently out of camp and endless partying and multi-day benders will delude most. Self preservation becomes the goal and the result is pat Saturday.
    His comments about by dancing monkeys has become ironic, as that looks to be the issue right now. I'm not a fan of this Conor.
    If he gets back in camp, back to basics and fights Tony. I'll get back on board, maybe.

That's the normal reasonable response. Examine and adjust your your opinions over time as evidence changes. Refusing to budge ever is the sign of a fanboy (or a hater). Criticising Conor for stuff you let other away with I'd just bring a hypocrite.

Onwards to 2018.

A lot of sense in this post.

So Conor not to fight until April, UFC will probably allow it and put it down to, oh well we made an exception due to the May/Mac fight... snore.

Does anyone here think its actually acceptable to hold up the division for 18 months? Tony should not have to defend an interim belt

you would think that with just one organisation that all this sort of stuff would be much smoother than with boxing with all the WBO, WBC, WBA, IBF organisations but it doesn't prove to be, not in this case anyways.

it's all about the money, not belts and champions - the UFC got money from the mayweather fight remember

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/4/16100894/conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-ufc-purse-split-boxing-mma-news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

brevity wrote: »
    Yea, like something out of Scooby Doo.

Zoiks!!!

If you didn't know any better and you arrived into the point, you'd think some random Dublin scanger managed to get into the cage.

Hard to believe it's actually one of the most dangerous unarmed men on the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭cletus

@outlaw Pete, I won't quote your whole post, but I'd like to make a few points. What I said about McGregor either being entitled or having the rules suspended for him was not a strawman, only a logical step forward if you are going to excuse any or all of his behaviour, or if you are going to suggest that others are at fault for the proceedings in the cage.

Quite simply, imo, McGregor is completely at fault for everything that happened after he jumped the cage. If he had not done that one thing, none of the proceedings actions would have happened. In law it's intent.

It makes no material difference whether he pushed, or somebody else pushed the person on top of Paul Redmond, it happened as a direct result of his actions, and had he not acted the way he did, none of the subsequent circumstances would have come to pass. Conor was totally and completely at fault for everything that happened in the cage once he entered.

Anyway, I know that yourself and some other posters are as entrenched in your opinion as I am in mine, and at the end of the day it matters little outside the bubble of MMA, so I'm probably gonna leave it here

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Quite simply, imo, McGregor is completely at fault for everything that happened after he jumped the cage. If he had not done that one thing, none of the proceedings actions would have happened. In law it's intent.

It makes no material difference whether he pushed, or somebody else pushed the person on top of Paul Redmond, it happened as a direct result of his actions, and had he not acted the way he did, none of the subsequent circumstances would have come to pass. Conor was totally and completely at fault for everything that happened in the cage once he entered.

Agreed. And I'm pretty sure that if this was a case in front of Judge Judy, she would come to the same conclusion. And lets face it, Judge Judy knows best. He made an ass of himself....

Still can't wait until his next fight in MMA regardless....

THIS IS NOT WHAT HAPPENED.

He is saying that he has his hands in between Charlie and Conor and that Conor shoves his chest. THIS IS NOT TRUE. Are people blind?? Conor definitely starts running his mouth when he hears Charlie being told the fight is not over, but he never lays a hand on Goddard at that stage. Goddard then begins to walk over to Redmond, puts his left hand in the air, but it's clear that he must hear Conor saying something behind him that he doesn't like as he turns back around and pushes at Conor with both his hands. Conor instinctively pushes back at him. That doesn't mean Conor was right to then go after him and push him, bit it's a far bloody cry from what Goddard would have us believe happened is the point.

giphy.gif

It's difficult to see after Charlie and Conor are separated Conor has not accepted that and is still going forward, Marc puts his hand out I think Conor walks into it pushes Marc and Marc instinctively pushes back, Conor was still moving forward. It doesn't take much to trigger Conor. Of course he was aware that Conor was outside the ring, he can hear the corners shouting, Conor's advice is probably a bit different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why can't folks just call it....he acted in a deliberate and contrived loutish fashion. It led to the chaos in the octagon. Nothing to do with Goddard, emotions, happy for his friend, caught up in the moments blah blah blah. He knew what he was doing because he planned to do it. He thought it up and he made sure it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

walshb wrote: »
    Why can't folks just call it....he acted in a deliberate and contrived loutish fashion. It led to the chaos in the octagon. Nothing to do with Goddard, emotions, happy for his friend, caught up in the moments blah blah blah. He knew what he was doing because he planned to do it. He thought it up and he made sure it happened.

Of all the wrong opinions being spouted, this is somehow the most wrong!

I think both sides, either (i) defending or (ii) condoning would agree that is definitely not what happened.

I reckon you're on your own here. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,803 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement